shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodolite garnet - what do you think?

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to colored stones. I've been looking for a red colored stone for a while but since rubies and spinels are way too expensive I thought id dip my toes in the CS world with some cheaper stones.

What do you guys think of this garnet? http://www.ajsgem.com/rhodolite-garnet/rhodolite-garnet-6.99-carats.html
Is it worth the price? How do they compare to spinels and rubies in terms of color and brillance? I've never seen any of these stones in real life....not gem quality at least but plenty of bad lead filled rubies.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. I'm based in Asia hence AJS as the first choice as vendor. How does the US and Europe compare to Asia in terms of CS prices? Diamonds seem to be much cheaper in the US than bangkok...is it the same for CS?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Badabling :wavey:
Hopefully the experts will chime in soon. I am too unexperienced myself to answer your question.
On my screen the stone looks rather dark though? It will not hurt to ask for a photo of the stone on the back of the vendor's hand and in daylight.

If you are truly and seriously interested in a stone, please make sure you 'reserve' any stone before posting it here as lurkers will snatch it up before you know it.
Happy stone search!

_32913.jpg

_32914.jpg

_32915.jpg

_32916.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second asking for a daylight or hand photo in order to get a better idea of color. I would worry a bit about the stone being too dark in most lighting situations. But it might just be the vendor pictures, so it's worth asking for other pics as well. Good luck!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will honestly say that I am not a big fan of red garnets as just about all of them close up, turn dark or "brown out" in fluorescent lighting. If you are in Asia, before I bought that stone I would look at what Jeff Davies has to offer - he is very approachable and has much deeper inventory than just what shows up online. His prices for very well cut stones are significantly less than the precision cutters in the U.S. He is on Facebook, ebay and has a webpage: http://jefferydavies.com/

I would ask about any red garnets that don't go dark/turn brown. I would also ask about Rubellite tourmaline. Then of course there is always red spinel, if you aren't too picky about wanting the perfect, super expensive red. Jeff's prices should be considerably lower than AJS.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for additional pics or video. (It looks darker on my screen as well). I like the suggestion Minousbijoux made as well to see what Jeff Davies has available. :wavey:

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I think these experts are right, I have been trying to find a perfect vibrant red colored garnet to have a ring made for my older daughter (January birthday) and so far I returned one and kept two (missed return deadline). The ones I kept, in real life, they do look darker and "flat looking" than how they appeared on the monitor. The one you show here definitely looks nicer though, but to be honest it won't have the same "appeal" look as a red spinel. Like you, I have been searching for an affordable red spinel (particularly, a Vietnamese origin) for a while and finally stumbled on one on eBay. If you're going to spend that much money for a red garnet, try to be patient, you might be able to find a red spinel...may be not for that size of course. I found a seller on eBay, "Siamgold" frequently lists nice size red spinels that are pretty affordable and most of her red spinels are Gia cert. I haven't bought anything from her, but I know at least a gemstone vendor on the PS vendors approval list also bought from her, so that might give you some assurance. I only want to chiime in to help, I'm no expert in this field and haven't been around this forum long enough to give anyone advice. I need advice myself lol!!!

Good luck to you...you're in the right place!!

badabling

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everybody for your advice!

I am afraid to buy colored stones online precisely because of the variation of the stone in real life as opposed to the monitor. I never considered the stone looking darker when set....this is why Ii consult PSers before buying.

I will check out Jeff Davies and pls if anyone sees a good red stone available do let me know.

S

SparkliesLuver

Do you like/dislike any modifiers or secondary colors? For example, here's a gorgeous red orange sunstone. I've been tempted by it, but I'm currently on a ban. Granted, it's not going to look like a ruby, if that's what you're wanting.

http://www.clearcutgems.com/sunstone/sn1.html

sunstone-sn1-3.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought and admittedly this is a long shot. A few months back Jim (gah! I can never remember his name! BRB while I look it up. Okay looked it up) McCormick (for some reason, I guess cuz I know he's into music, I always want to call him Jim Morrison, but anyway...) had some garnets that appeared red in many lighting situations. I believe Acinom bought one and set it. It might be worth contacting him to see if he has any more, but just know the stone was definitely on the flame side of red, meaning it often had an orangey side to it. But it seems to me that some time recently he has had stones that appeared to be very well saturated red color. You would have to ask him about how these particular stones performed in various lighting (do they go dark, or brown out in fluor light), because the last thing you want is a stone that looks awesome only in one specific lighting situation (e.g. "if I hold it at just the right angle by that one window over there at around 3:00 pm on a sunny not overcast day... :lol: ).

badabling

Shiny_Rock
SparkliesLuver said:
Do you like/dislike any modifiers or secondary colors? For example, here's a gorgeous red orange sunstone. I've been tempted by it, but I'm currently on a ban. Granted, it's not going to look like a ruby, if that's what you're wanting.

Thank you for keeping an eye out for me but this one looks too orange for my liking. I'd prefer a more bluish toned red even though it might look a little darker.

minousbijoux said:
Another thought and admittedly this is a long shot. A few months back Jim (gah! I can never remember his name! BRB while I look it up. Okay looked it up) McCormick (for some reason, I guess cuz I know he's into music, I always want to call him Jim Morrison, but anyway...) had some garnets that appeared red in many lighting situations. I believe Acinom bought one and set it. It might be worth contacting him to see if he has any more, but just know the stone was definitely on the flame side of red, meaning it often had an orangey side to it. But it seems to me that some time recently he has had stones that appeared to be very well saturated red color. You would have to ask him about how these particular stones performed in various lighting (do they go dark, or brown out in fluor light), because the last thing you want is a stone that looks awesome only in one specific lighting situation (e.g. "if I hold it at just the right angle by that one window over there at around 3:00 pm on a sunny not overcast day... :lol: ).

I was unable to find him online. I found a couple of stones for sale from a Jim McCormick but no red stones and nothing in the size I'm looking for :(

badabling

Shiny_Rock
SparkliesLuver said:

Thank you for keeping an eye out for me but this one looks too orange for my liking. I'd prefer a more bluish toned red even though it might look a little darker.

minousbijoux said:

I was unable to find him online. I found a couple of stones for sale from a Jim McCormick but no red stones and nothing in the size I'm looking for :(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might be able to find a nice red garnet but it'll take a while. I think iLander held out for one for the longest time but found it in the end? This particular garnet looks like it will close up most of the time, requiring strong diffused sunlight to look its best. Can you please post your size requirement and budget? Multicolour is another budget option and is based in Asia.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1438785708|3911436 said:
You might be able to find a nice red garnet but it'll take a while. I think iLander held out for one for the longest time but found it in the end? This particular garnet looks like it will close up most of the time, requiring strong diffused sunlight to look its best. Can you please post your size requirement and budget? Multicolour is another budget option and is based in Asia.

Live and learn! All this time I thought they were State-side!

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Hi there! Did you find your Rho Garnet? Sign up with Jeff White and you'll receive emails on recent cut gems. Just saw a quite hefty size, beautiful color RD, and thought about you. It's already pending sale now, but he said if it doesn't mean definitely sold, so you might have your chance. If you don't sign up to receive his email, I don't think you have access to view the stone. It's beautiful...look at it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results