shape
carat
color
clarity

More Help... maybe more than yellow?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... I had Jeff White cut me a yellow zircon recently. I LOVE this stone!!!

I was going to have Erika Winters set it into my RDG setting, but... well, that's the part I'm asking for thoughts on. At first I was all set to do exactly as planned, but over the past couple of weeks of playing with her loose... I'm having second thoughts about this reset.

I really do love this stone. And I really do love the RDG. I'm just not completely sure I love the idea of pairing them quite so much as I originally did! The zircon is such a bright, bold, BIG stone - big colour, big flash, big dispersion... and the RDG is sorta completely the opposite, all soft lines and muted colours. And then there's the fact that I keep going back to the Ricezo/Niel chrysoberyl three-stone: the cheery yellow works so well in the very simple setting :sun: I really liked the way my zircon looks in my old Butterflies setting with diamond sides - a similar effect.

Am I nutty for re-thinking this plan? Thoughts on putting the zircon into the three-stone? Thoughts on what might be a better fit in terms of "look and feel" for the RDG? I'm always drawn to orangy-pinky stones (a pad sapphire would be my dream, but it'd be completely out of budget even if it was somehow possible to find!!)... are there any other orangy-pink stones that might be possible (in the 8.5-9mm diameter range) with a budget of say $2k, precision-cutting required (proportions-restrictions)?

Egads. CSer opinions would be very welcome!!! Minou, Acinom, Chrono - I hope you see this because you're the ones who told me to take my time thinking about it, so (in my not-at-all-humble opinion) you're pretty much obligated to help me figure out the consequences of taking your advice :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'd put it in the three stone. I think it looks great in there, and I also feel like it might be too bold of a color for the subtlety of the RDG.

Edit: What about a lighter pink garnet for the RDG? Malaya or something similar. Might get a peachy pink without the price tag of a pad.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElleW|1440520043|3919024 said:
I'd put it in the three stone. I think it looks great in there, and I also feel like it might be too bold of a color for the subtlety of the RDG.

Edit: What about a lighter pink garnet for the RDG? Malaya or something similar. Might get a peachy pink without the price tag of a pad.

Thank you L!! Ah, validation :bigsmile:

I don't have the RDG in-hand (it's across the country with Erika) so part of me wonders if I've just got a needless case of cold feet about the whole thing - this re-set is a one time deal and I have an inexplicable phobia of commitment when it comes to jewellery...

Would a lighter coloured garnet be as prone to browning out indoors as darker garnets? (Is that a garnet thing or a colour thing?)
I'd be open to other colours too - all but very pale blues, chrome diopside greens... and "unexpected alternatives" like faceted opals or conch pearls... but I do always go straight to peachy, so maybe that's a sign I should stop ignoring.

Thoughts on sunstone or tourmaline, too?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A light toned padparadscha-colour spinel.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In reading your initial post, my first reaction was how awesome of you to stop and think of whether it would really fit in the RDG (actually, cough, cough, ahem, I was really thinking of how if it were me, I would not have even thought of it and likely might have gone ahead and shoe-horned it into the RDG). Anyway, I absolutely agree with you: there is something about that zircon that wants a less nuanced, for lack of a better term, bolder, setting. Your three-stone does it very well. You got this, Yssie, your thinking is dead on, imo.

As to the color, yes, a pastel color would look great in the RDG. There is something about light to medium-toned, medium strong saturated pinks, with or without an orange modifier, that look a bit antique-y and subtler so would be perfect with the RDG. For that matter, I could see a lighter toned blue or lavender. I would stay away from garnets, unless you don't mind them turning off and/or browning out in certain lighting situations.

Now does this mean we get to pepper you with stones we think would work? Can we start throwing out pics of stones and driving you crazy? :bigsmile: :devil:

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Some garnets can go peachy-brown, as can some tourmalines. Tourmaline is probably going to be the easiest to find in a larger size. Sunstone isn't a bad idea either. And as Chrono said, spinel is a good one too, but harder to find in a larger size, especially in round.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1440525779|3919057 said:
In reading your initial post, my first reaction was how awesome of you to stop and think of whether it would really fit in the RDG (actually, cough, cough, ahem, I was really thinking of how if it were me, I would not have even thought of it and likely might have gone ahead and shoe-horned it into the RDG). Anyway, I absolutely agree with you: there is something about that zircon that wants a less nuanced, for lack of a better term, bolder, setting. Your three-stone does it very well. You got this, Yssie, your thinking is dead on, imo.

As to the color, yes, a pastel color would look great in the RDG. There is something about light to medium-toned, medium strong saturated pinks, with or without an orange modifier, that look a bit antique-y and subtler so would be perfect with the RDG. For that matter, I could see a lighter toned blue or lavender. I would stay away from garnets, unless you don't mind them turning off and/or browning out in certain lighting situations.

Now does this mean we get to pepper you with stones we think would work? Can we start throwing out pics of stones and driving you crazy? :bigsmile: :devil:

+1 to everything that Minous just said! I agree that there is no way I would have thought about it for longer than 1 second and would have immediately shoved it into the RDG. But now that I see your 3 stone and the RDG, I think the zircon does fit much better in the 3 stone, and that a pink/orange stone sounds great in the RDG. I also think that blue or lavender would look really good--especially if it was a light-ish blue color.

Edited to add the following: I bet a sunstone would look AMAZING in that setting!!! Also a lighter colored tourmaline would be beautiful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1440519734|3919021 said:
So... I had Jeff White cut me a yellow zircon recently. I LOVE this stone!!!

I was going to have Erika Winters set it into my RDG setting, but... well, that's the part I'm asking for thoughts on. At first I was all set to do exactly as planned, but over the past couple of weeks of playing with her loose... I'm having second thoughts about this reset.

I really do love this stone. And I really do love the RDG. I'm just not completely sure I love the idea of pairing them quite so much as I originally did! The zircon is such a bright, bold, BIG stone - big colour, big flash, big dispersion... and the RDG is sorta completely the opposite, all soft lines and muted colours. And then there's the fact that I keep going back to the Ricezo/Niel chrysoberyl three-stone: the cheery yellow works so well in the very simple setting :sun: I really liked the way my zircon looks in my old Butterflies setting with diamond sides - a similar effect.

Am I nutty for re-thinking this plan? Thoughts on putting the zircon into the three-stone? Thoughts on what might be a better fit in terms of "look and feel" for the RDG? I'm always drawn to orangy-pinky stones (a pad sapphire would be my dream, but it'd be completely out of budget even if it was somehow possible to find!!)... are there any other orangy-pink stones that might be possible (in the 8.5-9mm diameter range) with a budget of say $2k, precision-cutting required (proportions-restrictions)?

Egads. CSer opinions would be very welcome!!! Minou, Acinom, Chrono - I hope you see this because you're the ones who told me to take my time thinking about it, so (in my not-at-all-humble opinion) you're pretty much obligated to help me figure out the consequences of taking your advice :bigsmile:

I just wanted to say I also loved how it looked when you were playing with it loose in your butterfly setting

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So does the stone for the RDG need to be round? That may be a foolish question, but it never hurts to ask. Can you do a tourmaline or would you be afraid of knocking it about? Iow, is this a wear a lot kind of ring or an occasional wear one?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono! To be honest I had just assumed spinel would be out of budget... it's heartening to hear you suggest it, as I'd love to consider it a possibility! My only other precision-cut stone is a pink spinel from Gene and it's a sparkly little beauty :love:

Minou - you are a sweetheart ::) I can say with confidence that had I not been forced to take my time (thanks to Erika warning me about her bench's availability) I probably would've done just that without a second thought! But the more sure I am that the Butterflies is the *right* setting for this zircon. They just feel right together.

I agree with you re. pretty much any pinks having a subtler look that would probably fit the RDG better. I can't do lavenders or very pale blues - they just don't work with my skin, but pinks, oranges, anything "warm" or saturated enough to hold its own (brighter blues)...

It does have to be round, because the basket is perfectly round, which I know makes this infinitely more difficult... I know my odds of finding something ready-to-go are very low, so I'll have to budget for precision-cutting as well. I'm okay with that though - that's something I'd want anyway!! I would love to see pictures of stones that you think might work! It would be a special occasion, infrequently-worn piece so softer stones are perfectly okay :))

I just emailed Erika to see if she'd be willing to hold onto the setting for a few more months for me whilst I look for something better suited... I feel bad bothering her, but I trust her bench to do a great job. Fingers are crossed on that front!

L - I'd do fine with "peachy brown", I think. I know I don't like the brown that my rhodolite and andalusite show indoors: it's just "brown", no other modifiers, so I wouldn't want that extreme a shift - especially as this will be primarily a special-occasion indoor ring... I'm liking the idea of sunstone with shiller more and more though!

lovedogs - thank you!!! I'm glad so many PSers agree re. keeping the zircon in the three-stone... it makes me feel a lot less crazy for basically going back to Square One. I wish I could do lavenders or pale blues - I love light blues, especially, by themselves, and I think there would be a lot more options, but they just don't go with my skin at all :(sad

I am finding that I'm gravitating toward peaches and pinks, though, so that's good - it's direction!! I guess this is my official welcome to the world of CSs - where the stone sometimes just doesn't fit the Grand Plan :bigsmile:

Niel - I did too. I keep going back to the chryso three-stone you had made... And putting the zircon in the three-stone a MUCH easier setting job! I could be wearing it in a few days. So - I guess that's my plan, then!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow... Good thinking Yssie! I was so excited about your project that I did not give it a second thought to be honest: your yellow zircon seems to be created for the 3-stone!!! And a soft color would look great in the feminine and flowing design of the RDG setting. Something like these colors? And I agree that a soft 'baby blue' or lavender would also look really nice if it has a pastel quality.
You have a sharp eye for color/style combinations!

_33626.jpg

_33627.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A light orange pink spinel is very doable in the size and budget you want. The only challenge is the round shape so as you surmised, a custom cut is likely. Going with Jeff White might be too expensive but there are many other highly skilled lapidary that are able to do as good a job, in addition to staying within budget. Have you considered a chrysoberyl? The greenish yellow goes well in a YG basket but I don't know if that's a colour you like and can wear well. It is very affordable and when well cut, sparkles like crazy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On dear lord.

Acinom, that first peachy tourmaline is GORGEOUS. That's exactly the colour I go to!! It's pretty much a neutral on me, which I like and think is probably a good thing for this ring...

And it's the PERFECT size, too!! And so affordable! And sold :(sad It probably went in a NY minute - I hope to a PSer!!

But it gives me hope that this is possible!

Chrono - thank you, again! A spinel would definitely be in my list, if the colour is right, and I'm thinking I'm happy to go lighter/paler which may help with pricing (I think saturation is usually coveted, yes?) I did hear back from Erika and she's happy to hold the setting for a while, so now I'm thinking I may sit on this project for a bit and see if my thinking changes yet again - or another stone like that first tourmaline Acinom posted hops out to play...

Chrysoberyl was one of my first preferences for yellow ::) but I'm not a huge fan of the chartreuse stones - they don't work on me, and the vendors I talked to all said that finding non-green chrysoberyl was actually much harder than it seems!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, it may be worth contacting Gene to investigate whether he has more peachy rough. Though I am also getting signals that he is not doing commissioned stones?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1440593205|3919334 said:
Yssie, it may be worth contacting Gene to investigate whether he has more peachy rough. Though I am also getting signals that he is not doing commissioned stones?

The new owner is a PSer! :appl:

I hesitate to reach out to Gene. Normally I wouldn't think twice, but having done so already about the yellow it seems that he really isn't interested in taking on any custom projects, so I don't want to bother him again.

I'll probably reach out to Jeff again first, since he was so easy to work with last time and I love his cutting... But I do think I should sit on this for at least a few days and try to figure out exactly what I actually want!

I'm dropping the zircon off to be set in the three-stone this weekend ::) I feel good about that choice; I think it suits the stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great choice to have the zircon set in the three stone setting. It will be fabulous.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see pics of the zircon in the 3-stone setting. I'm sure it's going to be amazing!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1440593919|3919337 said:
Acinom|1440593205|3919334 said:

The new owner is a PSer! :appl:

I hesitate to reach out to Gene. Normally I wouldn't think twice, but having done so already about the yellow it seems that he really isn't interested in taking on any custom projects, so I don't want to bother him again.

I'll probably reach out to Jeff again first, since he was so easy to work with last time and I love his cutting... But I do think I should sit on this for at least a few days and try to figure out exactly what I actually want!

I'm dropping the zircon off to be set in the three-stone this weekend ::) I feel good about that choice; I think it suits the stone

I'm really looking forward to seeing this I have a stone that I'm considering buying and would do a very similar ring. I'm interested to see how the size looks in that color on the hand.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie: you are smart to take your time on this and ask around. I might just check in with Barry Bridgestock. He just might have something or might just be willing to work with you to cut something. If so, his rounds are some of the most beautiful I have seen and his pricing cannot be beat.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
What a fantastic plan to put the yellow zircon in the butterflies setting! A match made in heaven! I can't wait to see it.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Good choice. :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie: Can I ask the size of the setting in terms of middle and side stones? I am very interested in getting a similar ring, and I love the proportions of yours (the larger middle stone and smaller side stones). Just wondering if you could share that info?

Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... I did reach out to Jeff White. I haven't heard back yet, but if he isn't interested or doesn't feel it'd be feasible I'll contact Barry per your rec Minou - thank you!! Since I'm not in any hurry at all I'm thinking I'll try vendors one by one, and avoid wasting anyone's time ::)

Thanks for your thoughts Acinom, Niel, lovedogs, LovingGems, Rose! I feel good about this choice. It wasn't my original plan, but I really do think it's the better fit! :)) Rose I just realised we'll have quite similar rings now - setting, coloured centers, white sides :bigsmile: Niel you have lovely tastes... I'm very curious about what you're plotting :devil:

lovedogs of course!! My center was 8.9mm and my sides were 4.8mm, and the sides "tucked under" the center a bit (vs. sitting on the same girdle plane like other three-stone styles). Here's my old thread with more pics: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/page-10']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/page-10[/URL]
And here's Rosebloom's - her sides are bigger than mine, proportionally, and work beautifully nicely with her vividly coloured center IMO :sun: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-5ct-blue-sapphire-1-2ctw-diamond-sides-in-wf-butterflies.203673/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-5ct-blue-sapphire-1-2ctw-diamond-sides-in-wf-butterflies.203673/[/URL]

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1440688308|3919869 said:
So... I did reach out to Jeff White. I haven't heard back yet, but if he isn't interested or doesn't feel it'd be feasible I'll contact Barry per your rec Minou - thank you!! Since I'm not in any hurry at all I'm thinking I'll try vendors one by one, and avoid wasting anyone's time ::)

Thanks for your thoughts Acinom, Niel, lovedogs, LovingGems, Rose! I feel good about this choice. It wasn't my original plan, but I really do think it's the better fit! :)) Rose I just realised we'll have quite similar rings now - setting, coloured centers, white sides :bigsmile: Niel you have lovely tastes... I'm very curious about what you're plotting :devil:

lovedogs of course!! My center was 8.9mm and my sides were 4.8mm, and the sides "tucked under" the center a bit (vs. sitting on the same girdle plane like other three-stone styles). Here's my old thread with more pics: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/page-10']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/page-10[/URL]
And here's Rosebloom's - her sides are bigger than mine, proportionally, and work beautifully nicely with her vividly coloured center IMO :sun: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-5ct-blue-sapphire-1-2ctw-diamond-sides-in-wf-butterflies.203673/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-5ct-blue-sapphire-1-2ctw-diamond-sides-in-wf-butterflies.203673/[/URL]

Thanks so much, Yssie! One of my "dream" rings is your 5-stone, but likely it is more realistic to focus on a 3-stone for now :) I just love the proportions!

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the dark (colorful) side! :naughty: :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1440688308|3919869 said:

Sorry for more questions Yssie, I don't mean to thread-jack!! I've been reading up on all of your posts about your 5 stone journey (thrilled for you that you have something you are happy with now BTW! :dance: ), and just wanted to ask whether you ended up going with the 3.3mm size for the smallest ones? Just thinking through proportions and wanted to see what yours were. I wish there was a way to PM so I didn't have to keep interrupting your thread :oops:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Late to the thread, but you decided on what I was going to vote for-the three stone. I think it looked amazing when you had it loose in there.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post photos when you get the three stone back! It looked GREAT sitting in the setting. :bigsmile:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance we get to see the set zircon??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results