shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I get lab testing done on my e-ring sapphire?

Caramelfreak

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is quite a distraction of mine and just wanting to get some opinions.
My e-ring was bought from a reputable jewellery wholesaler/ manufacturer- Corona Jewellery in Toronto.
I do remember loving the sapphire which was already set the moment I saw it. We had been looking- online, in shops etc in various countries. It was appraised etc. but at that time even though I know it was heat-treated- as all sapphires are- I didn't know about lattice diffusion, glass fillings etc. Also We did look at it with a loupe and it looked nice, some inclusions but for some reason rather than hating on the bands/ inclusions I actually quite liked them.
Then my e-ring got damaged. Now this is back where we live downunder. Independent jewellers I sought for insurance quotes kept poo-pooing my sapphire, even raising the suspicion that the sapphire is not real to the point where I really doubt my little blue darling and she kinda looked moody for a bit for a few days.
Where I am there is no GIA, no AGL no real labs. But I went to a gem appraisal person because I wanted someone independent. She assured me that my sapphire is a real sapphire, no glass/ lead fillings and as far as she can tell, only heat treatment and no diffusion. Now she doesn't have that 1 million dollar machine from GIA to test for BE diffusion so I have to trust her experience.

The thing is this:
I am a little upset with the comments from the other jewellers. And it is a precious e-ring that he paid a lot of money for. Now it is gorgeously re-handmade by another jeweller who said nothing about my sapphire (she just love the colour), just did the job well and appeared proud of her work.
I don't know if I should get it lab tested... at the same time what if I lab test it and the lab says it's BE/lattice diffused/ lead filled/ fake etc.? I'm not looking to sell this darling- in fact, having lost it and then found it on the road unharmed even though it was crushed under a car (the setting was another matter. Try finding tiny diamonds amongst shiny bitumen.) it is even more valuable to me.

Any advice?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could help you love your ring. I read your story in Hangouts.

Your loved the sapphire. You lost the sapphire. You found the sapphire. You had the ring re-done. But, it's the comments from other jewelers that have filled you with doubts.

It's a beautiful ring.

I think it's a miracle that you found it in the road. How would you feel if you never saw it again? Would gemology test results change anything?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I'm wondering if I understood your post correctly. It seemed like you are worried that your sapphire might have been treated in a way that can only be conclusively detected using high tech lab fascilities. But your reason for being worried is because a jewler eyeballed the stone and made some uncomplementary (and unjustified) comments. If this is the case, then I would let it go and save my money for hiring a better jewler next time. Otherwise I have heard people on this forum mention spectra as an Australian gem lab, but I think if I was as attached as you seem to be then I'd have a hard time sending it off to get tested. Best of luck :wavey:

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Ennui is asking the same thing I was thinking. Would the lab results later your love for your sapphire in any way? I looked up your ring and I agree, it is beautiful!! Just from reading your post, it seems to me like some jewelers' nasty comments are the only reason you are even considering getting your sapphire tested. The way you feel about your ring is the ONLY thing that matters. Now, if this is something that is going nag at you and keep you worrying, then it may be worth it just to have peace of mind... but if it's not going to change how much you value your sapphire, then why bother? Just something to think about :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arabella|1440924404|3921085 said:
Now, if this is something that is going nag at you and keep you worrying, then it may be worth it just to have peace of mind... but if it's not going to change how much you value your sapphire, then why bother?

+1.

drruby

Shiny_Rock
good possibility anything bought last 10 years has either beryl or LGFF

so you may want to have a lab look at it

then if the jeweler is reputable they would replace it if found to be beryl or LGFF treated

could be the jeweler was duped before the issues with corundum were better known

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results