shape
carat
color
clarity

Can't make a choice! F or k

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
I'm deciding between a Gia color f excellent cut, vs2, 2.34 carats and a 3.48 Gia color K, almost J, ssi. Both cushion cut. Both beautiful in natural light. I really wanted to the bigger one, was looking for 3 carats. Then fell on this f. When set in a halo will the cushion cut show yellow in the k color? Any advise is welcome. Please help! They are about the same in price, from a mutual friend.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two Ks....

joydayf.jpg p1090506.jpg
Personally I like Ks and have a couple , but it's an individual preference. I have never seen my diamonds as yellow, to me they just look slightly warm in some light but the sparkle factor is what I see, not color . If I were to think more about it I would say that having some warmth actually enhances the appearance of the color flashes coming off diamonds. Being well-cut & warm is better than icy white and not-so-great cut. Without knowing more about your two choices I would say go for the larger stone and enjoy.
Can you post photos here?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of cushion? Antique or modern?

Can you possibly continue searching until you find a middle ground, maybe H 3 ct?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, in terms of contrast with the K - I would use lower color diamonds in the halo too - not necessarily K, but maybe I

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would really depend on the type of cushion for me, a chunky cushion can handle the body color and makes it look good IMO, not so much for pin-point glitter cushions. I have an L asscher in a halo and have no issues with it at all.

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
Thank you those that have helped out. I will try to post pics. I think it is a modern cushion cut.
I want to have it in a a halo setting. And I was worried the F would be very cool looking. But I don't want it too yellow. Hard to tell when it's not set yet.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cjoy|1439821598|3915554 said:
Thank you those that have helped out. I will try to post pics. I think it is a modern cushion cut.
I want to have it in a a halo setting. And I was worried the F would be very cool looking. But I don't want it too yellow. Hard to tell when it's not set yet.
What's your budget? I feel like there must be a happy middle ground of not too "cool" and not too "warm" for you

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, J in a 3 carat stone is warm but it might not be to you. I don't know where your tolerance lies.

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
We are getting at diamond dealer price, a friend. These are what he has at this time that fits what we are looking for. His best buys. We might have to wait I guess. Or I can make something with the 2.3 carat for now. I just didn't know everyone's opinion on K's once the are set. I saw it only against the F, which made it look very yellow. Once I set the 2 I'm sure it would be beautiful. I was wondering if people with experience might think the same about K, almost a J he said. I can wait but I don't want to pass on a good deal of it will be great in my ring.
I tried to upload and post pics. Is there a trick?
_33373.jpg

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
image_3756.jpg
Here is one more of the k alone

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these GIA graded? It looks more than just warm! It looks almost into the fancy yellow range.

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1439812922|3915509 said:
Two Ks....

joydayf.jpg p1090506.jpg
Personally I like Ks and have a couple , but it's an individual preference. I have never seen my diamonds as yellow, to me they just look slightly warm in some light but the sparkle factor is what I see, not color . If I were to think more about it I would say that having some warmth actually enhances the appearance of the color flashes coming off diamonds. Being well-cut & warm is better than icy white and not-so-great cut. Without knowing more about your two choices I would say go for the larger stone and enjoy.

Thanks for showing me your beautiful rings! I love the color on yours.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do more looking. It may be the photos but neither of these appear to have a wow factor and that K is so yellow- maybe it's just me.

edit: thank you!

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1439823041|3915573 said:
Are these GIA graded? It looks more than just warm! It looks almost into the fancy yellow range.

Yes they are GIA. The pic when they are together is a terrible picture I took really fast before we left for size comparison. I posted a better one one larger in my next post. That is a truer picture of the color.

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1439823148|3915576 said:
I would do more looking. It may be the photos but neither of these appear to have a wow factor and that K is so yellow- maybe it's just me.

edit: thank you!

So, it's a no for the 2 carat as well?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is way out of my territory [cushions] but I like to see a stone with a lovely facet pattern. I think [correct me if this is wrong, other posters] what you have posted are called the crushed ice look ?? As opposed to this [quickly grabbed off the internet, have no idea if it's good one or not!] img_21.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only get that K if you plan to play up the yellow colour - because it is very tinted. But you could make a really nice ring, maybe yellow gold cup, icy white halo to play up the contrast, I think it could be very nice.

However, if you're looking for a more colourless stone, that would not cut it.

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1439823502|3915582 said:
This is way out of my territory [cushions] but I like to see a stone with a lovely facet pattern. I think [correct me if this is wrong, other posters] what you have posted are called the crushed ice look ?? As opposed to this [quickly grabbed off the internet, have no idea if it's good one or not!] img_21.jpg

I appreciate your help tremdously, as I don't want to buy a bad cushion. But when I looked at them yesterday, especially the 2 carats it looked just like that picture you posted. I believe it is the way I shot my photos, as they were tilted and just for size comparison. I do think I need to go look again for sure. Is it possible what I'm saying about how it might be funny in the phot when tilted? Not at an angle to really be photographed?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cjoy|1439822744|3915568 said:
We are getting at diamond dealer price, a friend. These are what he has at this time that fits what we are looking for. His best buys. We might have to wait I guess. Or I can make something with the 2.3 carat for now. I just didn't know everyone's opinion on K's once the are set. I saw it only against the F, which made it look very yellow. Once I set the 2 I'm sure it would be beautiful. I was wondering if people with experience might think the same about K, almost a J he said. I can wait but I don't want to pass on a good deal of it will be great in my ring.
_33373.jpg

How much is your friend asking for those two stone? In my opinion neither are much to write home about

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cushions come in many flavours. Which one do you like best?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you done a search of some of the PS recommended vendors to make sure you are actually getting an excellent price? I only ask because many posters on this board think they are getting a special deal from a friend, or friend of a friend, but upon further examination and comparison to some of the stones found through online vendors, they are not really getting a great deal. It never hurts to look at other options so that you are satisfied that you are truly getting a good deal.

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
Niel|1439825200|3915594 said:
_33373.jpg

How much is your friend asking for those two stone? In my opinion neither are much to write home about

Just under 20 for each, not sure exactly. My husband knows the exact price.
I believe 17 for the 2.34 F
And 19 for the 3.49

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
Cjoy|1439825508|3915598 said:
Niel|1439825200|3915594 said:
_33373.jpg

Just under 20 for each, not sure exactly. My husband knows the exact price.
I believe 17 for the 2.34 F
And 19 for the 3.49

Am I getting ripped off??

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cjoy|1439823064|3915574 said:
Jimmianne|1439812922|3915509 said:
Two Ks....

joydayf.jpg p1090506.jpg

Thanks for showing me your beautiful rings! I love the color on yours.

Can't see body color on first picture what we are seeing is glare from sparkles. Color is more apparent in second photo but can be grey as well as yellow and also brown.

The first stone of original poster does show a lot of color but also yellow sparkles/refraction making it look worse and that is the reason color grading is done table down through the body of the stone. If you Photoshop out the yellow fire the stone won't look so yellow.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Face up can't tell color from shadow as well as sparkle. Same as walking into a pitch black room and telling me the walls are blue and not red. Different thing like apples and oranges, body color is graded upside down that is what GIA and all labs do.

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1439825236|3915595 said:
Cushions come in many flavours. Which one do you like best?
I think I like the smaller of the 2 at this point. I don't need an f color, but not sold on the k color at least of my stone. I would feel better if I could choose after it was set but this is a diamond dealer not a jewler.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer to make the selection on a loose diamond because I can observe how it reacts to light better without the distraction of a setting. So at least now you know you prefer a patterned cushion (modern cushion) over the glittery crushed ice cushion.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing pics of that K I would say you will def. see a contrast between it and small melee stones, even if the melee are H/I there will still be contrast bc they give off small bright white light vs. the overall darker and sleepier action of the cushion.

Cjoy

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1439830596|3915629 said:
I prefer to make the selection on a loose diamond because I can observe how it reacts to light better without the distraction of a setting. So at least now you know you prefer a patterned cushion (modern cushion) over the glittery crushed ice cushion.

Yes, I do see what you are talking about. Thank you! I will go with the F clarity.
I still would still like to know if the price is right.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Here are some price comparables for your budget and carat range.
Thing is, as PSers will tell you, cushions have to be bought with the eyes, so here are the respectable looking candidates so you can get a feel of what's out there. Looking for D-F, I didn't see much that was nice on the below site.
Also look at good old gold.

K VVS2
2.4ct
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.41-carat-k-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-598152

J SI1
2.2ct
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.20-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-597676

I VS2
2.2ct
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.22-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-495988

I VVS2 (I think the one jimmianne screenshotted?)
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.31-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-609672

H VVS1
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.20-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-597709

K VS2
3.12ct
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.12-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-598620

G VS1
2.2ct
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.23-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-597593

J VS2
3.03ct
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.03-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-597753

If you can, if you can post a pic of the facet diagram of your potential stone, from its GIA report, and a close up of the stone, that would be great. PSers use tools like ASET imagery to get more info about how the diamond will perform in real life. If you love the stone then of course that's fine, but if you're not sure that's what we use to narrow the field.

Just to add, seeing as you are here, I am sure this isn't the case but feel obligated to mention it, we often see people with friends of friends who claim to be diamond wholesalers and give them great prices when in actual fact there's no such thing as a diamond wholesaler selling direct to the public! These stories tend not to end well. Just had to mention it just in case.

But of course if your jeweller is your friend that's great and of course go with him.
With your budget though, I have to say it would be nice if you had a wider selection of stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results