shape
carat
color
clarity

cheap airline tickets

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandma really wants to go home (South Dakota) to be with her sister who just lost her husband of over 50 years. My aunt would be flying with her. Grandma and her sisters are all 70+ years old and starting to have health issues too. I really think this may be the last time they can all get together. Would love to see this happen for them.

Money is a big issue. In order to go, they need to find cheap tickets.

So... does anyone know about any of the cheap sites that show up near the bottom of Expedia? Lowfares.com or save70.com or smartfares.com or kayak.com
I keep seeing stuff that says to avoid and other stuff that says great bargain.

I am seeing some lower options there. Really don't want to suggest it if it will lead to more issues.

(If it helps, would be flying out of Seattle heading to Sioux Falls. No hotel or car needed.)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I use kayak.com all the time to search for low fares, it's just as reputable as Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz/what have you.

Personally, I just use those sites to *find* the lowest fares and then I go directly to the airline's website to book. Makes it easier to choose seats later and make changes if necessary.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually fly southwest - a habit formed when I flew SW regularly for work. They have fare sales about every other week, which gives you lower prices for travel at least two weeks out. (unfortunately, the most recent fare sale ended yesterday.) One of the nice things about SW is that if you need to cancel your trip for any reason, the value of your ticket remains "on account" for any other flight for another year. I think Omaha Neb. is the SW airport nearest Sioux Falls.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1441382275|3923589 said:
I use kayak.com all the time to search for low fares, it's just as reputable as Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz/what have you.

Personally, I just use those sites to *find* the lowest fares and then I go directly to the airline's website to book. Makes it easier to choose seats later and make changes if necessary.
Ditto - I think that it's easier to make changes when you book directly from the airline. I only book from Priceline if they're showing a cheaper fare than what the airline offers.

You usually need to check Southwest's site directly since SWA doesn't publish their fares to those airfare aggregators. I have no idea if SWA flies to Sioux Falls anyway.

You can also call the airlines directly and see if they offer any bereavement fares. Airlines generally offer a discount off the lowest price for last min travel in the case of a death, but I don't know if they have requirements around who qualifies (does a BIL qualify)? Doesn't hurt to ask. You might need to provide some proof of death too.

There is also this app called Hopper that will advise you on when is the best time to book. This may not be useful to you since I'm assuming that your relatives are traveling soon.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I recommend booking directly with the airline 99% of the time. If you book through any discounter site, it's a giant PITA to access your reservation. "Discounted" sites are generally not very discounted, anyway, one you add in the fees.

It looks like airlines servicing SF are Frontier, Allegiant, Delta, United, and American. Allegiant doesn't fly out of Seattle, though, so that's out.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
star sparkle said:

+1. Kayak is great

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the suggestions!

I'm watching the sites and passed on to my aunt so she can look too.

If DH gets the job he just interviewed for, I am going to talk to him and see if we can send them. Grandma has done so much for all of us that I would love to give this to her. I have the feeling it won't happen otherwise and that would be sad. She wants so little and gives so much.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also try skiplagged.com - it finds flights that have a connection/stop over in the city of your choice. So you would just get off the plane and not go the last leg. Can be much cheaper.

Most airlines will give bereavement discounts if going to a funeral. Though not a lot, it can still help.

You can also use kayak to find the cheapest time to fly: http://www.kayak.com/explore/ type in where you are, and click where you're going.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results