shape
carat
color
clarity

My Pirate themed wedding (Pics inside!!)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey everyone :wavey:

In a few threads recently I have described some of the themes and stuff we had at our wedding so I'm making this thread to post some pics from it since a few people wanted to see pics of our pirates outfits.

A bit of background; I'm a bit of a quirky guy who is into his fishing, martial arts and heavy metal music and my wife also loves heavy metal and art - we've always felt that we've been a bit of an odd couple (but in a good way obviously). So when we decided to get married we felt like we couldn't just have a regular wedding, we had to go crazy with it. It started off with the idea of getting married on Friday the 13th and kind of developed from there. It started off being a color-themed wedding of black, red and grey and kind of took off from there. Some of the cool things we had were:

- As I stated Pirate outfits for me, the best man and groomsman. The page boy was also a little pirate! :lol:
- My wife wore a red, pirate wenchy dress
- At a pretty nice little castle venue for our 80 guests that felt almost piratey inside
- A sword to cut our cake
- fairy light centrepieces to match the fairy light roof
- A frozen daiquiri machine free for all guests

We did it all for about $15k, which in $USD would probably be more like $10k due to how expensive Australia's cost of living is. Most of it we did ourselves and we had so many great remarks from the guests, the venue owner, family etc. Everyone had an absolute blast and there were plenty of sore heads the next day!

_33586.jpg

bm_me.jpg

gm_me.jpg

_33587.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sweet! I'm glad you made it your own! :appl: Was there any peeps/complaints about the theme from either set of parents? Or did they get on board (so to speak).

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like you had a blast! Wish I had been there!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nicely done, you guys looked great.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What fun! Looks like a good time!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! Love the theme down to the little pirate. Looks like everyone had a great time.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the kind comments guys!

Part gypsy, everyone from my wife's side was onboard except for her grandparents at first, but only because they're superstitious and didn't do anything on Friday the 13th. We managed to get them to come around on that. On my side we had a bit of resistance from my mother, but only because she is insanely tight with her money and thought we should just go down to the registry, sign some paperwork and have dinner together to celebrate getting married. While we didn't want a traditional wedding, we didn't exactly want that either lol. As far as resistance goes to the ideas and themes to the wedding, everyone was very supportive.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YASSSSS THE THREAD I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR

Your wedding looks absolutely spectacular!! You and your wife look amazing - I love the colorful dress rather than white. This looks like a wedding I would have loved to attend.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
How fun!!!! Looks like a fantastic party!!

After all the talk of disapproval and wedding themes in my thread about the 2 week long cruise wedding/7th ring of hell themed wedding I got to thinking about our own wedding. We originally rented out a place called the "Hicksville Trailer Palace" for our wedding. We planned on having a kitschy theme, but my MIL put up some opposition. She didn't want to tell people her son was getting married at a "trailer park". We wanted her to be happy and comfortable so we rented another venue and went a more traditional route. We still stayed at the trailer park with our 25 closest friends and siblings, and it was so much fun! We went with a desert theme and did everything outside with Boulder formations and Joshua trees as our backdrop.

http://www.hicksville.com

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Jordy, thank you for sharing your wedding with us. I was so excited when I saw your thread this morning! :appl: The venue looks amazing! I absolutely love the fact that you had the wedding that suited both of you. The pirate outfits are fantastic and the little page boy is adorable! :clap: How cool to use the sword for the cake & also to have free frozen drinks for the guests. Sounds like a blast! Out of curiosity, did you or friends play at the wedding or did you leave the music to someone else since it was your special day? Last but not least, your wife is gorgeous in her red wedding dress and bouquet! Well done! :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, it looks like your wedding was really fun jordy! :dance: You look very dashing and your wife looks gorgeous! The venue is the perfect backdrop to your themed wedding. Thanks for sharing pics of such a special day with us!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks again for the kind comments guys, tuffyluvr you should do a thread with pics from yours - maybe someone should make a themed wedding pics thread (unless it's already been done)?
The venue was quite well suited to our dark theme indeed! To be honest it wasn't so much pirate themed as it was a Friday the 13th fantasy wedding, but it ended up getting known as a pirate wedding :lol: my wife's uncle has his daughter's wedding coming up and recently he was caught saying 'Oh yeah, it should be nice...but it won't be anywhere near as good as the Pirate wedding'

Rockinruby|1440436569|3918572 said:
Jordy, thank you for sharing your wedding with us. I was so excited when I saw your thread this morning! :appl: The venue looks amazing! I absolutely love the fact that you had the wedding that suited both of you. The pirate outfits are fantastic and the little page boy is adorable! :clap: How cool to use the sword for the cake & also to have free frozen drinks for the guests. Sounds like a blast! Out of curiosity, did you or friends play at the wedding or did you leave the music to someone else since it was your special day? Last but not least, your wife is gorgeous in her red wedding dress and bouquet! Well done! :appl:

Unfortunately we did not have a live band, we were tight with our budget and just couldn't afford it. I'm sure that I could have gotten one of my former associate bands in the heavy metal scene to play (I say former as I was recently was fired from my band for being too melodic with my music writing), however not all of our wedding guests love heavy metal music like me, my wife and most of my friends at the wedding :lol:
We did have a DJ and he was playing some great rock music; Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Black Sabbath, ACDC, GnR etc, a lot of the classic rock anthems basically. Having 80 people up on their feet, bouncing aroundand screaming the words to Enter Sandman will be something I won't forget for a while either!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, how fun! Congratulations!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh how awesome!! That looks like it was a blast-definitely my kinda people!

I officiated a cousin's wedding this past Saturday and they had a friend w/his electric guitar hooked up outside under one of the shelter houses (we were at a park), and one of the songs he was playing while I was walking to my spot to "hide" w/everyone else along a trail was Enter Sandman!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tricorn hats off to you for thinking outside the box! You all looked great.
Did you have the costumes custom made? You looked very much the buccaneer!
"Regular" weddings are so boring........

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Jordy, I think the DJ sounds pretty awesome! Great choices for music too! :clap:

Sorry to hear about your band situation. Maybe it will give you a better opportunity to do your own thing now. :dance:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! You and Mrs. are awesome!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is AWESOME.

I'm a huge fan of not taking myself too seriously and your wedding is just that while keeping it special.

Your wife looks gorgeous in her red gown and you look quite dapper in your pirate attire.

Thank you so much for sharing!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is SO cool you all look amazing!!!! I've been wanting to ask are you fighting over a fish in your new avatar? It's so small you can't make out the details properly so it kinda looks like you are pashing a cat :lol:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stracci, no they were costume rentals. But they were handmade costumes worth a lot of money though, so they weren't cheap by any means!

Rockinruby, no biggy with the band. I'm kind of happy to be relieved of the stress that is the vocalist :lol:

hahaha arkieb no it's actually a piece of lamb, I've got one end in my mouth and he has the other. I took it as a bit of a joke to loook like we're fighting over food, I didn't realise it looked like I am pashing the cat :oops: might have to change it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this Jordy!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Great wedding and beautiful bride and groom! So much fun! That is the way a wedding should be. Fun! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy, Your wedding looks like it was a great time for everyone. What wonderful memories you made for everyone! It also seems as though it was less stressful than so many of the weddings you see today where everything is expected to be perfect. I often wonder if some of these brides even enjoy their wedding as all the focus is put on perfection instead of having fun with your loved one, family members and friends. I loved seeing your pictures! Thank you for sharing them. Your wife is beautuful!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is fabulous! I truly love anything that is just "doing you"! I'm not someone who really takes others' opinions into account very much in my day to day life but my goodness was it hard to ignore all the background noise of opinions when we were planning our wedding!

Good for you! It looks like it was a really great time!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool :D

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
puppmom|1440523789|3919049 said:
This is fabulous! I truly love anything that is just "doing you"! I'm not someone who really takes others' opinions into account very much in my day to day life but my goodness was it hard to ignore all the background noise of opinions when we were planning our wedding!

Good for you! It looks like it was a really great time!

That's kind of where the whole Pirate outfit thing came from, in the last 10 years the only time I have worn suits was for work or job interviews, other than that you will not get me in one. So when my wife asked what the boys and I were going to wear I jokingly said 'Pirate suits'. But the more we thought about it the more it made sense: we all drink rum, we get out on the ocean on my boat to go tangle with what many would think are sea monsters and I am always the captain on the boat/ship :lol:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy! Loved your wedding theme and just everything about it! Wish I'd been there!!!! :wavey: :sun:

My DH and I bought this flag in San Diego and we love it, we hang it on all holidays in our conservative right-wing neighborhood, bwahahahaha, and even though our adult neighbors think its a head-scratcher their KIDS get it, hahaha!!!!

So here's to you, your DW and to PIRATES WHEREVER THEY MAY BE!

img_20150907_151051.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Azstonie I need that flag for my boat!!! :lol:

Of all the things we had, we didn't have a pirate flag at my wedding and I can't believe none of us even thought about it until now!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Really fun and unique! Thanks for sharing your pictures. Congratulations and wishing many happy years to you! :love:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Bumping this topic to remind everyone that Saturday, September 19 is International Talk Like a Pirate Day!

"Whether you be new to the notion, or one of the millions who've made it your own personal excuse to party like pirates every September 19th, welcome! Stick around, check out our social media sites, an' learn all about September 19 - International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

ITLAPD 2015 is almost here! And with Sept. 19 fallin' on a Saturday this year, that means International Talk Like A Pirate WEEKEND!"

https://www.facebook.com/InternationalTalkLikeAPirateDay

Spread the word, and the word is "Arrr!" :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results