shape
carat
color
clarity

Random acts of kindness

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So today I went to the deli to get a cup of tea and a guy in a truck turned onto the parking lot right before me, grabbing the first spot that was open. But when I went to go past the spot I noticed that instead of staying there he had actually kept going and moved his truck to the parking space right across it, leaving me the spot (so our cars were now one behind the other).

I didn't say anything to him at the moment but when I walked out of the deli I was going to leave him a little note on his car...just as I was about to step out to do it he was coming out of the deli so I got to say "thank you, that was very nice of you" in person. He was like, "of course."

It's the little things sometimes, you know?

What's something nice that has happened to you lately?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I love the concept of random acts of kindness!!!! Sometimes, I ask my kids to pick a random family in the restaurant we are dining at and we secretly pay their bill. We never stay to see their reaction, but I would hope that it makes their day. The goal is to not just make someone's day, but my hope is that they will pass it on in some way with their own random act of kindness.
You're absolutely right, cj, sometimes it is the little things…. =)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is seriously cool momhappy.

We had a couple pay for our dessert by surprise one time - it was such a nice gesture.

And yes, these kinds of things leave you feeling warm inside. Which makes you want to pass that feeling on to someone else.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It happens often up here where someone will buy a $20 or $50 gift card at tim hortons, and buy all the next peoples orders. Or at the drive thru when the person in front buys the next cars' orders. I always pay it forward when that happens :)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1440702868|3919992 said:
I love the concept of random acts of kindness!!!! Sometimes, I ask my kids to pick a random family in the restaurant we are dining at and we secretly pay their bill. We never stay to see their reaction, but I would hope that it makes their day. The goal is to not just make someone's day, but my hope is that they will pass it on in some way with their own random act of kindness.
I love this!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We try to do it too :) There was a lady at the gas station who liked my wallet (I knitted and felted it) so I decided to give her the other one I had made. She was delighted when I dropped it off a while later (weeks, not hours lol).

When we were in San Diego after the airline had crushed our very expensive stroller bumbleride gave us the cover/replacement parts for free, which were 70$ and would have been covered by the airline, but the fact they took the old off, let me pick a different color, and installed it and we didn't have to mess with a claim was just astounding. We love bumbleride <3 THEN while we were at at the zoo (we had to stop at bumbleride on the way so we could use our stroller, thankfully they happen to have a location near there) a lady walked up (and it was busy, lots of lines) and said she had a membership and the coupons they sent (buy one adult, get one free, and half off full price) which we could use at the same time and GAVE them to us. It was AMAZING-saved us a fortune too. I do stuff like that with coupons and other oddities. Glad to see others are into random acts of kindness too, and can't wait until I can give back more.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
It's been hellish hot here for the last few weeks. So every mailman, UPS delivery guy or any solicitor who shows up at the door gets their choice of ice cold water, soda or ice tea. One kid who was delivering menus in 95 degree weather asked me if he could simply jump into my pool! I told him to go right ahead.

And during the winter I try to provide hot coffee to crews working the streets.

When my friend and I are out for a meal we ALWAYS pick up the tab for uniformed armed service people, anonymously.

eta: I remember during Hurricane Sandy--we had a lot of National Guard members around and people were falling all over themselves to take care of them, bring them food, beverages, warm sweaters and gloves. Made me proud of my community.

I'm more concerned with passing it on than receiving, at this point of my life.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been the recipient of a RAK but doing for others makes me happy. I pay for strangers' groceries, restaurant meals, clothes -- especially if the people appear down on their luck or are elderly or appear ill. I sent money to a breeder to replace a savannah cat for a couple who lost their cats and everything else in a house fire; sent a pet stroller to a retired gentleman who wanted to be able to take his cats for walks. I absolutely love doing this stuff. I've been pretty lucky staying anonymous all these years and that's a big part of the joy for me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1440708341|3920033 said:
momhappy|1440702868|3919992 said:
I love this!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Me too - what a lovely thing to do!! :bigsmile:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love doing RAKs. Even just a small gesture can mean so much to someone. Cold/hot drinks for people delivering packages, a gift card or home cooked meal for someone dealing with a tough situation, insisting an older or injured person take the seat or go ahead in line, etc.
I love to see people smile and go out of my way to make life just a little better even for people I don't know.

There have been a few people in recent months who brought me to tears with their generousity and RAK. Life has been very hard with no income for over a year. The years were not just for the kindness that allowed me to pay to keep the electricity on and a few basics like that, it was that someone had noticed and cared. It gave me hope that we can make it through and life will be okay.

While I still do little things that don't cost anything, I look forward to getting back to doing more. Passing on that hope so that someone else can have the strength to get through.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy said:

We do this too! My boys, 14 and 10, absolutely love to discuss and choose a family. Getting the waitstaff in on it is fun, too. They always light right up with huge smiles. A win for all.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good timing. I am crying as a friend is in need of hearing aids and I can't help. She has been legally deaf since she was little bit can hear with the right hearing aids. She knows what help is out there and just doesn't qualify. This is a situation where, normally, I did jump in and donate quietly either in full or a large part.

She has beautiful one year old twins and has never really gotten to hear them. Very sweet woman always quick to help and slow to ask.

I hope her GoFundMe will get noticed and she can finally hear her babies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results