shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET included in AGS Certificate?

maxim_mu

Rough_Rock
Why do some AGS Certificates come with ASET image on it and some don't?

See attached. Or is that image on the certificate something else?

Attachments

• _113.pdf
    386 KB · Views: 78

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Look in the FAQ section of their website. There are different products so it may depend on what type of document/report, size and/or timeframe, etc.

The AGS Diamond Quality® Document (DQD) is the world's leading diamond report for Cut, and the first one offering a performance-based cut grade for the Round Brilliant as well as for fancy cuts, including Princess, Oval, Emerald and Cushion-shape diamonds. The DQD also provides a complete grading analysis of Color, Clarity, and Carat Weight.  We examine the performance of a diamond — how it handles and refracts light. With the DQD, diamonds can receive a Cut Grade up to AGS Ideal.

The AGS DQD also is available in the Platinum DQD format.  This format provides the same detail as the DQD; it ALSO includes a light performance map based on patented AGS ASET® technology.

http://agslab.com/faqs.php

maxim_mu

Rough_Rock
I see...

Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The computer generated ASET on some of the reports does not take the place of an actual ASET image, just so you know!

maxim_mu

Rough_Rock
What would be the difference?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maxim_mu|1440228182|3917627 said:
The image on the report is a computer generated ASET from AGS. The image posted by WF is a true ASET photo of the actual stone.

newjourney

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1440274243|3917808 said:
The image on the report is a computer generated ASET from AGS. The image posted by WF is a true ASET photo of the actual stone.

I have often wondered about the reason for this as well. Is it because the computer generated ASET image only reveals one shade of red/blue/green whereas the actual one can show subtle shades of the same color, giving a more detailed/accurate depiction?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
newjourney|1440276566|3917818 said:

I have often wondered about the reason for this as well. Is it because the computer generated ASET image only reveals one shade of red/blue/green whereas the actual one can show subtle shades of the same color, giving a more detailed/accurate depiction?

The computer generated images are only going to be as good as the scan. If there is dust or grease on the diamond, it will affect the scan, as can operator error.

Assuming that the scan is accurate the image will often be more accurate than the actual photograph, as any fraction of a degree of tilt or being off the exact center will result in an inaccurate image. When both the scan and the image are correctly done you will see an amazing similarity between the two. One, the scan, is using 40,000 rays which are traced through the image produced by the scan, the other, the photo, is using the actual light that has gone through the actual diamond to produce the image.

The subtle variations in color are a result of different lighting situations and the camera setup. Ten different businesses can take ten different images of the same diamond and while the shapes provided SHOULD be the same, the colors can be wildly different. I say the shapes should be the same, because if the diamond is not properly centered and perfectly aligned the shapes will be slightly different. The reds will still be reds, and the greens will be greens, etc, but the shades may vary. Getting perfect illumination can be as difficult as getting the diamond properly aligned. I think that the subtle variations of shades are telling you more about the photography setup and lighting than about the properties of the diamonds.

The ASET is designed to tell you from where the light you are seeing is coming from. From the horizon to 45 degrees is green, from 45 degrees to 75 degrees is red, and from 75 degrees to 90 degrees is blue. White or black represent leakage, depending on whether a transparent background is used or a black background.

Since the ray tracing technology is used to derive the cut grade in the AGS system, it makes good sense to me that the images on the AGS report are from that same ray tracing. Each diamond is ray traced as part of its grading process.

Wink

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Wink|1440282972|3917837 said:
newjourney|1440276566|3917818 said:

The computer generated images are only going to be as good as the scan. If there is dust or grease on the diamond, it will affect the scan, as can operator error.

Assuming that the scan is accurate the image will often be more accurate than the actual photograph, as any fraction of a degree of tilt or being off the exact center will result in an inaccurate image. When both the scan and the image are correctly done you will see an amazing similarity between the two. One, the scan, is using 40,000 rays which are traced through the image produced by the scan, the other, the photo, is using the actual light that has gone through the actual diamond to produce the image.

The subtle variations in color are a result of different lighting situations and the camera setup. Ten different businesses can take ten different images of the same diamond and while the shapes provided SHOULD be the same, the colors can be wildly different. I say the shapes should be the same, because if the diamond is not properly centered and perfectly aligned the shapes will be slightly different. The reds will still be reds, and the greens will be greens, etc, but the shades may vary. Getting perfect illumination can be as difficult as getting the diamond properly aligned. I think that the subtle variations of shades are telling you more about the photography setup and lighting than about the properties of the diamonds.

The ASET is designed to tell you from where the light you are seeing is coming from. From the horizon to 45 degrees is green, from 45 degrees to 75 degrees is red, and from 75 degrees to 90 degrees is blue. White or black represent leakage, depending on whether a transparent background is used or a black background.

Since the ray tracing technology is used to derive the cut grade in the AGS system, it makes good sense to me that the images on the AGS report are from that same ray tracing. Each diamond is ray traced as part of its grading process.

Wink

Very interesting! Great info Wink! :clap:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Excellent summary Wink.

I would add, with respect to newjourney's comment, that it is true that one source of potential differences is mixing of colors in actual photos, whereas the computer generated colors are singular. It is possible for a facet to get illumination from different rays, some just above and below a color boundary.

Here is an example of yellows in actual ASET as red and green are mixed. You sometimes see purple as well from mixing red and blue. (This is not a vivid example but I think you can make out the colors).

yellow_in_aset.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you Texas Leaguer,

Do you feel that the mix of colors is telling us anything special other than the facets involved are right on the borders of where they are picking up one color or the other?

Wink

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink|1440344367|3917996 said:
Thank you Texas Leaguer,

Do you feel that the mix of colors is telling us anything special other than the facets involved are right on the borders of where they are picking up one color or the other?

Wink
Yes, I think that is all they are telling us. And as you pointed out, there are many variables that cannot be controlled 100% in taking the actual photo which can account for nuances like color mixing. But as you mentioned, the CG image is only as good as the scan, and there is instrumentation deviation even if the scan is taken properly. Very small though. I think the AGS Lab is a pretty trusted source for getting the scan done right and keeping the machines calibrated and operating at their full level of accuracy.

It's particularly powerful to have both a well taken actual and a lab produced CG image for cross reference and verification.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results