shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Still Buy "Learner" Stones?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious if anyone who has been collecting for awhile still buys "learner" stones. For example, choosing an inexpensive gemstone you are not experienced with, that in your opinion has the color you are looking for, but may have inclusions or a less than ideal cut. Or do you do all the research and buy the best color and cut that your budget allows for a new gemstone type?

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think a stone with great colour but isn't eye clean is considered a "learner" stone, especially, if the buyer makes that deliberate and informed choice. Please do not take offense as I am trying to understand your question. :angel:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, good question. Yes, I think I would definitely end up with learner stones along the way of finding a new gem type. I'm not sure it would be purposeful, but I would likely see something I thought was lovely, purchase it, and then as my knowledge and precise desires for that particular stone type developed, realize that what I had purchased, while lovely was not exactly what I wanted and would therefore consider it a learner stone. Does that help? :))

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1441742249|3925162 said:
Hmm, good question. Yes, I think I would definitely end up with learner stones along the way of finding a new gem type. I'm not sure it would be purposeful, but I would likely see something I thought was lovely, purchase it, and then as my knowledge and precise desires for that particular stone type developed, realize that what I had purchased, while lovely was not exactly what I wanted and would therefore consider it a learner stone. Does that help? :))

Yes that helps. :)

Chrono- I will explain. I learn so much from other forum members, and there may be multiple pictures and examples of certain gemstones. I think "I might like a spess garnet" and look for one that I believe has a good color but may not be "top" color of cut just to try it out. I was wondering if some collectors take this as a step back in not choosing a stone that is closer to ideal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1441740697|3925146 said:
I am curious if anyone who has been collecting for awhile still buys "learner" stones. For example, choosing an inexpensive gemstone you are not experienced with, that in your opinion has the color you are looking for, but may have inclusions or a less than ideal cut. Or do you do all the research and buy the best color and cut that your budget allows for a new gemstone type?

Thanks!

I haven't done this--likely because I am too much of a "newbie" to CS buying, but I like the idea. Especially if you think you might like something totally out of your comfort zone (e.g. colors you've never been drawn to). For me, if I ever were drawn to an orange or yellow color stone (just my own example), I would likely want to buy something on the cheaper side to double check myself and make sure I wasn't just going through a short-lived excitement about something, only to regret purchasing it later :) I guess my only experience with this is that I've been playing with the idea of getting a red stone, but certainly won't be springing for the highest end spinel, just because I don't trust myself yet. Sometimes I just get a bad case of stone envy after seeing these beauties on other people, only to realize that such a color/style would look terrible on me :lol: So I will likely eventually get a nicely colored garnet or something just to "test drive" the red. Just my 2 cents on it though :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If learner stones = mistakes, then yes, especially with yellow CSs.

DK :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see learner stones as stones that weren't what I was expecting because I didn't take something into consideration. A less expensive stone to test a colour wouldn't be a learner stone in my opinion, as long as you are getting what you expect.

Right now, I am buying learner pearls. And, boy, do I have much to learn!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1441746336|3925200 said:
If learner stones = mistakes, then yes, especially with yellow CSs.

DK :))

+1 :wall:

At this point, I still consider every stone is still a learner stone. What I love, what I will wear, what I won't...and what I would spend more on for an upgrade. I have yet to go all out on a single purchase. I can't see doing this as I like variety and trying new things. I often think what I could have if I added up my little purchases...but my tastes change too often.

That being said, I no longer buy pure learner stones - inexpensive stones that they are too dark or poorly cut for me to enjoy.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I'm super picky at this point, at least, as picky as I can be with my budget. I ask a few key questions about cut and saturation, and return those that I'm not 100% in love with. I buy way fewer stones, and try not to worry about offending vendors either by ultimately deciding not to buy based on their answers, or returning stones if they don't live up to my expectations. I also don't buy stones if I'm not a solid 95% sure that I'm going to keep them. I don't venture into many new gemstone types, though, these days.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If nothing else, I've become very picky so if the stone has a flaw or isn't ideal, it is a deliberate choice. If the gem type is new to me, I will do the appropriate research and try to view as many of them in person as possible in order to avoid collecting learner stones that will never be loved. Any money tied up as such is money can could be saved, invested or better spent elsewhere.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
My options for viewing gemstones locally are quite limited, so I if I want to experience a new gem type in person buying a learner stone of that type is going to be necessary. Thanks in large part to PS, I've had great luck with most of my learner stones and really love my box of pretties even though many of them will probably never get set. So yeah, buying stones that I learn from rather than have specific plans to set will continue for me as long as I live here.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure my entire collection would be considered learner stones.
I like what I like and it's my money. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1441937219|3926346 said:
If you made an informed decision and still chose it anyway, it's not a learner stone. :))

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm still a leaner and probably will be for a long time, so any stone I own now or buy in the not-so-distant future is a 'learner stone' by the definition that it's owned by a learner!

Getting some Rhodolite, Spess and topaz rough from an awesome PS'er soon hopefully - apparently they're the lapidary learners, so they're destined to be my first learner stones for cutting. Rounds and Emerald cuts to begin with if I can, although they will probably be a farm of wonky cuts :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I don't like something I send it back and am pretty brutal about doing so, I used to select all sorts of things for my MIL's shop many years ago and endured many phone conversations with her about the difference between AAA grade and A grade stones and got lectured if I picked out anything she didn't think was up to scratch :lol: So I guess I have learned through trial and error not to pick out rubbish.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I would say I never have. Now, a lot of my stones aren't particularly high quality; they're either less than top color or very small, and many people here might consider them to be "learning stones." I don't, though. Every decision I've made has been informed, and every stone was purchased with the intent of setting and wearing in jewelry. I want to have a huge, varied collection, and the only way to do that without breaking the bank is to choose inexpensive stones that aren't particularly spectacular. I have an awesome Brazilian alexandrite with a gorgeous color change, but it's 3mm. Same with my radioactive-green Russian demantoid. I know there's grey in all of my blue/purple spinels, but I could never afford a cobalt blue. Etc, etc, etc. Variety is #1 for me, so I'll continue to buy affordable stones so I can own a little piece of everything!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1441938841|3926365 said:
texaskj|1441937219|3926346 said:
If you made an informed decision and still chose it anyway, it's not a learner stone. :))

I guess I never looked at it that way. I was thinking more of what Lisa wrote at the beginning, "choosing an inexpensive gemstone you are not experienced with, that in your opinion has the color you are looking for, but may have inclusions or a less than ideal cut."
I always look at color first and have a tendency to love really saturated stones. I bought a spinel from Tan on Ebay just to match a shirt.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
My tiny little collection is all learner stones that I bought because I wanted to see certain things IRL and there was no opportunity to go to gem shows where I live. I understood a lot from the few I got and have since stopped buying more and plan to get something I don't consider a learner stone - eventually.
Chrono said:
Any money tied up as such is money can could be saved, invested or better spent elsewhere.
+1

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
yes, but im still a learner ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results