carat
color
clarity

#JOTW It's Electric... and Blue! - Electric Blue Topaz stories

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arabella|1441850672|3925891 said:
My electric blue topaz trillion from Jeff Davies is here! :love: I love it so much. I definitely recommend anyone who is wanting some electric blue to follow the links DK posted in this thread. I personally think its too big for my baby sized hand to wear as a ring, but it will make a really nice pendant sometime in the future!

Wow that is gorgeous!!! What are the measurements of it? I love the cut and color--I've been wondering what his electric blues look like, and am happy to see it be so vibrant and lively in hand. Congrats on a great find!!

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Thank you lovedogs! It's 5.2 carats, 11.75 x 7.38 mm.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arabella,

Your JD trillion is gorgeous, thanks for sharing! :love:

It will make a nice statement cocktail ring. :naughty:

Besides, one gets used to wearing bigger rings/stones in no time, as CSSS exists.

DK :bigsmile:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JD has listed two new round EB Topaz if anyone is interested.

DK :))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok - now I hope you don't mind me saying this and I don't want to upset anybody because this thread has some gorgeous eye candy......

Since I've been collecting I've always thought of Topaz as not a collector's item - or even really acknowledged it as a gemstone. I'm sorry because I know how that sounds (like I'm the biggest snob in the world) but Topaz has always been one of those readily accessible and usually affordable.

There are some beauties in this thread and I hope my comments don't take away from that because they shouldn't. It's just I keep seeing this thread and wondered if I was in the minority with my views! I assume I am by the way!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD |1442158040|3927190 said:
Ok - now I hope you don't mind me saying this and I don't want to upset anybody because this thread has some gorgeous eye candy......

Since I've been collecting I've always thought of Topaz as not a collector's item - or even really acknowledged it as a gemstone. I'm sorry because I know how that sounds (like I'm the biggest snob in the world) but Topaz has always been one of those readily accessible and usually affordable.

There are some beauties in this thread and I hope my comments don't take away from that because they shouldn't. It's just I keep seeing this thread and wondered if I was in the minority with my views! I assume I am by the way!

I felt the same. So I know exactly what you mean

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD |1442158040|3927190 said:

LOVE all the blues posted in this thread and the gorgeous cutting. I've stayed away from purchasing loose Topaz stones because my jeweler said it's "not tough." That makes me think it's not suitable for me to purchase loose stones and set them in rings. I'll just enjoy everyone else's photos. :bigsmile:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always loved Topaz - my aunt has a November birthday and always wore a rectangular Yellow Topaz in 14kt Yellow Gold ever since the 1970s... I recently inherited it and find it so classy and autumnal (just have to get it sized). I do plan to send it in to AGL too, just to see what it really is (could be natural untreated Topaz, could be heated/irradiated Topaz, could be Citrine, who knows? Of course, regardless of AGL outcome, its intrinsic value to me will be unchanged).

And, more to the point, I've always adored blue Topaz, especially the irradiated colors which are so richly saturated with color! I know they are inexpensive and considered relatively plentiful, but based on my own experience finding well-cut stones with good color, even irradiated blue Topaz, is not that easy. Sure, there's lots of commercial-grade irradiated blue Topaz, but those aren't nicely cut and often the color is not really that true London Blue or Swiss Blue or Electric Blue.

Along with other PSers, I was recently tempted by Doug Menadue's natural untreated blue Topaz if only for the rarity value (and of course his extremely skilled cutting) but for me, if I'm going light blue, I'm more likely to go with Aquamarine. Still, I've so appreciated the PSers who have shared their (natural and irradiated) blue Topaz journeys.

In the parlance of PS principles, as long as people know what they are buying relative to value and market, and are willing to share their individual experiences in terms of their search for stone and setting, I'm as happy to read a thread about irradiated blue Topaz as I am about untreated Kashmir Sapphires.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
marymm|1442169029|3927243 said:
I've always loved Topaz - my aunt has a November birthday and always wore a rectangular Yellow Topaz in 14kt Yellow Gold ever since the 1970s... I recently inherited it and find it so classy and autumnal (just have to get it sized). I do plan to send it in to AGL too, just to see what it really is (could be natural untreated Topaz, could be heated/irradiated Topaz, could be Citrine, who knows? Of course, regardless of AGL outcome, its intrinsic value to me will be unchanged).

And, more to the point, I've always adored blue Topaz, especially the irradiated colors which are so richly saturated with color! I know they are inexpensive and considered relatively plentiful, but based on my own experience finding well-cut stones with good color, even irradiated blue Topaz, is not that easy. Sure, there's lots of commercial-grade irradiated blue Topaz, but those aren't nicely cut and often the color is not really that true London Blue or Swiss Blue or Electric Blue.

Along with other PSers, I was recently tempted by Doug Menadue's natural untreated blue Topaz if only for the rarity value (and of course his extremely skilled cutting) but for me, if I'm going light blue, I'm more likely to go with Aquamarine. Still, I've so appreciated the PSers who have shared their (natural and irradiated) blue Topaz journeys.

In the parlance of PS principles, as long as people know what they are buying relative to value and market, and are willing to share their individual experiences in terms of their search for stone and setting, I'm as happy to read a thread about irradiated blue Topaz as I am about untreated Kashmir Sapphires.

I totally agree with you marymm, especially the part I set as bold. When I first started researching and getting into colored stones, I felt like the only stones I "should" enjoy/purchase were the untreated ones. I quickly gave up that notion because that just didn't feel right to me, especially since it excluded so many stones that were beautiful to my eyes and that I wanted to have. I actually think it's kind of neat that humans can work together with nature to help create beautiful things, whether we've used heat or radiation or what have you (keeping in mind of course that not all treatments are created equally). It's a much nicer notion than the more negative aspects of the human/nature relationship we hear about. For some people, this greatly lessens the value of an item, and for others it makes no difference. Material things are only worth as much as an individual is willing to pay for them. As long as that individual has educated themselves about the item they're buying and its relative value, all is well.

As far as topaz specifically goes, it's my state gemstone, so I've always had a soft spot for it. I've always thought it would be fun to go topaz hunting and try to find that rare natural blue! Anyway, in the end, I just love to look at pretty stones... I think that is something we all have in common here!! :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess my taste in jewellery/CS and other aspects of life, is the same as my taste in food: I love junk food as much as I love gourmet fine dining.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I felt the same about treated topaz (that they were fun stones but really not collectors' items) until I saw Barry's electric blues. With those stones, there was a convergence of color, size, cut, and affordability, and I had to have one. I don't mind irradiation because the treatment is stable and permanent, and to me it's philosophically not too far off from heating.

Edit: And realistically, I'll never be able to afford that "Windex blue" color in a natural stone, so I'll take what I can get.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1442175553|3927277 said:
I guess my taste in jewellery/CS and other aspects of life, is the same as my taste in food: I love junk food as much as I love gourmet fine dining.

+1 very well said :D

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doug contacted me yesterday to let me know that he is starting on my topaz today.

I pulled this off his Facebook page. My original rough. So exciting! :dance:
image_3847.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1442225234|3927479 said:
Doug contacted me yesterday to let me know that he is starting on my topaz today.

image_3847.jpg

YAY! So excited for you! Doug is incredible to work with, and I am sure you'll love the finished product! I love seeing progress shots--makes it even more fun!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1442225234|3927479 said:

image_3847.jpg

That's great news Elle71125!
I know you will love the outcome with this divine color and Doug's excellent cutting. That piece of rough looks amazing.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting discussion by the way. I agree with what was said earlier: I personally cannot resist the combination of a great color, a superb cutting and a very affordable price. I have yet to resist my Electric Blue but I am currently wearing my natural midblue topaz from Doug and I am amazed by the beauty of the stone. As long as the pricing is related to the rarity/non rarity and quality, I am open for every gemstone.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs thank you. I agree it's exciting to be able to catch a glimpse of the cutting process.

acinom thank you for the kind words.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's finally done. I feel like the waiting process was brutal but I can't wait to see it in person. :dance:
Stats: Oval Supernova, Eye Clean, 11.2x8x7.46mm, 4.5ct

Here are some pics that Doug sent me.

image_3848.jpg

image_3850.jpg

image_3849.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1442312558|3927938 said:
It's finally done. I feel like the waiting process was brutal but I can't wait to see it in person. :dance:

Here are some pics that Doug sent me.

image_3848.jpg

image_3850.jpg

image_3849.jpg

Ooh!! What a gorgeous gorgeous blue Elle!
And what a great match with the Supernova cut. I am looking forward to see your pics. It's a fabulous blue and a great cut. Doug nailed it again.
What setting where you thinking of?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So gorgeous! I love how it looks in the oval shape--even though I've never been drawn to oval stones in the past. I'm excited to see how you set this one! Do you have plans for it yet?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1442325106|3927985 said:
So gorgeous! I love how it looks in the oval shape--even though I've never been drawn to oval stones in the past. I'm excited to see how you set this one! Do you have plans for it yet?

LovedogsThank you! I don't know how I'm going to set it yet. Any and all ideas are welcome. :naughty:

Acinom Thank you. I'm pretty excited to see it in person although I think it may take a few, since I'm in the US and Doug is in Australia. I will attempt to be patient. :eh: Doug does do such beautiful work like the natural blue topaz in your new swing ring. :drool:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1442312558|3927938 said:

image_3850.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!

arabella

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful elle!! I love the "oval supernova" cut! Yay!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally got my stone from Doug today.
Here's a couple pics from outside, in the shade.
They're taken with my phone so forgive the quality.

image_3885.jpg
image_3886.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1443298454|3932177 said:

image_3885.jpg
image_3886.jpg

WOW, ELLE! That is one heck of a stone! It's so bright, well cut, and just pops with color!!!! :love: :love: :love:
So excited for you and can't wait to see what you do to set it!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Elle_71125, your stone is gorgeous! :love: I am so happy for you and can't wait to see your plans for it.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, such gorgeous topaz jewelry. I used to have a set that I wore a lot but once I started collecting blue zircons I found that I did not wear them any more. They have now been sold to fund other projects but I did love the color when I had them.

cmsbltopaz03.jpg

_34653.jpg

cmsbltopazear.jpg

_34654.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom|1443377139|3932457 said:
Gosh, such gorgeous topaz jewelry. I used to have a set that I wore a lot but once I started collecting blue zircons I found that I did not wear them any more. They have now been sold to fund other projects but I did love the color when I had them.

Beautiful pieces Catmom. Thank you for sharing your former jewelry pieces :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1443298454|3932177 said:

image_3885.jpg
image_3886.jpg

Elle! Your oval looks amazing on your hand. What a fabulous color. I am happy you are thrilled with it. Please share more pics :naughty:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both irradiated and non irradiated pieces, I think there used to be a snobby sort of thing against the irradiated stones and you see many of them in cheap chain stores that are made in Asia that are pretty ho hum...... These days some of the precision cut pieces sell for top $$$$s and most of them are stunning so I think everyone should be allowed to love whatever they want.... except maybe mystic topaz that is still kind of yuk, and funky and fake looking to me but I see people buying that now as well.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results