shape
carat
color
clarity

Acne

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do w/my skin. I've had horrible skin since 5th grade. 30 years now. 30 years of "you'll grow out of it" "it's stress" "it's b/c of what you eat" "it's your period" (um, der, for 30 years?) It's not even little blackheads or those little red bumpy pimples. Well, it is, but on top of that it's the gigantic cystic ones under the skin that are big and red and stick out and they hurt. They're like...nodules.

I've been on Accutane four times...or five?, and it was all over the course of 4 or 5 years. It was a short period of time, considering it's a 6 month treatment, that I would need to go back on it after being off for 6 months. I also went on a bc pill that was supposed to help your skin..ortho cyclen or ortho tri cyclen..something. I've been on both those, and also ortho tri cyclen lo. When I was on Accutane, I weighed about 100# and was on the recommended dosage for someone who weighed 240# b/c my oil glands would absolutely not shut down, they are that overactive. The dermatologist spent a lot of time shaking his head and saying "I don't know what to do, I've never seen a case like you before"

I've been on everything, and when I say everything, I mean just that. I spent years going to the dermatologist every 6 weeks (and being out in the middle of nowhere, that's no small feat), every 4 weeks if he wanted to check progress.

I used to go in for injections into the big cystic ones. I don't remember what was injected..a steroid or something, I'm not sure-it hurt but it helped dry them out from the inside. Until the next one came along.

I stopped all hormonal bc this past April-which has been tremendous as far as migraines go-I've been pretty much 100% migraine free since then, just a couple tolerable headaches, and minimal nausea. After spending 1-3 weeks per month forcing myself to work, take care of the house, the kids etc b/c I was in such unbearable pain and felt sick all the time--after 6 years of that, this has been amazing. BUT-it's not helping my skin a'tall. (not that it was good before by any means, it's just worse now)

I did a series of this light thing that kills the bacteria on your face. That worked, but was about $100/week, so I did the series of 2 tx/week for three weeks and that was it. Then I tried chemical peels. They worked, had a bit of down time w/yucky skin and peeling in between, but an hour away and they're $150/each.

Most recently I've done two 8 micron laser peels. With no-and I mean NO improvement in the acne. That is the equivalent of 16 chemical peels. When I went in for my second one, the attendant wrinkled her face and was like "well..huh..." at my lack of improvement. I was told that I might need to do the really deep peels, which are 40 micron--which require a lot more healing/down time, that I can not take time off work for, and are over $200/each. The skin on my forehead looks smoother, and there is one spot that used to be really dark and have an indentation that looks better. Acne is not any better. I was told that sometimes the acne is so deep in your skin it might take a while to get it all out. Well, I guess I kinda figure if it's *that* deep in my skin that the equivalent of almost 18 months of tx hasn't helped--doesn't that mean there's a bigger/deeper issue that needs to be addressed? I'm going to cancel the last peel and get a refund on it.

So, now what? It's just so taxing on how I feel about myself. And I know, gawd do I know, I've been told for 30 years, it's not what's on the outside, it's what's on the inside. I get that. But sometimes, I just want to look in the mirror and smile and think I look pretty-instead of a blank stare and just dealing w/how I look. Sometimes what's on the outside makes what's on the inside feel so bad about itself that it takes refuge in being alone and thinking bad/sad thoughts.

There is another skin clinic I found, that is closer to me, that is run by a local Dr. I'm not sure how involved in it he actually is. They have better hours than the other place where I got the laser peels, and it wouldn't be as hard to get to them, wouldn't have to take time off work. Free consults, so I guess that can't hurt. They have the IPL light which kills the bacteria on your face. Or do I find a dermatologist and see what I find out there? Go back on Accutane? I'm about half scared of Accutane anymore-I think all those heavy dosages messed w/my eyes and caused some other issues...I had perfect better than 20/20 vision before starting it, and I then I started having panic attacks after a while, and I had some anger issues. Those could all be coincidences w/shit I had going on in my life, I don't know. I know more now after reflecting, so would know what to look for during tx.

Or both? Try the other skin clinic and if the light doesn't work for any longer than a couple weeks, find a dermatologist?

Sorry, that was a bit of a freak out dump there. I made the mistake of looking in the mirror, which sparked this-my skin is like braille.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
My acne story. It is unusual, and hopefully it may be of use.

When I was a teenager, I'd a get a few zits on my face, nothing unusual. My face would either be clear, or have one or two zits, nothing that troubled me, I looked liked most others at my school.

My back and chest were a different story, especially my back. It had so many zits that it looked like a pizza. Some of them deep lesions, very painful, not quite boils, but bad, others your standard garden-variety zits.

My doctor would lance them. They kept coming back. It was so bad that I faced my back against the lockers or wall whenever I had to disrobe in front of people ie. gym class. I never even would think of taking my shirt off in front of a boy.

It went on for many years. The only good thing about it was the fun I had popping them. :naughty:

I got relief only when I took an action that was not about acne. The cure was a side effect of that action: I gave up chicken, eggs, all types of meat, fish and seafood and ate a health-food diet completely made from scratch from organically-grown ingredients. (exception was when eating eggless vegetarian food in restaurants). (edit) Around that time, I started daily vitamin and mineral supplementation. I also noticed a huge improvement in the look of my nails at that time, too.

My skin cleared almost instantly and not a single lesion came back. My skin on my back and chest is covered with hundreds of small white, flat round scars from those days. I'm still on the same diet.

Best wishes to you.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you near the sea at all packrat? I don't know the severity of your acne but I have it as well and it clears up for me during the summer from being on and in the water. 2 dips in saltwater per week does more for me than using any kind of acne product ever did, but that could be personal experience and results may vary.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Sky for your story! I wonder about dairy and things like breads/pastas/cereals..you know, the very things in my life that I love to eat. Sigh. We're pretty secluded here, so getting certain things is about near impossible. I could change my diet to fruits/vegetables and something non-meat/egg/fish for protein and see how that works. Our organics are 2-5 times the cost of regular foods so cost wise, wouldn't be an option.

Jordy, I wish I were by the sea! I'm in nowheresville Iowa tho, about as far from saltwater as I could be. I did live w/my gramma in Arizona many years ago for a few months and the dry air I thought helped...but I also used to tan year round in the beds, and when I was in Arizona, I spent a lot of time laying out in the sun. The sun helped, but I don't want to get back into that again. Swimming at my gramma's pool helps a little bit, but that's only a few months out of the year.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh packrat, I'm sorry :(. You're such a nice person, I always love reading your posts - this is a crappy thing to have to deal with, I feel for you. I can sympathize to a point. I don't get a lot of blackheads or whiteheads, but like you, I do get those hurtful big "under the skin" type, I don't really know what they're called - they hurt and can take forever to clear up! And I'm in my mid 30s and still get them ALL the time.

But more than that, I have a different type of facial skin issue that flares up periodically, a few times a year; it's VERY noticeable to others, it's embarrassing and gross. I won't go into further details as that's not important or helpful here. But it's something I've been dealing with since I was 15, so quite some time now, and I HATE it. I take meds for it as needed but sometimes they work better than others.

I just want you to know that I think I sort of know how you feel, although it sounds like you've had it tougher. I admire your commitment to trying SO HARD to take care of this issue!! It sounds like you've *really* tried everything.

My husband had extremely bad facial acne back when we first met; I fell in love with him anyway, it never bothered me. He ended up doing a course of accutane in his very early 20s and it worked for him - cleared it right up and he's never had an issue with it since. He was lucky in that respect, but he had lived with it for a good 6-7 years or so before getting it treated. His mother just didn't even consider taking him to the doctor for it, so he waited until he was an adult with his own health insurance and went for treatment. (I was actually shocked at how well it worked for him). I worry a bit that our boys will have skin issues too since both of their parents have had to deal with it, but I guess we will deal with that when the time comes. I know it was very tough for my DH, and I honestly have no idea wth was wrong with his mother that she didn't try to help him with it, she just let him suffer through it; I would never do that with my kids. It hurt my heart a little after our first son was born - he had some minor infant acne (as I'm sure you know it's very common), but when DH saw it he actually said "do you think it's my fault? I hope he doesn't have my skin!", he was so worried. I know that even though his skin has long since cleared up, having to deal with it for years left emotional scars that I don't think have ever truly gone away. It's difficult.

So - I'm sorry that I don't have anything truly helpful for you here, just some sympathetic words. You have my best wishes and I hope you can get some good advice!!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Make an appointment with a dermatologist and ask to try Aldactone (if you haven't tried that one yet).

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packie, I'm sorry you are going through this.

FWIW, for anyone who tries to tell you anything about this is vanity or some such BS let me remind that ignoramus: Skin is the largest organ of your body. If you have a significant portion of an organ that is not functioning correctly, YOU HAVE A HEALTH ISSUE NOT A VANITY ISSUE.

So, try the aldactone if you have not already. Plenty of patients where I worked had success with it.

I also know that patients had tremendous success with the light treatments. Can you find a way to economize on something else so that you can get back on that? I have seen homemade light boxes that did the trick for some people, JD is handy, right? Do some googling and YouTubing on that, okay?

I'd be leery on the lasers, we had lots of patients terribly burned and damaged by those. If you do this, only in the hands of a board certified dermatologist who has training in lasers and doesn't use the PA or nurse or med assistant to do the treatments.

Please don't go back on the Accutane. You have side effects on it and I hate to see you signing up for those again when light treatments worked, right?

Here is another treatment that worked for patients: Zero treatment (other than the light). Water only, suggest the micellar water or micellar wipes available now even at Target. No toners, no moisturizers, no NOTHING and that includes makeup, for a good 90 days at least. Then see what you have there and make decisions at that point about makeup, moisturizers, cleansers, etc.

I know, it takes real gumption to do zero therapy but YOU CAN DO IT, I know you can, you endure tattoos, you work with small children every day, hahaha, you can do 90 days of zero therapy.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
OK--this may sound really stupid--but maybe your hormones are totally out of wack and you should see an endocrinologist?

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I understand what you are saying - health foods, organics, supplements etc. are expensive but I've found that I save money in the long run. I don't have expenditures on over-the-counter or prescription medicines and I rarely need to see a doctor. Best wishes.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Hi pakrat ,
we share two things : planter faciitis and acne ! (as I remember from a previous post ) . mine is mild , I have a couple or 3 big pimples every month. I am 45 and hate them .in the past birth control pills worked for a while . lately I am cleaning my face twice daily with Clean & clear face wash for sensitive skin then I wipe my face with a cotton ball dipped in apple cider vinegar . I am using "Bragg " the unfiltered with mother of vinegar . I put 1 Tbs vinegar + 2 Tbs water in a small bottle . my skin is a lot better. the big pimples have gone .

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1441665454|3924735 said:
Make an appointment with a dermatologist and ask to try Aldactone (if you haven't tried that one yet).

I looked it up b/c I didn't recognize that name, but it's also Spironolactone, and yep, that's one I was on. Thanks for the thought tho!

Thanks Kath. London had that baby acne too and I was horrified until I realized it was a normal thing. Now, she's had two big blackheads on the bridge of her nose, and that's all. She's one year older than I was when my skin started breaking out and I watch her skin like a hawk, fingers crossed and just so so so hoping her skin isn't going to be like mine. Neither of my parents had bad skin. My brother's broke out for a few years-mom took him to the dermatologist a couple times and then he didn't want to go anymore, so he left his skin alone and has never had a problem. Mom didn't take me until I was in 9th grade-so I dealt w/it for four years and by then it was...well, it was bad. She didn't want to spend the money. I don't care what it costs me if London's skin flares up, I'm taking her. I won't let her feel what I've felt.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ordered a face wash that is made w/apple cider vinegar and some other things..tea tree oil and some stuff.

Amber, I've wondered that too. I can't get anyone to agree w/me or send me anywhere. I'm always told it's stress, it's this, it's that, try this or that instead. I will see if I can make my own appointment-some places around here won't accept you w/out a referral.

I looked up micellar water and will order some.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sky56|1441667248|3924747 said:
I understand what you are saying - health foods, organics, supplements etc. are expensive but I've found that I save money in the long run. I don't have expenditures on over-the-counter or prescription medicines and I rarely need to see a doctor. Best wishes.

I can do small bits possibly-but we're out in the middle of nowhere, so I don't want to drive for an hour to get groceries is also part of it. Our town just recently "expanded" its organic offerings-so now we have like, one kind of apples *and* one kind of bananas or whatever, you know? And just for regular non organic/healthy things, we spend at times $200/week on groceries. I don't make much more than that a week!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1441678827|3924809 said:
LAJennifer|1441665454|3924735 said:

I looked it up b/c I didn't recognize that name, but it's also Spironolactone, and yep, that's one I was on. Thanks for the thought tho!

Thanks Kath. London had that baby acne too and I was horrified until I realized it was a normal thing. Now, she's had two big blackheads on the bridge of her nose, and that's all. She's one year older than I was when my skin started breaking out and I watch her skin like a hawk, fingers crossed and just so so so hoping her skin isn't going to be like mine. Neither of my parents had bad skin. My brother's broke out for a few years-mom took him to the dermatologist a couple times and then he didn't want to go anymore, so he left his skin alone and has never had a problem. Mom didn't take me until I was in 9th grade-so I dealt w/it for four years and by then it was...well, it was bad. She didn't want to spend the money. I don't care what it costs me if London's skin flares up, I'm taking her. I won't let her feel what I've felt.

I totally hear you, my oldest son just turned 11 and especially now that he's getting close to being a teen, I watch his skin like a hawk too, lol. So far, so good. My youngest son has eczema issues on his elbows and knees, which my DH also had as a kid - so I kind of actually worry that my youngest will be the one who has acne issues too, since his skin is very much like DH's in many ways. But I'm like you - I'll be on top of it, and we will do what we can for them right away as necessary. There's just no need for them to have to deal with those issues if we can possibly prevent it or help it early on.

I'm hoping some of the suggestions in this thread will help. I thought jordy's salt water idea was interesting. Anecdotally I've always heard that salt water has "curative" powers - I mean, there's no actual data to back this idea up, as far as I know. But maybe it wouldn't hurt to try?

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Trying Himalayan pink salt in your diet might be worth a try, too. Braggs Liquid Aminos is another good Braggs product. Sometimes healing or resolution of ailments is helped by products with are rich in trace minerals. Stress, lack of sleep, sugar consumption, artificial processed foods and sub-optimal diet can play a role in any disorder. Himalayan pink salt can be expensive, but often TJMaxx has it in its food aisle for really cheap - same brand as in the expensive stores.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
You're right. packrat, organics and health food are so much easier to get if living in a city, or living in a place with lots of organic farming. I also get a lot of free food from friends who beg me to take away their overspill of homegrown garden food. If it is too expensive or a hassle for you to get, then I think that experimenting with eating different foods or trying some of the things the others here recommend is a great idea, and I see you've already ordered some of those things. :read: :angel:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Himalayan pink salt? Off to google again I go!

I can totally see salt water being curative. I wish we were closer..'course, being scared of the ocean kinda puts a damper on that too..

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see there are a million different kinds of micellar water. Any recommendations?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty sure Missy swears by Avene. That Simple line available at target, etc., might be fine too?

Re salt water /ocean, that healing thing is for supercicial cuts IMHO. I surfed all the time in college and my BF who surfed with me had horrendous cystic acne

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hey azstone :wavey:

I found that the ocean always helped clear up my acne as well as my sister's when we were teens, it's probably one of those 'horses for courses' things though but we found it helped. Just sucks that packrat is so far from the ocean, at the very least it's good fun and exercise if it doesn't help acne!

And you're spot on about cuts, saltwater is THE BEST for any kind of cut and I always dip any cut or graze in the water when I am on my boat. But it's more useful than simply just infection treatment; when I was 14 I removed the tip of my thumb with a blunt knife, so I cleaned the two bits that made up my thumb in saltwater and put it all back together with plasters. To this day you would never know there was anything wrong with it, yet my middle finger has lumps and scars from the doctor from a similar incident. I personally think it's better than any kind of disinfectant you could find in a hospital or pharmacy :shhh:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I have very sensitive skin, and have struggled with dermatitis, rashes and hives my whole life. I had mild acne in my late-teens, which was cleared by using retin-A. Then in my early 30s I began breaking out worse than I ever had, and the breakouts were often accompanied by itchy patches of dermatitis. A friend told me that allergies to fragrances, detergents, chemicals, etc caused him to break out, and could be causing my skin problems too. I was at my wits end so I switched to Mrs Meyers unscented detergent, stopped using fabric softener/dryer sheets and switched to natural cleaning products and my skin began improving. If you're using scented detergents and fabric softener it might be worth changing those habits. It couldn't hurt to see what happens!

I then cut out the harsh facial cleansers, scrubs and creams and began washing my face thoroughly nightly with either Sebamed face and body wash or Dove soap (which I have used my whole life and has never caused irritation). Then I moisturize with NaPCA spray, which is AMAZING, and Sebamed face cream if I need more moisture. In the morning I just splash water on my face, finish with NaPCA and use a powdered mineral sunscreen. Basically I started using cleaners that are gentle and I had used with success on my body, and began using them on my face--In my case, less is more and the more I left my skin alone the better it got. For a few weeks it felt yucky and oily, but it turned out that for me the oilyness was caused by me over stripping natural oils from my skin.

I now have mostly clear skin--I still get an occasional mild breakout, but have been mostly clear for about a year and it is such a relief. Unfortunately I have been left with large pores and some scars--the dark spots are mostly faded, but I have some shallow indented scars on my cheeks. Still, I am so happy to be able to go out without makeup on and not be embarrassed. Each person is different, but I truly hope that you find a routine that works for you and you are able live without the mental and physical pain of acne.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Packrat, ugh I am so sorry you are dealing with skin issues. That really sucks. I get it because even though I had beautiful skin till I hit my late 30's early 40's I now am dealing with skin problems for the last decade or so and even more so since last winter so I feel your pain literally. Physically and emotionally.

Here is my best advice with this though we have very different skin issues as my skin is very dry, uber sensitive (I mean really really crazy sensitive) and I have rosacea and Perioral dermatitis issues and maybe a bit of Seborrheic dermatitis too. So even though I am sharing what helps me since we have very different skin I am not sure it will be helpful for you but just in case there is something here that could help I am sharing it.

Keep in mind there is a rather large learning curve in finding what works for you and what works for you during one time may stop working at another and then you have to begin the search all over. Well not all over but just keep in mind sometimes products that used to work may start causing a reaction so one must always be re-evaluating if your skin starts changing again.

I find changing one product at a time helpful so you can really see what is helping and what is not. I found most oils to be reactive for my skin where even though my skin is so dry the oils (even the non comedogenic oils) caused breakouts. So I don't use oil on my face for the most part. There was no oil that did not eventually cause a reaction for my skin.

I find using a minimum of skin care products is best for me. I found Zero Therapy to be a huge bust for me and aggravated my skin even more. My dermatologist forbid me to continue with it LOL. It was awful but you might experience different results as we have very different skin. Though I would say listen to your body and if you feel worse while doing it (after giving it a chance that is) stop it. This is what helps me.

Washing very gently and using no harsh ingredients. The fewer the ingredients the better. I love La Roche Posay and some Avene products as Kristie mentioned. I use Avene thermal spray to wash my face. Regular tap water never touches my face anymore. I use the Toleriane dermo cleanser to gently wash my face.
http://www.laroche-posay.us/toleriane-3433422406599.html#q=dermo+cleanser&start=1

I use the ultra moisturizer to moisturize. Awesome stuff and does not irritate my super sensitive skin.
http://www.laroche-posay.us/toleriane-ultra-3337872412486.html#q=ultra+moisturizer&start=1

And this is my favorite heavy moisturizer that I use sparingly because anything too heavy can flare POD though ironically this says it is good for POD so who knows. I LOVE the Avene Cicalfate restorative skin cream. It is great for anything dry, patchy or even cuts. Heals them right up.
http://www.aveneusa.com/cicalfate-restorative-skin-cream

I use everything fragrance free. Everything that touches my skin has as few harsh ingredients as possible. No SLS (ammonium lauryl sulfate and sodium laurel sulfate), no fragrance, no alcohol, no chemicals found in many sunscreens (I only use sunscreens with physical ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide), no petrochemicals (for the most part there are exceptions), no methylisothazolinone, no preservatives, no phthalates, no comedogens, and there are others. In my sensitive skin thread there are a few helpful websites. I have to do a search and link them here for you as I cannot remember offhand. As a general rule more is less when it comes to whatever is touching your face. That is why I like La Roche Posay and Avene as the products I am using now have very few ingredients and most of them very suitable to ultra reactive skin.

I also believe some are sensitive to diet though not everyone. I have cut out (for the most part) dairy, peanut butter, chocolate, gluten, wheat, processed carbs) and eat mainly organic and whole foods. Now I am once again vegan though during summer I am a pescetarian. With autumn and winter coming I am back to vegan. I will say when I first came down with POD I was eating vegan so that was not any different however I believe for me cutting out dairy etc is helpful as when I eat dairy my rosacea paps come out more. The reason I eat vegan is only for my love of animals and has nothing to do with my skin issues though I think cutting out certain animal products can be helpful i.e. red meat etc.

I wish I could tell you what would help your skin and I know how challenging dealing with these issues are on so many levels. It really does affect you in so many ways that people who never had these issues just cannot really get and understand no matter how sympathetic. Until one is actually suffering with serious skin conditions it just doesn't hit home the same way. It sucks big time and affects your quality of life in so many ways. The skin pain is awful even more than the appearance. Sending you big hugs and good thoughts.

Just wanted to add that if that light therapy can help control your acne I would so go for it no matter what else I had to give up. Seriously that would be #1 for me. No cost too great if it would clear up my skin. I would go without bling, new clothes etc no question about it. As for Accutane if you are going to go back on it I would ask for the lowest possible dosage i.e. 10 mg qod and slowly accumulate it in your system. It will still work but more gradually and without as strong the side effects. Just a thought if you do go back on it.

ETA found my old thread and it has a lot of helpful tips from knowledgeable PSers. Hope it helps you!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-needed-for-super-reactive-and-sensitive-skin.209827/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-needed-for-super-reactive-and-sensitive-skin.209827/[/URL]

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a lot of the same issues you describe and one thing I have noticed is that my skin is incredibly sensitive. The less I do to it, the better. Harsh treatments, soaps, prescriptions, etc just start a firestorm of acne flare ups that can last a year or more. I am very gentle with my skin and when it seems like it can handle something a bit more invasive, I give it a peel or two, but that's it!!

Products I love...
Pevonia's sensitive skin line, but only the cleanser and the toner. Stay away from the moisturizer, that stuff is zit city.
Aveeno makes a lotion specifically for eczema skin, I use this on my body.
Acne.org makes the best AHA lotion, but I mainly use this on my body.
MUAC peels
I haven't yet found a moisturizer that I love. I have been trying a big sample of clinique's redness relief cream, so far, so good...

When I cleanse, I put the cleanser on my face and gently wipe it off with little facial sponges or a soft washcloth, then rinse.

The clarisonic is too much for me and causes break outs.

Think.. Kid gloves.
Oh, and I have a tub of raw, unrefined Shea butter that has literally lasted me 10 years that heals all that ails my skin.

I don't get cysts anymore, now that I have stopped scrubbing and chemically aggravating my skin.

Maybe you are very sensitive too. You have said your skin is very fair. It seems that a lot of fair skinned people have sensitive skin.

Can you grow your own organic food? Flowers are my first love but I also have a lot of fun getting geeky on the food growing side of gardening.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Packrat, sorry to hear you're dealing with terrible acne, I do hope you find something that works. My story is a bit different but I've had psoriasis for as long as I can remember. It comes and goes, sometimes worse than others. Well a few years ago I developed a psoriasis of sorts, they were little red bumps in my underarms (not where I shave but right around that area) and they were painful! (my other psoriasis really didn't bother me, just a little dry/flaky spots on the back/bottom of my scalp and my elbows) I had to figure out how to get rid of this newly developed issue. I tried a ton of different medications, nothing worked. I started to change up my diet to see if that would help. I gave up gluten 100% and I have noticed a huge difference. I do still take one medication that I finally found that worked pretty well but adding the no-gluten diet to it, was a huge improvement. I also don't eat dairy so giving up gluten was hard. But in the end it was so worth it and I'm still able to find lots of options to eat :) I would experiment with your diet and see if some of that could change. Even if you can't get organic, try eating lots of fresh veggies, some meats/seafood, rice, quinoa, etc hopefully you can get all of that at a store by you. Or for the dried items like quinoa/beans/polenta/etc, maybe you can pick those up once a month at a store a bit farther away, since they are dried, they'll last longer.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel for you. I was going to recommend going to a dermatologist as they would have all the latest and greatest, but it sounds like you've already done that.
I have also had acne all my life. I remember being a teenager looking forward to it going away when I was no longer a teenager but it never did! For me being on oral contraceptives has helped a lot. I basically have a skin that almost anything can irritate it. Also I recently learned that I have rosacea. My regular doctor mentioned that I had it a few years ago but as the medicine they prescribed for it my pharmacy didn't fill, I didn't specifically treat it. However I now developed the eye version of it as well, so I am more concerned.
I have been using cetaphil face lotion and antibacterial bar soap, and my sister gave me a set of cerave (sp?) cleansers and lotions that are also very soothing on my skin. I also found out things that help with the acne, may irritate the skin and may the rosacea worse, so I am trying to wean myself off some of the things I was doing to see if that can help over the long term.

But basically for me the things that help my skin is exercise, lots of water, garlic, sun. I have noticed if I eat a very clean diet (little meat lots of fruits and vegs/salad, no coffee, wine/beer, chocolate) that also helps but it is hard to stick with.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
Hi packrat!

So sorry about your skin troubles. I'm kind of in the same boat. Almost identical. I am a vegetarian and have been my whole life, so my diet choices are better than most. I know when I went through a period of being a raw foodist, my skin cleared beautifully, but that could have been the hormonal birth control. I just got off of hormonal birth control and got a copper IUD instead. and the acne came back with a vengeance. I'm on oral antibiotics while I wait for my appt with the dermatologist. My regular dr. said I should try accutane next. But I started the acne.org regimen about 5 ish weeks ago. It's helping the active flare ups clear up quickly, but new flare ups keep coming, so I'm still very skeptical about it. and as some of the reviewers of the regimen posted -- horrible dryness and neck rashes started, so I backed off on the amount of the BP I was using and that's all subsided. but I'm going to tough it out and see how it works for me. and I'll check back in with you about what treatment the dermatologist recommends and how that goes. It really is a horrible predicament to be in at age 33. and I seriously feel for you. ((hugs)) hopefully, we get through this!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you're struggling so much :( I have never had *terrible* skin, because birth control would generally control it. But i wanted to go off BC and had an IUD put in. It's been about a year and a half now, and my skin is really terrible. So, my only advice is NOT to get an IUD.

Do you live in a humid place? I know when I went to Hawaii, my skin looked like a million bucks, and I wasn't even doing anything. I live in a very very DRY place, all year round. So it was a nice change to not have dry scaley pimples, but nice glowy radiant skin. My hair, was another story haha.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, I had one more thing I wanted to share with you. I eat cultured (fermented) veggies every day for the good bacteria our bodies need. Not sure if it will help your skin but it can help your health nonetheless. Here is a link fyi for you to read about it yourself and decide if it is something you are interested in. You can make your own and that is inexpensive to do.

http://wellnessmama.com/2245/health-benefits-fermented-foods/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/15/caroline-barringer-interview.aspx

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pack,

Have you tried the acne.org regimen? Good stuff! I would also recommend Paula's Choice 2% BHA.

I would also say to stop eating bread, cookies, cakes, etc. White flour and sugar are so bad for acne-prone skin.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
missy said:
Packrat, I had one more thing I wanted to share with you. I eat cultured (fermented) veggies every day for the good bacteria our bodies need. Not sure if it will help your skin but it can help your health nonetheless. Here is a link fyi for you to read about it yourself and decide if it is something you are interested in. You can make your own and that is inexpensive to do.

http://wellnessmama.com/2245/health-benefits-fermented-foods/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/15/caroline-barringer-interview.aspx

I take live probiotic pills for the same bacteria. I haven't gotten around to fermenting veggies, though I do love the crunchy, pickle-y goodness of them. Kimchee and sauerkraut are so delicious to me and I was amazed to learn of all the health benefits! Trader Joe's started selling fresh sauerkraut recently and I am obsessed! Thanks for posting this info/recipe. I definitely need to try it!

Anyways, I get my probiotics from the refrigerated section of the health food or supplement store. This is really gross, but I tend to get yeast overgrowth due to the steroids I take daily to control my severe asthma, and taking probiotics has been the only thing that really helps. It also helps with my digestion, "brain fog" and itchy skin rashes. I also take a healthy spoonful of organic, unfiltered cider vinegar in the mornings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results