carat
color
clarity

Loose 2.28 diamond in hand. Trying to decide color vs curren

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Loose 2.28 diamond in hand. Trying to decide color vs cu

http://youtu.be/YizGfSIisJE

Shows different colors (clear, yellowish, brownish, greyish). I think they are pretty extreme versions but may help show tones for a visual.

I see a reasonable, visual difference in the pics you posted of the mid/upper " I" beside the J.

I had a dream the diamond I bought broken half last night while I was looking at it. I guess I'm a little stressed? Lol!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you Pyramid for the thoughts and time. I tried to be a good PSer and did read that in the past while trying to do some research. Definitely is a helpful read! Some pictures show diamonds that look pretty yellow to me while others do not all in the J category. The diamond I have face up looks completely gorgeous. I have 0 problems with it face up and think is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Possibly even whiter than mine since mine seems to appear dark at times bc of the cut. It's more the side angle or 45 degree.

Today while I was driving I was looking at my hand. This is a view that I see pretty often (side). I have been looking at a few Hs, etc. Price jumps up fast from J. Guess that is how I squeezed in a 2.28! HUGE!

Tomorrow should provide more clarification on a "J". You all have been so helpful!

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock

Hello,
I also have a J diamond round brilliant and it is a GIA Triple X VS1 and all I see is bling bling bling blinding bling. This morning I was on the express bus to work and all I kept doing is staring at my beautiful round diamond ring and saying to myself, God I love my ring.
Now my ring is set in a setting and even when I look sideways its just as gorgeous as it is face up. Maybe you have to see your diamond set in the setting. Even when I look at my diamond from the side, it has a slight tint, but that does not bother me because Its such a well cut gorgeous diamond and its a firecracker even in the darkest of places, I just adore my diamond. It has personality and I love it. Now mine is not as large as your diamond. You have to love your diamond because you will be starring at it all the time, like me I love staring at my ring.
Are you going to set your diamond in a setting? Remember once the diamond is in the setting you are not going to see tint you are looking at it face up not underneath examining it all the time from underneath. IDK, this is a tough call for you, Good Luck what ever you decide :D

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

TY Madison2 for your lengthy comment (and your help in general).

Today was informative. The first "J" saw (that opened my mind to buying a "J") was less warm side by side as I remembered. Not a ton by any means, but enough for my eye & DHs to pick up. Sadly, it will go back :(georgous stone tho). For what it is worth, she also said my 1.1 is in the "upper I" range.

Viewed an "upper I" (so she said), SI2, 2.14 round, GIA, 3X. Looked eye clean. She also showed us a 2.51 H, GIA, eyeclean, 3x, SI2 (or SI1, can't remember). WAY out of $ range for $24,500. Another was a G, faint florescent, 3x, GIA, 2.02, SI2 eyeclean. There were a few more I viewed.

With all of this said, to be safe, I will need to remain at the strong "I" or a "H" for my dream stone. Ugh! So spoiled looking at a diamond near 2.3!! Unsure where this will take me $$. Down in size! Lol! Thank you all for your help!

Below are a few pictures of the "J" I will be returning with the "upper I" for any visual curiosity. Took them more for my reference. Can u guess which is which? Should have taken a pic of the two "J"s to share!! They were close, just a but more warmth in mine. I know the photos below are showing color grades 1 level apart. Its not so much face up to be honest, but the more side views. Sharing for anybody else who's trying to decide between I and J.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Left, right, bottom, left for the J? Bummer it won't work out for you. Just not sure that I'd give up on a J and the size you want when you saw a J that had a color that didn't bother you at all. I'd try to find out what body color that J had and see if you can find something out there like that. But if it isn't worth the trouble of a long search, just go higher color and downsize to be done with it. Good luck on the search!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Prunk, hello! I agree it would be in my best financial range to keep with a J for the size stone I desire. Yes, the other J was less warm.....but.....I want to be "safe" now that I am gushy with j. My pockets are really being pushed at this moment! I understand that means I will need to sacrifice some size but I this seems best to ensure I love my diamond at all views. I'm afraid it will be hard to explain what "upper J" means since everybody has different opinions.

Im considering trying to seek out and SI2/eyeclean, I or H. Read that may be difficult to find. Today the GIA SI2's looked fine to me! Nothing that stood out until I used the loop! Lol! Naked eye was fine! Something has to give. Maybe fluro? IDK.

I went back & changed the order (you were replying as I was changing pics) of the photos since I realized I posted two of the same face up shots. Also, have no idea why they posted verticle. :)

Order for J: left , top, left, top

Face up this J is wonderful! Sensitive to the side view. I need to love this gal at every angle for draining my bank account! No do-overs! :) :) :)

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock

I was in a similar situation as you...I upgraded from a 1.3ct I to a 2.3ct J. Within a couple of days I knew I couldn't stand the tint from the side. The jeweler wasn't really surprised when I returned it saying "you are used to an I"! Thankfully my husband was supportive and actually was willing to pay a few thousand more to get a 2.3ct I! I think you are making a good decision to return it because you will always question the color. I honestly think you will be fine with an I and don't need to go to an H. I hope you can find the perfect stone with the right balance of color and clarity!! I am a big fan of SI clarity if eye clean!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Tweeter8177! So sweet!! Is that your diamond in the picture for your ID? Pretty!

Yes, I think our stories may be very similar. You upgraded very well ;-). Stunning ring!

I think that is it. Dropping and seeing a fragment HINT of warmth is not for MY eyes. Not what I am use to. I is somewhat down the scale and I have been perfectly a-ok with it. :) I know it is subtle warmth in a J, but I think I must be more color sensitive than I thought. Plus, it seems there is some variance with in the J category based on what I am seeing. Surprisingly!!! I think you hit the nail on the head with "use to looking at an I". 100% bingo!! :( DARN IT! This diamond was so perfect in every way!!! Sparkles like heck! BLINDING BLING! Someone will snatch it up and LOVE this baby! I know a vendor who will have it in hand here shortly.....

I have been searching PS. A jump in price for sure with I's. :(

Madison2, your pic is great as well! So many beautiful diamonds! :)
Dolly!!! Great diamonds :) :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results