shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed re: remaking Leon Mege pave halo setting

camomof4

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I was active on this forum years ago when I first was searching for my engagement ring. Just had my 9th anniversary (!!) and now I'm back for some advice on a perplexing problem with my Leon Mege halo engagement ring.

I chose an ultra thin pave milgrain halo setting from LM as my engagement ring. (I can't remember how thin, maybe 1.5 or 1.8mm?) I absolutely loved the design and still do to this today. However, after only a couple of years of wearing the setting I started having trouble with it. The milgrain became beat up very quickly - the metal sides dented in and changed the beautiful side profile of the ring. Also, more troubling, the shank became warped into an egg shape instead of a circle. As you can imagine, this change in shape caused stones to start falling out of the setting.

Leon made repairs to the ring, replacing the lost stones for free, etc. Eventually however the warping became so bad that he said there was no way to fix it, I needed to have the setting remade entirely. I did so, probably at the 4 or 5 year mark (losing track now). Thankfully Chubb paid because the condition of the ring was so bad. Now, at the 9 year mark, the problem has returned in full force once again. I hate looking down at my beautiful ring and seeing it looking like this. Worse, I'm uncomfortable wearing it now because every time I have it on I'm so super hyper conscious of not damaging it. Many times I just leave it at home.

Leon's explanation has always been that I am simply too hard on the ring. I am not here to complain about Leon. I do like him very much and I think his designs are amazing. But, I am always careful with my ring. I don't wear it when I shower, cook, to the gym, to yoga, or any of that. I'm not lifting weights or doing construction or swinging a sledgehammer with it. In fact as noted, many days I don't even wear it at all. Then I browsed through here a bit tonight and saw some references to other people possibly having similar shank warping in thin pave rings. Perhaps it is the delicateness of the shank that is to blame?

Anyway: on to the action item. I am going to have my ring reset (again). Priority number one for me is to have something I can wear every day (in reasonable non-impact situations). I need to feel comfortable that the ring is not going to easily damage or have stones popping out if I accidentally bang my hand on the car door. I've looked at some plain, no pave three stone options which probably would be much sturdier. However, my heart is with my pave halo setting. I would love to hear opinions from you all on the following:

Is it possible to have a (at least semi) delicate pave setting that will stand up to reasonable, careful daily wear?

Are there modifications I can make to the ring style to make the pave sturdier? It seems like perhaps the thinness of the shank was my big problem. (I also have a LM wedding band which is a much thicker eternity twist style and I have had NO problems whatsoever with it.) Any suggestions as to how thin is too thin? Would nixing the milgrain help? What about just going for one sided pave instead of three sided? What about regular pave instead of micro?

Any recommended jewelers for LM-style pave? If you have a pave ring that has stood the test of time, I'd love to hear who made it. I am at the moment talking to mark at ERD (now brilliantly engaged?), who sold me my diamond long ago. Would love to hear about your experiences with Mark or other pave jewelers. We leave outside of San Fran so Bay Area recommendations welcome too.

Finally, if you have had a similar shank problem with a thin pave ring, I'd like to hear about it because this could help me narrow down the reason for the issues I've been having.

After i post this I will try to upload some images of my ring in its current state. Thanks for listening.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
Ring photo

_33968.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The ring does seem pretty beat up. How about exact same style but with thicker shank? Same width as your eternity band that you mentioned is fine? Alternatively give a shout out to those with VC or SK's equally thin pave rings and see how their rings fare over these few years. If theirs are alright, then maybe you can look into those rings.

II think someone also has a LM ring similar to yours and it's still her avatar so I assume hers is still fine. Maybe you check out her ring's width. Think she's luvsparkle.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show the pic to Victor and see if he can make the same thing for you and ask if he thinks his will last longer - it could be if you wear your rings 24/7 no pave withstand this or it could be that a different supplier is what you need.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow your ring looks very sad... :((

Just a question... Are you someone who wears their rings all the time? I'm sure others would tell you these pave' styles should be babied a bit. I never wear mine to the gym, to clean house, to work in the yard, etc... I wear a plain band. I see people at our gym all the time in their rings with weight lifting gloves. I'm always surprised how many people wear their jewelry to work out.

Not critizing you if you do but thinking you might want to choose a different style with less pave and maybe add a pave band for extra bling.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three sided pave is not a good idea for a lot of reasons, but it means you are putting holes in the shank on three sides and weakening the shank. So limiting it to the top only should help. Your ring really does look beat up. Others have mentioned this, but I will repeat that pave rings should never be worn 24/7. They should not be worn when doing housework, dishes, carrying boxes or bags that might touch the ring and smash the milgrain, etc., working out, working in the yard, sleeping, etc. My rings are not pave, but I only wear them when going out and they look almost new.

Victor is who I would use, and I am pretty sure he says a minimum of 1.8 mm for the shank. In your case, 2mm might be safer, but I truly would leave the sides either plain or engraved.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there,

I'm not sure where outside of the SF Bay Area you live, but Darren McClung in Palo Alto has an excellent bench person he uses. He does very quality work. I had a platinum french set eternity band made and it was so sturdy and gorgeous. Darren is also very knowledgeable so it could be worth going to see him about your ring if it's within a reasonable distance to you. Others have liked Joe Escobar in Campbell, but I have not personally experienced their work.

Good luck! I hope you get a reset that makes so very happy every time you look at your ring!

camomof4

Rough_Rock
Thanks all.

Before the ring was damaged, I wore it daily, but in non-impact situations. To work, to the store, to dinner. Not gardening or cooking or showering or to the gym. I need a ring that will stand up to careful but daily use. Maybe pave just isn't it?

Still, I'm surprised by the extent of the warping to the shank. I have a hard time believing this is normal wear and tear. Anyone have any thoughts what may have caused this? Perhaps the shank is too thin - but I looked around a lot this weekend at Tiffany, Cartier, Shreve (wouldn't buy there, but window shopping is good for ideas) and found plenty of pave erings with thinner shanks. I'm just really confused about why mine didn't stand up to the test of time. Maybe it was all BS, but in each store when I showed them my ring they were shocked (almost everyone asked if it was white gold instead of platinum).

Thanks for the suggestion re: Darren McClung. We live close by and I've actually been into his shop. I'll go this week.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that looks like Reena's ring. I have always loved that setting. So sorry that it didn't hold up well for you

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a sad looking ring. 3 sided pave is out if you want durable.
Can you skip the pave on the shank entirely and just do a plain shank halo with weddings pave bands instead?

Here's mine:

Layla%20Steven%20Reset%20close%20up.jpg
Layla%20Steven%20Reset_0.jpg

My Scott Kay wedding band (platinum one sided pave) is a workhorse I wear 24/7. And I wear my engagement ring as often as it sounds like you do. And mine is holding up great. It's a type of brightcut pave.

Victor could do a lovely version. But Steven Kirsch did my halo pave and it's holding up perfectly. My shank is a plain cast one (long story). And it's also held up great. My halo is 1/2 pointers. And my shank is 2mm comfort fit. And my halo is not set high at all.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow, if that is you Reena, I've thought of your ring often! Can't believe such a beautiful ring sustained so much damage. Good luck with finding a reasonable solution or a fix. Maybe it's time for an upgrade? ;-)

camomof4

Rough_Rock
jerichosmom|1442714739|3929697 said:
Oh wow, if that is you Reena, I've thought of your ring often! Can't believe such a beautiful ring sustained so much damage. Good luck with finding a reasonable solution or a fix. Maybe it's time for an upgrade? ;-)

Hello there - yes, it's me! Don't have the email address associated with my old account anymore, so now I'm reborn as CA Mom of 4. (!!!) It's been a long time, but wow - I've missed Pricescope!

My poor ring, done in by 4 kids in 6 years.... :(

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the problem is a combination of being too hard on your ring and the delicateness of the shank. While your wear may be acceptable for sturdier rings, it clearly isn't acceptable for the ring you own, which is the sort of "princess ring" that should really only be worn at events where the most strenuous thing you're doing with left hand is holding a fork while you cut into something.

Usually the forum recommends at least 2mm thick for anything with pave. And oh god, I just saw that yours is three-sided? JESUS CHRIST no wonder you're having issues. I'd say go at least 2.3mm+ for three-sided - my wedding set is three-sided pave but I don't like skinny rings so my wedding band is 3mm and my engagement ring is nearly 4mm - I've had no issues with the pave in either in over 4 years. I used to wear them only a few days a week but for the past year I've worn them much more and still no issues. If you want skinny pave it's probably best to just do one-sided.

Do you sleep with your ring on? What kind of ring do you wear beside it?

eta so you can get an idea of the thickness of my rings - finger size 4.5 (the other ring is like my least favorite ring ever but this pic was for a 4th of July thread and this is my "american flag" combo, lol, and this was the only pic I had uploaded where you could really make out the shank of the engagement ring)
photo__1__8.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CAmomof4, (AKA Reena), I will be really interested to see what you pick. I really debated between your ring style and the one I picked, and still love your ring to this day. It is my hands down favorite. I am in the same boat as you. I haven't lost pave, but my ring is out of round and the migraine is bent. I just haven't wanted to send it back to Leon for repair. I am curious if you have found anything that combines the delicate with the somehow sturdy. I love brilliantly engaged's Dahlia setting. Have you found anything you love yet?

camomof4

Rough_Rock
Hi! Thanks for the compliment. I love your ring as well. I had ten lovely years with my ring and I am sad to see it go. Leon did a beautiful job on it. However I will NOT be sad to not want to wear my ring for fear of damaging it, or to not have to look down anymore and see missing melee, etc. The craftsmanship was wonderful, but sadly I just chose a style that was not compatible with my lifestyle. I'm not sure what I will choose next. If I could give up the pave that would probably be the best avenue, but I do love the sparkle. I think I would miss that.

At the moment I am in the middle of upgrading my center stone to an OEC. Once I figure that out, I'll turn to the setting. (Assuming there is any budget left over for something other than a temp setting!) I'm debating whether to ditch the halo. :o It's a bit of a scary thought!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have often admired your ring but it does look sad right now. Very broken and dirty :(

I have numerous rings with a 1.5 mm band but only one sided pave. I wear daily but take them off as soon as I get home and never wear them to sleep. I also wear them with a pave wedding band so there is rub. I have no issues at all.

Suggest you I with single sided pave! You can give Leon another shot or try Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera all of whom have lots of rave reviews on here. Steven's pave is near identical to Leon. My current ring is from Steven and it even held up for 3 holes of golf (forgot to take it off).

CVB is another option. She has unique designs. I have a pretty crazy ring from her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results