shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about the range of prices for yellow sapphires

santorini

Rough_Rock
I came across a website that has a few medium yellow sapphires listed at about $200/ct. They are described as unheated natural sapphires. I haven't come across any natural, unheated sapphires close to this price range. They look natural in photos (unusual cuts and shapes, and more inclusions that I would expect in a synthetic). And there are some threads here that mention this vendor. Is that price ever justified in your opinion? By their hue or saturation, or clarity perhaps? Or does it fall far below what you'd normally expect?

I'm always intent on being a savvy consumer, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

(Is it within forum policy to post a link to a non-PS vendor? Let me know, and I'll link through because that would certainly allow better assessment.)

Back story
Last week, I purchased what the vendor assures me is a lovely yellow sapphire. I'm expecting it in the post this week and will post photos to make a call on it (in my other thread, I took it pretty much as a done deal and was researching custom settings).

I paid about $1000/ct. I was after a particular cut (oval brilliant), minimal windowing and bow-tie, in a particular size range (8x6mm to no more than 10x8mm), and a saturated medium intensity. I looked for about a month and contacted some popular vendors (about 8 of them), but given how particular these requirements were I had scarce options. Eventually, I got one cut by a vendor recommended through another forum. By comparison at the time, the price seemed on the high end, but I wasn't able to find a back up option.

I feel like I should have spent 2 more weeks researching when I came across the aforementioned $200/ct sapphires. While I don't need a bargain for what will be a very important stone for me (to eventually propose with), I do want to be informed enough to get value for money!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind posting a picture or two of the sapphire in question? Without more information, it is impossible to gauge whether $200/ct is a good price or fair price or overpriced. Yellow sapphires are also typically heated, but more often diffused (heated with added minerals) to make it look better, so I would be cautious about taking the vendor's word about its treatment as gospel.

santorini

Rough_Rock
sapphire_10.jpg

Here is one picture. I haven't made any enquiries about diffusion treatment, or asked for more photos. What's your opinion on whether the price differential is explained or not?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
santorini|1439986359|3916340 said:
sapphire_10.jpg
Here is one picture. I haven't made any enquiries about diffusion treatment, or asked for more photos. What's your opinion on whether the price differential is explained or not?

It doesn't look eye clean, and the colour has a good bit of green modifier.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price may be explained by the seemingly low saturation of color, meaning it has an almost grey tint to it.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have found what I consider "nice" yellow sapphires unheated/untreated from $200/ct and up--champagne colors, and milder yellows, not usually lemon yellow. Just have a good return policy that doesn't include fee's, restocking, etc. This vendor has been good in my interactions with them, and you have a few more sapphire choices if they are still available from the website. The best way to assess gems is to order the top stones and compare them in person under different lighting conditions. I've ordered from and returned stones to this vendor and they have been great to work with. Why not order it and see what you think in person........I definitely trust the vendors description; the question would be about extinction in the cut or some other 'twist' that would be apparent when seeing it in person. Good luck!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PS---my biggest concern would be shadows/extinction in the stone as I think it shows that a bit--I'd ask about that for sure. Yellow sapphires often shift a bit to green as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results