color
clarity

What are your favorite / go-to snacks?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1440696765|3919927 said:
distracts|1440638238|3919679 said:
I like fruit with cottage cheese (I get the cottage cheese with probiotics, dunno if it really makes a difference but I feel like that one is better lol), fruit in general (tuffyluvr mentioned honeycrisp apples and YES), some veggies, cheese and crackers (I like pretty much any kind of rosemary cracker), rice (you know those microwaveable packets of rice that you don't need to boil or anything?), various granola bar things, cheez-its, goldfish snack crackers, teddy grahams, and most of all Lays barbecue chips (which I usually only eat when I am really stressed out).

I don't do any portion controlling because I don't do that in general. We'll see what happens as I get older but right now it's not necessary for me. I eat until I'm nearly full and then I stop.

What brand do you get that has probiotics? Never seen it. I get the Friendship brand because (if I remember correctly) it has simple ingredients and the least amount of sodium.

I also overeat when I'm stressed out - my medicine is usually cookies though.

ETA: oh, as far as portion control listening to your body you're already ahead of the game than most people...I find that I never used to have to worry too much when I was in my 20s even my 30s...but now, I really do look best when I have some kind of control over how much I eat. I notice a good difference in my body when I limit my carb intake.

Actually, when I crave cheesecake, those 100 calorie cottage cheese with fruit hit the spot for me! Somehow that fruit and cottage cheese combo is received by my mouth, nose and brain In such a way that Im satisfied go figure!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1440700238|3919962 said:
telephone89|1440685719|3919841 said:
I have discovered cookie butter, and I'm in love. I literally put it on everything, it makes anything taste good :D

In the fall/winter they had cookie butter cheesecake! It was such a good price, like $5.99 ...definitely less than $10! It was just too perfect a cheesecake flavor!
Oh. My. God. That sounds amazing! One of my coworkers brought this back for me (no trader joes in canada) and I'm in love. I am headed to the states next month and will be keeping an eye out for similar items :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1440625378|3919571 said:
Are your portions controlled, jaysonsmom?

Like when I say "almonds and raisins" I mean 7-10 almonds and 7-10 raisins.

I could eat tons more, but then they'd fall into the naughty category. :/

ETA: oh, and yes, I love chips! I'll add those to the naughty list (although again, if I control the portion and it's not a ton I consider it OK as long as I'm not snacking on chips every day).

OMG CJ, I wish I had your self control. I eat almonds, walnuts and cashews every single day and no way could I just eat 7-10. More like 70. Not kidding LOL. I guess that is one of my vices. I am not good at portion control. :nono:

My snacks throughout the day.

Almonds, walnuts, cashews.

Cherries when they are in season. So sad no more cherries till next summer. ;(

Popcorn air popped at night after dinner usually.

No sugar added fudgsicles.

azstonie said:
jordyonbass|1440690523|3919883 said:
If I have fresh Bluefin Tuna then I snack on that like a rabid animal until I make myself sick lol. I usually cut it into slices, put it in a lemon/lime juice mix, serve with soy sauce and wasabi. GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY!!

Homemade guacamole and ham slices on crackers is another one that's healthier that I also make from time to time.

Missy, oh MISSY!!!!! Bluefish tuna, another fan just like you and your DH!!!!

Jordy, are you an Aussi or Kiwi? Trying to get a bead on where you are acquiring said Bluefish Tuna!!!!

Kristie, bluefin tuna is not the same as bluefish. I never had bluefin tuna. But it sounds yummy. I also love love love homemade guacamole. OMG delicious. I think of this as more of an addition to a meal than an actual snack but I can see where it works both ways.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Healthy: Blueberries, cherries, watermelon, cantaloupe

Unhealthy: Jalepeno Cheese, Doritos, Mint Chip Ice Cream, Cheetos, Chocolate.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1440713202|3920074 said:

ETA: oh, and yes, I love chips! I'll add those to the naughty list (although again, if I control the portion and it's not a ton I consider it OK as long as I'm not snacking on chips every day).

OMG CJ, I wish I had your self control. I eat almonds, walnuts and cashews every single day and no way could I just eat 7-10. More like 70. Not kidding LOL. I guess that is one of my vices. I am not good at portion control. :nono:

OOOh what are these no sugar added fudgsicles you mention? What brand?

Have any of you ever tried the Arctic Zero Ice Cream? It's pretty good - well, I should say the Pure Chocolate flavor is - I didn't like the Vanilla Maple.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1440753447|3920244 said:
missy|1440713202|3920074 said:

OOOh what are these no sugar added fudgsicles you mention? What brand?

Have any of you ever tried the Arctic Zero Ice Cream? It's pretty good - well, I should say the Pure Chocolate flavor is - I didn't like the Vanilla Maple.

Hi CJ, I buy the "Fudgsicle" original fudge pops no sugar added. Attaching a pic. One bar has 40 calories and when I have a craving for something cold and sweet at home this satisfies it. I am currently out of them at the moment so thanks for the reminder. It can be difficult to keep in stock during the summertime when they become more popular.

I have never tried the Arctic Zero Ice Cream. As a rule I don't keep ice cream in the house. Too easy to go overboard. Plus I keep dairy intake to a minimum so one or 2 fudgsicle pops at a time is the max I will usually do.

Another good cold treat is the sugar free popsicle though it is not as rich and good as the fudgsicle it is satisfying when all one wants is something cold and low calorie. 15 calories a pop. But I am sure many won't care for the taste. I am good with it though and for 15 calories a pop it works for me occasionally especially when I am in the mood for something cold and quick on a hot summer day.

Sometimes I don't feel like making a healthy smoothie in the Vitamix and that has a lot more calories anyway and is more like a meal. Though that is a great treat and very tasty. Just a lot more work and calories. Just a quick smoothie recipe general rule- 1/2 greens (I use organic greens from Costco) and 1/2 fruit making sure a banana (or something with that consistency like an avocado even) is in the mix to keep it creamy. I usually use blueberries, banana, greens, water and lots of ice. Delicious!

nosugaraddedfudgsicletheoriginalfudgepops.jpg

popsiclesugarfree.jpg

my-favorite-green-smoothie-recipe.jpg

berrygreensmoothie.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so going to try those Fudgsicles!

Thank you Missy!

(ETA too lazy to make any kind of shake, even the easy ones :/)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1440761937|3920265 said:

Thank you Missy!

Me too CJ. Lately it has just been too much of a chore to make our smoothies and it really isn't difficult. Just not in the mood to do anything extra these days. Just waking up is challenging enough lately. LOL. But I am feeling inspired by your thread and think that I will be making some smoothies tomorrow. If I remember I will take a picture. Depending on what you add the colors can be quite lovely. And I love putting them in Mason Jars. They seem to taste even more delicious that way for some reason. :lickout:

I hope you like the fudgsicles. I really like them.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
peanut M&M + strawberry and creams (these are soft chewy lollies/ candy)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Avocados
grapes
olives
Anything red meat from the night before

Those baked snap pea things.. I don't really like them, but I bought an industrial sized bag from Costco and they are sitting on my nightstand. At night, I snack on these compulsively. Hopefully, they will be gone soon.

If there is any kind of regular salted potato chips (especially kettle style) in the house, I will live on them until they are gone. For this reason, I refuse to buy them. :???:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Missy!

CJ, Another great low calorie fudgsickle are Weight Watcher Giant Fudge Bars. They also make them In a snack size which have half the calories. I forgot to put them on my list of great snacks.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1440766582|3920286 said:

Thank you Missy!

Me too CJ. Lately it has just been too much of a chore to make our smoothies and it really isn't difficult. Just not in the mood to do anything extra these days. Just waking up is challenging enough lately. LOL. But I am feeling inspired by your thread and think that I will be making some smoothies tomorrow. If I remember I will take a picture. Depending on what you add the colors can be quite lovely. And I love putting them in Mason Jars. They seem to taste even more delicious that way for some reason. :lickout:

I don't know why, but I completely agree about smoothies tasting better out of mason jars!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Calliecake|1440779218|3920372 said:

Thank you Missy!

CJ, Another great low calorie fudgsickle are Weight Watcher Giant Fudge Bars. They also make them In a snack size which have half the calories. I forgot to put them on my list of great snacks.

They're not low-calorie (but lower calorie than traditional ice cream treats), but the Skinny Cow brand chocolate mint ganache cones and chocolate truffle bars are to die for! I believe they're 140 calories and 90 calories respectively, but they taste completely decadent!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1440787496|3920429 said:
missy|1440766582|3920286 said:

Thank you Missy!

I don't know why, but I completely agree about smoothies tasting better out of mason jars!

Haha I know. In fact, almost everything I drink (with the exception of hot coffee and tea) tastes better out of a mason jar. I drink almost everything from them these days. Love the mason jars.

CJ we just both two 20 pack fudgsicles from the local supermarket at the beach and OMG they are so cheap here compared to NYC. It was $4.49 for 20 as compared to $6.99 in NY. I wish I could buy a few more and bring them back with me to NYC but I wouldn't be able to keep them from melting. Not worth it but still. What a price difference.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the cold treat recommendations callie and missy.

One thing I forgot to add to the healthy snacking: I use cinnamon a lot to sweeten/give some flavor to things like oatmeal, greek yogurt, etc. Helps me from feeling like I have to add honey especially for the plain greek yogurt.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1440851050|3920720 said:
Thanks for all the cold treat recommendations callie and missy.

One thing I forgot to add to the healthy snacking: I use cinnamon a lot to sweeten/give some flavor to things like oatmeal, greek yogurt, etc. Helps me from feeling like I have to add honey especially for the plain greek yogurt.

I LOVE cinnamon but stopped adding it to food/drink when I developed PD (peri oral dermatitis) last autumn. Cinnamon (as well as fluoride and peppermint to name a few) can be a catalyst to PD but you are OK CJ since you don't have and never had PD.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked up PD - damn Missy your skin is really sensitive isn't it. It also says it can be caused by "heavy face creams" and moisturizers. I've been moisturizing with pure Vaseline. I hope it doesn't become a problem my skin needs the moisture desperately.

(and BTW I've been using the Toleriane cleanser ever since you recommended it - I like it. It's pretty mild and out of all the tons of cleansers I've tried it works the best as far as not drying me out.)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1440852393|3920729 said:
I just looked up PD - damn Missy your skin is really sensitive isn't it. It also says it can be caused by "heavy face creams" and moisturizers. I've been moisturizing with pure Vaseline. I hope it doesn't become a problem my skin needs the moisture desperately.

(and BTW I've been using the Toleriane cleanser ever since you recommended it - I like it. It's pretty mild and out of all the tons of cleansers I've tried it works the best as far as not drying me out.)

You don't even know the extent of it. It's super sensitive and super reactive.
I get welts if someone just touches me sometimes (I also have dermatographic urticaria) and forget the kitties. Sweet Tommy just kissing me causes a huge reaction which reminds me we have to give him a bath cause it is getting worse. But I digress.

CJ Please don't use vaseline on your face. It is occlusive and doesn't allow your skin to breathe. I get dry skin believe me so I understand how you are feeling just wanting to get it moisturized sufficiently. I am glad you like the Toleriane cleanser. It is really good for sensitive skin with only a few ingredients. I wonder if you would also like their Ultra Moisturizer. It is working well for me but of course in summer my skin is less crazy dry. I don't know if it will be sufficient in winter.
http://www.en.laroche-posay.ca/products-treatments/Toleriane/Toleriane-Ultra-p3817.aspx

I also like Avene Cicalfate restorative cream for really dry skin but I am not sure you can use it every day as it might be too rich. It is very soothing.
http://www.aveneusa.com/cicalfate-restorative-skin-cream

Also Avene Extreme.
http://www.aveneusa.com/tolerance-extreme-cream

Please rethink the vaseline and try one of the suggested creams above. Maybe it will work well for you too! Fingers crossed.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So excited right now, got a message from a mate of mine about 5 minutes ago with the below picture and the following message, snacking is about to level up: (weights converted for my US friends)

'Got this 165kg/363lb behemoth today, lures in the water for all of 15 minutes followed by a 4 hour battle that ended in tears for the angler. Thanks for the weighted bullet lure tip, got a 10kg/20lb slab of fresh Sashimi coming your way tonight'

165kg.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy that is a big fish. Wow.

CJ, just made smoothies after our bike ride today. I had to toss the first batch because I am out of practice (it's been over a year since I made smoothies and thank you for this thread as it was the push I needed) and used too many greens. But the second batch was delicious. I added organic frozen blueberries, frozen banana, and a few chunks of organic frozen pineapple with water and ice and mixed organic greens. It was delicious.

Posting a few pics for you. It was hard to get the accurate color with my phone for some reason. It was more purple than these pics show and IDK it looks like a thin consistency in the last pic because it was not. It was thick and creamy. Perfect consistency.

smoothiesunday.jpg

creamyandthicksmoothie.jpg

smoothieinmasonjar.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy!

Thank you so much for posting those pics!

I believe you that it was absolutely delicious!

I'm so glad this post inspired you. ::)

It seems like you kind of go on instinct - but can you give me an idea of the amount of each ingredient you put in? Maybe I'll get inspired one day. :D

Jordy - I'm sorry I didn't say anything about your catch. To be honest with you I have a hard time looking at pictures of any animal in that state (I know it seems silly but I picture the fish trying to breathe and not being able to :(sad ) I am not saying this to make you feel bad for posting the picture, I'm just being honest with you. I hope you understand.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, you're very welcome and you are right. I sort of just wing it when I make smoothies. Today was challenging because it had been over a year since I last made one (haha go figure while I was recovering from my broken leg I didn't feel like making them LOL and then I just never got back to it till your thread reminded me how much I loved having them and Greg too).

From my memory of what I put into today's smoothie here goes.
I added about 1 to 1 and a 1/4 frozen banana, about 4 cups of frozen blueberries, about 20 ounces of water, about 4 chunks of frozen pineapple. We bought all the frozen fruit (except for the bananas which I froze myself from all the extra bananas we always seem to have) from Costco and the pineapple comes in chunks and I used about 4.

Next time I will write it down as I do it and share it here OK? Because I want to be more exact for you. Oh and I kept adding ice to make the consistency what I wanted it to be. The more ice you add the thicker it becomes. Those ingredients made a lot of smoothie. Greg and I had basically 2 full mason jars which is about 24 ounces each.LOL we had a long bike ride and needed to refuel and rehydrate.

You can add anything you want really. If you want protein you can add nuts/peanut butter or protein powder even though I tried that a long time ago and I just don't love protein powder. You can add chia seeds, flax seeds anything. I would say if you are going to try it to start with just a few ingredients and go from there experimenting each time to find what you love.

I have a few smoothie books (one came with the Vitamix even and it is awesome but I don't have any of the ingredients at home so just went with what I had today. I like to put my own touch on them anyway haha and am never too good at following instructions that way.

Here are a few links to help you get started. I don't usually add anything with dairy because I don't tolerate dairy too well. I'm not sure where you stand re that issue but including no dairy recipes just in case.

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/fruit-smoothies-with-no-yogurt-or-milk

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Summer-Fruit-Smoothie-1244741?columns=4&position=1%2F65

Ingredients
1 handful spinach (fresh)
1 bananas (chopped/ might be also frozen)
1 gl fruit (summer, mix frozen, I used black forest fruit)
2 tbsps oats
2 gls water (can be also milk of your choice)
1 tbsp honey

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Tropical-Fruit-Smoothie-1008258?columns=4&position=3%2F66

8 passion fruit
1 bananas
2 mango (very ripe, juicy)
2 lime
600 ml orange juice
3 handfuls ice cubes

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Spinach-Banana-Smoothie-1279495?columns=4&position=5%2F66

2 bananas
2 handfuls baby spinach (Organic)
6 strawberries (Driscoll's, frozen overnight)
1/4 water (a cup of, /ice)

This one has milk.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/frozen-fruit-smoothies-recipe.html

1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced
2 cups frozen strawberries, raspberries, or cherries
1 cup milk
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 to 3 tablespoons honey or to taste

Just a few to get you started. Once you get the hang of it you will enjoy experimenting more I think. One word of caution. I add greens to my smoothies to make them healthier and with less sugar than an all fruit smoothie would have but it will give it a sort of green/brown color and IDK if that would be a turn off for you. I don't mind it but not everyone likes drinking a green/brown drink lol. So just letting you know. Hope you have fun with this and also enjoy adding them to your snacking or even meal repertoire.

To make them low sugar add more greens and low sugar fruit like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, apples etc.
http://simplegreensmoothies.com/low-sugar-fruits

You do need either a banana or something else that is creamy to get a good consistency and creamy texture. So I almost always add some banana though that is a high in sugar fruit. There are other things you can add (avocado for one) but I like using some banana for the creamy texture it gives my smoothies. Oh and it took (once I threw out the first batch that is) 5 minutes from start to finish to make the smoothies and clean the Vitamix which is so easy. Just put warm water in and hit the power button and voilà it's clean. Easy peasy.

Haha OK I promise last addition. I thought you mind find this useful.
https://www.vitamix.com/browse/recipes/Smoothies/?id=ctfindrecipeslandingpage

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy you are so awesome for sharing all that with me!

Thank you for also including low sugar options - I love fruit and I OD on sweet fruit as it is so if I would like to start with the least sugary as possible even though I'm sure the sweeter ones are sooooo good ::)

Green brown I don't care - if it tastes good I'll try it! Also knowing something's good for me makes them that much more appealing.

Thank you so much for sharing ::)

Sounds like you're having a great Sunday and I hope it gets even better.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks CJ, you too!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CJ2008 my apologies, I sometimes forget I am probably used to it moreso than other people :oops:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I eat a lot of fruit - bananas, strawberries, raspberries, mango, seedless grapes, grape or cherry tomatoes, and bell peppers with hummus. I also love popcorn and Outshine yogurt bars and Popsicles.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1440996396|3921457 said:
CJ2008 my apologies, I sometimes forget I am probably used to it moreso than other people :oops:

Oh, that's nice of you to come back and say that jordy. Please don't feel bad - I totally understand.

Zoe - I eat a lot of fruit too (honeydew and cantaloupes too).

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to let everyone know that trader joes has begun stocking cookie butter cheesecake bites (a seasonal item discussed earlier in this thread. You're welcome/sorryyyyy!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1446605284|3945453 said:
Just wanted to let everyone know that trader joes has begun stocking cookie butter cheesecake bites (a seasonal item discussed earlier in this thread. You're welcome/sorryyyyy!!!

OMG Tuffy, I am going to KILL you. LOL I mean you are killing ME. :lol: I am dying (haha get it) to try these now. :lol: Why is everything that tastes so darn good so darn bad for us? :(

Thanks. I think. ;))

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just recently my mother made meat balls but they were kinda elongated - so I called them 'meat fingers'. They looked a bit odd but GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!
5lb container gone in about 48 hours and I currently hate myself for it....actually who am I kidding, no regrets!!! :lol:

From what I could taste there was beef, onion, garlic, oregano and some bread crumbs but I have no doubt there's other flavours in there that I haven't put my finger on. Sooooooo good

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results