color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

mtsapphirelovingannie|1441757190|3925283 said:
On impulse I bought a funky, colorful sapphire ring recently at my favorite b & m store. I'd call it a cluster ring.

It is lovely. I like the sapphires and the versatility of the ring.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

mtsapphirelovingannie|1441757190|3925283 said:
On impulse I bought a funky, colorful sapphire ring recently at my favorite b & m store. I'd call it a cluster ring.

I really like your ring. Very pretty colors in the sapphires.

S

SparkliesLuver

When it rains, it pours. My self-imposed ban has gone out the window. :wall: :lol:
I've had feelers out about an old stock Mahenge spinel for quite some time. The other week turned up something and I'm excited to finally be able to tell you! Jeff White has been holding onto two old stock rough pieces and he said he'd cut them for me. :dance: Initially I only wanted the larger one (which will cut a 1.1-1.5ct faceted stone), but I had second thoughts about leaving the smaller one behind (which will cut a .7-1.1ct faceted stone). So I emailed him back and said I wanted both! I figured I'd see what other old stock I can find and maybe make a really cool cluster ring someday like lilmosun's paraiba ring. Below is a picture of the larger piece. Absolutely cannot wait to see the finished stones! Oh, and the other reason why my ban has gone out the window (and is seriously in force now) is because I've reserved a piece of blue tourmaline rough from Newry, Maine that's been sitting in a vault since 1972. The vendor was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when the original vendor was letting it go. I don't have a picture of that one to share yet, but when I do I will.

_34223.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sparkliesluver that color is gorgeous. I can't wait to see it, after it's cut. :love:

Hope we get to hear more about the tourmaline soon too. :dance:

Too bad for your self imposed ban though...interesting how they very rarely work out, right? There's just too many lovely pieces out there. :naughty:

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, elle! :) I've seen a lot of newer Mahenge material that's more magenta and without the glow, which isn't what I was looking for. haha I know, right. Mine usually work out, but it's because they haven't been "top wants" on my list; however, the red spinel, the Mahenge and the Newry tourmaline are. I knew I'd regret each one if I turned down the opportunity, so that's when I knew I had to go for it.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1441888454|3926035 said:
Thank you, elle! :) I've seen a lot of newer Mahenge material that's more magenta and without the glow, which isn't what I was looking for. haha I know, right. Mine usually work out, but it's because they haven't been "top wants" on my list; however, the red spinel, the Mahenge and the Newry tourmaline are. I knew I'd regret each one if I turned down the opportunity, so that's when I knew I had to go for it.

Speaking of that red spinel. Have you gotten that in yet? I don't remember seeing pictures but I could have missed it.

S

SparkliesLuver

Yep, I sure did, elle! :D Look back two pages - I think it's there. I sent it to AGL yesterday, so fingers crossed it comes back as stated.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1441896614|3926083 said:
Yep, I sure did, elle! :D Look back two pages - I think it's there. I sent it to AGL yesterday, so fingers crossed it comes back as stated.

Ooh la la.. :love:
What gorgeous color!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! More fantastic rough from JW. I cannot wait until you show us pics of the pieces when they are cut.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

How exciting for you SparkliesLuver!!! You have got yourself some very particularly awesome beauties! That Mahenge spinel rough looks amazingly glowy! I can't wait to see them. And you are so right that when it rains it pours, but this is the kind I wouldn't mine taking at all. :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Yeah, I was pretty surprised and shocked when he sent the picture, minous. No hesitation there! haha I'm excited to see them cut as well. Hopefully it's within the next couple months.

Thanks, lovesvintage! :) I didn't expect things to happen quite like this, that's for sure. I see some glow in there as well, which is what I was looking (and hoping) for. You make an excellent point!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What an amazing piece of rough. I like :love: :love: :love:

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock

Not a great photo. By the window on an overcast day my DK chryso as well as the 4 loose stones from TGT
20150907_141020.jpg very happy with all of them :wavey:

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
What an amazing piece of rough. I like :love: :love: :love:

Thank you, Acinom. :D

S

SparkliesLuver

puppyguts said:
Not a great photo. By the window on an overcast day my DK chryso as well as the 4 loose stones from TGT

I love your new ring! It's sleek and gorgeous and classic. Now all we need are some hand shots (unless I've missed them)! :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1441885842|3926009 said:
When it rains, it pours. My self-imposed ban has gone out the window. :wall: :lol:
I've had feelers out about an old stock Mahenge spinel for quite some time. The other week turned up something and I'm excited to finally be able to tell you! Jeff White has been holding onto two old stock rough pieces and he said he'd cut them for me. :dance: Initially I only wanted the larger one (which will cut a 1.1-1.5ct faceted stone), but I had second thoughts about leaving the smaller one behind (which will cut a .7-1.1ct faceted stone). So I emailed him back and said I wanted both! I figured I'd see what other old stock I can find and maybe make a really cool cluster ring someday like lilmosun's paraiba ring. Below is a picture of the larger piece. Absolutely cannot wait to see the finished stones! Oh, and the other reason why my ban has gone out the window (and is seriously in force now) is because I've reserved a piece of blue tourmaline rough from Newry, Maine that's been sitting in a vault since 1972. The vendor was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when the original vendor was letting it go. I don't have a picture of that one to share yet, but when I do I will.

Yum, can I eat it? Looks like a cherry Jolly Rancher. :lickout:

S

SparkliesLuver

It does make you want to do that, doesn't it?! :naughty: It's funny you say that because I thought it looked like a watermelon one. Too funny, TL!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1441972882|3926483 said:
It does make you want to do that, doesn't it?! :naughty: It's funny you say that because I thought it looked like a watermelon one. Too funny, TL!

Oh, wow, I think we've just created a new color scale for gemstones. :praise:

S

SparkliesLuver

Aw, thank you, minous. :D Makes me feel really good that you like it so much as well!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

puppyguts|1441930844|3926297 said:

Ah, you have received your ring from DK! It's absolutely stunning. Please share a lot of handpics :appl:

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock

20150907_140018.jpg 20150911_161504.jpg 20150911_161600.jpg 20150911_161800.jpg 20150911_161353.jpg
20150911_161345_0.jpg 20150907_140156_0.jpg

Hey you go. Phone photos only unfortunately

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful set puppyguts.
Sparklie what a score! Red spinels, not one but two, I am envious. :bigsmile:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sparklie- how beautiful and exciting! I know you won't regret breaking your ban.

Puppyguts- What a beautiful chrysoberyl ring, and stones. The setting of the ring is rose gold- yes? You made a great choice IMHO in keeping the setting simple and elegant. The best thing is that chryso is so hard that you will be able to wear your ring for years and the stone will stand up to the wear. Well done! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Puppyguts: your new DK ring with Chrysoberyl looks amazing on you!!
Thanks for sharing. Your ring has this simple chique elegance. Just stunning!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Had a few things set today! Dark indoor lighting plus bad phone camera, but at least it gives you an idea. Left is my recent purchase from Gene, the imperial malaya garnet. It's similar to a rhodolite I have from Barry, but the malaya shifts and has more sparkle, whereas the rhodolite glows and generally holds its color but is prone to extinction. The spinel in the middle photographed horribly, but it's actually one of the nicer blues I have. Not too dark, close to a pure blue, and really doesn't grey out or shift much in real life...I promise! On the right is a Jeff Davies Namibian demantoid garnet. I wish there was a way to show the dispersion, because this thing is a fireball. The color is light enough to let the sparkle take center stage.

img_20150913_225505289.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jstarfireb: great new additions! Love your setting choices, they all seem to "fit" each stone. Do you buy the settings locally, or are they online finds? :love:

Puppyguts: that DK ring is great! So streamlined and sleek. Looks so good on your hand as well!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jstarfireb I'm loving all the new settings but that demantoid garnet...so gorgeous! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jstarfireb|1442211184|3927454 said:
Had a few things set today! Dark indoor lighting plus bad phone camera, but at least it gives you an idea. Left is my recent purchase from Gene, the imperial malaya garnet. It's similar to a rhodolite I have from Barry, but the malaya shifts and has more sparkle, whereas the rhodolite glows and generally holds its color but is prone to extinction. The spinel in the middle photographed horribly, but it's actually one of the nicer blues I have. Not too dark, close to a pure blue, and really doesn't grey out or shift much in real life...I promise! On the right is a Jeff Davies Namibian demantoid garnet. I wish there was a way to show the dispersion, because this thing is a fireball. The color is light enough to let the sparkle take center stage.
Not one but three fabulous rings!!! These are gorgeous :love: :love: :love: Who made the beautiful settings for you?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Thanks all! The settings are all online purchases. The malaya setting was from DB, spinel setting was like $16 for silver and CZ from some Thai eBay seller, and demantoid setting was from MyDiamondZone on eBay.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Managed to get a clearer shot of the demantoid when I was wearing it earlier today!

img_20150914_142338928.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results