color
clarity

Woman accidentally leaves $35k worth of jewelry in cab

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Do we think her story is true?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmn, I have my doubts but it sure makes for a creative insurance claim. I'm wondering now though because there is another article that says $20k rather than the original $35k :liar:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of people don't have insurance. So it would be interesting to know if she does. However, I surely wouldn't have had all my jewelry in a bag in the trunk of a taxi. I would have been wearing my wedding set.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... At what point do you sell some of your tens of thousands of dollars in jewellery to stop couch-surfing?

Yeah, I'm Judgy McJudgeroo this morning.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
yssie said:
So... At what point do you sell some of your tens of thousands of dollars in jewellery to stop couch-surfing?

I thought exactly the same thing. Hmmm......

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1440481538|3918856 said:
A lot of people don't have insurance. So it would be interesting to know if she does. However, I surely wouldn't have had all my jewelry in a bag in the trunk of a taxi. I would have been wearing my wedding set.

I agree. I would be curious to kmow about insurance also. It's strange that you wouldn't be wearing it or have it on. :confused:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1440511670|3918957 said:

I think that's why it caught my attention. The whole thing seems so odd! :rolleyes:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to everyone for their comments. :wavey:

Hopefully I will be able to start more threads now that I learned how to do the first one! :lol: :appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That article raises more questions than it answers. all I know if my most precious belonging were being moved in such a fashion, they would be on my lap or even handcuffed to me! Also if she is engaged, why is she couch surfing? Why is her green card not in her wallet? I'm not saying it isn't true, just very odd circumstances. If I were truly couch surfing with friends and acquantinces and moving from place to place by taxi, I would store my valuables somewhere safe like in a safety deposit not, schlepping them around.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I am the type who would not have it on while moving, HOWEVER, that would not be in a taxi trunk, that would be ON me, in my purse, most likely, across my body, OR at the bank if necessary in a safe deposit box.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1440511670|3918957 said:

I'm hopping on the Judge Train myself. Although, in a fire I plan to save my pup, jewels, and hub in that order! Priorities, I guess. :rolleyes:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I would guess she's no longer married, and the wedding ring and engagement ring are assets, or sentimental, or whatever. Maybe she was going to have the diamonds reset, etc.

Nevertheless, I would have held onto the jewelry at least as much as I held onto my purse. Or, had the rings inside my purse. It's not like jewelry takes up a lot of room.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I'm feeling judgey about this too… couch surfing with tens of thousands of dollars in jewelry?!?! I love my jewels, but I would never choose my jewelry over an apartment. You better believe that stuff would be hocked as soon as I needed a deposit. I understand the sentimental attachment, but I would feel much worse about being a couch-surfing houseguest!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's only been couch surfing for a few weeks, probably since the beginning of the month. Seems like she's without an apartment due to the break-up of her marriage -- and she has been a self-employed artist who has not made it big, so unlikely to have ready reserves of cash. Plus, without a good rent guarantor, it would be exceedingly difficult to find a landlord or stranger roommates willing to rent her an apt, even if she could find an ok place in NYC's tight and high-priced rental market & had already hocked the ring. And if she's seriously considering leaving NYC, it wouldn't make sense to make a rental commitment at this point.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Around here, potential tenants need to show a prior year's tax return. It's brutal.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone|1440636212|3919658 said:
She's only been couch surfing for a few weeks, probably since the beginning of the month. Seems like she's without an apartment due to the break-up of her marriage -- and she has been a self-employed artist who has not made it big, so unlikely to have ready reserves of cash. Plus, without a good rent guarantor, it would be exceedingly difficult to find a landlord or stranger roommates willing to rent her an apt, even if she could find an ok place in NYC's tight and high-priced rental market & had already hocked the ring. And if she's seriously considering leaving NYC, it wouldn't make sense to make a rental commitment at this point.

Ahhh, I didn't get that from the article. Makes a lot more sense now. I wonder if she got it back??? Has anyone heard an update?

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1440636539|3919663 said:
Around here, potential tenants need to show a prior year's tax return. It's brutal.

Yeah, not much better here on the West Coast… the bottom photo is sadly close to what you get for $3k/mo in a good neighborhood. And good neighborhoods definitely have houses like that. So you basically pay all the money you have for a pile of junk AND you get to sit in traffic for hours each day. :wall:

img_3803.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results