shape
carat
color
clarity

Golden South Sea Pearls – September Sale at PP

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
Kay,4RG, and Flygirl, those are some seriously beautiful GSS. More neckshots please.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Bailey1856|1441205150|3922624 said:
Kay,4RG, and Flygirl, those are some seriously beautiful GSS. More neckshots please.

+1 :love: :love: Can't wait to see your photos! :love: :love:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel said:
Easy for me to resist this sale. Although I love yellow gold jewelry- for some reason when I try on Golden South Sea Pearls they turn me a very unflattering color :roll:

But beautiful strands you all are buying!!! I really wish I could wear them!

cmd2014|1441166753|3922483 said:
All of the baroque strands look really round and clean in terms of blemishes. It seems like a real opportunity for those who love GSS. For me, because I truly do NOT suit gold toned jewelry (including yellow gold), I have to admit that I am missing the Connoisseur sale a tiny bit. It had a little something for everyone.

Ladies, if you are in the U.S. you can consider getting a strand to try. You never know, certain shades could work for you. Maybe this guide will be useful? http://www.jewellerynetasia.com/en-us/editorial/Blogs/555/6145/selling-golden-south-sea-pearls-a-color-companion

The strands I like, I can't afford. Lol. Anyway I really should save up for a WSSP strand first.

Kay, 4RG, Fly Girl: great choices! Pls post more pics! Are you ladies getting matching earrings as well? Otherwise it could be hard to match to your strands if you decide to buy earrings later? Or too matchy matchy for you?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I got one yesterday too. 9-11.6mm 4ranchgirl's photos sent me over the edge. I already had dark golden earrings.

5271.jpg

5271_2_.jpg

_33883.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so interesting seeing the glamour shots vs the real life shots. Tahitians to me are often darker IRL than in the glamour shots; these seem lighter and less gold (this is not a criticism at all...I think they are much prettier IRL than they look in the website pictures). It's the same with the Chinese freshwaters. They also tend to seem darker in pictures than IRL. Weird.

Edit: I'm with you Fly Girl. I am too fair and have too much pink in my skin for the coloured freshwater pearls. They are gorgeous but they disappear on me. I'm much better with white or with dark bodied pearls. Sadly, gold just looks bad on me, no matter how beautiful I think you all look in your GSS pearl jewelry.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
4RG selected another strand which I own already. It matches my hair color. My earrings are darker and I am hoping this strand is even darker than them. I plan to make my old strand into two bracelets.

goldenset3.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1441207828|3922636 said:
I got one yesterday too. 9-11.6mm 4ranchgirl's photos sent me over the edge. I already had dark golden earrings.
That is the other strand that I was eyeing, but you had already gotten it. Very, very nice, and looking forward to seeing it in person next year.

Judging by the 14kt gold setting on your golden earrings, which is quite a bit lighter than the pearls, I expect that this strand will be very close in tone.

I already own a golden ring with green overtones, and golden stud earrings with red overtones. Love them both, but I think I'm a bit more partial to the green, so the strand that I got should work out well. :))

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
CMD, The descriptions tell you what color the pearls match in gold terms. Kay and 4ranchgirls are 24K, mine is 22K.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl, I have a red overtone pendant and a green overtone ring, I hope the red overtone on the necklace is visible.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Kay ... What about the round diamond studded clasp like on your WSS necklace :) ?

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I'm also going to find the Golden SS pearls easy to resist. While they look beautiful, I have yellow toned white skin, and yellow gems just disappear on me. Blues and purples really pop against my skin.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover, I actually thought of you when I saw photos of your strand listed for sale. The color with the rose overtones looks gorgeous and the pearls look very close to round, which I know you prefer. I knew that strand would be snapped up by one of our pearl queens. (I had a brief fantasy of buying it myself to make a truly amazing long tin cup necklace.) I look forward to seeing pictures of it on you. Your GSS earrings with the Blossom settings are beautiful. That is one of the few examples of GSS pearls and yellow gold settings with no diamonds that I like -- the organic setting and the shape of the pearls just makes it work.

Icy Jade, I have Chenai looking for 24k loose drop pearls to make earrings. Fingers crossed she can find a good match.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Kay, 4ranchgirl showed me the photos of the pearls you were considering at lunch, they are terrific! Yesterday she told me it was time for the Sept sale and did I see what was up on the site. I was hooked and had to search though the list and selected the darkest almost round one I could find. This one was it. A few years ago I bought a equestrian clasp and will install it after the strand arrives next week. This will be my 41st anniversary gift from DH.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I have to drop my youngest son in LA tomorrow so I am also going to drop into Pearl Paradise and pick up my golden strand. :naughty: I will be on cloud 9 about 10am.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Have fun 4RanchGirl!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1441225064|3922780 said:
I have to drop my youngest son in LA tomorrow so I am also going to drop into Pearl Paradise and pick up my golden strand. :naughty: I will be on cloud 9 about 10am.
Grinning here for you! :bigsmile:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover, that's a lovely new dark GSSP strand. Neck shots when you get it, please? :love:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Merely curious, but for the ladies who don't feel that gSS flatter their skin tones, do you wear yellow gold jewelry?

I have a few gSS pearls (pendant, earrings), but I rarely wear them, feeling they aren't the 'best' for me, but I do like yellow gold jewelry. And citrines.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, gold jewelry doesn't suit me either. I wear white gold or platinum almost exclusively. My wedding set is platinum; everything else that I have bought for myself or DH has bought me is white gold.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few shots of my golden SS pendant and ring with green overtones, both purchased from IndoSea Pearls on etsy. My stud earring pearls were purchased from Pearl Lunar on eBay and were described as 24 kt in color with rich overtones.

I'm sure that under the right lighting conditions we will be able to see the overtones in our new golden South Sea necklaces.

golden_pair_4831.jpg

goldenpair_0.jpg

2013-01-09_11-38-45_478.jpg

golden_0.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1441241911|3922908 said:
Merely curious, but for the ladies who don't feel that gSS flatter their skin tones, do you wear yellow gold jewelry?

I have a few gSS pearls (pendant, earrings), but I rarely wear them, feeling they aren't the 'best' for me, but I do like yellow gold jewelry. And citrines.

Actually I never liked GSSP (as I don't wear yellow gold) until I went to Manila and tried on GSSP at Jewelmer. After that visit, I think I can take GSSP in small doses, but only if they have a rich color. The ones with overtones are so so gorgeous, they are really hard to resist if you see them IRL...

Oh, do set them in white gold tho. :)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1441249058|3922941 said:

I took my golden pearl with the strong green overtones to my jeweler and we laid it on a variety and metals and finishes. I ended up setting it on brushed palladium. The soft grays of that metal made that pearl sing.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1441249318|3922943 said:
icy_jade|1441249058|3922941 said:

I took my golden pearl with the strong green overtones to my jeweler and we laid it on a variety and metals and finishes. I ended up setting it on brushed palladium. The soft grays of that metal made that pearl sing.

Fly Girl: and GSSPs with diamonds (against whatever metal) always looks good... :)

Gosh, I'm really tempted to get some studs but I think it's better if I look for them locally so that I can match to what I already have. Can't stop looking at the strands tho. Can't wait for my local fair next month!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
The white and gold strands are really stunning....Gorgeous purchase everyone and please post more photos!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
ennui:

Yes, I wear gold jewelry, but it's as a backdrop to the gems. I never wear a piece that's just solid gold. The jewelry has diamonds or amethysts or tourmalines or sapphires as the focal point. The gold blends with my skin and makes the gems pop.

For an anniversary, I decided I wanted a yellow diamond, but every one I tried on, just disappeared on my hand.
Then my jeweler brought out a blue diamond, and it really popped on my hand. I've been into blue diamonds ever since.

This year I discovered natural blue baroque pearls, and I know Madamas are going to be in my future. The blue pearls look amazing with my blue moonstone rings and earrings. They have the same color and glow.

I'm sure I would drool over the golden SS pearls that I see on you lovely ladies, but they just wouldn't have the same wow factor if I wore them.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1441225064|3922780 said:

I am picturing you wearing it right now, and am just waiting to see the selfies.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1441222776|3922756 said:
Kay, 4ranchgirl showed me the photos of the pearls you were considering at lunch, they are terrific! Yesterday she told me it was time for the Sept sale and did I see what was up on the site. I was hooked and had to search though the list and selected the darkest almost round one I could find. This one was it. A few years ago I bought a equestrian clasp and will install it after the strand arrives next week. This will be my 41st anniversary gift from DH.

What a fabulous anniversary gift! Congrats on 41 years! :clap:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl, it is wonderful to see your collection of goldies. The brushed palladium ring band really does make that pearl pop.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Here is a little more eye candy.

The three 24k gold strands: 4RG's on left, mine in the center, and the recently sold #12 on the right. (OK, who bought #12?)

I flirted heavily with the idea of buying #12 too to make a double strand, but someone saved me from myself. Of course, I really wanted to buy all 3 and make a long golden rope like Amy Adams'.

I hope 4RG doesn't mind me posting this to show what the 24k gold pearls look like next to brushed and polished 14k ball clasps.

gdn-24k.jpg

amy_adams.jpg

img_9169.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Tucs: The equestrian clasp is listed as 29mm long. My Orbit clasp and the diamond clasp on my WSS necklace are 31mm (1-1/4” distance between the 2 end pearls), and they add about ½” more than a standard ball clasp (which is ¾” between the 2 end pearls once you add in the jump rings, etc.). So, it is a lot of expense to gain ½”.

CRDKeshi: I am considering using the same diamond circle clasp that is on my WSS necklace. Since I already have the circle part, it would be $400 to buy another pair of diamond fold-over clasps for the ends of the strand. I could also just buy brushed gold (white or yellow) fold-over clasp parts without diamonds – not sure of the price of those yet. It would be a beautiful clasp for when I want to wear the strand at 18.5”, but to achieve the 20-21” length I prefer most of the time, I would still need a longer extender piece for the fold-over clasp parts to latch onto instead of the diamond circle.

This shows the relative sizes of the diamond circle clasp, Orbit clasp and standard ball clasp. (Sorry for the bad lighting.)

img_20150902_123104_668.jpg

img_20150902_123113_289.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results