shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphires - help me decide!

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

So I've settled on a sapphire e-ring for my soon-to-be-fiance. My sister works at a jewelry store and showed me a bunch of loose stones yesterday. I've narrowed it down to two and would love to get the opinions of people who know what they're looking at :)

I think both are beautiful, in very different ways. I won't say which way I'm leaning but I definitely have a preference. And of course, if both look off in any way please feel free to say so, I don't have to settle on either of these, though I do think they're gorgeous.

The smaller stone is 2.2 carats, the larger just over 3. Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

img_9253.jpg

img_9255.jpg

img_9256.jpg

drruby

Shiny_Rock
both look nice for the occasion

I prefer darker sapphires so the smaller looks nicer to my eye

but you have 99% of sapphires having major treatments today

so if no major lab cert, I won't touch sapphires today

rubies I'm still comfortable with, but emeralds and sapphires need lab certs now

so what do the certs say?

any treatments

that's the way you look at sapphires and emeralds today, it's sad, but true

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both look nice to my eye, but it also helps to know how much each costs, what treatments each has gone through, etc. That way we can get a better idea of whether one is a better value vs the other.

Going on color/cut alone I prefer the darker stone, but worry it would become too dark upon setting. But without price and other info its hard to really say one way or the other.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on these pics alone I would vote for the smaller cushion.
However, it would be helpful if you could make several pics in different lighting conditions (natural daylight, sunlight and different (office) lighting settings) to see which performs best.

Both stones might darken considerably once set and in unpreferable lighting conditions.

I agree with above posters that it's also good to study the certificates.

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! I'm asking for the certs, will hopefully have them in the next day or so and I'll post them here when I do.

One thing that I'd like some clarity on: if these have been heat-treated (which I'm guessing they have been, at a jewelry store that doesn't deal much in sapphires and isn't super high-end to begin with) is that a huge deal? I understand the value of a heat-treated stone is considerably less but I'm not buying it as a long-term investment, I'm buying it as a beautiful e-ring that will be on my bride-to-be's finger for life, I care far, far more about how the ring looks than the overall value. Just wanted to get thoughts around that and why I should be concerned with any treatments beyond how the stone looks.

Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with heated but it helps you gauge how much you should pay for them. Not only that, diffusion falls into the heated camp and if diffused, it is a fraction of the heated only price. Both stones look very dark, almost black except for some blue flash. Pricing for such a sapphire should be very inexpensive.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1441715031|3924899 said:
Nothing wrong with heated but it helps you gauge how much you should pay for them. Not only that, diffusion falls into the heated camp and if diffused, it is a fraction of the heated only price. Both stones look very dark, almost black except for some blue flash. Pricing for such a sapphire should be very inexpensive.

+1 to this. I am someone who doesn't care at all about heat treatments--but they are important to know about because they massively affect price. Heat treated stones should be MUCH cheaper than their natural counterparts, and diffusion treated stones even cheaper than heat only. So if someone says heat treated, make sure you ask whether it's "heat only" vs. other things that have been done with heat. Just something that helps the consumer know how much they should be paying and not overpay.

S

SparkliesLuver

Do you know what your soon-to-be-fiance likes/wants in a sapphire? I only ask because these are very dark. I'm worried they'll appear almost black in most lighting situations. In complete honesty, I'm not a big fan of either. But that's just me since I don't like very dark stones, so take that as you will.

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Some more pics, these were taken outside and my sister threw them on top of a setting (not the one I'm going with, but somewhat similar). Thoughts in different lighting? She mentioned some feathering on the oval one.

Sidenote if these aren't great quality or whatever: the store said they could do the bigger in a setting for $9,200, the smaller for $7,600. I feel like they're giving me a great deal (as family) off what they'd normally charge, but that these might not be the best quality (seeing them in different light, I do like the smaller one better, but I like both of them less and less the more I see of them). I've been looking at some sites, anyone use these and/or hear good/bad/otherwise:
finewatergem
wildfishgems
mastercutgems

Any others I should be looking at? At a minimum I can get the setting from my sisters store, I just don't want to get ripped off on a gem that the vendor's charging a boatload for that's not good quality.

Thanks again!

img_9289.jpg

img_9293.jpg

img_9288.jpg

img_9287.jpg

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1441720592|3924931 said:
Do you know what your soon-to-be-fiance likes/wants in a sapphire? I only ask because these are very dark. I'm worried they'll appear almost black in most lighting situations. In complete honesty, I'm not a big fan of either. But that's just me since I don't like very dark stones, so take that as you will.

To answer this question: no, I have no idea :) She posted one on pinterest (I'm sure as a way to help me out), but she's told a friend who I have snooping for me that she'd like to be surprised. So no help there. Here's the one she's pinned:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e0/fe/93/e0fe9352b927e2f41526c5c18624fc3c.jpg

Definitely lighter but not much moreso than the oval (to my untrained eye, at least_; it was actually why I liked that one better (until seeing it in outdoor lighting, at least).

But thank you for your honesty, last thing I want is to make an expensive mistake so be as brutally honest as you feel like, this is uncharted waters for me!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle2015|1441753391|3925256 said:
Some more pics, these were taken outside and my sister threw them on top of a setting (not the one I'm going with, but somewhat similar). Thoughts in different lighting? She mentioned some feathering on the oval one.

Sidenote if these aren't great quality or whatever: the store said they could do the bigger in a setting for $9,200, the smaller for $7,600. I feel like they're giving me a great deal (as family) off what they'd normally charge, but that these might not be the best quality (seeing them in different light, I do like the smaller one better, but I like both of them less and less the more I see of them). I've been looking at some sites, anyone use these and/or hear good/bad/otherwise:
finewatergem
wildfishgems
mastercutgems

Any others I should be looking at? At a minimum I can get the setting from my sisters store, I just don't want to get ripped off on a gem that the vendor's charging a boatload for that's not good quality.

Thanks again!

I personally like dark sapphires, and I don't feel like those are going to go "black", which is what I feel like happens when the stone is overly dark so the color is just gone. I'm wondering what the setting itself costs? Because I feel as though you could likely get a better deal for setting + stone if the stone were from another vendor. I personally LOVE mastercutgems, and think Dana is amazing. I've never purchased from them, but tons of ppl here have, and I've been in touch with them about a variety of stones and they are always responsive. I would check out their site--I think you might like a few of them in particular (but am a little worried about posting particulars in case someone 'scoops' them). But there are some gorgeous stones there under 4K (and most under that by a good amount). So I guess it depends on how much the setting is--but if you are ok with a less expensive setting then I would go for a nicer quality stone from a trusted vendor :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour on all those you posted look like they will close up. If this is the outdoor look, it will only look darker indoors.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle2015|1441754029|3925259 said:
To answer this question: no, I have no idea :) She posted one on pinterest (I'm sure as a way to help me out), but she's told a friend who I have snooping for me that she'd like to be surprised. So no help there. Here's the one she's pinned:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e0/fe/93/e0fe9352b927e2f41526c5c18624fc3c.jpg

Can you snoop more? Did she like it because it is an almost perfect square? Or is it the colour? Or perhaps the more antique style setting?

S

SparkliesLuver

I second Chrono's comment of trying to get more intel. Because, to my eyes, the ring she posted is lighter than the two you're looking at. And someone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong, but you have a pretty healthy budget. I'd just want you to look at as many as you can first before deciding. Did you mention a time frame and I missed it? If not, do you have a time frame?

Finewater and Mastercut gems are great. I'd also ask Jeff White (whitesgems.com). The only reason why I shy away from the last pictures you posted is because you have the stone sitting on top of a halo. The look and coloring will dramatically change when the stone is actually haloed. Hope that makes sense, I haven't had much coffee yet this morning. Also, if you want, take some tin foil to the store next time you go. Wrap it around the stones. That helps mimic a halo.

ETA: I'd also email Laura of Gemfix. See what they have that may not be listed on their site, if nothing there appeals to you.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Definitely find out if it is the shape or color (or ring) she liked. There is nothing noticeably* wrong with any of the stones you posted, but all 3 appear to be slightly darker and more violet-blue than her pin picture.

*Just keep in mind that opinions based solely on digital images on varied monitors may not be accurate. At all.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a E-ring for my gf. I actually had her go to a bunch of jewelry shops and look at gems. Some green, some blue, some diamonds, and some bi-colors. I asked how she felt about each.

I understand the joy of surprise and the feeling of bam! But i'd honestly think with your budget to find a stone and put it in a cheap Tiffany setting. She would love the joy of building the perfect ring for her. The ring you posted vs the one she pinned is total opposites with style.

Too many diamonds sometimes takes away from the colored stone sometimes.

Also, bigger isn't always better. "Remember you want her to wear this Everyday of her life in comfort"
Do you know what size ring her fingers are? Because my gf is a 5.25 and 1.96 ct looks Huge.

Like the ones above, you need to SNOOP MORE.

Hope this helps. ^.^
I'm not a expert on the gems.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure what Chrona means by the stones color closing up. In the UK darker sapphires are more popular with sparkles of lighter blue showing. I noticed when looking at sapphires most people from USA would choose that the color is all over light blue a bit like London BLue Topaz. As coloured stones do not have or I have not seen a color grade in the way diamonds do, what does top color look like in tone and hue?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1441993072|3926627 said:
I am not sure what Chrono means by the stones color closing up. In the UK darker sapphires are more popular with sparkles of lighter blue showing. I noticed when looking at sapphires most people from USA would choose that the color is all over light blue a bit like London BLue Topaz. As coloured stones do not have or I have not seen a color grade in the way diamonds do, what does top color look like in tone and hue?

Top blue sapphire is far from the colour of London blue topaz. See picture below. "Close up" means becoming black almost all over with some bits of blue flash. I suppose in the UK, this is what is popular due to the late Princess Diana's engagement ring, which is actually not a fine colour for a blue sapphire.

1373-43.jpg

1373-38.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono. I think the dark sapphire was popular over here before Diana though. Does the lighter blue veer more towards greenish-blue and the darker towards more violet-blue, I found a color wheel on Google showing sapphire colors and wondered this, of course there was a 'blue' in the middle but it seemed a darkish royal blue?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely dark sapphires seem very common and popular in the commercial jewellery stores here in the US. In general, slightly violetish blue of medium dark tone is desired. Any green brings the price down. If you are referring to something else in reference to lighter blue being more greenish blue and darker veering towards violet blue, can you please elaborate?

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1441886661|3926020 said:
I second Chrono's comment of trying to get more intel. Because, to my eyes, the ring she posted is lighter than the two you're looking at. And someone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong, but you have a pretty healthy budget. I'd just want you to look at as many as you can first before deciding. Did you mention a time frame and I missed it? If not, do you have a time frame?

Finewater and Mastercut gems are great. I'd also ask Jeff White (whitesgems.com). The only reason why I shy away from the last pictures you posted is because you have the stone sitting on top of a halo. The look and coloring will dramatically change when the stone is actually haloed. Hope that makes sense, I haven't had much coffee yet this morning. Also, if you want, take some tin foil to the store next time you go. Wrap it around the stones. That helps mimic a halo.

ETA: I'd also email Laura of Gemfix. See what they have that may not be listed on their site, if nothing there appeals to you.

Thanks, great feedback here (and to all others who've contributed). This hits all the main questions, so...answers!

1. Timeframe looked far away a few months ago when I started looking but now it's closing in. Late fall/early winter is my preference, but no specific date. So I have about 2 months, which isn't much with a custom setting.
2. I asked her friend I've been speaking with to dig into this more, all the advice here makes sense: I need to know more specifics wrt color and shape before making any real decisions. I know 100% that's she's very into vintage, hand-crafted stuff, she puts far more stock into the meaning of things than the look of them. Favorite color is blue, she loves sapphires (and has that pin), so I think a ring that I design (with the expert help and eye of my sister, of course!) will be far more meaningful to her than a blingy diamond.
3. Great advice on the different vendors, from you and others. I've been scoping them out, might inquire into a few and my sister is sending me a few that she's ordered from her vendor.

Will post pics (and maybe more questions :) ) once I have more info and some stones to look at, thanks everyone!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagle2015|1442065189|3926840 said:
Thanks, great feedback here (and to all others who've contributed). This hits all the main questions, so...answers!

1. Timeframe looked far away a few months ago when I started looking but now it's closing in. Late fall/early winter is my preference, but no specific date. So I have about 2 months, which isn't much with a custom setting.
2. I asked her friend I've been speaking with to dig into this more, all the advice here makes sense: I need to know more specifics wrt color and shape before making any real decisions. I know 100% that's she's very into vintage, hand-crafted stuff, she puts far more stock into the meaning of things than the look of them. Favorite color is blue, she loves sapphires (and has that pin), so I think a ring that I design (with the expert help and eye of my sister, of course!) will be far more meaningful to her than a blingy diamond.
3. Great advice on the different vendors, from you and others. I've been scoping them out, might inquire into a few and my sister is sending me a few that she's ordered from her vendor.

Will post pics (and maybe more questions :) ) once I have more info and some stones to look at, thanks everyone!

Sounds like you have a good plan :) It's very sweet that you are thinking about what would be most meaningful for her--so the fact that you've put so much thought into this means she'll love it :appl:

Keep us posted on your progress--we love to see how these things turn out, and want to help if we can! :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That dark Royal blue commands top prices and is actually not cheap in the UK - many traditional high end stores prefer and sell stones that would be considered overly dark in the US - Australia is a mix, I see people that want what the English covert the really dark but still velvety stones and the mids to cornflower blues sell really well here too. Both can be referred to as "top coloured sapphires."

I do agree however sapphires are colour shifters if they are that dark outside they will be much darker inside and in poor lighting, which unless that is what you visually prefer is possibly not what you should be looking for.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to post the sapphire colour wheel from Google images but it wouldn't post. I agree the darker sapphires are what are in high end shops in the UK. The lighter colours are not in any shops I have seen and these are like Thousands of pounds stones. Maybe it is just different for no reason. Princess Anne's first engagement sapphire was dark and that was about 10 years before Diana's. I am only looking at a computer screen but the lighter ones are like blue topaz and aquamarine to me and like the ones a chain store used to call light blue sapphire but of course larger and better cut here.

To me and just my opinion a sapphire is Royal Blue except the cornflower ones which are more lighter but not the color of the ones Chrono posted. Must just be different countries wonder what the rest of the world like. I loved Silksapphires royal blue and it was much darker than Chrono posted. I think it must be hard for newbies to find those lighter colors with enough saturation. Do they all need to be heated to achieve that bright color? It is a lovely color but not what sapphire is to me. I realise I am just one person and not even in the USA. Have other British people come across this color in high end shops in places like London, Birmingham or Glasgow where some Jewellery centres are? Hi

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1441995362|3926635 said:
Pyramid|1441993072|3926627 said:
I am not sure what Chrono means by the stones color closing up. In the UK darker sapphires are more popular with sparkles of lighter blue showing. I noticed when looking at sapphires most people from USA would choose that the color is all over light blue a bit like London BLue Topaz. As coloured stones do not have or I have not seen a color grade in the way diamonds do, what does top color look like in tone and hue?

Top blue sapphire is far from the colour of London blue topaz. See picture below. "Close up" means becoming black almost all over with some bits of blue flash. I suppose in the UK, this is what is popular due to the late Princess Diana's engagement ring, which is actually not a fine colour for a blue sapphire.

Maybe I am looking in wrong price ranges, I mean what sort of price roughly is the large square on you posted Chrono? I am looking at about $7000 so if that color in a 2 carat is like ,$20,000 then I am comparing apples to oranges as we say on this board.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid these are blue sapphires, but the stone in the middle, how would you describe it?

_34334.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like green sapphires but the stone in the middle has extinction. This is not what I am speaking about, I am speaking about Royal Blue or medium to dark blue which GIA say are top color compared with light blue sapphires which the original poster is being told to look for. Isn't extinction a fault of cut?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say top sapphire color in the UK is more like silksapphire's color.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I reread the thread and don't see the comment about going for light blue sapphires, I will reread it again.
My photo I am not sure if it's a fault of the cut as it was a gem cut by a precision cutter, it may be the material was overly dark in the first place, or as you say a cutting fault, it didn't look like this in the vendor's photo. I think if you go for a overly dark stone there's a chance you may end up with a stone similar to the middle green stone, you see mostly black and a flash of blue around the edges.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid|1442099850|3927010 said:
I would say top sapphire color in the UK is more like silksapphire's color.

Yes her sapphire is gorgeous. Anyway not sure if $6k will get a similar quality stone but much smaller than the 2/3 ct? I don't know prices.

_34335.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results