shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some guidance on colored gemstone certification

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Minou and Chrono, took your advice and had my red spinel evaluated by AGL. I feel better now that I did!! Any suggestion where I can send my red one for re-polish?

i went ahead and requested prestige reports on both spinels...the other color change blue one I posted on another thread. Most PSers here probably think the briefs would have been enough, but oh well....may be next time I know better. Here is the summary for each. Red one is graded as natural spinel- 3.25 cts, "orangey red", no enhancement. Blue one is 3.83 cts natural cobalt spinel "violetish blue", no enhancement.

Originally, I admit, I didn't like the "orange" part of the red, but it's growing on me. I'm ready to decide on a setting for it now. I think I prefer to keep its original shape and size but if could find someone to polish it would be ideal before settling.

Some pics I took during daylight today

_33245.jpg

_33246.jpg

_33247.jpg

_33248.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your new pics!

You may contact Doug Menadue for repolishing. You would have to send the stones to Australia though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why does the orange red spinel need to be polished? If in the US, email or call Jerry Newman. Quick, reasonable pricing and excellent skill level.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to ask the same question - what is your hope in a repolish? What do you think it would improve? I ask to make certain you are not thinking that repolishing would do anything like create better cutting or add facets because it will not. Also keep in mind that anything that changes the carat weight of the stone significantly ends up rendering the AGL report moot, as there is no way anyone other than you can know for certain that it is indeed the same stone. I know Prestige reports are costly, so my thinking is to get some warm soapy water, wash it, rinse and buff it with a chamois or cotton towel and call it a day. Certainly easier, right? :))

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure this is not the right forum for me to post this question but I don't know where else to post it. The item in question does belong to this post so...here it is.

DK and I agreed that my red spinel is too deep so I have decided to reach out to Jerry Newman to have him evaluate and possibly remove about 1-2 mm of the height. Anyone here have shipped stones to Jerry by any other method besides the prior flat rate small box he recommended? He said he has a postal box and he checks it every couple days. I usually prefer to send my expensive items (well at least for me this is an expensive item) insured full amount and with signature required. I don't want to create inconvenience for Jerry but the spinel isn't few hundreds dollars, but couple thousands. Any suggestions?

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Recutting a stone would render the AGL prestige report basically useless. Just so you are aware.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Violetphoenix|1441930493|3926296 said:
I'm sure this is not the right forum for me to post this question but I don't know where else to post it. The item in question does belong to this post so...here it is.

DK and I agreed that my red spinel is too deep so I have decided to reach out to Jerry Newman to have him evaluate and possibly remove about 1-2 mm of the height. Anyone here have shipped stones to Jerry by any other method besides the prior flat rate small box he recommended? He said he has a postal box and he checks it every couple days. I usually prefer to send my expensive items (well at least for me this is an expensive item) insured full amount and with signature required. I don't want to create inconvenience for Jerry but the spinel isn't few hundreds dollars, but couple thousands. Any suggestions?

I have shipped to Jerry, but nothing that costs that amount. Awesome cutter, by the way. But I would only send registered and insured (for the full amount) mail for something that is a couple thousand. I wouldn't want to take the chance of it disappearing in a regular Priority Flat Rate box. Registered mail takes forever, but it is locked up at every step of the way. Is Jerry's PO Box at an actual Post Office? Rather than at one of those fast postal type places? If it's at the Post Office, they'll put a note in his box and he can sign and pick it up. I'd also ask him to ship it back the same way.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Hi ElleW! Funny, before I posted this question I was going to your Etsy website and ask you for your advice but I thought may be I can get more answers here and more likely you might read my post and reply. I'll contact you personally next time for sure!

I mentioned about this to Jerry and he said it will change the wt, but will still looks the same facing up. He also might add more facets. I'm going to say I bought the spinel with no intention of selling it because even without requesting for the origin, I believe it's a Vietnamese spinel and more likely I'll make it into a ring and past it down to one of my children. Of course I prefer to keep the weight the same but right now it's almost 7mm and I think the lowest David can set it is 7.8mm. That's quite tall for a ring size 4 don't you agree?

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Thank you PinkJewel for explaining there's difference between PO and postal Box. I didn't know what he meant. I'll take your advice.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Violetphoenix|1441934884|3926317 said:
Thank you PinkJewel for explaining there's difference between PO and postal Box. I didn't know what he meant. I'll take your advice.

also, for registered insured mail- don't seal the box with plastic tape. It has to be sealed with paper tape. If you have a nice postal office they will do it for you right there.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Will do that too. When I sent two spinels to AGL and insured full amount via Express USPS and the package got there fast and safe and insured up to $5K, I just didn't know you can request for delivery signature with postal box...

Hey I can't wait to see what you're going to do with your new peachy-pink sapphire! My next mission also, but I'm determined to find one from Luc Yen.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jerry can advise you better with the stone in hand. Just a couple things to ask Jerry and mull over:

1. Inclusions can grow. A spinel cut for me lost 50% of its carat weight unexpectedly although the precision lapidary thought it was a safe candidate.
2. The greater the recut, the more likely the colour will be affected. Deep stones typically become lighter and sometimes lose saturation too. Yes, the sparkle factor is always increased.
3. I don't recall the original weight but there are price jumps at certain ct weights, so if it falls below this magic number, you are hit with a double whammy of paying $ for a higher ct weight but the spinel is now "worth" less because of the drop in $/ct, plus it's lower carat weight.
4. With all the recent synthetics in the market, it is good to have lab paperwork for it, especially if you plan to insure it. Freke is correct that any tweaking will render your report invalid.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, Thanks...You got me thinking about this again. So complicated! Will wait couple more days then decide what to do. I guess I prefer 1-2 mm lower and don't mind 10-15% loss, but possible a whole ct or more? yikes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results