shape
carat
color
clarity

job interview -- advice & dust

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news is DH has TWO in person interviews this week and is likely to have another for a 3rd company in just a couple of weeks.

Less than great.... neither of us has interviewed in person in nearly 10 years.

We have been reading the tips online. Wear this. Show up at this time. Research company, know products, review resume, etc. He has his clothes out and ironed. His hair and beard are trimmed and neat looking. He knows the company, its products, what it is looking to do, and the tools they are using to get there. He's reviewed and prepped as best he can for any technical questions. I've practiced him on interview questions. He looked up the guy interviewing him. Getting plenty of sleep. Nice relaxed evening before. Getting up with plenty of time to be ready and have a good breakfast. Driving directions ready to go with GPS if needed. Leaving plenty of time to get to the area early then to the building just a little early and walk in just a couple of minutes early.

One thing they mention is to bring a MINIMUM of 5 paper copies of his resume along with him for the interview. Is this still done or is it all so electronic that it is best to not bring? (DH is interviewing for senior software developer positions -- the one tomorrow morning for an advanced prosthetics company and the one on Wednesday for a different team at his former employer) If it helps, the interview tomorrow is with one software developer and possibly a 2nd.
DH doesn't want to show up looking unprepared but also doesn't want to look "old" or "out of date" as the industry prefers younger people and he is just shy of 60 (doesn't look it, but clearly older than most others in the companies).

Advice and dust greatly appreciated! Any other interview tips welcome too!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd bring paper copies of the resume (though five seems like a lot to me...) just in case. What I wouldn't do is bring a briefcase - aside from looking "old school," it just means more fumbling for things. Just a nice looking portfolio or folder should do the trick.

Congrats to DH for being prepared re what the company does. He should also familiarize himself with what the unit he's interviewing for does - which may be as simple as reading the job announcement very carefully. I've interviewed people who could wax poetic about one aspect of what organization I worked for did - it was a big, sexy topic that was in the news a lot - but never picked up on the fact that the job they were interviewing for was more focused on another aspect of the mission.

I can't address the age thing because I know it is an issue in some industries. If the interviewers are smart they'll hire based on the skills he'll bring to the company and not those "young vibe" intangibles. We hired one person who was approaching his 60's and his biggest hurdle was convincing us that he's stick around and not just bolt when he'd padded his pension enough, or could access his IRA, or if some higher paying consulting job came around. He gave us a verbal 5-year commitment, which he kept.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I'd bring paper copies still-- It is nice to have in hand at interviews. Also, he should prepare to be able to write some programming on the spot (maybe look up interview programming problems ahead of time). My husband interviews at his job for software engineers and it is an all day process. Each facility will have their own process but from what I've seen at his company, they do a two tier in person interview process, an easier intro interview with the junior staff and then the more difficult programming interview with the senior staff. Are you in Cali? The company my husband works for is looking to hire on more software engineers.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck to you both!!! Sending you bucket loads of PS ***DUST*** for a successful outcome for your dh! :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dust!!

I just took one last week for a new position within my company. It was probably the first legitimate interview I ever took as the company I started off in hired me I as a temp and I've been promoted through.

Ohhhmyyygoshhh so unnerving.

Our company loves behavioral based interviews so I was given the advise that its good to get yourself a set of examples you want to touch on that will fit a number of "name time where..." Type questions.

I dont think I'll get the job I was applying to get my face out there.... But either way so much dust for you guys and I hope the advice you get here works!!

Eta: I brought paper copies but I work in an "old" industry

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Goodluck!

Probably best to bring a paper copy of the resume or two. I would also bring a notebook and pen for working out problems and writing down answers to questions he might have about the job.

They would have probably let him know if it was a technical interview, but maybe not. If they didn't ask for a sample of code (or even if they did) they might expect him to work out some code on the spot. I think this is more common in junior positions, but you never know.

Definitely no briefcase, and on the fence about suit jacket depending on the company. DH usually wears nice pants and a collared shirt to meet with new clients, so I would like think interview attire would be similar.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1441022197|3921527 said:
Goodluck!

Probably best to bring a paper copy of the resume or two. I would also bring a notebook and pen for working out problems and writing down answers to questions he might have about the job.

They would have probably let him know if it was a technical interview, but maybe not. If they didn't ask for a sample of code (or even if they did) they might expect him to work out some code on the spot. I think this is more common in junior positions, but you never know.

Definitely no briefcase, and on the fence about suit jacket depending on the company. DH usually wears nice pants and a collared shirt to meet with new clients, so I would like think interview attire would be similar.

I don't know what the attire is for that position but I always thought you should wear one level above what you normal would to the job itself, is that still the case?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1441022421|3921529 said:
Goodluck!

I don't know what the attire is for that position but I always thought you should wear one level above what you normal would to the job itself, is that still the case?

I would say you are correct. Depending on the company, programmers wear a step above pj's for work.

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock

For an interview you want to be wearing a suit minimum, tie optional, regardless of role. When I was 15 I went to a McDonald's interview in a suit and tie. It shows respect for your interviewers. Anyway my general advice is:

* Be 10 mins early. On time is "late", two minutes early isn't enough for the interviewer to note that you're "on the ball".

* Be prepared for questions such as "what are your weaknesses" - I usually answer this like "well I can get a bit too focussed on tasks sometimes, at the detriment of others, but it has also worked well for me when such concentration is required."

* The first thing anyone should do is a nice, confident, hand shake with eye contact.

* Don't stare the interviewers out, but make good eye contact... Looking away and refusing to make eye contact can be an interview killer

* Be honest - where you don't have the skills show scenarios where you display the ability to learn

* Initiative, honesty and integrity are the three universal character traits that are excellently received in any interview and any job

* Might be a bit late now, but you should always write a CV for the individual job role - a generic CV just doesn't land as many interviews

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots and lots of dust!!!

Sending lots of confidence and well wishes for a great interview and a job offer!

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock

chemgirl said:
Goodluck!

I would say you are correct. Depending on the company, programmers wear a step above pj's for work.

I'm a "media / tech" type who often wears shorts and t-shirts, hoodies, skate shoes. However, this is a perk of the job, and suicide for an interview to turn up in anything less than formal wear. It can never hurt to "dress up", but can kill an interview if you "dress down".

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1441003588|3921477 said:
I'd bring paper copies of the resume (though five seems like a lot to me...) just in case. What I wouldn't do is bring a briefcase - aside from looking "old school," it just means more fumbling for things. Just a nice looking portfolio or folder should do the trick.

Congrats to DH for being prepared re what the company does. He should also familiarize himself with what the unit he's interviewing for does - which may be as simple as reading the job announcement very carefully. I've interviewed people who could wax poetic about one aspect of what organization I worked for did - it was a big, sexy topic that was in the news a lot - but never picked up on the fact that the job they were interviewing for was more focused on another aspect of the mission.

I can't address the age thing because I know it is an issue in some industries. If the interviewers are smart they'll hire based on the skills he'll bring to the company and not those "young vibe" intangibles. We hired one person who was approaching his 60's and his biggest hurdle was convincing us that he's stick around and not just bolt when he'd padded his pension enough, or could access his IRA, or if some higher paying consulting job came around. He gave us a verbal 5-year commitment, which he kept.

Thanks VR!

Great to know about the guy at your company. I mentioned to DH so he knows to be prepared if they hint at something like that. He doesn't plan to retire for at least another 10 years or more. Just loves working on software!

ETA: Company/team is very different! DH used to work for one of the big companies and what his team did was VERY different from the big product in the commercials. This is a smaller company (under 50 employees) and he has reviewed carefully what it is they specifically need.)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1441004094|3921478 said:
I'd bring paper copies still-- It is nice to have in hand at interviews. Also, he should prepare to be able to write some programming on the spot (maybe look up interview programming problems ahead of time). My husband interviews at his job for software engineers and it is an all day process. Each facility will have their own process but from what I've seen at his company, they do a two tier in person interview process, an easier intro interview with the junior staff and then the more difficult programming interview with the senior staff. Are you in Cali? The company my husband works for is looking to hire on more software engineers.

Washington state. Seattle area.

The process is insane! He has had some 2 hour phone interviews with other companies and it is just crazy the sort of stuff they do. I think this is a little better (comparatively) as it is a smaller company. He is interviewing for a senior software developer position but being interviewed by a software developer (not senior). Should be interesting!

He did look over what they use at the company and practice some of the common technical questions so he is ready to just sit down and write code.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1441021912|3921525 said:
Dust!!

I just took one last week for a new position within my company. It was probably the first legitimate interview I ever took as the company I started off in hired me I as a temp and I've been promoted through.

Ohhhmyyygoshhh so unnerving.

Our company loves behavioral based interviews so I was given the advise that its good to get yourself a set of examples you want to touch on that will fit a number of "name time where..." Type questions.

I dont think I'll get the job I was applying to get my face out there.... But either way so much dust for you guys and I hope the advice you get here works!!

Eta: I brought paper copies but I work in an "old" industry

Thanks!

Unnerving is right! I have been working in our home office for some of his over the phone technical interviews and it is just crazy! 30, 45, or 90 minutes (depending on the company) of "Name a time when..." questions while they also typed a coding question on this online thing and expected him to type challenging code (looks like simple sort but is actually complex due to the way they structured) while explaining in detail to them AND answering more "Name a time when..." questions.

One company had him do 20 minute easy phone call, 40 minute lots of questions phone call, then 2 hour online/phone technical interview.... Next would have been 6-8 hours in person being grilled!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodluck!

Thanks!

They haven't been saying technical before many of the phone things lately. Not sure if this is or not. Prepared just in case!

Suit is NOT a good idea here. Pants & nice collared shirt is already a couple of steps above what is normal in the area. I see most people interview in similar so should be good, I hope!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1441028033|3921557 said:
Lots and lots of dust!!!

Sending lots of confidence and well wishes for a great interview and a job offer!

Thanks!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decisively_unsure|1441027135|3921553 said:
For an interview you want to be wearing a suit minimum, tie optional, regardless of role. When I was 15 I went to a McDonald's interview in a suit and tie. It shows respect for your interviewers. Anyway my general advice is:

* Be 10 mins early. On time is "late", two minutes early isn't enough for the interviewer to note that you're "on the ball".

* Be prepared for questions such as "what are your weaknesses" - I usually answer this like "well I can get a bit too focussed on tasks sometimes, at the detriment of others, but it has also worked well for me when such concentration is required."

* The first thing anyone should do is a nice, confident, hand shake with eye contact.

* Don't stare the interviewers out, but make good eye contact... Looking away and refusing to make eye contact can be an interview killer

* Be honest - where you don't have the skills show scenarios where you display the ability to learn

* Initiative, honesty and integrity are the three universal character traits that are excellently received in any interview and any job

* Might be a bit late now, but you should always write a CV for the individual job role - a generic CV just doesn't land as many interviews

Awesome advice! Thank you!

Love the approach to missing skills. Showing that you know enough to realize an area is lacking and what resources to use to gain the skills is big. Also the willingness to learn new stuff and ability to learn quickly and apply new skills effectively.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely forgot about my in person a couple of months ago! That was ugly!

Of course a $10/hour summer job at 1/2 price books is WAY different than something like this! (Also way different from any other interviews I'll be doing as I am done applying to $10/hour stuff that I am over qualified for and getting turned down because of it. Now my focus is on $20-30/hour stuff that is at or just a smidge above what I should be -- with the help of a great recruiter.)

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
decisively_unsure|1441028678|3921564 said:
chemgirl said:
Goodluck!

I'm a "media / tech" type who often wears shorts and t-shirts, hoodies, skate shoes. However, this is a perk of the job, and suicide for an interview to turn up in anything less than formal wear. It can never hurt to "dress up", but can kill an interview if you "dress down".

I didn't say dress down, but a dress shirt, no tie, dress pants, nice shoes, could be appropriate and far less " old man" than a suit. This totally depends on the company.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sending lots of dust your way!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots and lots of dust!!!

My only suggestions are to look at glassdoor.com for any feedback on interview experiences and for any interview Q&A samples.

I also like to look at the challenging interview questions on quintcareers.

It sounds like you have a handle on the company and environment and attire. I think your DH's enthusiasm for work will overcome any age biases. Trust me, I've dinged many recent grads who had no enthusiasm for... IDK, even life? Lololol...

I don't know if you'd be interested, but about a month ago, in my Facebook news feed, an ad popped up about Hilton creating remote jobs. Maybe there will be something that will be a good fit! Good luck too patient and too patient DH!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh congrats TP!!! Multiple consecutive interviews is awesome - I'm super excited for you and DH and I hope they go well!!! :appl: :appl: :bigsmile:

It sounds like you and your DH have this well under control ::) Me, personally, I find it reassuring to remember that by the time I get to the in-person interview... they're past the weeding process. They're invested enough to consider it worth spending valuable employee time to meet me, and they *want* to want to bring me on board! So everyone in the room is "on my side" and "rooting for me", so to speak.

I've always been up at the whiteboard in interviews, whether or not they called 'em tech interviews! Not coding exercises necessarily (it depends on the company but overall I do think it's less common with more senior positions) but perhaps to illustrate a point, or to clarify something that comes up in the discussion.

Ditto on the suit/no suit... though I think calling HR might be a good way to settle it for sure. Smaller tech companies especially are notorious for being persnickety about "culture fit" and what you show up in speaks to that. I think age bias does exist, unfortunately, but oh my goodness passion, knowledge, and a friendly and personable demeanor will easily overcome anything like that no worries!!! Age has definite upsides - it means tons of experience with different technologies, seeing trends come and go and having a better handle on which to jump on which to avoid... and good companies know and value that :))

TONS of ::DUST::!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankfully in an office building. I know the area (almost an hour away) and DH has almost never been. Tricky roads. I came with to give directions (just as well as ran into some issues with power lines down over some roads!) and will be spending my time in a WorkSource office to see what advice they have on my resume.

Poor DH! Glad we were early. He had to go find a bathroom (building not in their offices) as his stomach is bothering him. Hit last night.

Will update as I know more! Thank you all so much for the kind words and helpful advice.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1441040050|3921662 said:
Thankfully in an office building. I know the area (almost an hour away) and DH has almost never been. Tricky roads. I came with to give directions (just as well as ran into some issues with power lines down over some roads!) and will be spending my time in a WorkSource office to see what advice they have on my resume.

Poor DH! Glad we were early. He had to go find a bathroom (building not in their offices) as his stomach is bothering him. Hit last night.

Will update as I know more! Thank you all so much for the kind words and helpful advice.

Oh no, I'm sorry about his stomach ;( I hope it calms down quickly!!

Glad you guys got there okay though!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots and lots of dust to you and your DH.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do people still ask "what is your weakness?"

I was taught in college if they ask that, that you should list an actual flaw ad saying "I'm just too good at my job" isn't what they want.

Say something not TOO bad and then expand on what you're specifically doing to correct this flaw

All I hear now is behavior based. And those can be specific. In that case you want the STAR approach. Which is state the Situation, the Task or Action you took, and the Results

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DUST DUST DUST!! Great comments and advice here, btw.

The stomach, its where I feel nervousness too, I hope he was all squared away when he went in!!!!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lots of dust!!!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1441045372|3921714 said:

I was taught in college if they ask that, that you should list an actual flaw ad saying "I'm just too good at my job" isn't what they want.

I always want to say "I'm not very punctual or reliable but I'm mostly okay when I'm not day drinking." :wall: :silenced: :bigsmile:

But I don't ever, ever say that.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1441045372|3921714 said:

Say something not TOO bad and then expand on what you're specifically doing to correct this flaw

All I hear now is behavior based. And those can be specific. In that case you want the STAR approach. Which is state the Situation, the Task or Action you took, and the Results

Yes, they still ask that. I really, really hate that question. Almost as much as the "why do you want this job" question. Um, because I like getting paid? Because counting my millions of dollars in cash was getting boring so I thought I'd get a job to pass the time? Why the eff do you think I want the job?

I just went through interviewing and did so at 6-7 different companies. One company flew me up here for a final interview. That was in April, and I never heard one thing from them. I sent thank you notes and followed up with the hiring manager. Not one word.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results