shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White's The Gem Scoop

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tourmaline is lovely, thanks for sharing the pics, and I look forward to seeing the finished ring.

DK :love:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words loves vintage, katharath, elle, acinom, minous, dk168 and loving gems.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the stone. I've been searching for blue/green/seafoam tourms for about 5 months with the intent to make earrings. I really lucked out on this one and will rethink things now that I have a single stone.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That tourmaline looks incredible!

I got a post office notice of a missed package when I got home from work, which I assume is the scapolite. Luckily I'm off tomorrow, so I should be able to pick it up in the morning.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kgizo|1439844386|3915731 said:
I just got the tourmaline and am thrilled! It is exactly what I expected based on his pics. This is my first Jeff White stone and I can see why he has a following as the faceting is mesmerizing. Pics taken with an iPhone outdoors. The stone is so bright I had trouble getting it to focus so included a blurry one for fun.

What a fantastic stone. The color and faceting are beautiful!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decided that I will have my purple garnet sent to Brilliantly Engaged for a super simple solitaire. Will be an end of year project.
As I will not be able to review the stone with my own eyes before it's set, Jeff sent me a video.

Some stills (different lighting):

_33415.jpg

_33416.jpg

_33417.jpg

_33418.jpg

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Anicnom,

The purple garnet looks gorgeous :love: I cannot wait to see it once it is set and I hope that you post a lot of pictures of the process!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The scapolite is SO COOL! As I predicted, the tenebrescence is incredibly hard to photograph. It's a truly colorless stone before, and a light blue after I "charge" it with my UV penlight. The medium blue color in Jeff's photos and description requires short-wave UV light and I only have a long-wave penlight. But I definitely see the blue way more in real life. It fades pretty fast though.

This post has the "before/during" photos. Still trying to get better "after" photos because they look just like the "before" ones.

img_20150818_145633642.jpg

img_20150818_145747783.jpg

img_20150818_145729677.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
These are all "after" pictures. I swear the blue is much more perceptible IRL! It's like a light aquamarine to my eyes. The picture of the side of the stone is the closest to what I actually see in the first few seconds after turning the light on, but still appears washed out here.

img_20150818_145845864.jpg

img_20150818_150143505_hdr.jpg

img_20150818_152155665.jpg

img_20150818_152202214.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
great photos Acinom and jstarfireb.
I only have one JW stone, will get another after my self imposed ban. :shifty:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Love seeing the pics of your stones Acinom and jstarfireb!!! :love:

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Acinom,

Congrats on another gorgeous CS gem! I think it's so fun to follow your threads on all your CS acquisitions and each threat is a great opportunity to see how a piece of rock turns into a piece of wearable art! It's fascinating to see how you're able to find these gems in their most desired colors and cuts and then able to choose the most amazing settings for each of them. How did you do that? Did you have a setting you found and then searching out for the stone or vice versa??? Another question..how do you decide on which jeweler you're going to choose for each of your CS? Would you share some insights about your experience with each of these jewelers? I know you're a sweet and likable person so I think you probably got along well with all of them, but I know you wouldn't choose one based on his/her personalities. If you don't feel it's appropriate to share the info here, is there a way you're allowed to contact me and personally give me some info?

I love all your rings, every single one of them turned out so beautiful, but my favorite one is the VC with Gene's Afg. tourmaline!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom - I can't wait to see your stone set. You do a great job of picking lovely stones and finding unique and complementary settings. I too, enjoy your thread on your stones and the creation process.

jstarfireb - That is a really cool stone! Your pics are really good, but I wish I could see that in person.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb: thanks for sharing your pics! This is such a cool phenomenon. Would love to see more of your stone.

Gingercurls, lovesvintage, kgizo, lovinggems: thank you for your super kind words :wavey: It will take a good while before this stone will be set, but I will share the pics.

Violetphoenix: aww, thank you for your kind words.
I always start with the gem. In mostly envision a setting when I see more pics of the stone and then decide which jeweller is the best to make this particular setting. I also keep the costs in mind. This does not mean however that a more expensive stone gets a more expensive setting. It only depends to what extent I really love the stone (or think I will love it as I mostly cannot review the stones before they are set). I really enjoy working with Victor, David, Chris from BE and Ashley from Marc Williams Goldsmith. Bedides offering top notch work, they are always friendly, professional and accomodating. I love their customer service as they turn the process into a pleasurable experience as well as delivering a great end product. There are two jewellers I do not really enjoy working with for various reasons like pushing to buy a center stone, having a mediocre customer service and experience (although they were never unfriendly). And the other as she never met her self imposed deadlines and then coming back with a bunch of excuses. In both cases I do like the end result though.

I love Victor's aesthetic eye and he seems to read my mind. I only have to choose the design and whether I like single or full cuts and can leave the rest up to him. The result is never what I expected as it always exceeds my expectations.

I love working with David. I like the fact that I can decide on detailing during the process. I love the rings he made for me and the fact that he seems to be able to make beautiful rings, no matter what the style is. I appreciate the quality/price ratio he offers.

Chris is a super friendly guy and he has a great eye. Not every CAD is what I expected, but the result always looks great and Chris will have the CAD's tweaked until you are satisfied.

I have only worked with MW once, but it was great working with them. I love their clear signature style and craftmanship. I would love to work with them again.

These vendors have experience in working with colored stones and I completely trust them.
Hope this answers your questions? We could get in contact if you are on Loupe Troop? Unfortunately there is no PM function on PS

D5grvty

Rough_Rock
Acinom, when you said Victor, did you mean Victor Canera for settings? I was looking into Brilliantly Earth myself, but I thought their team only consists of Chris, Steve, and Mark.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D5grvty|1440096533|3916859 said:
Acinom, when you said Victor, did you mean Victor Canera for settings? I was looking into Brilliantly Earth myself, but I thought their team only consists of Chris, Steve, and Mark.

I was indeed referring to Victor Canera, David Klass, Brilliantly Engaged and Marc Williams.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
_33417.jpg

ACINOM, I am seriously suffering from the green eyed monster over here. :Up_to_something:
That is simply gorgeous.

I have actually reached out to see if any of that rough was left (It's so pretty, I'd be happy to settle for a smaller size) :naughty:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1440100915|3916880 said:
_33417.jpg

ACINOM, I am seriously suffering from the green eyed monster over here. :Up_to_something:
That is simply gorgeous.

I have actually reached out to see if any of that rough was left (It's so pretty, I'd be happy to settle for a smaller size) :naughty:

Ooh! That would be great and I would love to be stone sisters with you :wavey:
Please let us know whether Jeff has some rough left.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1440101611|3916885 said:
elle_71125|1440100915|3916880 said:
_33417.jpg

That is simply gorgeous.

Ooh! That would be great and I would love to be stone sisters with you :wavey:
Please let us know whether Jeff has some rough left.

I just wanted to chime in to agree that this garnet is a stunner! When i saw it on Jeff's Facebook last month I contacted him about the rough. I'm waiting on him to cut me a pear. I can't wait to see this cushion cut set in a ring! It is a gorgeous stone!

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
Love the scapolite, I have all fingers crossed that there is another in the next scoop

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppyguts|1440143776|3917099 said:
Love the scapolite, I have all fingers crossed that there is another in the next scoop
Based on his video on FB, Jeff has more stones. I would contact him if you are interested and ask him to cut one for you.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
puppyguts said:

Yes, do get in touch with him to see if he has what you want. I am in the process of getting one too. It is not finalized just yet though. I don't know how many roughs he has left and if you are OK w/ paying the minimum of $500 to commission a stone to be cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results