shape
carat
color
clarity

job interview -- advice & dust

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope Company 4 will make an offer. All the comments you made about the interview results sound very promising.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No news yet from company 4.

Just had an in person interview with company 3. Went really well (scheduled 2 hours but ran 3).

Another question:

These are through recruiters (like Cybercoders and another place). One of them always asks if DH is interviewing other places and what kind (in person or phone). Is this good to share? Should he be vague or specific?

Also, if it is a good idea, would it make sense to let the recruiter that is arranging stuff with company 4 know that he had a great in person with another company?

We don't want to rush them and have them say no because of the rush but DH really really likes company 4 and would rather accept an offer from them than company 3. But we really need him working so if company 3 offers, he'd have to accept.

(Recruiters are with recruiting companies, not directly with the companies being interviewed at)

ETA: DH just got a call from company 4 recruiter. All feedback good. All interviewers liked him and his skills. Have a couple more interviews to do this week. They hope to have "firm information" next week as the engineering manager is figuring out where to put people.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's good news, TP! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1442439512|3928582 said:
No news yet from company 4.

Just had an in person interview with company 3. Went really well (scheduled 2 hours but ran 3).

Another question:

These are through recruiters (like Cybercoders and another place). One of them always asks if DH is interviewing other places and what kind (in person or phone). Is this good to share? Should he be vague or specific?

Also, if it is a good idea, would it make sense to let the recruiter that is arranging stuff with company 4 know that he had a great in person with another company?

We don't want to rush them and have them say no because of the rush but DH really really likes company 4 and would rather accept an offer from them than company 3. But we really need him working so if company 3 offers, he'd have to accept.

(Recruiters are with recruiting companies, not directly with the companies being interviewed at)

ETA: DH just got a call from company 4 recruiter. All feedback good. All interviewers liked him and his skills. Have a couple more interviews to do this week. They hope to have "firm information" next week as the engineering manager is figuring out where to put people.
I am vague and say that I am recruiting at other places. I don't share the names of the places that I am interviewing at. I do share that the talks have been positive. I am not in HR, but I think that it makes me seem more desirable. Otherwise, if I were the recruiter, I'd wonder why no one else is interviewing this seemingly great candidate.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks SMC!

That is about what he has been doing. Not really volunteering but when asked, saying he is actively interviewing with several other companies (true) but not sharing details.

There was one job he was applying for through an online site (directly through company I think) where they wanted to know specifically where he had applied in the last number of months, how many interviews he had had with each, who he had interviewed with at the company, and more. Yeah....
That was the point he decided he'd rather not work for a company that demanded that sort of stuff to even send a resume!

For others interviewing:

One question DH has been asked at every in person interview he has had this year is "Why do you want to work for a company like this?" Not in the context of explaining why he is interested (product, great company, etc) but specifically put to him in terms of why would someone with a resume and experience like he has be willing to work for a small company like them. (basically you are able to have your pick of any company out there and you chose us!?!? WHY!?!?)

Good to think about ahead of time! He was prepared with the usual answers to questions like "Why do you want to work here?" or "What experience do you have ..." but not that! (Better the 2nd time. Just a shock first time!)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1442551126|3929110 said:
http://www.brazencareerist.com/blog/2013/04/04/6-unexpected-benefits-of-working-for-a-small-business/

I love the quote, "why be a cog when you can move the whole machine."

Good point in article on the ability to work a project from start to finish in a small company.

Great article! Thanks for sharing.

DH has worked for mega companies, growing companies, start ups, small businesses, etc. He says stuff very similar to the article. It really is a whole different world!

Oh!
Got a phone call from recruiter working with company 3. All good feedback from interviewers. They are meeting to make final decisions tomorrow. Should know for sure by next week!

Would really really love to be able to come back next week and share the news of (at least!) one job offer. You ladies (and gentlemen) have been an amazing support through this last year. Thank you all so much!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Company #3 decline. Has the skills, just "not as good of a fit for their culture" as another. Not entirely sure what that means, but all very young in the building so suspect that as an issue.

Still waiting to hear from #4.

Phone interview with a different place later this week.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I'm sorry TP - I'm continuing to send best wishes and lots of dust for some good news soon.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1442884960|3930392 said:
Ah, I'm sorry TP - I'm continuing to send best wishes and lots of dust for some good news soon.

Me too. I'm so sorry. :(sad

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry for these troubles, TP, but there's still company number 4, and hey, at least you are getting interviews and getting good feedback! Something will come up for you, I know it will. Sending you shimmering rains of sparkly job dust!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending more job dust to your husband. I hope you two get good news soon!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
So much dust to you and your H, Toopatient! We are going through similar times right now, and boy oh boy is it stressful! I keep reminding myself that good things are just as likely as bad, and that better times will come again. I believe that for you too! (((Hugs)))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1442881566|3930380 said:
Company #3 decline. Has the skills, just "not as good of a fit for their culture" as another. Not entirely sure what that means, but all very young in the building so suspect that as an issue.

Still waiting to hear from #4.

Phone interview with a different place later this week.

And that is that. #4 Decline. "We really like him. We just don't have a position for him right now."

The expected phone interview never happened. They didn't even set up as they said they wanted.

Plus too many more applications and recruiters to even bother listing. Add about 1 recruiter and 6 applications per day.

Feeling so down. No other interviews lined up. No calls back. Just nothing.

Applying to A's school to waive her class fees. Applying to a fund for emergency loan. 3 months behind on mortgage. In pre-foreclosure. Applying to mortgage for forebearance through VA loan backing.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TP, I'm sorry to hear interview #4 didn't work out for DH. Hoping he finds a great recruiter soon who can make the right job match for him.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
TP, I am in your area and my company (tech) is hiring in R&D. Let me contact you offline and see if there is anything within my company that might be a fit. I don't know your DH's qualifications and I am also not in development, so not sure if I can be of any help - but will try if appropriate.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

So sorry the job interviews didn't pan out. It doesn't surprise me that much for I believe his age is very much against him now. There really is ageism(Sp) in our society and it may be continue to be difficult in the future. I think you need to make a plan on how to survive.

If your home has some equity in it, consider selling it before the bank forecloses. All of you need to get some full-time work even at a lower wage structure. I include your stepdaughter in that too. She can get a part-time job and contribute something. You don't want to end up homeless. What happened to the idea of watching kids in your house?

Unfortunately you must attack this problem on different fronts. Your husband must continue looking in his field and look for something else. Car salesman? Its Christmas soon and jobs can be found.

So sorry. This is a big problem for anyone.

Annette

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1443644455|3933561 said:
Hi,

So sorry the job interviews didn't pan out. It doesn't surprise me that much for I believe his age is very much against him now. There really is ageism(Sp) in our society and it may be continue to be difficult in the future. I think you need to make a plan on how to survive.

If your home has some equity in it, consider selling it before the bank forecloses. All of you need to get some full-time work even at a lower wage structure. I include your stepdaughter in that too. She can get a part-time job and contribute something. You don't want to end up homeless. What happened to the idea of watching kids in your house?

Unfortunately you must attack this problem on different fronts. Your husband must continue looking in his field and look for something else. Car salesman? Its Christmas soon and jobs can be found.

So sorry. This is a big problem for anyone.

Annette

Sad, but true. This is where we are and have been looking. I am applying for everything from stocking shelves to bank teller to IT support to systems administration. Everything from way below what I could to a bit of a stretch.
Same for DH.

I just talked to the mortgage company. Getting a forebearance request going. Best case, we have $100,000 in equity. If forebearance doesn't come through we will have to sell. Bank will allow that. Best choice would be to pay cash for an auction manufactured a bit out of town. Otherwise find somewhere to rent.

Good suggestion on "A". She has been wanting. I should find out if the tutoring center is hiring. (I know the owner and he would be good with me checking first.. Would prefer even)

I also can sell some more from around the house. Rather lose some stuff than the house.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can someone help? I have a gold necklace that is 39 grams of solid 10kt. Every melt calculator I check says one thing but the jeweler gave a number almost half that. He did say he may have calculated wrong as it was just quick estimate. (I was listing for sale and wanted to avoid the people who buy just to melt so rough was okay.)

I am debating dropping sale price or taking for melt. I just want to go in with good idea of whether offer is fair or not.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient - I have no advice, but just wanted to say that I'm sorry that yu guys are dealing with this :blackeye: I will keep my fingers crossed that things start turning around for you. Please keep us updated.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Has he been mentioning his personal side projects during these interviews? I suggest that he not do that.

As someone that has hired/fired many employees over the years, I will always go for the one that gives me zero hesitancy.

Have you considered moving to another area? Relocate for a job? Sometimes fate tries to tell us something, and when there are lots of difficulties, sometimes it's time to consider another path.

Dust for you, piles of dust. Sorry that you're in this difficult phase right now. :(sad

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1443665042|3933672 said:
Has he been mentioning his personal side projects during these interviews? I suggest that he not do that.

As someone that has hired/fired many employees over the years, I will always go for the one that gives me zero hesitancy.

Have you considered moving to another area? Relocate for a job? Sometimes fate tries to tell us something, and when there are lots of difficulties, sometimes it's time to consider another path.

Dust for you, piles of dust. Sorry that you're in this difficult phase right now. :(sad

Interesting question... He would never mention side stuff, but he does have our little company listed on his resume. I know that has caused some question at a couple of interviews but he didn't even get phone calls until that was added on. I have heard some of his answers on phone interviews and he basically puts it as he enjoys coding and software projects so set the company up as a way to get some of the stuff he writes out there for people to use. Happy to walk away from company as the product is done and now it is just out there to be used and doesn't need his help.

Said nicer than that, but that is the gist. Not sure if this is good or bad?

We have been talking about leaving the area if a company wanted him to relocate. This is not really a good choice for us, but we have not ruled it out entirely. Moving would almost certainly mean massive legal expenses as A's mother is in this area too. She started to melt down when SHE suggested I finish my degree at a university two hours away. Knowing her and what we have been through, it would be an ugly expensive move.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1443660385|3933639 said:
Can someone help? I have a gold necklace that is 39 grams of solid 10kt. Every melt calculator I check says one thing but the jeweler gave a number almost half that. He did say he may have calculated wrong as it was just quick estimate. (I was listing for sale and wanted to avoid the people who buy just to melt so rough was okay.)

I am debating dropping sale price or taking for melt. I just want to go in with good idea of whether offer is fair or not.
What value are you getting? When I plug in 39g for 10K gold, I get a value of ~$580.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1443669896|3933693 said:

What value are you getting? When I plug in 39g for 10K gold, I get a value of ~$580.

Same here. Jeweler offered $300

SMC

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1443670317|3933695 said:

After reading some more, your jeweler's quote is not entirely out of line though it is on the low end. This article was useful: http://www.kiplinger.com/article/saving/T015-C000-S002-smart-ways-to-sell-your-gold.html

"When you sell gold coins or bars, you should expect to receive at least 90% to 95% of the current market value. But with gold jewelry, you’re likely to get only 70% to 80% of the melt value. The difference reflects the dealer’s profit, plus the cost of melting and refining your gold and turning it into new gold jewelry or bullion."

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1443671996|3933702 said:
TooPatient|1443670317|3933695 said:

After reading some more, your jeweler's quote is not entirely out of line though it is on the low end. This article was useful: http://www.kiplinger.com/article/saving/T015-C000-S002-smart-ways-to-sell-your-gold.html

"When you sell gold coins or bars, you should expect to receive at least 90% to 95% of the current market value. But with gold jewelry, you’re likely to get only 70% to 80% of the melt value. The difference reflects the dealer’s profit, plus the cost of melting and refining your gold and turning it into new gold jewelry or bullion."

Ah! Thank you!
I knew I had read about percentages but couldn't find them when I went looking.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry the job didn't work out, TP. Best wishes to you and your family.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient, I'm sorry the job search has not yet been successful and I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and sending out lots of good vibes to all of you. I know the right opportunity will come your way and I am sorry it is taking so long. (((Hugs))).

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just wanted to comment on the merits of having listed his own company on the resume. It shows initiative, and his belief in himself to have the skills necessary to start a company. I worked with construction people, and so many had tried their own business. We liked that even if it wasn't a go for them. Your own business is really hard and we looked on that piece of their employment history very favorably. So, I would keep it on there.

Your house has too much equity to lose it, so be careful. Yes, most of us wouldn't want to lose our house, and if the FED would raise interest rates, you could put your money in the bank and that interest on 100,000 would help.

The Costco idea I like, because they also pay Ok. If there is one near you, try that.

Just to let you know, I've been there, and was very scared at the time. I too went to food pantries, and said thank you to a lot of people. A man I hardly knew offered to pay my mortgage for me. Many good people.

Its Oct. so the I heap gas and electric subsidy begins in my state. Call a food pantry to find out if you get this subsidy. I think its Federal, administered by the state--not sure.(it was 2months electric, and 2 months of gas, which is how I heat my home, so it was a big help.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results