shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a Ruby that looks sort of like this...

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
I was in an antique shop the other day and saw a large oval ruby ring (probably 5-8 carats) surrounded in a large halo of baguette diamonds (approx. 3-4 ctw or possibly more). It was set in 14K white gold. The whole thing looks like a flashy vintage cocktail ring. The ruby quality looked horrible...something like the picture attached, but a polished version. Basically, there were lots of veins, the color was milky pink and you can't see through the stone, along with a couple of white-ish streaks. If it is untreated and unheated, would the center stone be considered really cheap given the poor quality or would it be valuable given the size (especially if it's untreated/unheated)?

If it is cheap, why would someone set it in what appears to be an expensive setting?

They quoted me a price of $3200 for the ring. It does not come with any certification or appraisal. The guy said it's been in the shop for a long time so he was dropping the original price of $5k+ in hopes of just selling it. I am considering purchasing it, but am a little wary. I plan to go back this weekend and try to get some pictures.

Any thoughts? :think: :think: :think:

montepuez-rubies-photograph-by-vincent-pardieu-image-fieldgemology.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bulk of the price is in the setting. There is not much value in an opaque ruby with visible birthmarks, no matter the size.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My question to you based on your description, with such adjectives as "horrible," why would you want to get it?

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1440022387|3916517 said:
My question to you based on your description, with such adjectives as "horrible," why would you want to get it?

I was thinking that maybe I could replace the center stone at some point with a better quality ruby. The setting looks very pretty and the diamonds appear to be decent enough. They weren't cloudy and I couldn't see many inclusions.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're really contemplating something like what you've just described why not look a bit more first? You could ask some questions about some of the stones currently available such as the 1.07 ct below. You could also look into how other pricescopers have set their stones relatively cheaply in the past. The final product may not be an heirloom quality piece like you originally wanted, but it will probably cost less than 3200, and be much better quality then what you're currently contemplating.

http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=view&cat=316

34645.jpg

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
qubitasaurus|1440037452|3916601 said:
If you're really contemplating something like what you've just described why not look a bit more first? You could ask some questions about some of the stones currently available such as the 1.07 ct below. You could also look into how other pricescopers have set their stones relatively cheaply in the past. The final product may not be an heirloom quality piece like you originally wanted, but it will probably cost less than 3200, and be much better quality then what you're currently contemplating.

http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=view&cat=316

Good point!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not eaay to find a good ruby. Let alone a ruby for a particular setting!
Since you do not like the quality of this ruby, I would opt to search for a really nice one instead, like the one posted above.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
the ruby was probably LGF and a jeweler left it in pickle

that's what LGF can turn into from pickle

Rule #1 with LGF never ever put in pickle

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I would never pickle my pickle in a pickle course I don't want to be in a pickle....

A funny new word....

drruby

Shiny_Rock
You never heard of the problems with LGFF rubies and jewlers pickle?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
No, Dr Ruby!!!

Help me to learn and understand!!!! :angel:

drruby

Shiny_Rock

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I should read a pdf from GIA ???

FROM eeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiilllllllll G I A !!!!

You believe what they say??? :D :D :D :D

I think they are no experts?

drruby

Shiny_Rock
It's a great report and the GIA hates it

haha

You see GIA brass now saying LGFF is not durable and you can't work it on a bench

Yet in 2006 there was the GIA saying the opposite

POLITICS

Anyway it has the pics of an LGFF ruby after pickle

But you have to be able to read I guess

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Am I able to read??? :think:

Interesting question?? :clap:

What do you think?? :naughty:

But now I stop feeding the troll....

A bit fun but finally a waste of time....

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
After some searching, I think I'm going top opt for this center stone and create my own setting. If you have any concerns about this Ruby, please let me know so I can consider whether I'd move forward with the purchase.

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/11378

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My concern is that the ruby you are considering has a very shallow cut and only 25% brilliancy. It will lack sparkle and I fear it will look "flat" when you view it. I once bought a very shallow (non-windowed) Mahenge spinel that was quite similar in that it was cut shallow. The color was there, but to my eyes the stone looked so boring and "dead". Hopefully those with more experience will chime in and give you an expert opinion.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
LisaRN|1441566364|3924355 said:
My concern is that the ruby you are considering has a very shallow cut and only 25% brilliancy. It will lack sparkle and I fear it will look "flat" when you view it. I once bought a very shallow (non-windowed) Mahenge spinel that was quite similar in that it was cut shallow. The color was there, but to my eyes the stone looked so boring and "dead". Hopefully those with more experience will chime in and give you an expert opinion.

I asked the vendor to take more pictures as well as an on-the-hand photo. He uploaded the images to his sight. I probably won't know for sure until I have the stone in hand, but it doesn't seem to look "flat" via the pictures. I'm also very new to the world of gems so I may just not know what I'm looking at.
http://wildfishgems.com/inc/pdetaili?pid=11378

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is a very shallow and windowed ruby, where the centre will look dead. This is known as a pancake stone here on PS due to its flatness. The 33% depth is the first red flag but the pictures tell it best.

oru099-b.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Personal opinion only, the colour is dull and flat, and brown, don't like it.

_34154.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are interested in a ruby ring, why would you get a ruby ring that you do not like the look of the center stone, and you intend on replacing? I would search for the ruby first, whether it is loose or in a ugly setting, than the other way around. Way too optimistic to expect you can find the exact ruby you love and can afford to fit the setting you have bought.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PersianGemstone|1439991901|3916359 said:
I was in an antique shop the other day and saw a large oval ruby ring (probably 5-8 carats) surrounded in a large halo of baguette diamonds (approx. 3-4 ctw or possibly more). It was set in 14K white gold. The whole thing looks like a flashy vintage cocktail ring. The ruby quality looked horrible...something like the picture attached, but a polished version. Basically, there were lots of veins, the color was milky pink and you can't see through the stone, along with a couple of white-ish streaks. If it is untreated and unheated, would the center stone be considered really cheap given the poor quality or would it be valuable given the size (especially if it's untreated/unheated)?

If it is cheap, why would someone set it in what appears to be an expensive setting?

They quoted me a price of $3200 for the ring. It does not come with any certification or appraisal. The guy said it's been in the shop for a long time so he was dropping the original price of $5k+ in hopes of just selling it. I am considering purchasing it, but am a little wary. I plan to go back this weekend and try to get some pictures.

Any thoughts? :think: :think: :think:

Rubies come in all different qualities, from very low grade dyed opaque stones to high quality Burmese. Just because it's a ruby, or some purplish pink corundum (as the photo you provided shows), doesn't mean its necessarily worth a great deal. Often a vendor will put it in an expensive setting to deceive, or give the impression the stone is valuable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results