shape
carat
color
clarity

What would PS do? Precision tourmalines: which to set, how?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
So, I got a couple of pretty precision-cut very-light-tinted tourmalines a while ago! Help me choose which to set? Just like all CS I imagine that I'm going to set them all someday (and literally have never set a colored stone, though I have accumulated a few just sitting there loose and hopeful!) but I'm actually excited about setting these. I can only start with one, though!

Top stone is a cool-pink 7.8mm brilliant cut round, bottom is a mint-green 7.1mm step-cut octagon. Both are very light, and hopefully the tilt window picture helps you see that!

img_3263.jpg

img_3258.jpg

The pink one DEFINITELY looks best in white metal, and the mint one I'd set in rose gold. Here are the eBay settings I've picked out for them!

Pink in this one:
jewelryhoo2_top.jpg
jewelryhoo2_side.jpg

And mint in this one (to emphasize its octagonalness):
el_jewelry_top.jpg
el_jewelry_side.jpg

They're both inexpensive settings from reasonable (read: a little risky but acceptably so for the price) China-based eBay sellers.

Do you think there will be any issue with the angular prongs for the pink? Any red flags for either? Which combination would you want to see? I've stewed and stared and pondered and really can't come any closer to wanting them BOTH but budget demands I wait for one of 'em. :D

With the other? We'll have to see, but part of me wants to wait until I can send the "loser" to Sally at HoW for her to work her magic... if the stone got lost in transit it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I have long admired her work.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What would PS do? Precision tourmalines: which to set, h

I'm one who prefers the contact of diamonds with her stones so my vote is the round, however, I wish there was something to be done with them both together because I think their colors play off each other so well. The fact that they are both pastel makes one help the other stand out. Id love to see HoW make something like a stack or a pendant from them or something

I'm not much help lol.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Hahaha, Niel, you boat-rocker. :D I don't think I could handle stackers because I"m completely a klutz with my hands and in order to stack you can't coat the stones with metal firmly affixed to metal surrounded with more metal... everything I own is bezeled or cathedral'd or both and I just can't figure out how to make that work with an 8mm stone! Maybe a super blingy DBTY-style bezel necklace? (I don't wear pendants for some reason... own lots, wear 'em never.) Problem is I just don't have a lot of pastel stones besides these two. But your vote for the pink is duly tabulated -- thanks! :wavey:

arabella

Shiny_Rock

I'm going to have to vote for the pink, just because i like that setting more... but i love that pastel mint color too!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I too vote for the pink round one to be set first.

As for the setting for the green one, I personally am not keen on the position of the prongs, and prefer them to be offset at 45 deg, as in NE, SE, SW and NW; rather than NESW, so that the prongs sit in the corner of the Asscher.

DK :))

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Pink definitely wins it - unanimous! :) :appl:

And I am thrilled because Yssie just posted bluebirrrd's HoW opal ring on another thread and holycow it is spectacular :love: -- the opal's dimensions and bluebirrrd's finger size are exactly what I need for this ring and the setting is STUNNING. I'd do sterling + 18k RG bezel/wraps. I am oodles more excited about that setting for the mint octagon than the eBay RG one!!

bluebirrrd_opal_how_top.jpg
(link to bluebirrrd's original post: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-octagon-opal-ring-is-finished.176177/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-octagon-opal-ring-is-finished.176177/[/URL] )

Yahoo! Got a plan!!

arabella

Shiny_Rock

Oooh evergreen I love that setting! I don't think you'll be disappointed... I see a lot of praise for that etsy vendor around here!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

oooh I love that idea for a setting! Sally is wonderful--she is currently working on projects for me too, and I love her style :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results