shape
carat
color
clarity

The Hope Spinel

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
The "light claret" colored Hope spinel, at a mere 50-plus carats, will be sold at Bonhams this month. The catalogue entry reads like a dynastic novel. http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22642/lot/146/
The stone used to lie in the same drawer as the Hope diamond. It has a nice convertible setting and can be worn as a brooch or as a pendant. image_55.jpg
The presale estimate is $230,000-$310,000. My attention was called to the stone by the estimable Jewels du Jour blog.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The lighting looks like reflections coming off the Hope Diamond............ What an interesting and beautiful piece! And the write up is entertaining too!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh :love: :love:
I like!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely beautiful. But what I want to know is how do they make it appear to float in the photo? I love that effect.

S

SparkliesLuver

That's called some skilled Photoshop work, minous. Or at least that's my guess! haha

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
giant window??

big_1_.jpg

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
It does look like a giant window. But it is absolutely clear and beautiful. Not to mention huge.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did anyone see the 32ct yavorskyy spinel they cut and posted on their Facebook recently. I though of it when I saw this, particularly the first photo. Yes only 32 ct but I prefer it to this one :sun:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to say it, but it looks like a giant, unattractive synthetic. The color is too purple and dark for my taste in spinels too. The cutting is horrible.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
Pink spinel 50Ct estimate 300K top end.

That's only 6K carat.

Now IF it was red spinel, it would be 25K carat.

1.25Mil if red

250K pink

That's how important RED is in stones today.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
90 percent window = 10 percent stone hahaha. So better to get a well cut 5ct spinel well cut

drruby

Shiny_Rock
That's why I've never cared much for any stone with an emerald cut.

They all look like colored glass if high quality clarity.

Yeah, they're rare since only super clean stones should ever have an EM cut.

But once you have it, so what, it's like glass not a gem, not much diffusion of light in any EM cut.

But it's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

To each their own.

I just don't like pink much, I don't like pink spinel, red pink rubies nor pink sapphires.

But I'm sure ladies love a big pink stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
drruby|1441640843|3924595 said:
That's why I've never cared much for any stone with an emerald cut.

They all look like colored glass if high quality clarity.

Yeah, they're rare since only super clean stones should ever have an EM cut.

But once you have it, so what, it's like glass not a gem, not much diffusion of light in any EM cut.

But it's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

To each their own.

I just don't like pink much, I don't like pink spinel, red pink rubies nor pink sapphires.

But I'm sure ladies love a big pink stone.

Im stating the obvious here but not all step cuts have windows.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
U put a flawless 5 carat carbon on the finger of a beautiful woman and across the room you can see it.

U put a J VS round on another woman and the people on the other side of the room need sunglasses it's so bright.

I have rarely seen any EM cut with any major NOTICE me factor other than up close

NICE BIG CLEAN ICE

EM's are more of a jewelers thing IMO, you look at the finger of the wife of a major jeweler, huge EM cut great color

It's their I'm successful stone

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
drruby|1441644089|3924620 said:
U put a flawless 5 carat carbon on the finger of a beautiful woman and across the room you can see it.

U put a J VS round on another woman and the people on the other side of the room need sunglasses it's so bright.

I have rarely seen any EM cut with any major NOTICE me factor other than up close

NICE BIG CLEAN ICE

EM's are more of a jewelers thing IMO, you look at the finger of the wife of a major jeweler, huge EM cut great color

It's their I'm successful stone

I've seen plenty of EC stones that have a large impact both up close and across the room.

I think maybe they just aren't for you. ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results