shape
carat
color
clarity

Vote on a Setting!

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
I need some advice, what does everyone like more?

Blue Nile Studio Petite French Pavé Crown Diamond Engagement Ring - Platinum
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/blue-nile-studio-petite-pave-crown-platinum-engagement-ring_50572?track=SimilarSettings&elem=img

Eloise 7.5mm Size 14kt White Gold Cathedral Engagement Ring - White Gold, could be platinum as well (for more $$)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/187861593/eloise-75mm-size-14kt-white-gold-round?ref=shop_home_active_1&ga_search_query=round%2Bsolitaire&campaign_label=convo_notifications&utm_source=transactional&utm_campaign=convo_notifications_010170_10683759063_0_0&utm_m

She wears size 8 and likes "flashy." Please also let me know if you think the diamond below would be a good fit

The Diamond:
1.2 CT
Round
Color H
Clarity VVS2
Depth 61.8%
Table 58%
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 40.8%
Holloway Cut Advisor: 1.8
Medium Fluorescence

Any thoughts??

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, when I see these I don't think "flashy" she didn't want a halo or double halo?

Also I wish the table of the diamond was smaller

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'll have to go with the Blue Nile ring because I couldn't get the other photos to display larger than thumbnails. :D

If you want a thin shank, but "flashy," I would find something with a split shank. But not a halo.

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Let me also point out that she picked out 2 of these as being some of her favorites!

I was told to avoid the halo because it's such a high quality diamond that you want it to show

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did she specifically say no halo? If she likes flashy, I think of a split shank halo as well.

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
There was a halo or two that she liked, I am picking from a few that she specifically picked out. She did not pick out any shank ones

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe "flashy" is just the term she uses to mean "pave" (i.e., maybe she didn't really mean "flashy" in the sense of "ostentatious"). She picked those two as favorites, and presumably she would have come across some split shank options while browsing.

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the responses so far!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rustychipmunk|1441157608|3922447 said:
Thanks all for the responses so far!

If its really between these two I'd say blue Nile as I don't know the other vendor and their setting does nothing for me.

We're not nay saying your setting choices, Wed just like to know why if she is concerned about finger coverage (I assume she is sense you mention her finger size) and wants flashy you decided these thin shank rings. Both, in my option, are a bit too thin for everyday wear for anyone, and probably too thin for a woman with size 8 fingers.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would call these settings classic, not flashy. But they will have sparkle! I prefer the one from Blue Nile.

Like Niel said check to be sure the shank on that ring is wide enough for everyday wear. If it's too thin it might bend easily and then the pave might pop out. Blue Nile may steer you toward a ring with a thicker shank.

Good luck and have fun with your search!

ETA: With diamonds you need to go by mm size not by weight to figure out the finger coverage! I don't see that posted for the stone you've picked out.

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
One of her criteria was that she wanted a thin band--her call, not mine!

Like I said, she specially chose these--so the style is already what she likes. I probably should have just left out the flashy part haha

The diamond measurements are:

6.76 - 6.80 x 4.19 mm

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I'd pick the 2nd one because I don't like the melees on the BN one.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi rusty chipmunck,
I think it’s great you and your girlfriend are working together on an engagement ring she will love.
From the two options I too like the Blue Nile Studio Petite French Pavé.

Diamond wise I would bump the clarity down to a VS2(it would very most likely be eye clean) and then bump up both the CT weight and diamond measurements.
You have to be sure that the fluorescence doesn’t make the stone look oily or milky

I have hard time searching blue nile but often a well cut stone might have a:
depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57% (can go up to 58 )
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

For me . . .a 2mm pave band would still look very delicate and thin on a size 8 finger

Also with blue nile I think if you search around the web you might be able to find a discount code or coupon.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither.

Both of those rings are too thin in the shank. Look for a minimum of 1.8mm which is still VERY thin, but honestly, on a size 8 finger, I think you need at least 2mm (which is also really thin). Those super thin ones can very likely go out of round because they are weakened by the holes in the shank for the stones, and just by grasping something like a door handle, it could happen. I honestly do not know why they sell them. So please start over. Where are you buying the diamond? It is best to buy both from the same place.

This one is 1.9mm, which is really as thin as I'd go:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/platinum-0.30ct-common-prong-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-1982

Better, and still thin at 2.2mm:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/platinum-0.54ct-common-prong-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-139

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rustychipmunk|1441159506|3922457 said:
One of her criteria was that she wanted a thin band--her call, not mine!

Like I said, she specially chose these--so the style is already what she likes. I probably should have just left out the flashy part haha

The diamond measurements are:

6.76 - 6.80 x 4.19 mm

Sorry, you said she choose those specifically? Sorry I didnt see that anywhere here which is why I brought it up. If she's tried rings like this on and is fine with how the thinness might look on a finger her size then great! I still have the same durability concerns ds does but if she's aware of those and doesnt care then she's at least going in aware

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
All--

Thanks for the replies and the advice on the thin band! I did not realize that it would be a risky thing to go so thin, so I am talking to her about possible other options.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither...both too thin. I would shoot for 2mm or more especially with a bigger stone.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with the Blue Nile one. Their melee (little side diamonds) are reliably the standard they say they are, and H VS2 would be a very nice match with your center stone. People are often very 'creative' with their melee grading, and a G SI1 could be a J !2 without a second thought for some vendors. Not saying that *is* the case - but I would want to know for sure, whereas with BN, I feel a degree of certainty that H VS2 is what you'll get. However....

Halos tend to highlight and enhance center stones, and with a size 8 finger I'd be wanting a single halo and would be considering a double halo. I think what she's chosen is classic and understated. If she wants to look at a double halo, take her to Tiffany. If you're going to look at them, DON'T go to a mall store. Most of the chains (Kays, Zales, Jareds etc) use melee which is junk, and they're badly set (lots of clunky metal, little artistry), and it would turn anyone off. Tiffany does a lovely double halo, so worth looking at if you want to get an idea. I would rarely recommend buying from Tiffany, but they're a good place to start for inspiration.

If she decides she'd like to go with a more substantial setting, come back and people here will point you in the right direction.

Perhaps she meant 'flashy' in the quality of the center stone? As in - beautifully cut, rather than something cheaper, but more poorly cut?

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
The blue nile ring for sure!

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the suggestions! She did find one that was 1.8MM on bluenile, so that may be a bit more durable than 1.6

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rustychipmunk|1441231841|3922835 said:
Thanks all for the suggestions! She did find one that was 1.8MM on bluenile, so that may be a bit more durable than 1.6

Excellent! Tell her still to handle with care because pave bands are delicate, but this is much safer than the thinnest ones!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rustychipmunk|1441231841|3922835 said:
Can you buy the stone from them too?

Did you sign up to get the "reffer a friend" $100 off?

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
I did not know there was a refer a friend discount. However, i can get 4% off using my chase credit card---it says I can't use that with any other discounts, so I'm not sure I could do both

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rustychipmunk|1441234806|3922849 said:
I did not know there was a refer a friend discount. However, i can get 4% off using my chase credit card---it says I can't use that with any other discounts, so I'm not sure I could do both
That makes sense. Are you getting the stone there?

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Yep, I will be getting both the stone and the diamond from Blue Nile

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results