shape
carat
color
clarity

My new custom halo ring by DK -- question though

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

My custom halo ring was made by DK but i have a question. I noticed the shank is uniformed all around at 1.8mm including the bottom part of shank without diamonds. I have noticed that other peoples rings get thinner towards the plain rear shank area. Should I have DK slim it down a bit? I couldn't really pick it up in photos but it's a lot more noticeable in person. I guess also because i imagined the shank to be more rounded? rather than look like the edges are angled. But i am very happy overall and am not being picky. It just appeared funny looking when i took off my ring so just confirming. :angel:

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much again!

halo_12.jpg

halo_13.jpg

halo_14.jpg

halo_15.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.8mm is already really thin - I certainly wouldn't go any thinner, as it becomes a stability issue - I'd hate for it to go out of round or lose stones.

You're talking about the bottom of the shank where no one sees it but you, right? :)

I'd leave it alone - as long as it is comfortable and the angles don't bother you while wearing it, I'd just enjoy it - it's beautiful!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring! It looks beautiful and well balanced. I would certainly not have it slimmed down as the shank is already delicate.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring :love: and I agree with the others. 1.8mm is very thin and I would not want to go any thinner for stability issues.

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
ahh! that makes sense, probably why he made it uniform all around! OK i understand now. I thought it was normal for the band to slightly taper off slimmer towards the bottom. :)

Great, thank you for the replies. :angel:

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Is it comfortable to wear? I have a ring that is similarly shaped and it is terribly uncomfortable to me. It is gorgeous!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out spectacular! Do you have it in hand yet?

When you do, be sure to post it in SMTB. We require hand shots! :naughty: :bigsmile:

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
unsettled|1441145656|3922332 said:
Is it comfortable to wear? I have a ring that is similarly shaped and it is terribly uncomfortable to me. It is gorgeous!

It's not too bad but I can slightly feel the edges.. I guess that's initially why i started comparing other rings to mine. The first setting I had was more rounded and i didn't know there were different types of shanks... LOL
So it's my fault for not knowing/checking but it's not too bad.. =)

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
I do! I picked it up on Friday & got to meet Amy & DK in person. :)
It came out a lot nicer than I imagined. :appl:
I'll definitely do that! Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are talking about the inside (bottom) edges that touch your finger, ask DK if he can soften those edges for you. Your ring is beautiful!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I agree have the edges softened if it bothers you now when you have had it such a short time in a few weeks it could be worse

Nothing worse than an uncomfortable ring and even worse an expensive one that stays in the jewelry armoire

Beautiful ring :appl:

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
michelles85|1441147195|3922342 said:
unsettled|1441145656|3922332 said:

It's not too bad but I can slightly feel the edges.. I guess that's initially why i started comparing other rings to mine. The first setting I had was more rounded and i didn't know there were different types of shanks... LOL
So it's my fault for not knowing/checking but it's not too bad.. =)

I did not know there was a difference either. Mine is currently at the jeweler's to try and get the edges softened a bit. It sure is gorgeous and would be such a shame to not be worn because of discomfort!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
michelles85|1441143900|3922317 said:
ahh! that makes sense, probably why he made it uniform all around! OK i understand now. I thought it was normal for the band to slightly taper off slimmer towards the bottom. :)

Great, thank you for the replies. :angel:

Nope, not the norm to taper (although, some do) and yes, I agree with the others that at 1.8mm, I wouldn't go any thinner.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! I think I'd have DK smooth it out a bit…you say it's not that bad, but really you shouldn't be feeling even a slight discomfort.

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
HI All, great,thank you all for confirming & providing input! :)
It's not too sharp/bad so I've asked DK to soften for me when making my wedding bands. He agreed to do that so I'll wear for now and have DK soften edges for me then. Didn't even know he can soften edges. HAHA
Learning lots here. =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Glad you asked!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results