clarity

What are your favorite / go-to snacks?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Healthy AND naughty! :rodent:

For me...

Healthy:

1. PB with any type of fruit...banana, apple, pear...
2. Plain Greek yogurt with cut up fruit, a dash of vanilla extract, some grape nuts, a couple of raisins and walnuts
3. 2% cottage cheese with cut up fruit
4. carrots
5. Fruit of any kind
6. Almonds with raisins
7. Cup of tea, dash of milk, no sugar
8. 1 slice of cheese (baby swiss my fave)

Naughty:

1. Cookies - I like almost all the ones by Goya - the ones in the Green package and also the Maria cookies. I could eat (and have) eat a whole package in one sitting.

Really naughty:

(although I only do this on the weekend)

1. Dots
2. Goobers

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Cheese and crackers (cheddar or brie)
Popcorn
Leftovers (cold chicken from fridge)
Root Vegetable Chips (Terra)

I'm a a big snacker, but when I do, I prefer savory snacks. I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are your portions controlled, jaysonsmom?

Like when I say "almonds and raisins" I mean 7-10 almonds and 7-10 raisins.

I could eat tons more, but then they'd fall into the naughty category. :/

ETA: oh, and yes, I love chips! I'll add those to the naughty list (although again, if I control the portion and it's not a ton I consider it OK as long as I'm not snacking on chips every day).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. La panzanella mini whole wheat croccatini crackers. Super dry and just enough salt. 100 calories for 6 crackers. So good and filling.
2. Mini Fuji apples
3. Boiled egg
4. Granny Smith Apple
5. Dubliner aged white cheddar
6. Plain oatmeal with fruit in season
7. Peanut butter when I'm bad
8. Skinny pop

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh!

Forgot rice cakes - the plain ones.

Although I have to be really careful with crackers and even rice cakes (that's why I'm not even going to look up your croccatini crackers LLJsmom - they sound delicious - but I can totally overdo the carbs if I snack on crackers because I easily go overboard - unless they're not too bad on carbs?)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything salty, like nuts, crisps, pork scratching, instant noodle, cured meat, popcorn etc...

DK :))

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Afternoon snack - just one, not all three at once:
Smitten apples (crisp like Gala but with a better flavor). They fill me up and give me energy for hours.
Those new Nature Valley Nut Crisp bars are pretty tasty. Carbs are decent: 11 per bar.
Spoonful of peanut butter.

If it's an after dinner snack:
Ice cream or watermelon
In the winter, I like hot tea or hot chocolate instead of a "food" item.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I love Quest nutrition products--powder and bars… if it's just for a light snack, I usually just have half a bar, but I have a whole one after a hard workout. Recently my favorites are cinnamon roll and vanilla almond crunch. They're super convenient cuz I can keep a couple in my handbag. I like the powder best blended with half a frozen banana and almond milk, but it's palatable in a blender bottle with water.

Some of my other favorites are:
*Trader Joe's salt and pepper rice chips (usually with a laughing cow cheese or some hummus)
*Trader Joe's reduced guilt kettle corn (comes in individual 110 calorie packages, which is handy)
*a slice of toast with low-fat cottage cheese
*at work I try to bring a tupperware filled with assorted cut up veggies (carrots, bell peppers, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, etc) If I feel like snacking, but I'm not hungry I can crunch on a whole tub for, like, 50 calories.
*Honeycrisp apples (they're back in season soon! :)
*Trader Joe's creamy tomato soup--a big 2-cup mug-full is only 200 calories
*Sesame nori (roasted seaweed snack)--only 50 calories!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, great topic CJ! As a calorie counter who loves to eat, I always want to know what others are snacking on and want ideas for what I'm gonna eat next! =)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1440625378|3919571 said:
Are your portions controlled, jaysonsmom?

Like when I say "almonds and raisins" I mean 7-10 almonds and 7-10 raisins.

I could eat tons more, but then they'd fall into the naughty category. :/

ETA: oh, and yes, I love chips! I'll add those to the naughty list (although again, if I control the portion and it's not a ton I consider it OK as long as I'm not snacking on chips every day).

I re-read my post, and I meant to say i'm NOT a big snacker, but it is too late to edit my post. I don't portion control, no. I would say I tend to eat more than I need to when I snack...and sometimes that leads to skipping the next meal, so calorie-wise it all balances out.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
tuffyluvr|1440631321|3919613 said:
By the way, great topic CJ! As a calorie counter who loves to eat, I always want to know what others are snacking on and want ideas for what I'm gonna eat next! =)

I love hummus with sliced cucumber (instead of pita chips). I think it's a pretty healthy snack .

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mega peanut m&m's. :shifty:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like fruit with cottage cheese (I get the cottage cheese with probiotics, dunno if it really makes a difference but I feel like that one is better lol), fruit in general (tuffyluvr mentioned honeycrisp apples and YES), some veggies, cheese and crackers (I like pretty much any kind of rosemary cracker), rice (you know those microwaveable packets of rice that you don't need to boil or anything?), various granola bar things, cheez-its, goldfish snack crackers, teddy grahams, and most of all Lays barbecue chips (which I usually only eat when I am really stressed out).

I don't do any portion controlling because I don't do that in general. We'll see what happens as I get older but right now it's not necessary for me. I eat until I'm nearly full and then I stop.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jif Creamy Peanut Butter on a spoon, banana, apple or cracker.
Goober Grape mostly from the spoon
Dark Chocolate Kisses

A big glass of red wine. Mostly cabs :devil:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go-to snack: yogurt between lunch and dinner.

Favorite snack! Ben and jerrys ice cream after dinner, Tate's chocolate chip cookies. Trader joes ridged sea salt kettle chips win trader joes caramelized onion dip, Japanese rice cracker with the cheese in the middle... I ate a whole package the other night and the name escapes me...

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1440643008|3919710 said:
Go-to snack: yogurt between lunch and dinner.

Favorite snack! Ben and jerrys ice cream after dinner, Tate's chocolate chip cookies. Trader joes ridged sea salt kettle chips win trader joes caramelized onion dip, Japanese rice cracker with the cheese in the middle... I ate a whole package the other night and the name escapes me...

For some reason this topic made me think 'HEALTHY SNACKS'… not sure why I got that in my head, because it doesn't say it anywhere…. But if we're going crazy, I love the Trader Joe's ridged kettle chips too… Have you had their dark chocolate covered kettle chips? O.M.G. I also love their chocolate covered pretzels, brownie crisp cookie things and last but not least, the HOLY GRAIL of my junk food habit: Speculoos (aka cookie butter). Regular, Cocoa Swirl, and my personal fave: Cookies and Cream. Frickin' yum. I will use pretty much anything as a vehicle for eating cookie butter: chips/crackers/pretzles, ice cream, cookies, etc. The only problem is having the willpower not to eat the whole d@nm thing in a day!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
....Is pork jerky a healthy snack? :whistle:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1440676055|3919787 said:
....Is pork jerky a healthy snack? :whistle:
The kind with the sticky sweet coating? Absolutely!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Me, too, tuffyluvr!

I'm not a calorie counter in the sense I don't literally count - but I do watch my portions, watch my carbs, make sure I always eat some protein with each meal, and I eat clean during the week. I love to eat too. I let go a little - well, sometimes a lot/too much, depending on how stressed out I am - on the weekend.

So I am also always interested in new ideas for how to make snacks that are satisfying yet healthy.

P.S.: This thread *IS* about both HEALTHY and NAUGHTY snacks! (look all the way at my OP, it's the first sentence).

(I have to still look through everyone's lists for new good and new yummy treats!)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have discovered cookie butter, and I'm in love. I literally put it on everything, it makes anything taste good :D
SpeculoosCrunchyCookieButter2.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almonds
90 calorie fibre brownies
handful of croutons
potato chips with cream cheese (really bad)
hummus with multigrain chips
not a big fruit eater but fresh pineapple if I've got it!

I usually crave salt over sweet stuff.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I have fresh Bluefin Tuna then I snack on that like a rabid animal until I make myself sick lol. I usually cut it into slices, put it in a lemon/lime juice mix, serve with soy sauce and wasabi. GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY!!

Homemade guacamole and ham slices on crackers is another one that's healthier that I also make from time to time.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1440690523|3919883 said:
If I have fresh Bluefin Tuna then I snack on that like a rabid animal until I make myself sick lol. I usually cut it into slices, put it in a lemon/lime juice mix, serve with soy sauce and wasabi. GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY!!

Homemade guacamole and ham slices on crackers is another one that's healthier that I also make from time to time.

Missy, oh MISSY!!!!! Bluefish tuna, another fan just like you and your DH!!!!

Jordy, are you an Aussi or Kiwi? Trying to get a bead on where you are acquiring said Bluefish Tuna!!!!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
azstonie,

I am an Aussie boy with a kiwi father :lol: Born and raised in Sydney but currently residing in Melbourne. About 4 hours drive from my house is Australia's #1 recreational Bluefin tuna fishery, so I have mates constantly going and bringing me fresh, high grade Sashimi if I can't make it myself. A mate came back from there on Monday with a 270lb fish that took him 3 hours to battle to the boat, I have some at home waiting for me for when I get home from work for me to snack on :D
I also made a thread recently with the story of my father going out with a few potential work clients and catching $20k of Bluefin tuna in a day, he's got work coming out his ears right now and a fridge full of tuna. I should have gone for a 700 mile drive to raid his fridge and freezer :roll:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1440633081|3919629 said:

I love hummus with sliced cucumber (instead of pita chips). I think it's a pretty healthy snack .

Love this idea jaysonsmom!

What are some good (simple ingredients) and tasty hummus brands?

I find that it all evens out for the most part as long as I don't seriously overdo it on any one snack or meal.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1440638238|3919679 said:
I like fruit with cottage cheese (I get the cottage cheese with probiotics, dunno if it really makes a difference but I feel like that one is better lol), fruit in general (tuffyluvr mentioned honeycrisp apples and YES), some veggies, cheese and crackers (I like pretty much any kind of rosemary cracker), rice (you know those microwaveable packets of rice that you don't need to boil or anything?), various granola bar things, cheez-its, goldfish snack crackers, teddy grahams, and most of all Lays barbecue chips (which I usually only eat when I am really stressed out).

I don't do any portion controlling because I don't do that in general. We'll see what happens as I get older but right now it's not necessary for me. I eat until I'm nearly full and then I stop.

What brand do you get that has probiotics? Never seen it. I get the Friendship brand because (if I remember correctly) it has simple ingredients and the least amount of sodium.

I also overeat when I'm stressed out - my medicine is usually cookies though.

ETA: oh, as far as portion control listening to your body you're already ahead of the game than most people...I find that I never used to have to worry too much when I was in my 20s even my 30s...but now, I really do look best when I have some kind of control over how much I eat. I notice a good difference in my body when I limit my carb intake.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1440690089|3919879 said:
Almonds
90 calorie fibre brownies
handful of croutons
potato chips with cream cheese (really bad)
hummus with multigrain chips
not a big fruit eater but fresh pineapple if I've got it!

I usually crave salt over sweet stuff.

Ooohh Fiber brownies - those sound good - where do you get them?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1440690523|3919883 said:

Love Bluefin tuna...although I'd never think to "snack" on it - would be more of a meal for me.

I haven't made homemade guacamole in ages - but it is soooo sooo good. Some restaurants make it really good tableside right in front of you - we love that too (haven't had Mexican food in ages though)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1440657380|3919752 said:
For some reason this topic made me think 'HEALTHY SNACKS'… not sure why I got that in my head, because it doesn't say it anywhere…. But if we're going crazy, I love the Trader Joe's ridged kettle chips too… Have you had their dark chocolate covered kettle chips? O.M.G. I also love their chocolate covered pretzels, brownie crisp cookie things and last but not least, the HOLY GRAIL of my junk food habit: Speculoos (aka cookie butter). Regular, Cocoa Swirl, and my personal fave: Cookies and Cream. Frickin' yum. I will use pretty much anything as a vehicle for eating cookie butter: chips/crackers/pretzles, ice cream, cookies, etc. The only problem is having the willpower not to eat the whole d@nm thing in a day!

:wavey: :wavey: tuffyluvr! I love their chocolate covered pretzels and discovered last night chocolate covered pretzel thins. Can't wait to break them open! When I used to work in an office, the exec admin used to give me a spoonful of cookie butter as a snack! :lol: :lol: :lol: it was comforting because it reminded me of being four years old and my mo. Handing me a spoonful of peanut butter.

They also had cookie butter ice cream, but I didn't get any because I already have Ben and jerrys speculoos ice cream in the freezer.

And OP CJ2008 thank you for starting this thread because I clearly see why my weight loss has plateaud. :-o :errrr: lololol...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1440685719|3919841 said:
I have discovered cookie butter, and I'm in love. I literally put it on everything, it makes anything taste good :D

In the fall/winter they had cookie butter cheesecake! It was such a good price, like $5.99 ...definitely less than $10! It was just too perfect a cheesecake flavor!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results