shape
carat
color
clarity

Alex from Multicolorgems - Worth 20k?

harpua

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm exploring e-ring choices and since my SO loves purple, I am duly looking at high-grade Alex...

Would you all please give me your opinions on this stone from MCG? Is it worth what they are asking?

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?4118570

I want something really really exceptional for her so the uniqueness and rarity of the stone/ring is very important. Other options and recommendations would be welcome.

Also, any other Alex vendors I should be looking at, either for stones or full rings?

Your help is very much appreciated!

Harp

Cognition

Rough_Rock
Strong color change, not too grayish daylight color, great incandescent color, 1ct+, precision cut, eye clean (actually this one has a "noticeable" inclusion, but it is not easily spotted). That alex almost has everything, with exception of pretty dark daylight color's tone.

The real question right now:

1.have you ever seen alex in person? alex is not a gem for everyone imo.

2. do you like dark colored gem? descent brazilian alex is notoriously known for having a darker tone than alex from other part of the globe. If you don't and you can't appreciate the strong color change phenomenon of this brazilian alex, I doubt you will like this one.

Personally, I prefer the finest indian or tanzanian alex over its brazilian counterpart. Even though most of indian alex has brownish/grayish incandescent color, I had seen several indian alex that can rival brazilian alex's incandescent color. Basically, the finest indian and tanzanian alex that I had seen have the best color both ways (medium tone and good saturation) and very strong change.

If you want to get a top of the line alex, multicolour is your best bet. However, try to contact Paul Wild group. If you are in Asia, Try to contact:
Seenu from Wild's Thai branch
http://stores.ebay.com/wildsglobalminerals/

or
Ms. Yuen / Evelyn from Wild's HK branch
852-3101 1900

They also have showroom in germany and NY, US. However, I do not have contact info from these branches. Sometimes, they had a top of the line alex.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your SO would have to be okay with a dark gem. Personally, though I think alexandrites are cool because of the colour change, I couldn't handle the dark tone (which will look even darker once set). Would you consider an exceptional purple sapphire? Is size important (you could get a decent sized one for that budget)? So many people don't even realize that sapphires come in colours other than blue, so a fine purple could be equally impressive in terms of uniqueness and rarity, in my humble opinion.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I collect Alexandrite and I very rarely disagree with David at Multicolour. However, in this instance, I really don't like that stone (or the price tag) because the daylight colour is dark and too close to the incandescent colour (which is also dark). I'd love to see a video of this stone because David's commentary doesn't match the photos. The whole point about an Alex is that it changes from green to purple (or even a blue/green to a purple). If I wanted a blue to purple then I'd look at a colour change sapphire. For that price I would definitely look at a more traditional Alex.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD |1437841142|3907308 said:
I collect Alexandrite and I very rarely disagree with David at Multicolour. However, in this instance, I really don't like that stone (or the price tag) because the daylight colour is dark and too close to the incandescent colour (which is also dark). I'd love to see a video of this stone because David's commentary doesn't match the photos. The whole point about an Alex is that it changes from green to purple (or even a blue/green to a purple). If I wanted a blue to purple then I'd look at a colour change sapphire. For that price I would definitely look at a more traditional Alex.

This. I have a Brazilian alex similar to this one in size and, I thought, tone as I consider mine on the medium dark to dark side. But MC's is just plain dark! I was surprised that he didn't include a video. I would assume that due to its darkness, you might miss much of the dramatic color change and end up with something that is more subdued.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1437850078|3907376 said:
LD |1437841142|3907308 said:

This. I have a Brazilian alex similar to this one in size and, I thought, tone as I consider mine on the medium dark to dark side. But MC's is just plain dark! I was surprised that he didn't include a video. I would assume that due to its darkness, you might miss much of the dramatic color change and end up with something that is more subdued.

Interesting you think that, since David's description states the opposite, 'a lighter toned stone would never show such a prominent change'. I've seen images of seemingly lighter alex with a seemingly stronger change, but I haven't seen enough alex irl to have a proper opinion. I do agree it is overly dark, at least for my tastes.

I was wondering what PSers would think about this stone since I saw it listed.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Brazilian Alexandrite that's very similar in tone and quality. The color change is very strong but difficult to see due to it's dark tone and extinction issues. In mixed lighting it will display it's typical dark teal (think poor quality Sapphire) with neon pink flashes. Most if not all high quality Brazilian Alexandrite suffer from the same extinction issues due to them being cut at the mine by the same person or persons. Good rough material rarely if ever leaves the mine uncut.

If you want an interesting stone and you're ok with it looking like a commercial grade Sapphire the majority of the time then this would be a great stone for you. Like mine I suspect it will display the same hot pink scintillation in mixed lighting, which I find fascinating. It's odd seeing neon pink being pushed out of a dark blue/purple stone. The color isn't going to wow anyone that isn't familiar with this material, so it will more often than not fly under the radar.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1437920630|3907662 said:
I have a Brazilian Alexandrite that's very similar in tone and quality. The color change is very strong but difficult to see due to it's dark tone and extinction issues. In mixed lighting it will display it's typical dark teal (think poor quality Sapphire) with neon pink flashes. Most if not all high quality Brazilian Alexandrite suffer from the same extinction issues due to them being cut at the mine by the same person or persons. Good rough material rarely if ever leaves the mine uncut.

If you want an interesting stone and you're ok with it looking like a commercial grade Sapphire the majority of the time then this would be a great stone for you. Like mine I suspect it will display the same hot pink scintillation in mixed lighting, which I find fascinating. It's odd seeing neon pink being pushed out of a dark blue/purple stone. The color isn't going to wow anyone that isn't familiar with this material, so it will more often than not fly under the radar.

I would say that this is applicable to the majority of alex I've seen. While the best show off their extreme and lovely colorways, most stones spend their time in mixed lighting and will, to use this appropriate euphemism, "fly under the radar" much of the time! ;))

harpua

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your great responses. Made me think twice about Alex...I have been trying to see one in person but extremely hard to find. I will try and see one in person first to experience it first-hand.

NKOTB|1437836155|3907297 said:
Would you consider an exceptional purple sapphire? Is size important (you could get a decent sized one for that budget)? So many people don't even realize that sapphires come in colours other than blue, so a fine purple could be equally impressive in terms of uniqueness and rarity, in my humble opinion.

Thanks NKOTB....took a look at some purple sapphires on MCG, most are heat-treated though...I would imagine that impacts value?

I found this one - thoughts?

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/sapphire/ysa846ab/&930512007

I don't want to go too big as my SO is very petite and don't want to overwhelm the hand. 2-3ct max I would say. Marquise cut appeals to me but any cut will do as long as it is a unique and rare stone.

Any opinions on Africagems? I've seen some nice ones there as well but the descriptions are very inconsistent - the main desc will say untreated and the details will specify heat treatment....a bit shady...like this one:

http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-purple-ja479.html

Uniqueness and rarity is #1 for me....any other purple sapphire recos would be appreciated!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
I think this one is special and unique. Here is the description for the purple sapphire:

This INCREDIBLE 1.73ct Purple Sapphire comes from Ceylon. It stood out among many hundreds of Rubies that we were looking at. It was marked as a Ruby and we couldn't convince the dealer that this label was incorrect, EVEN after we had the gemstone certed as a Sapphire (and another plus of the cert is that it is a Non-Heated gem!). The color is actually the color of many of the Mozambique Fuschia to Purple Tourmalines that we have been purchasing. Note that in person, the color is saturated but shows lots of sparkle and scintillation, with the major color being a deep magenta purple. In 26 years in the gemstone business, we haven't had a little beauty like this. Under incandescent lights it Dances...and could possibly contain Chromium like Ruby. (7.29x5.65x4.87mm) (svd-07-04) $4,545

http://atggems.com/certs/cert_sapph_173pt_oval_purple.jpg

http://atggems.com/Photos_Certed-Gems.htm It is the one towards the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps out in your search. :wavey:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
harpua|1437824073|3907255 said:
Hi all, I'm exploring e-ring choices and since my SO loves purple, I am duly looking at high-grade Alex...

Would you all please give me your opinions on this stone from MCG? Is it worth what they are asking?

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?4118570

I want something really really exceptional for her so the uniqueness and rarity of the stone/ring is very important. Other options and recommendations would be welcome.

Also, any other Alex vendors I should be looking at, either for stones or full rings?

Your help is very much appreciated!

Harp

Since your SO loves purple have you considered purple sapphire? I think you could get an exceptional sapphire with what you would pay for the Alex you posted.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
harpua|1437995004|3907872 said:
* * * Any opinions on Africagems? I've seen some nice ones there as well but the descriptions are very inconsistent - the main desc will say untreated and the details will specify heat treatment....a bit shady...like this one:
http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-purple-ja479.html
AGL concluded that this sapphire had not been heated -- see the AGL Sapphire Brief card that's posted on the page. Looks as if a mistake was made by whoever used AfricaGems's default template for the Gemstone Detail section of the web page.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour on the multicolour one is pretty, but the window would bother me. The marquise Africagems one doesn't look super saturated to me - do you know if SO would like that shape? Are you leaning towards pinky purple, or are bluish purples (or colour changers) an option? I do like the one that lovesvintage posted above, from ATG.

I like this one from Africagems, though I would either wait for a sale or try and negotiate on price, if possible: http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-purple-ja109.html

Another option: http://www.africagems.com/oval-purple-sapphire-g2k-92561289.html

Here's a finished ring from Julia B, and you could always ask her what other purple she has in stock: https://www.etsy.com/listing/196561763/purple-sapphire-engagement-ring-untreted

Cognition

Rough_Rock
somehow I missed to check this thread last time I was online :sick: :sick:

Actually I disagree with LD's opinion on this. Although I agree that the stone is extremely dark. If this alex has the real blue colorways as represented by the pic.

note: in my monitor the daylight color looks like greenish blue than green-blue. However, I do understand the difficulties of photographing an alex and MC's color rating which is quite subjective. I believe they are using something like gia gemset or gemewizard.

I think this is an extremely rare and collectible alex. Honestly, I never seen blue daylight color alex before! I know you can get a blue to purple cc sapphire at much lower price. However, on a collector pov who have way too much money to burn, this alex might be the one :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

This is only my opinion tho. I am not an alex expert like LD. I did admired all of your alexs you posted here years ago :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB said:
Here's a finished ring from Julia B, and you could always ask her what other purple she has in stock: https://www.etsy.com/listing/196561763/purple-sapphire-engagement-ring-untreted

Has anyone ever AGL tested a stone from Julia B?

Not asking (or challenging) you directly, NKOTB, your post just brought to mind all the times she's been recommended here.

She seems to claim a lot of untreated stones without any proof . . . ? And they're pretty inexpensive.

Just wondering . . .

:confused:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1439483871|3914126 said:
NKOTB said:

Has anyone ever AGL tested a stone from Julia B?

Not asking (or challenging) you directly, NKOTB, your post just brought to mind all the times she's been recommended here.

She seems to claim a lot of untreated stones without any proof . . . ? And they're pretty inexpensive.

Just wondering . . .

:confused:

Hmmmm........

The thought of a lab report from Julia B never crossed my mind. Might be worth sending mine (pre-loved ring) to the lab unless someone can chime in and tell us that they have a lab report from a Julia B ring or gemstone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results