shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I pay a fair price? Green diamond ?

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
Bought this before I found the site -- and a ring is currently being made for it... so did I do good or really bad?!?

I bought a Natural green diamond SI1 ( color treated) 1.11 ct for $5200 ?

I am thinking that is on the high side?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
So, your green diamond is treated?
I just did a basic Google search and found a 1.21 carat, SI1, green (treated) for $1942 and a 2.54 carat SI1, green (treated) for $5466.10...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a return period?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Not a good deal hope you can send it back

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
can't send it back. The seller is a long time family friend. It just hurts that it was that far out over priced

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
How good of a family "friend" can they be if they scammed you with a sale???? There's no way I'd pay that price for that treated stone...

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
rimjaja|1441111047|3922043 said:
can't send it back. The seller is a long time family friend. It just hurts that it was that far out over priced

I'm sorry this happened to you. If they are truly a long time family friend then you should be able to at least discuss your concerns with them. They will surely want repeat business from your family?

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
I will speak to her about it for sure. It is a vivid green (not sure if that matters) ... ugh! How many times do you see someone writing that they wish they had of found pricescope earlier!?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The fact that it's a vivid green, which is not surprising since it's treated, still doesn't make much difference I wouldn't think. I hope that you can work something out.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rimjaja|1441129685|3922196 said:
I will speak to her about it for sure. It is a vivid green (not sure if that matters) ... ugh! How many times do you see someone writing that they wish they had of found pricescope earlier!?

We sadly see it often. I wish everyone came here first!

I agree, though. If this person is your family friend, tell them you feel like you are uncertain about the green diamond and need to give it more thought and need to return it now. I think they have done you no favors, and we see this all too often that people think they will be safe dealing with family friends but they seem to often overpay! There are different qualities of irradiated diamonds. It could be that this is a nice one. But still, wouldn't you rather have a more natural gemstone such as a sapphire instead of an irradiated diamond?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
rimjaja|1441129685|3922196 said:

I think a lot of people wish they had found PS prior to major purchases so don't be too hard on yourself. :doh: Talk to your family friend about your concerns and go from there. Please let us know how it works out. Sending you dust for a good outcome. :wavey:

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
rimjaja said:
Bought this before I found the site -- and a ring is currently being made for it... so did I do good or really bad?!?

Vivid fancy diamonds are very expensive! Until we have seen how the green looks it is difficult to put a price on it. For example a fancy colour can cost more than a colourless stone. Don't necessarily fret that you have been "ripped" off. None of the stones recommended in this thread have that deep green colour.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
rimjaja|1441111047|3922043 said:

wow never buy from friends of family they have no loyalty to you I would call them out and ask them how that price stacks up

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
decisively_unsure|1441181497|3922522 said:
rimjaja said:

Vivid fancy diamonds are very expensive! Until we have seen how the green looks it is difficult to put a price on it. For example a fancy colour can cost more than a colourless stone. Don't necessarily fret that you have been "ripped" off. None of the stones recommended in this thread have that deep green colour.

Yes, vivid fancy diamonds are very expensive, but this green diamond is treated. As Mayk posted above, the OP could have purchased a nice green diamond (untreated) from a very reputable seller (DBL) for about the same price as what OP paid for their treated stone. Treated stones are not as desirable (in general) and they are worth less (again, in general). Their colors are often obvious (deep, bright, bold colors) and that quality doesn't necessarily make them any more valuable (like it does in untreated stones) - for example, a bright, fancy untreated yellow would generally fetch a higher price than a faint untreated yellow (same specs), but I don't believe that it works that way with treated stones in that bolder/brighter/deeper treated colors fetch a higher price. I adore untreated colored diamonds, but typically don't care for the colors that a treatment can produce in a stone.
Since none of us have seen OPs stone, we have no way of knowing if it was a good deal. However, based on the limited amount of information that we've been given, it would seem as though OP paid too much for a treated stone.

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
I don't have the diamond in hand. The seller still has it as they are supposed to be designing me a ring to go with it. I asked another local jeweler to get me a price quote from suppliers based on what my receipt says- so I have something to go back and show them.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
rimjaja|1441324139|3923366 said:
I don't have the diamond in hand. The seller still has it as they are supposed to be designing me a ring to go with it. I asked another local jeweler to get me a price quote from suppliers based on what my receipt says- so I have something to go back and show them.

Did you already pay for this? I am wondering if you could cancel the sale with check or credit card. I would try to deal with them nicely first, but if that doesn't work, it may be worth a credit card dispute or cancel check charge.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Don't think a credit card company can do anything here. Credit card companies are not responsible if you buy something expensive. As it looks all information about the treatment has been disclosed from the start. Investigation about what a fair price is a buyer's responsibility.

Best thing here is to return the diamond and ask them to source an untreated diamond for you. They might just not agree for cancelled sale because of they disclosed everything in full and it's not a sight unseen purchase as it is online.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gr8leo87|1441380826|3923576 said:
Don't think a credit card company can do anything here. Credit card companies are not responsible if you buy something expensive. As it looks all information about the treatment has been disclosed from the start. Investigation about what a fair price is a buyer's responsibility.

+1.

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
What bothers me the most is the idea of a long time friend taking advantage

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rimjaja|1441494705|3924093 said:
I said it many times here on PS...Rule #1 "never to buy diamonds from a friend, a friend of a friend, a friend's uncle who is in the diamond business"

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Wondering if there were any updates? :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1441497661|3924107 said:
rimjaja|1441494705|3924093 said:
I said it many times here on PS...Rule #1 "never to buy diamonds from a friend, a friend of a friend, a friend's uncle who is in the diamond business"

+1 we see this over and over again here, and it almost always ends in tears....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this clarification belongs in every thread about fancy colored diamonds.
Just calling an FCD 'natural' is a red flag.

TWO things can be natural, or not:
1. The stone itself may be mined from the earth or grown in a lab.
2. The source of the color itself can be either natural processes in the earth or treatment in a lab.

Unfortunately some sellers sell mined (but color-treated) FCDs and call them 'natural'.
They could argue it IS natural since it was mined, not lab-grown.
Well, yes the diamond WAS from the earth, but not mentioning that the color is the result of treatment is unethical IMO.

A 1.1 ct Fancy Vivid Green diamond that was mined from the earth and got its color from the earth would not cost anything near $5,000 ...
It would definitely be priced in the hundreds of thousands.

OH, and you want to buy only FCDs graded by GIA!
They have the latest technology to spot new treatments.
This is especially important with Greens, since the source of the color is radiation.
Determining whether radiation exposure took place in the earth or in a lab is very difficult and zillions of bucks are at stake.
GIA is the only lab I'd trust to verify the source of the green is nature before writing that massive check.

Lastly, there is nothing 'wrong' with treated FCDs.
They cost a tiny fraction of fully-natural.
Was $5,200 a fair price for this treated green? I have no idea. You'd have to do your homework.
They can look gorgeous and of course have all the optical properties of untreated diamond material.
What IS wrong is a seller conveniently not mentioning the color treatment, leading a buyer to believe they have a fully-natural FCD.

The seller's motivation is obvious, many people want diamonds that only Oprah and Liz Taylor could afford.
They might argue, "What's the harm in a little innocent deception if the buyers are happy. After all, ignorance is bliss."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results