shape
carat
color
clarity

Cure for DSS!

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Wear the bloody thing to a job interview.

I went to my first job interview since getting my adored engagement ring today. For a nano-second I did consider only wearing my wedding band, but I always wear my engagement ring and also my mother's heirloom engagement ring on my right hand for sentimental and security reasons and so I decided to wear them.

The interview didn't go brilliantly for reasons entirely unconnected to rings, and I'm not aware of the panel clocking it or anything, but my goodness I kept catching sight of it and I swear it had grown to golf ball proportions and was glittering evilly, doing its best to blind anyone within 20 yards.
My ring is a very simply set 2 carat round brilliant and it has definitely been shrinking lately giving rise to disloyal hankerings for 3 carats. However today (and I'm sure it won't last), I didn't wish it even 10 points larger!

I never feel self-conscious about my ring but today I was. My fault, I can't blame the interview panel, and I know I'm an idiot. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, usually in bad neighborhoods. :???:

Then it becomes as large as a basketball. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1441757874|3925291 said:
Yeah, usually in bad neighborhoods. :???:

Then it becomes as large as a basketball. :)

Haha totally. Or on the subway. OMG it feels HUGE then even when turned around. :shock: That's why I love (one of the few reasons) winter. Lovely winter mittens to cover my ERing during those times it *is* too big.

Sorry about your interview Zizzy. Hope you find a great opportunity very soon!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zizzy|1441756595|3925274 said:
I kept catching sight of it and I swear it had grown to golf ball proportions and was glittering evilly, doing its best to blind anyone within 20 yards.

:lol:

I totally visualized this and it cracked me up.

But yeah, like iLander and Missy said...any time you DON'T want to call attention to it, it grows larger. (mine's not big by any means, but still).

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Similar ... I was at a board meeting, looked around, and realized I was the only one wearing jewelry. I felt very self-conscious, hiding my hands in my lap.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
The darn recessed lighting in our elevator at work and in our conference room seem to make my ring grow to the size of a light bulb and catch everyone's attention, especially that of my female boss who only wears a plain band.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I did not wear my former ER for at least a year after starting in a new position. But when I did, thud. Or should I say, doh.

It drew unwanted and unnecessary attention from others who apparently had spent some time and effort discussing "it" and when that did come to my notice, it wasn't flattering. In retrospect, I didn't wear the ring for that reason; yet I was discouraged with that undercurrent, nonetheless. Folks!

cheers--Sharon

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Zizzy...your "cure" for DSS was hilarious ...thanks for sharing.

I would turn my 2.1c radiant around in certain environments.... 9mm x 6.6 mm set E/W. But ppl would comment on how pretty my ring was at times, which didn't bother me.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very interesting thread on the theory of relativity!
If someone comments on Joy I usually take her off so they can try her on and get a closer look at the facets while I give a "short course" in antique diamonds.
Missy, I do not recommend this approach with Bea on the subway!
[unless I am the person sitting next to you haha]

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1442223058|3927475 said:
A very interesting thread on the theory of relativity!
If someone comments on Joy I usually take her off so they can try her on and get a closer look at the facets while I give a "short course" in antique diamonds.
Missy, I do not recommend this approach with Bea on the subway!
[unless I am the person sitting next to you haha]

Haha no worries Jimmianne. And if you were sitting next to me on the train you could wear Bea all you wanted as long as I could wear Ms Joy that is. :bigsmile:

I do have a story to share about when I first got engaged many many years ago with my first ER and I was riding the subway. A very handsome young man (I was young too at that time LOL) came up to me (we were both standing on the subway holding on to the bars above) and said congratulations when did you get engaged. I was so shocked because I did not know him and in the moment I couldn't figure out how he knew I was engaged (LOLOL) and then I realized it and was very embarrassed because everyone on the train was watching.

Another time someone on the train was very complimentary about my ring (again original ER) and wanted a better look. Now this was on a crowded subway during rush hour and this other young man who wanted to look was probably harmless but that was the incident that caused me to be more cautious and turn around my ring on the train. And this was all with my original ER which was not that large at all!

So lesson is it is all about relativity and perspective and be careful out there with our diamonds girls and boys. They are sparkly and draw attention no matter their size. Beauty comes in all sizes that's for sure. :appl:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After having had my 3 ct, I feel your pain. Many times, I looked down and thought, what am I doing wearing this here?

I got many many compliments but sometimes you just stick your hand in your pocket to hide it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results