carat
color
clarity

Sapphires - help me decide!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1442099850|3927010 said:
I would say top sapphire color in the UK is more like silksapphire's color.

We are in agreement here. The colour of hers is extremely fine. This is what I think of when I hear "vivid". It is neither too dark nor too light in tone. There isn't much extinction. Couple that with it being a step cut is even more amazing.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seem to remember that Silksapphires stone was $11000 per carat so 3 times the price of $7000 for a 2 carat. I am not buying just trying to learn. Wonder also about unheated stones, do they get in the way of heat when they are being set or would that not effect them? I know platinum is worked at great temperatures.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1442103604|3927023 said:

We are in agreement here. The colour of hers is extremely fine. This is what I think of when I hear "vivid". It is neither too dark nor too light in tone. There isn't much extinction. Couple that with it being a step cut is even more amazing.

Yes but the color is much darker than the square stone above I think. Been reading up on extinction and seems it is necessary for contrast according to old threads here but it is very technical the talk so not sure they settled on that or tweaking cut to end up but they were against less saturated stones. Thread was called Extinction.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See extinction is quarter of SS stone at far left of stone too I believe?

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
One more sapphire! Her friend had no new information but she did send me pics from my GF's hidden pinterest board with four diamonds and this sapphire (I included the one from the pinterest board I can see to compare/contrast). The settings and bands tell me she does not like halos, she's looking for either side-stones or a simple setting. And the bands are either thin, ornate designs or have a few stones, in both cases simple, no micropave or anything fancy.

So I think I'm in a much better place now from a band/setting perspective, but still looking for any feedback on these sapphires. Comparing these two stones, do the experts of PS have any thoughts? From a color/cut perspective, am I way off in thinking these are pretty close to what she's pinned?

http://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/blue-sapphire/3.04-carat-oval-sku-15869
http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10880/16196
http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10880/18938
http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-sapphire/blue-sapphire-2.59-carats.html
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_blue/sapphire_blue_1179_A.jpg

Thanks!

ring_216.jpg

ring_217.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The JA stone looks darker and not very sparkly
The two Wildfish stones look too light (and, gosh, sooo expensive... and the 2nd Wildfish stone has no crown at all)
The GemFix stone looks to have much more violet than either of the Pinterest pics

To me, the AGS stone looks closest to the Pinterest pics in terms of color and (perceived) sparkle, and it looks well-cut with good proportions too.

S

SparkliesLuver

The AJS stone looks the closest to the two pictures you posted.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1442243231|3927559 said:
The AJS stone looks the closest to the two pictures you posted.

+1 to this. The WildFish ones are incredibly expensive, and the Gemfix one is pretty but not quite the same color as the pinned one (IMHO)

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses! I found two more that I think are much better matches.

http://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/blue-sapphire/2.80-carat-oval-sku-15731
Question on this one: is that 'windowing', or 'feathering' in the middle there? Trying to get the terminology down, but there's something going on, though I do think it's the perfect color and size, and very beautiful. Also, that GIA cert looks like it comes straight from JA; that doesn't appear to be a neutral lab report, right?

http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-sapphire/blue-sapphire-2.97-carats.html
I love this one too, the problem with AJS is they just have the one picture, I asked them for more for a few stones and they just sent me the links to the gems I referenced. There's no a shot in hell I'm spending $5K+ on a gem without more pictures!

Anyway, thoughts on these two? I think I'm closing in on the right one!

S

SparkliesLuver

Huge window on the James Allen one. I would not buy this, especially for an engagement ring.

The AJS one looks to be pretty nice, but I wonder if the culet is off center. Can someone else confirm? It might not bug you, though. If I were you, I'd ask them to put it on hold and request a hand shot or at least an additional picture or two.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Toss out the JA sapphire - windowed and the in-house report is a strong conflict of interest. I'm not sure what to do about the AJS sapphire because it looks like a good fit but AJS has stopped providing additional pictures and IIRC, all returns are now to Thailand since they closed their US office.

Contact Joe Escobar to see what they have. They seem to be able to source a lot of beautiful sapphires at reasonable prices.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two finewater ovals at about 2ct. Between 4-5k

Can you ask him to send you a video comparing the two? Gary is super helpful I vet you he would.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some options. I'm not going to post the vendor yet to prevent stone snatching. The rest looked too dark or are potentially more than your stated budget.

The first is a 2.6 ct heated sapphire, described as vivid medium blue for less than $6K.
The second is a 2.1 ct heated sapphire, described as intense medium blue for less than $5K

7171.jpg

5994.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

:lickout: Can't wait to find out more about the above (not for me - for you, Eagle!) :love:

sparkle_zo

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful color!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1442103604|3927023 said:

How much of that do you think is a result of the silk, Chrono?

I have a ruby that is pretty much ALL silk, excellent color and glow and I'm actually preferring it to a ruby (with excellent crystal) that I have.

We should do a thread with silky stones. :think:

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Those are beautiful, Chrono! I've been looking at a range of 2.5ct to a little over 3, I think that's the sweet spot for the ring I have in mind, so would be most interested in the top one.

Budget-wise I'd like to keep the ring under $12K but can get the setting very cheap through my sisters shop. So the top-limit of my budget for a stone is ~$10K.

I'd love to get the details on these stones though, are there any private message functions on this site? (newbie here :)

Oh, and my sister sent me pictures of the two stones her vendor sent her; pretty underwhelming, unfortunately, I won't bother posting them here but they're both far darker than what we discussed. I think they just have poor vendor contacts for sapphires since they rarely deal with anything but diamonds. So it's very likely I wind up going the online route. I'm headed to her store next Thursday to look at stones, if those don't work out (and I sincerely doubt they do, but feel bad not at least looking since they've gone through a lot of trouble to get them) then I'm definitely looking at the on-line route because we're starting to bump into the proposal window I have in mind.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1442589081|3929210 said:
How much of that do you think is a result of the silk, Chrono? I have a ruby that is pretty much ALL silk, excellent color and glow and I'm actually preferring it to a ruby (with excellent crystal) that I have. We should do a thread with silky stones. :think:

It's hard to say. Some stones are crystal yet appear to glow due to the intensity of their saturation such as some red/pink spinels and the famed paraiba/cuprian.

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, Chrono! Sending in some requests on a few different gems now. I'm getting really excited about all this all of a sudden :)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a fyi: Pearlman's colored stones seem to be typically sourced from Gem 2000, a wholesaler whose to-the-trade-only inventory is largely of stones that have not yet been submitted to an independent lab like AGL. So you'll want to clarify with Pearlman's what lab reports, if any, accompany the sapphires that interest you -- and, if no lab report, whether they are willing to have the stone assessed by AGL before the transaction is firmed up or how they are thinking they would otherwise handle this aspect.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I was going to get a stone from pearlmans I'd do this one

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=6008

The only issue to me is the size anthe fact it doesn't come with a cert. I would ask if there's any way you could pay to get one. It would still be very affordable.

To make up for the size, I'd buy very white side stones in a close to same size, 5mm, maybe 5.5

Still gives her the three stone simple look, gets diamonds in there, (which I know you said she had pinned diamond rings too) and would be in budget, even if you spent a lot on the setting, sense the stone isn't too much )

6008.jpg

064-730x490.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Gavin offers several different semi-mounts (meaning the side stones are included in the price) with a pear-shaped diamond of F/G in color, VS clarity, on either side of the center stone. E.g., the Summer, the Grace.

Think pear side stones would be especially flattering to a sapphire center stone because of their taper towards the shank. So it seems to me that they aren't "fighting" for attention with a colored round, as round diamonds of the same size can suggest; the eye stays more drawn to the center stone. And the prices for these semi-mounts are generally moderate.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1442677086|3929506 said:
Brian Gavin offers several different semi-mounts (meaning the side stones are included in the price) with a pear-shaped diamond of F/G in color, VS clarity, on either side of the center stone. E.g., the Summer, the Grace.

Think pear side stones would be especially flattering to a sapphire center stone because of their taper towards the shank. So it seems to me that they aren't "fighting" for attention with a colored round, as round diamonds of the same size can suggest; the eye stays more drawn to the center stone. And the prices for these semi-mounts are generally moderate.

Agree to disagree I suppose.
I think a small stone with small pears makes the whole thing look too "petite", plus, as the proportions of 6mm with pears doesn't really flow as much as they do with larger centers (just my opinion from seeing many that approx size in RT)

Having larger sides gives it a hand presence while still appreciating the subtleties of a 3 stone. It's also a very vintage look
If he were to get a preset setting with sides, no reason you couldn't just go with pearlmans, they have many nice brands.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
That's very pretty, Niel, for the size it's quite affordable too. I worry about the hints of violet in there, though; being a complete novice here, is that typical? I feel like I'd rather pay the extra money for one that doesn't shift in and out of color like that.

As to the sidestone idea, I'd rather stay away from it to be honest, and if I did go w/ sidestones I'd definitely want the center sapphire to be the highlight, at least double the ctw of the diamonds. It's a thought, certainly, but while we're looking at settings...

I mocked this up myself, this is what I've been envisioning for a while now, pretty much since I first thought of going with a vintage sapphire ring. The emerald touch is something I stumbled across searching rings, it's both of our birthstones. I think it would look incredible, hits the 'vintage' look to a T, and the sapphire is obviously the center of attention.

I'd want the halo to be thinner, and at least a 2.5ct (though ideally 3.0) sapphire as the showpiece. Maybe some subtle design work on the band, and definitely platinum. Otherwise I love it. Thoughts?

_34513.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle2015|1442705585|3929657 said:
That's very pretty, Niel, for the size it's quite affordable too. I worry about the hints of violet in there, though; being a complete novice here, is that typical? I feel like I'd rather pay the extra money for one that doesn't shift in and out of color like that.

As to the sidestone idea, I'd rather stay away from it to be honest, and if I did go w/ sidestones I'd definitely want the center sapphire to be the highlight, at least double the ctw of the diamonds. It's a thought, certainly, but while we're looking at settings...

I mocked this up myself, this is what I've been envisioning for a while now, pretty much since I first thought of going with a vintage sapphire ring. The emerald touch is something I stumbled across searching rings, it's both of our birthstones. I think it would look incredible, hits the 'vintage' look to a T, and the sapphire is obviously the center of attention.

I'd want the halo to be thinner, and at least a 2.5ct (though ideally 3.0) sapphire as the showpiece. Maybe some subtle design work on the band, and definitely platinum. Otherwise I love it. Thoughts?

Wow I love this style, Eagle! I think it hits on the vintage notes completely, and the idea of the emerald to represent both of your birthstones is a great personal touch. I think if you can find a stone for the center that fits your budget this will be wonderful! Just a matter of finding your ideal stone. I'm not an expert at all on this shade of sapphire, but I think if you are set on that pure/deep blue color then I would stick with it until you find one that hits on all your areas of preference.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle2015|1442705585|3929657 said:

I thought you said she doesn't like halos

the settings and bands tell me she does not like halos, she's looking for either side-stones or a simple setting. And the bands are either thin, ornate designs or have a few stones, in both cases simple, no micropave or anything fancy

If you get a larger stone I quite agree the side stones should be smaller. I only suggest large ones if you fall in love with a lower ct stone.

Based on what you said about her preferences in her pinterest, I don't think the halo is a good idea. You can get a side stone emerald like that if you want in a three stone. However, consider if she really wants to see a blue and green combo every day on her hand. Even if small, being on the side it'll be visible. I might consider a sweet personal engraving rather than a birthstone.

And yes all stones will be shifty, as to how shifty that is, you can always ask him, he's very helpful. Had you tried contacting Gary about those ovals?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results