color
clarity

The NEW August Tahitians sale thread

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: August Tahitians

Thank you everyone!
My husband pointed out that the camera intensifies the colors a bit, and I think he's right. Still, they are very colorful. That blue pearl in front amazes me.

I'll take the camera along this weekend and get a neck shot on my daughter.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I should learn that resistance is futile. :twirl: After looking at the second multi-color ombre strand for the past two weeks, I finally pulled the trigger last night.

I'm using the same excuse (cough, make that "Plan") as Kay, that I can pull it apart to add small gemstone rondelles and make it into a long station necklace that I can wear doubled. :saint: (Yes, Kay, you are a dangerous woman in your own way. ;-) )

In any case, I'm looking forward to getting it and letting the pearls tell me what they want to be. :bigsmile: I found the colors so appealing, especially since there appear to be about 5 pearls in the blue family. And, many of the circle pearls have two color tones, which I think is really cool.

Description - "This fun strand features Tahitian pearls with colors arranged in an ombre pattern. The pearls have drop shapes with circles and have intense and iridescent overtones. This necklace is a true piece of art."

ombre1156.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I broke too. I bought an oval strand as well as a bracelet. They arrived by overnight FedEx last night.

Here's the description and webpage shots:

This unique Tahitian pearl necklace features oval pearls that look round from a distance. The pearls are different shades of green with multicolor overtones, have sharp luster, and gracefully graduates in size from 8.4 to 10.8 mm.

The finished strand will be approximately 18 inches in length, knotted on color-matching silk and finished with your choice of 14-karat clasp.

oval_tahitians_large.jpg

oval_tahitians_close_up.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't happen to have the natural light photos that PP sent me on this computer, but here are the IRL shots of the strand. First ones are in direct light (and my apologies, they just arrived last night so my light options have been limited). The second ones are in diffuse direct light and in my own makeshift light box. Of course Tahitians never really look like they do in the light box, but I find it fun to see how the colours pop under these conditions.

oval_strand_box_front_of_necklace_resized.jpg

ovals_direct_light_short_resized.jpg

oval_strand_diffuse_direct_light_resized.jpg

oval_strand_make_shift_light_box_resized.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

And here's the drop bracelet that I also bought. My plan is to use it as an extender for many of my existing 18 inch strands (which I have to admit that it does a perfect job of...8 inches is the perfect length to be tucked in behind a collar or under my hair, while making the strand 26 inches long). Plus it's beautiful on the wrist too. I don't have glamor shots or a description for this one as they make them custom. So Mia sent me pictures of some strands to choose from, and this is what I chose. I would say that they are probably dark green or dark grey bodies with peacock overtones.

Diffuse direct light:

Direct light:

bracelet_diffuse_direct_light_2_resized.jpg

bracelet_direct_light_resized.jpg

bracelet_direct_light_close_up_resized.jpg

bracelet_direct_light_2_resized.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

And here's the light box:

bracelet_make_shift_light_box_resized.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fly Girl|1440690533|3919884 said:
I should learn that resistance is futile. :twirl: After looking at the second multi-color ombre strand for the past two weeks, I finally pulled the trigger last night.

I'm using the same excuse (cough, make that "Plan") as Kay, that I can pull it apart to add small gemstone rondelles and make it into a long station necklace that I can wear doubled. :saint: (Yes, Kay, you are a dangerous woman in your own way. ;-) )

In any case, I'm looking forward to getting it and letting the pearls tell me what they want to be. :bigsmile: I found the colors so appealing, especially since there appear to be about 5 pearls in the blue family. And, many of the circle pearls have two color tones, which I think is really cool.

Description - "This fun strand features Tahitian pearls with colors arranged in an ombre pattern. The pearls have drop shapes with circles and have intense and iridescent overtones. This necklace is a true piece of art."

Fly Girl, that is a fantastic strand! I think it will be gorgeous as a gemstone station necklace! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock

Fly Girl and CMD, those are gorgeous choices! :clap: :clap: :clap:

fly Girl, I love the colours in the ombre strand. It will be such a pretty addition to your collection. I can't wait for IRL shots.

Cmd, those ovals are beautiful and look exquisite on your skin tone. It is so luminous, too. The bracelet idea is smart. I think you did very well.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Thank you, Tucs and cmd.

Gorgeous strand, cmd. Really, they look plenty round to me. And, if I look really, really close at my multi-color round Tahitian strand, a number of the pearls are actually oval.

You found an empty niche in your collection and filled it beautifully.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock

Pearlsngems, Your Daughter is so lucky you have good taste, so pretty! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Flygirl, Such an interesting strand, I am interested to see the lighter pearls and how they look IRL. I know you will post neck shots. :appl: :appl: :appl:

cmd2014, I love the ovals (they look round) and the deep body with the rainbow colors popping that blue pearl is fab! I will have to steel your double duty bracelet idea for longer look on shorter strands, all your new pearls are so pretty in your light box shots. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thanks ladies for the visual candy!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks everyone! I feel like I did very well too. I have to admit that I chose the strand based primarily on shape and I have to say that they look very round in person as well. It's only when you look quite closely that you realize that they are slightly oval, or that a few of the smaller ones near the back are a smidge off shape. The luster and colours really pop in person too. They really are round to the eye at conversational distance.

And Fly Girl, I do believe that I found a gap in my wardrobe and filled it! And at an angelic price point too, all things considered. :devil: :halo:

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock

Beautiful Tahitians everyone! CMD that strand is so pretty; I like it much better IRL than the PP photos :)
Pearlsngems, what a gorgeous strand of colors ... a lucky daughter indeed!
Fly Girl, I've been dreaming of ombre Tahitians intersperced with ombre gemstones since I passed up the first ombre strand, with REGRETS ... wonder if Walter would buy the "raw materials" logic LOL? You strand is lovely; can't wait to see it (and Kay's) come to life!!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cmd2014, those really do look round on your neck! A very pretty strand.
Thanks to all for the eye candy!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock

cmd2014, I for one would love to see, and I am sure other pearlies would like to see how your bracelets works with the shorter strands, post pic when you can!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Pearlsngems, thanks for sharing pictures of that stunning strand! Your Daughter is so lucky - are you sure that you don't want that for yourself? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

cmd2014, The ovals look round on you! Love your light box photos. Like everyone, I too will be very interested in seeing the bracelet doubling as an extender.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

BWeaves|1440638691|3919681 said:
Did anyone buy one of the 35" ropes of silver baroque Tahitians?

I was tempted, but I find that Tahitians never look like the photo, which is not the fault of the shop. They just seem to be very hard to capture what they look like in real life, as lighting can be so different. Well, that, and I decided to see what the Sept. sale will bring.

I got one and am wearing it today. Mine is silver body with light pink/green overtone. Very hard to picture. At first I was not sure about it, but in fact it is the strand I wore the most in the past few weeks. ;)) I guess it is a keeper

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

yingh|1440772081|3920323 said:
Pearlsngems, thanks for sharing pictures of that stunning strand! Your Daughter is so lucky - are you sure that you don't want that for yourself? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

It's hard to imagine her not liking the strand, but I'm never completely sure about gifts I choose for her-- she isn't me, you know? Her tastes are very different from mine and they tend to run toward non-jewelry items: music, electronics, shoes, nail polish. Her next planned purchase is the new iPhone that will be released soon.

So this is a gamble, but I presented it as a fashion staple-- a versatile, functional wardrobe item for her adult life and future career. Pearls are always correct, and Tahitians are especially chic. I think she "gets" that, and she has borrowed my pearls for events before, when her outfit called for them. She was happy when I gave her my Freshadama strand (but I hardly ever see it on her! :wall: ) So I'm still a bit anxious, and will feel better about it after I show them to her and see her reaction-- hopefully an enthusiastic one! :pray:

If her reaction is lukewarm/polite, I guess I will have to offer the choice of something else for her birthday (and it's for her 20th birthday after all, this December-- not next.) We can't impose our tastes on our kids, after all.

But I wouldn't send them back. They are not a bit too small and the colors and luster are beautiful. Sure, I would love to wear them!
But I already have 2 Tahitian strands I love and wear often. These, I really want to see on her neck! :))

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearlsngems|1440776774|3920355 said:
So I'm still a bit anxious, and will feel better about it after I show them to her and see her reaction-- hopefully an enthusiastic one!

It's hard to imagine her not loving them, but I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!! You'll have to report back.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

yingh|1440772265|3920326 said:
BWeaves|1440638691|3919681 said:
Did anyone buy one of the 35" ropes of silver baroque Tahitians?

I was tempted, but I find that Tahitians never look like the photo, which is not the fault of the shop. They just seem to be very hard to capture what they look like in real life, as lighting can be so different. Well, that, and I decided to see what the Sept. sale will bring.

I got one and am wearing it today. Mine is silver body with light pink/green overtone. Very hard to picture. At first I was not sure about it, but in fact it is the strand I wore the most in the past few weeks. ;)) I guess it is a keeper

Can you try to post a picture? I've been so curious!!!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, I've taken some pictures of how my bracelet ends up looking as an enhancer. But I can't take credit at all for the idea...it was an idea that I got here from Fly Girl, 4 Ranch Girl, Pkinnew, and others here who have matching strands and bracelets and integrate them into making their jewelry as flexible as possible.

So here is my strand when it is short (the light is not the best as it was overcast, but I tried to take the shots from a similar angle so that people can get a sense of scale):

Here is the same strand with the bracelet added at the back. I got an 8 inch bracelet so it turns the 18 inch strand into a 26 inch one. I have pinned my hair up so that people can see where the clasps fall, but with a collared shirt or jacket, or even with my hair down the clasps and the back of the strand is covered.

fullsizerender__0000000e_.jpg

fullsizerender__00000005_.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, here is what it looks like when you take 2 18-inch strands and clip them together with the bracelet (this is my multi colour strand from Ashley at PP on the bottom, and my blue green body Tahitian strand from PP's sale last year as the inner strand). I put the bracelet at the back, and nested the strands so that the larger pearls were at the bottom and each side has larger pearls going up the sides. It's not as classic as you would get if you deliberately made a rope designed to nest as a double strand, but no-one but a pearl person looking close is likely to notice. With this, the clasps still end up towards the back, and would probably be covered by my hair if it was down, or a collar.

Here's where the clasps fall:

This arrangement is quite heavy and makes me wonder if my neck would be happy if I were to get a triple length multicolour rope in the future (inspired by 4RG's birthday strand). I might need to go for smaller pearls if I were to go that route. It looks really pretty IRL though (it's hard to take a selfie of a longer strand).

fullsizerender__00000010_.jpg

fullsizerender__00000012_.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

And for some more eye candy:

Box shot in diffuse direct light:

Shot of all three strands together.

Best close up of the oval strand:

fullsizerender__00000004_.jpg

fullsizerender__00000007_.jpg

fullsizerender__00000015_.jpg

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock

Cmd, those are awesome looks on you. I love the two strands on the longer format, but also the one strand with the bracelet.

Thanks for all the photos (and the eye candy!), that is such a good idea with the two long strands; I hadn't thought of that (not that relevant for me now, as I only have one Tahitian strand at the moment, but anyway).

fel

Shiny_Rock

I agree with the previous poster that it is practically impossible to judge tahitians from online pictures, especially when the pictures are not taken next to someone's skin.

However, I just purchased an August Tahitian strand from PP at the tail end of the sale, and wonder what you all think. It is TDN-1167, and for a while I was deliberating between that one and 1129. I am seeking a multicolor with bright colors -- as bright as I can get at a non-round price point. According to a support person at PP, 1167 had better color. Thoughts? Is there a strand I missed that I should have considered?

https://www.pearlparadise.com/p-5196-86-112-mm-aaaaa-multicolor-tahitian-drop-pearl-necklace.aspx

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

fel,

I love that one! I would have picked it for myself if I hadn't bought a multicolour strand last year. I think you got good advise looking at the other strand you were looking at. It was lovely too, but not nearly as colourful as the one you bought.

Just as a head's up, it won't look multicoloured in the box. It will look like a uniform shade of grey. It's not until it's on the neck that the colours pop. Plus, you will see the multi colours more in diffuse light than in direct sunlight. Tahitians have a way of looking gunmetal grey in direct light, while popping with colour in dim light.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

I love the longer strand and double strand look on you cmd.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Thanks ladies for posting such fabulous eye candy. I sat this sale out but I've enjoyed seeing what you've all purchased. :appl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

fel|1440834520|3920682 said:
Thanks for your comments CMD. I keep second guessing that 1129 one.

btw: here's te link to 1129.

https://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4881-18-inch-82-109-mm-aaa-tahitian-drop-pearl-necklace.aspx
I like your choice of 1167 for getting more color. I think the only reason it was still there was the one circle pearl that shows up in the center of the close up photo. In real life I'm sure it is colorful and the shape will not be an issue. I think that you would find 1129 to be fairly uniform in color in many lighting conditions.It is a gorgeous necklace as well with beautiful drop shapes.

fel

Shiny_Rock

Thanks I will send pictures when I get them. All your beautiful pictures in this thread are what inspired me to take a closer look at the sale, even though I have been on the mailing list for years.

CMD I just adore your strand above and versatility of adding the bracelet. I'll have to think about how that can be done for my strand in the future -- maybe with a smaller pearl bracelet to reduce weight. I used to wear a heavy Chinese turquoise opera length necklace and I really don't feel comfortable with that kind of weight anymore.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results