carat
color
clarity

Just totally blown my budget on this diamond

craiguk

Rough_Rock
Boo247|1436425678|3900735 said:
Hullo - another UK poster here!

I just wanted to say that before my FI found an amazing antique diamond here in the UK we were going to NYC in Oct to pick up whatever diamond and ring he would have ordered in the states.

He's done research for months and it worked out cheaper for us to go to America on a holiday than import to the UK. He'd even arranged a night out of New York State to avoid the state sales tax. He did the sums and what we'd save on a £8,000 diamond paid for the holiday. We now have the ring but are going anyway and buying our wedding bands together as platinum is a lot cheaper than in the UK. Maybe worth you looking in to it but it might be easier just to ship.

And regarding the platinum setting - we've looked at hundreds of rings of all colours and I'd definitely go platinum for your H diamond - if that's what your lady would like. It will look great. Some say the whiteness of the platinum helps the diamond colour. It's going to be amazing. Good job!

Appreciate this was some time ago but I'm not sure it's a great idea admitting to customs / duty evasion openly.

DanHart

Rough_Rock
I can't speak for the other poster, but I actually ended up paying the customs charges. It ended up being so much cheaper buying the ring from a US online retailer, that my budget allowed for it and I thought it was better safe than sorry. Also my work paid for me to go to DC in the end, so the trip was free :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Dan - this is awesome!

Please do start a new thread! Slide on over to the Show Me The Bling forum and post there. You might also want to include a link to this thread, so people can read your back story.

Well done and great job! I'm sure she's thrilled! Looking forward to pictures. :)

craiguk

Rough_Rock
DanHart|1441222459|3922752 said:
I can't speak for the other poster, but I actually ended up paying the customs charges. It ended up being so much cheaper buying the ring from a US online retailer, that my budget allowed for it and I thought it was better safe than sorry. Also my work paid for me to go to DC in the end, so the trip was free :)

I should have said congrats but I hadn't got that far down the thread...congrats though. Looking forward to seeing the results. Also confirms my US vs UK value for money thoughts.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning diamond!

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!! I am so happy that the Bishops Garden worked for you. It is a wonderful setting for such a special event. As others have mentioned, we would love to see photos. Thanks so much for coming back for the update!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Thank you for the update. Well done! :clap:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! The diamond and setting look wonderful and the story to go with the ring and proposal are very memorable! :appl:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Wheres the ring pictures :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results