shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential First Buy: Interested in thoughts/pricecheck =)

Kwank

Rough_Rock
GIA Cert:

Measures: 6.65-6.69x4.13mm
1.13/G/IF/Excellent (Ideal)
Polish: Excellent
Symm: Excellent
Fluores: Medium Blue (Wanted either Faint/Medium)

Proportions:
57% Table
61.9% Depth
Crown 36.0
Pav Angle 40.6
No Culet
Medium to slightly thick (faceted) 3.5% Girdle

Registers fairly well on HCA. Will be obtaining ASET/IS tomorrow. Thoughts/suggestions so far? Looking for price recs & go/no-go breakers. Thank you much. Beautiful yet intimidating getting to know the intricacies of diamonds!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Potential First Buy: Interested in thoughts/pricecheck

Post when you get the idealscope. I'm withholding until then :).

Kwank

Rough_Rock

Thank you much.

I really like this stone. It's clearly not a sig. ideal cut with these stats, but an ideal cut that exceeds in fire. I'm a little bit worried about the high crown angle, but I'm not going to let it automatically exclude, but I'll pay very close attention to IS/ASET. I think it's an absolutely beautiful diamond otherwise for the budget I'm working with.

Will keep everyone updated. Other constructive feedback welcome as well. Thanks!

Kwank

Rough_Rock

I am working with an online dealer (Easier to stay in budget, but clearly more difficult to verify quality).

They do not readily do I.S. on their warehouse stock, but were willing to provide a photograph. Price is a factor, but I feel like I've demised attributes that get me the best rock for my price line. I just want to make sure that it will optically perform before I pull the trigger.

**Edit: Clearly the lighting within this photograph doesn't match up exactly with the majority of facets, but for what it does, it looks respectable to my knowledge.

_33716.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you need IF clarity?

If you came down to VVS or VS you will save a lot of money, or you will be able to get a bigger and/or more colourless stone :)

Kwank

Rough_Rock

I originally was at VS2 or higher. I slightly compromised size (within reason), along with obtaining one w/ fluorescence. My hopes are that the slight fluorescence would be more of a benefit in terms of the color than risk. So realistically, for a cut of this quality, and the attributes I decided on, I'm only paying a slightly higher increase for the IF clarity. This gives me peace of mind if truly knowing that there won't be a visible inclusion, and still will fair extremely well in any jeweler appraisal. This seems much more desirable than obtaining a slightly higher carat weight, but risking a sloppy central inclusion.

Kwank

Rough_Rock

Anyone else have experience with higher crown angles, but otherwise expected parameters?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

Kwank|1440783866|3920403 said:
Anyone else have experience with higher crown angles, but otherwise expected parameters?
GIA rounds numbers so it could be lower and thus produce a better HCA score. Also AGS says for a 57 table with 36CA and 40.6PA that it falls in their ideal range.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

As Ooh Shiny suggested you could drop down at least 3 whole clarity grades and have no concern about any "sloppy inclusions". Is there a reason you are specifically looking for fluorescence? Here's an overview in case you have not considered all the factors and to make sure it's right for you.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Kwank

Rough_Rock

I definitely believe that you are correct.

However, I felt dealing w/ an online company has it's perks and its downfalls. I figured it's a load off the shoulders to not have to worry about face-up condition, as opposed to having a table inclusion that I'd have to ponder if it's naked-eye apparent when it arrives.

In terms of the fluorescence, I was aiming for Faint or Medium, as this could potentially benefit in helping make the diamond appear slightly more colorless. In addition, the price cut on a fluorescent diamond is very nice, assuming the diamond hopefully won't show as hazy/oily in UV lighting.

I'm essentially aiming for a diamond that behaves as a quality cut. When budgeting/dealing with non-sig ideal cuts, it takes a lot of homework/research to ensure you get as close as possible. I'm hoping that this diamond fulfills that wish. In addition, it's always nice working with a company that ensures a realistic return policy in the event a consumer is not satisfied.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think you would be most unlucky to find an non eyeclean VS1. When buying online you will also have 30 day free return policy (with most PS approved vendors). I think the trade off between thousands of pounds and limited availability in IF diamonds is just not worth it with such a small risk in finding a non eye clean VS1. Additionally you can specify that your vendor examines the diamond and assures you of its eye cleansiness at your definition of eye clean to further reduce that risk.

With a G colour you don't really need flo to help you improve it's colour, it will also be very white. Faint/Medium will also have negligible contribution to 'whitening' and the haziness effect is a rare characteristic among SFB or VS FB, rather than medium or faint.

If I was you I would go to a diamond shopping and request to view as many GIA/AGS VS1 (even VS2 diamonds) as you can and try to see the inclusions. They look much scarier in the upclose videos and pictures than they are in real life. Many SI1s are also eye clean and even SI2s. In essence with the VS category (mainly VS2) you have to be cautious of a central black inclusion. With a great reduction in price you could afford a significant increase in size, and much more availability for finding an ideal proportioned diamond within your budget.

Maybe consider buying from an online vendor that provides high quality pictures and preferably videos. Best of luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results