shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I just cancel my custom ring and get a refund?

My SO bought a Verragio ring for me in March of this year. He wanted it modified to fit the center stone he bought and sized to my finger, and they said they could do it. They did a crappy job, and it had to be sent back. They did another crappy job, and it had to be sent back. Each time it's sent, they take forever to "fix" it and get it back to us. It is now almost September, and they have decided to completely scratch the ring and start over. However, according to my so far very unhelpful local jeweler who is the middleman in all this, I'd have to pay more to make it look right.

I just want my SO to tell them "nevermind" and get his money back because they are such a huge pain to deal with, I don't care anymore, and I feel like my SO is being cheated. Can this be done? Has anyone ever done this before?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best way to find out is to call. They might not because it (sounds like) was a custom order. But I think if you come at it from an angle of - "instead of spending/wasting BOTH parties time sending it back and forth to be fixed, a refund would be better off for both parties" might get you somewhere. Because, it is basically wasting their time fixing it each time, and it sounds like the cycle would just continue. Good luck!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the fact that they are going to start over with a completely new setting means you have a very strong case to get a refund. I would just tell them that taking 6 months to try and get the setting right isn't working for you and based on how things have gone, you don't have confidence that they'll do the right things with the new setting and you'd like a refund. Plain and simple.

Good luck and I hope you find a jeweler or vendor who can set your diamond to your satisfaction.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortuntely, the mistake was buying a sample setting that was not the right size for the stone or ring size and that often ends up a problem. I always warn people about that if they post in advance, as it is always best to order the ring made the right size to begin with.

I have no idea if they'd do a refund at this point, since he did knowingly buy a ring that didn't fit and they have already put work into it. You are actually very lucky they are offering to remake the ring. On the other hand, it never hurts to ask for the refund. You may get lucky.

diamondseeker2006|1440133520|3917056 said:
Unfortuntely, the mistake was buying a sample setting that was not the right size for the stone or ring size and that often ends up a problem. I always warn people about that if they post in advance, as it is always best to order the ring made the right size to begin with.

I have no idea if they'd do a refund at this point, since he did knowingly buy a ring that didn't fit and they have already put work into it. You are actually very lucky they are offering to remake the ring. On the other hand, it never hurts to ask for the refund. You may get lucky.

Rings are rarely the right ring size, and resizing is extremely common. My fingers are very small, so any ring I buy, it will have to be resized. If a jeweler can't resize a ring properly, they won't stay in business long. That's not the problem anyway.

The problem is not that they couldn't resize it; it's that they told me they could definitely customize the ring to the diamond my fiance bought (Verragio frequently customizes rings and always says so in their ads). The first time, the ring was a total mess. It was undeniably awful work. The second time, it was better, but obviously not even close to being symmetrical.

I am not "lucky" they are offering to remake a ring they have repeatedly screwed up with bad workmanship. If they didn't think they could do it, then they should have said so.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really hope they refund you and let you move on. This is ridiculous. They clearly cannot handle the construction of this and they're ruining the moment, for sure.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
ame said:
I really hope they refund you and let you move on.

I agree. I would fight for the refund. 5 mths is a loooong time to wait for a ring to be set/resize. Jeez, you could have had a custom ring design and made from scratch in 10-12 wks easily.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Verragio should have declined a work order requiring such extensive modifications to a retailer's showcase model of the elaborate Venetian 5061 ring. It's intended for a round stone, not an oval (there are no oval center stones in any of the Venetian Collectian rings); the shank is very ornately detailed all the way around & you have such slim fingers, maybe 3+ full ring sizes smaller than typical sample rings.

In fact, the extent- nature of the modifications seem unrealistic enough to me that I'm surprised that your jeweler even submitted the work order to Verragio, rather than recommending either a round diamond or a special, from the bottom up, design and creation -- which is what Verragio means when they say "We specialize in custom orders." In the ordinary course of things (i.e., not modifying an existing semi-mount as was happening here), Verragio makes its rings entirely "from scratch" for every customer & their stone. This was not that kind of customization.

I like telephone's suggested approach to trying to bring this to an end in your favor. FYI: your jeweler most likely had to purchase the sample outright himself from Verragio before putting it out for display & that adds a wrinkle to the refunding scenario that you may not already be aware of.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do agree that the jeweler never should have sold the setting that would need such extensive alterations to begin with. I suppose he may be stuck with the loss, because he should have told your fiance the setting had to be ordered and made for the specific diamond and ring size. So hopefully you can get the refund and start over if you do not want Verragio to make the customized ring. The only reason I can think of that it could cost more is if the jeweler sold the sample ring at a discount, and for Verragio to make the customized ring, they would obviously charge retail.

For future reference, the correct way to buy any designer setting is always to order it made in your ring size and for your specific diamond. It definitely would have been made in your ring size and the head designed for the exact proportions of the stone. It is extremely important to have it made in the correct ring size when there is pave on the shank because resizing can cause little stones to become loose and potentially fall out. The rings in the case are sample settings to help people decide what style they want. There are a few people who may get lucky and have a round 1 ct diamond (or other shape) and a size 6 and can actually buy the sample setting, but other than that, the rings should be ordered.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your jeweller as well as Verragio should not have offered or accepted your order in the first place. After all this back and forth, long waiting times and without a good result I would say you have no every right to cancel the project. Especially since you even need to pay more! I would personally go to the jeweller or call him (and perhaps even consider contacting Verragio directly, depending on the outcome. After all this time I can imagine you now want to actually want to wear a ring.

All the best :wavey:
I hope this will come to a good solution for you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call the jeweller tell them you want to completely cancel the order and want a refund due to the length of time it has taken, check the fine print on all receipts you have to see if on the original order that you or your partner did not sign a waver agreeing you took the risk when any work was done.

If you did sign anything like this then they are obligated to fix the issue but not refund the money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results