shape
carat
color
clarity

1.2 CT Round / H / VVS2 / Ideal

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
So after doing some research, I think I have found a decent diamond (not setting yet). Price is about $6,000

Can anyone provide feedback on this? Ex. if it is a good price, good specs, your take on the picture provided and the inclusions?

Would there be better alternatives to this? Is this offering real savings versus a store price? Any worrying points?

I also ran it through the Holloway Cut Adviser and the result was : 1.8 - Excellent

Carat weight: 1.20
Shape: Round
Cut: Ideal
Color : H
Clarity: VVS2
Length/width ratio: 1.01
Depth %: 61.8%
Table %: 58.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium
Measurements: 6.80 x 6.76 x 4.19 mm

ld05420547_round_1.jpg
proportions.jpg
flaws.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I addressed several of your questions in your previous post. Most of us will recommend to keep one post for the same topic. Otherwise it's confusing to keep track of which one has been replied to.

So again, $6000 is a very very good price. Wondering how you are being offered such a good price?

The numbers are great, so it has the promise to have ideal light return and performance. Without an IS or ASET We can't say 100% though.
Can you ask for those images and post?

If you are maximizing your budget for size, then drop down to vs1 or vs2. It will be perfectly clear.

I don't think anyone can recommend a better stone in the size, color and clarity for the price you're being offered.

No worries about the inclusions in a VVS2 stone.

The gold arrow is likely a reflection during the photograph.

Verify with the vendor that the medium blue fluorescence does not make the stone milky or hazy.

Looks like a great diamond at a great price.

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Sorry about the double post, I'll keep it all here!

Here is another diamond that I found--

1.39 CT, VVS2, I, ideal cut

Cost = $6850

Pros--no florescence, 0.19 carats larger
Cons--$800 more, lesser color grade (H to I)

Also, the Holloway Cut Adviser said: Performance 4.0 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion
--Not sure how much weight this holds...

My girlfriend doesn't know if she prefers bigger carat vs. higher quality, so I'm looking for objective opinions haha

diamond_77.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you specifically looking to be in the VVS range? Reason I ask is because you can easily get a larger stone in VS1 or VS2 for the same amount of money. For many VVS is overkill in that you won't see any inclusions in a VS stone. Unless your GF has a mind clean thing and wants to "know" that there are hardly any inclusions, then I would look at VS options.

You said she doesn't know if she wants size vs quality. Even if you were to go with a larger diamond the inferior cut will make it appear smaller and duller compared to a stone that's slightly smaller with an ideal cut.

The first stone you posted has ideal proportions. The second stone has a steep crown angle and paired with a steepish pavilion angle. It would be more complimentary for the way the diamond sparkles if the steep crown angle was paired with a shallow pavilion angle (or vice versa). I would take the first stone over the second in a heart beat.

Do you know how color sensitive she is? I think your first stone is a great option.

Here's some parameters that will help you with the cut:

Table: 55-58%
Depth: 59-62.3%
Crown angle: 34-35 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.6 - 41 degrees

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is a steep / deep and will face up smaller for it's carat weight. Stick with the H.

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Awesome, thanks for those parameters!

I have been looking at the VS1 / VS2 and haven't found anything really comparable with a great savings...if it will only add $300-$500 in savings, I'd rather get the stone of the same approx. carat in higher quality (within .05 to .1 carats).

I am unsure how color sensitive she is--and she doesn't know either (I suppose due to our inexperience).

I will definitely avoid the second one that I sent and keep looking around!

Would there be a noticeable difference between 1.2 / 1.3 in carat size?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you mean "higher quality"? What does that mean to you?

BUT - you have been given an excellent price on the H you've already found - - which looks very nice - why don't you just get it?

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Yes I know--sorry for so many questions. I am just trying to get opinions since I am not very well versed in diamond purchases. If I could get a 1.4 CT that is just as good as a 1.2, obviously I want to try to do so.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There won't be a noticeable difference in size between a 1.2 carat and a 1.3 carat.

You can get a 1.4 carat for around the same price but you will have to sacrifice color or clarity (I don't recommend sacrificing cut). Ie, the 1.4 carat would be a lower color or clarity. That's why I'm saying go down to a VS2. :sun: I've had several VS2's and have not been able to see anything and I'm the type who looks and looks. But if you haven't found anything that's a different dilemma.

I think H is a nice middle ground if you or she doesn't know how color sensitive she is.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rustychipmunk|1440942770|3921133 said:
So after doing some research, I think I have found a decent diamond (not setting yet). Price is about $6,000
$6K is an excellent price unless the stone is damaged. i.e....a chipped girdle.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a very low price. Where are you shopping? I like the pricing!

The H stone is nice. I do not care for the second one. Don't worry about it being VVS as you aren't even paying a premium for it at $6k.

I would say yes, you can see size differences. If your budget is higher than $6k, then continue looking for larger H color stones VS2 and higher if you like good clarity.

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Is there a "typical" size for an engagement ring diamond? I am honestly clueless as to what the size and budget should be and set it sort of arbitrarily

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a picture comparing 1.2 and 1.3, but I have a picture from a jeweler that shows 1.2, 1.0, and 1.4 cts on the hand.

stones_on_hand__2_.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rustychipmunk|1440967996|3921310 said:
Is there a "typical" size for an engagement ring diamond? I am honestly clueless as to what the size and budget should be and set it sort of arbitrarily

No, there really isn't. Some people get no engagement ring and just get wedding bands and some people get 3+ ct rocks! A lot depends on your finances and your social circle. Do you two have friends or sisters that are engaged or married? If so, what size diamonds do they have? Obviously you don't overspend to keep up with others, but it is usually more comfortable not to have the smallest diamond in one's social circle if the budget allows. I personally don't want a vastly larger stone than my circle, either. In my local world, most of my sisters and friends have around a carat on average. My daughter's engagement ring is 1.15 cts and most of her friends have about a carat. But the bottom line is how much you can afford.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these diamonds second hand, by chance? The cheapest site I see has 1.2 H VVS2 diamonds around $8k.

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Not to my knowledge--it's on Blue Nile

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rustychipmunk|1440967996|3921310 said:
This is a good size stone at 6.80mm. What size ring does she wear? Here is the same size stone (the middle one) on my wife's 4.75 size finger.

_33808.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume you have that stone on hold. But I still can't figure out why the price is so low because the other 1.2 H VVS2's start at $6950 (one with med blue fl) and the rest are over $7000. So if the one you are looking at is closer to $6k, it is pretty much a great deal other than we can't tell more about the cut quality since they don't provide idealscope or ASET images.

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
If I purchase it, am I able to get those sort of images taken? Will they have a large impact on "performance" if it does not grade well?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
rustychipmunk|1441060983|3921861 said:
If I purchase it, am I able to get those sort of images taken? Will they have a large impact on "performance" if it does not grade well?

I don't believe BN provides ASET or IS images. You could find an appraiser whom can provide those images though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rustychipmunk|1441060983|3921861 said:

Okay, let me make sure I understand. You are going with the James Allen setting and will look there for the diamond?

If so, you can select 3 diamonds to request idealscope images. They can't always access them, but it is important to get them before buying. We can help you narrow down the best 3 and then once you get the images, you can post them here, too.

Here are some parameters to help you sort through GIA Ex cut stones:

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

rustychipmunk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply--the diamond is through Blue Nile, however--not James Allen, so those photos are not available.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results