shape
carat
color
clarity

What is a good jewelry wardrobe? ++

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
ETA: if this is off-topic please tell me where I should move my post, thanks!

I'm 47 and at this point in my life I've accumulated a few nice pieces of jewelry. Diamond studs, a diamond pendant, a string of pearls, pearl drop earrings, and a gold rolling ring, as well as my gold charm bracelet from childhood and a few pieces that belonged to my nana. I still want a few more things, of course. :)

I'd like to know what others here think constitute a basic (or not so basic!) jewelry collection- like an "every girl needs a..." thread. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You may want to ask the moderators to move this to Hangout. It's not really an RT question.

We have people from all walks of life here on this board. With many different budgets.

I think a good jewelry wardrobe centers more on how you feel about your individual pieces than any arbitrary list.

I am a bargain hunter. I find that in addition to any sentimental value my pieces have, if I know that I/my husband got a good deal on something it increases my affection for it.

And if I didn't get a good deal...it bugs me. What bugs me more is having pieces I don't wear. That REALLY kills me.

So, I make sure that the pieces I keep are ones that I genuinely like and wear. If I don't wear something, absent significant sentimental value, I don't hang on to it.

So what a good jewelry wardrobe is FOR ME, is one that makes you smile and that you wear often and with joy.

Along with that, specific personal preferences matter. Some people appreciate branded items and value them more. One person might love sapphires. For that person a 'good jewelry wardrobe' MUST have sapphires. Whereas for someone else, not so much. Some people have necklaces. Some dislike bracelets.

I think instead of focusing on an arbitrary list of 'must haves' from a bunch a strangers you should spend some time browsing Show me the Bling (found here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/show-me-the-bling-rings-earrings-jewelry.8/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/show-me-the-bling-rings-earrings-jewelry.8/[/URL] ) and decide for yourself what makes your heart sing and then create your list from there.

Once you have that, then we'll be able to help you find them!

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I realized after I posted this probably wasn't the right place. Sorry! Can I ask, how do I contact a moderator?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just click "report concern" and let them know.

Gypsy has totally summed up my thoughts! I'm about the same age as you and now have a handful of pieces I wear regularly, very similar to your list too! Several items were bought "preloved" and I really enjoy knowing I did not pay full retail. The only "extra" items I have are a couple of nice right hand rings which are different in style to my e-ring.

I do have some jewellery regrets though, mainly wishing I had found Pricescope sooner! My diamond pendant is quite small and not the best diamond, I feel I should upgrade it but can't really justify it.

I'm pretty sure I have enough diamonds now and am saving up for a Van Cleef Alhambra piece. Once I've decided on that I think my collection will be complete........... :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sugarski|1440829262|3920661 said:
Yeah, I realized after I posted this probably wasn't the right place. Sorry! Can I ask, how do I contact a moderator?

See the "report concern" button? Click on that And ask to move to Hangout. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a good jewelry wardrobe is one you will wear and enjoy meaning it is different for every person. Reading Gypsy's and Snowdrop's posts I agree with what they have written.

For me it is having my ER and WBs, a few diamond pendants and necklaces and lots and lots of diamond earrings haha. I love my diamond earrings! And a few good watches. For me. For you it is likely different and again what makes it good is that it is something you will wear and get pleasure from for years to come.

I agree I like a bargain but if the right piece shows up that is not something that is easy to get but that is something I am going to love I think about it PPW (price per wear). For my ER for example, I love and wear that every day so I was willing to spend $$$ for it because in the long run it is a wise choice for me. That's how I look at it anyway.

Enjoy the hunt!!! :appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
an eternity band and a tennis bracelet or a full diamond bangle and I think you are rockin!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as we are talking about diamonds, I think the post is okay here! ;)) Hangout is good, too! I am a few years older than you, so I have thought about this a lot. Obviously as others have said, this is a personal preference thing, but I agree that it helps me to get ideas from others. My main aim for the last several years is to only buy heirloom quality pieces to eventually hand down to my daughters and granddaughters.

My basic everyday pieces are:

wedding set
Cartier watch
diamond pendant
diamond studs or wg hoops

Secondary pieces that I wear occasionally and think of as staples are:

36" platinum diamonds-by-the-yard necklace (love this as it can be worn long or doubled)
DBTY bracelet
diamond tennis bracelet (rarely worn)
right hand rings

I have other things such as a few Tiffany platinum or white gold pieces, sapphire halo earrings, pearl items, etc. I seriously do not need another pendant, necklace, or bracelet as I'd like to wear the ones I have as much as possible since I don't wear them often. I do like diamond rings that I can switch out with my engagement ring as that is the one thing I wear the most. I imagine I will eventually get a couple more colored stone rings as well. I'd also like a pair of diamond drop earrings and SS pearl drop earrings to go with my SS pearl and diamond pendant.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Buy what you will wear, and buy the best you can afford.

Do you have a quality watch?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 3 jewellery wardrobes, one for casual wear, one for work, and one for formal and glitzer occasions.

The casual wear one can overlap with the work one; and the work one can overlap the formal wear one.

For instance, simple 10mm pearl studs can be worn when I go out to walk the dog, or wear to work on dress-down Fridays; my diamond studs with the small earring jackets can be worn to work or to an evening event etc...

I guess jewellery is just like clothes and accessories, something to suit all occasions.

For me personally, I would have a selection of studs, pendants, rings, bracelets/bangles and watches, so that I can mix and match as the occasion dictates.

Apart from diamonds and pearls, my coloured stone of choice is rubies; and have recently started to collect other CSs primarily for a CS ring wardrobe - it's frivolous however it is also fun and I love colours.

DK :))

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with previous posters that whatever your jewelry wardrobe, your pieces should bring you joy or else get rid of them! I like having a nice selection of rings besides my engagement ring/wedding band to keep things spicy. I also like having diamond studs that I can just throw on and go. Beyond that, the things I collect are just extra. If ever I realize there's something I'm not wearing/using, I opt to sell at that point. I have a bling wish list that I will never fulfill because it's always changing. That's part of the fun, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results