shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire - what sort of certification

Sonyawp

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I was looking at a very reputable dealers site and there is a sapphire that I really like. However there is no GIA or any other certification except for 'david Atlas'. The ring is a lot. $8k. I would think it would have a certification but I am new to this. Thoughts please? Thank you!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many people will probably echo this, but I would ask the vendor to send it to AGL and make the sale contingent on the prestige report, especially if it is an $8k ring.

Sonyawp

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick reply.

what exactly are they going to verify or certify it Egl? That is an actual sapphire and what else?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They provide information on whether the sapphire is natural or synthetic as well as the degree of treatment it has received. While many gem labs provide this, AGL is to colored stones what GIA is to diamonds for buyers.

Here's a link from AGL with some more info:
http://aglgemlab.com/the-prestige-report/

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely ask the vendor to send it to AGL, though if it's the ring I think it is I'm not sure if you need the origin info from the Prestige Report, or just treatment level with the Gem Brief (to verify it's either untreated or heat only)... :confused:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Marlow :wavey:

Not to get off-topic here, but aren't Lotus quickly becoming the #2 lab amongst the opinion of PS'ers for colored stones?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Jordy, I don't know. I think most of the bigger labs like GRS, GIA, AGL and Lotus will do a good job - for special gems like Colored Diamonds or Corundum I would take GIA for the Diamonds or AGL/Lotus for corundum ( spinel - fine red/pink or Cobalt too).

I have a small ( 0,55) but very fine burmese ruby - eyeclean with only extremely fine silk ( need 20x magnification and strong light from the side) - I think about a Lotus Report course if really unheated it is a small but really valuable gem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results