shape
carat
color
clarity

Best type of wedding band to go with a large 3 stone ering?

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at a three stone ring that has a 3 carat center stone. The problem is I'm not sure what type of wedding band to put with it. I haven't picked out the sides for the three stone yet but I'm thinking they will be in the .40-.50 range.

Does anyone have a comparable ring? What wedding band do you pair with it?

I'm worried that if the band is too blingy (is that possible? ;-) ) that the center stone won't show up as much and just sort of blend in. That said, I'm a fan of the 5 stone u prong bands with .30-.40 stones...I'm just not sure if that would look ok?! :confused:

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Best type of wedding band to go with a large 3 stone eri

I think a plain 2-2.5mm band or a pave band that size would be fine. I'd never put a large diamond band with a large 3 stone ring. The 5 stone bands with 30-40 pointers are stand-alone rings. They would sit too high to wear with an e-ring anyway (the sides of the diamonds would eat into the prongs of the e-ring). I really do think a large band totally detracts from the e-ring.

Yssie's three stone ring thread which shows how a plain band allows the 3 stone ring to get all the attention. I do think a small diamond band would work, too.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/[/URL]

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

How wide is the shank? I would think a 2mm micropave or 2mm plain, or a max 2.5 mm plain band.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would probably do a plain band, honestly. Well, as evidenced by the plain band in the thread DS linked :bigsmile: (thank you DS!)

Three-stone with stones of that size = diamond line all the way across the finger! :sun:
Eternity band or fivestone = diamond line all the way across the finger! :sun:
But to my eyes two diamond lines right next to each other = indistinguishable mishmash of sparkle. A plain spacer band between two diamond rings helps separate the lines of sparkle... a channel-set band like MissGotRocks' Tiffany eternity can work really well too IMO
img_1308.jpg

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone! Yssie, I LOVE your ring! I think yours may have just sold me on the plain band! I do agree about the mish-mash of sparkle. I really want that center stone in particular to stand out.

As far as the shank size I'm not sure yet. Probably something on the slimmer side (honestly, probably very close to Yssie's). I'm not a fan of very wide bands.

kellydean

Rough_Rock

here is my 3 carat emerald cut with trap sides.. one with an emerald cut band and one with a plain band. I wear it both ways depending on the day. hope this helps you.

_33831.jpg

_33828.jpg

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock

Wow! Thank you KellyDean! What a stunner! This really helps me quite a lot; I love seeing the two options right there together!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just had to add that I LOVE all these 3 stone rings! I'd like a round one and an EC one! :lol:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

img_9124.jpg

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
Plain d-shape or court shape wedding band to match the height and proportions of your existing ring, anything more is too much IMHO. Matching is critical though or you'll get a disjointed look.

Some people would disagree, but a more elaborate wedding band could easily come across as too busy or worse still, tacky. Having a slimmer band with subtle diamonds looks to work well in the above example from Yssie though. :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

decisively_unsure|1441107536|3922026 said:
Plain d-shape or court shape wedding band to match the height and proportions of your existing ring, anything more is too much IMHO. Matching is critical though or you'll get a disjointed look.

Some people would disagree, but a more elaborate wedding band could easily come across as too busy or worse still, tacky. Having a slimmer band with subtle diamonds looks to work well in the above example from Yssie though. :)

This in an important factor not to be overlooked. I tried on MANY wedding bands before I decided on the channel set band. For me, it was very important to have the right height and shape to the band so that it made a nice looking pairing. With my three stone, the shared prong bands - even with small stones - just looked like a conglomeration of too many prongs. I did not want to have to wear a spacer either. When I was first married, I had a 4 mm band with my solitaire engagement ring. It was sort of the flavor of the time. Today, my ering is basically thicker than my band and I prefer the look so much better. A three stone can overshadow and cover so much of many bands because of the volume of the stones so that is another consideration. If I had chosen a band without having the three stone ring to try them with, I don't think I would have made as good a choice so you might want to get the ring made and then shop for bands. The plain band is a beautiful choice though - you certainly can't go wrong with that look!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results