shape
carat
color
clarity

Vent about LAD response and some lessons

sparklyfruit

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I’m a very long time lurker and have been compelled to post for the first time in about 8 years, partly to vent, but to also hopefully help others. Apologies in advance for the incredibly long post.

I have a beautiful rose gold and platinum Bella halo from LAD. I received this ring 8 months ago and had been nothing but happy with the craftsmanship and service. Before I continue, I will make it clear that I am still happy with the craftsmanship of the ring I received and their designs and stones are lovely.

Just a few nights ago, I had an accident while opening a door and broke the shank on my ring. I immediately contacted LAD to describe what had happened, expressed my disbelief at being able to do what I did, and asked if anything could be done to fix it. At this point I had only attached 1 photo, so I followed up the next day with more photos, more disbelief at myself, and a more detailed description of what I think had happened. I also stated my concerns about sending my ring back as I’m in Australia. I left this as open dialogue to see if there were any suggestions (maybe the possibility of un-mounting the stone and sending the setting back by itself).

The email that arrived in my inbox was a bit of a shock. It outright stated that what I had said happened, could not have happened. I’m sorry, but what? Why would I say I damaged my ring a certain way if it didn’t happen that way? Why would I not say it was run over as suggested, if that’s what actually happened? I really can’t see how that would help anyone. At least the email did address my one question about what could be done. I replied back with more photos as requested and re-iterated that I hadn’t done anything to my ring beyond open the door. By this stage I’m left feeling rather miffed at the accusatory tone of the email, so decided to follow some local bench suggestions and book in an appointment.

I was awaiting an email back from LAD with a rough quote to fix the shank and the email arrived this morning. While I was provided with the quote, yet again, I was given another mythbusters/physics lesson on how what happened, could not have happened. The next suggestion was that it had been through a garbage disposal unit. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen one outside tv and while my photos aren’t great, you can clearly see that the setting has not been through something like that. My correspondence with LAD ended there and they have now lost me as a customer. While I can take (with annoyance) one email practically stating me as a liar, I will not take two.

I met with the local bench today and described what had happened. He explained that while it’s very rare, these things can happen, especially with more delicate settings (which I had knowingly purchased and accepted that issues like pave falling out could occur). He then went on to suggest that a bit more gold be added to the new shank that needs to be created, to help make it a bit more sturdy in case my hand decides to hulk out on my ring again. The new shank will also be hand forged which will help with its strength.

I only wish that LAD could have made these helpful suggestions. If the first reply I had received was a simple “Hey, that’s crazy. It looks like the whole shank will need to be replaced and we need to see if the head is okay. You might also want to consider a plain band or thicker shank. It might help in future with your super strong hand.” That would have been helpful and a way to move forward.

I showed my email exchange to a very level headed friend and she suggested that maybe my earlier emails were misinterpreted and LAD thought I was implying that it was their fault. Had that been the case, I would have just come out and said that. Either way, we both don't think that the replies I received were warranted.

Hopefully there will be some good lessons that come out of this:
1) For those considering more delicate settings, please keep in mind that once in a blue moon, these things can happen, even to those of us who think we’re very careful. If the thought of potentially needing to replace a setting (albeit very unlikely) is worth it for the beauty, go ahead and enjoy! If not, maybe have a chat to your jeweler and see if there’s a happy medium somewhere.

2) For any vendors who get emails like the ones I sent. Please don’t go on the defensive and accuse your customers of lying. They’re most likely trying to come to terms with their superhuman hand crushing skills and are just seeking helpful solutions.

I will attach some photos in following posts and the entirety of my email correspondence so I haven’t unwillingly omitted anything.

Thanks for letting me vent.

sparklyfruit

Rough_Rock
I've just had a horrible accident with my ring. I was opening a door and it snapped the ring. :(
I only wear my ring on weekends as i know it's delicate. Is there anything that can be done to fix it?? 2 of the melee have also popped out. I've attached a picture.

Here are a few more clearer photos of my broken Bella :(

It seems to have snapped right under one of the melee stones and crushed from there. I'm so shocked that it happened. I don't know how I could have opened a door any differently... except to not use my ring hand at all. I was wearing it right next to my wedding ring in the last photo and that's still a perfect round.

I'm not sure what can be done. I'm also hesitant to send my entire ring back as I will be hit by gst back into Australia which will pretty much be the cost of a brand new setting.

Wow - your ring has had some trauma! I'm not sure what you did but simply opening a door couldn't possibly have caused that to happen. Not only is the shank broken in several places, but it's also completely out of round, which means that is was crushed or squeezed in some way, separate from your band. Looks like it got run over by something?

I'm afraid the only thing that can be done is to re-shank it, IF the basket is undamaged, which I can't tell from the pics. I can get a quote from my jeweler, but can't give a final price until we assess it in person.

I'm hoping the ring is insured!

I’m just sending you more photos.

Nothing else was done except that I just tried to open a door. I wish it was run over, at least that would explain why it managed to break so completely. I felt the setting crumble as I squeezed to turn the doorknob. In no way did I ever expect it could manage to get so mangled from such a mundane act. And I can promise you that I’m not even that strong.

I don’t believe that the basket is broken. Sorry, I can’t take great photos. Let me know if you need me to keep trying. The head seems perfectly fine. It’s the band that has been completely ruined.

And no insurance here. I made a calculated decision not to as I’m very careful with my jewellery. I never imagined that something like this could even happen from normal wear.

The shank of the ring couldn't have crumbled just from gripping a doorknob unless it had previously been damaged or cracked in some way. The ring almost looks as though it ran through a garbage disposal, or was crushed by something. It would take a fair bit of force to bend the shank that way. Even if the shank had a crack in it, and it split upon grabbing the doorknob, it would have simply broken in that spot. But the shank is completely bent and out of round, which couldn't have happened from opening a door.

In any case, whatever may have caused the damage, the only way to repair it would be to reshank the ring. I can't tell from the pics if the halo is all right or not - I would have to take a look in person to see if the basket can be salvaged. If so, we can reshank the ring for $2,000 assuming 7/8 eternity pave, like the original. Alternately we can do a plain non-pave shank for $950.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vent away. I think there was a long thread once about how the current rage is to go super delicate but with that also comes a higher risk of the ring not being able to withstand the usual daily stresses of life, becoming off-round or even breaking.

sparklyfruit

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono :)
The funny thing is that you never think it will happen to you. But it can!
I think if I manage to do it again, I will definitely consider more sturdier options and possibly forgo any melee at all. Touch wood it doesn't come to that.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! How is your FINGER?! That is unfortunate to see. The response is sad. Are you filing a claim?

Can you contact Jewels by Grace or VC or something along those lines and see if maybe their benches can replace the shank and repair any damage to the head? They also do antique style work, and might be able to help.

sparklyfruit

Rough_Rock
My finger is actually fine! It squished into my finger, but it only got so far before I pulled my hand back. I could still take it off and put it back on.
I actually chose not to insure because the premiums were ridiculous. Getting the shank completely replaced is cheaper than the premiums, so I'm still ahead :). The local bench I'm having work on it was recommended by a poster here and he seems to do some good work. He checked the head and nothing had happened to it so that's all good! Really looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm so sorry this happened to you and wow my first thought was also how is your finger!! Happy to hear you are ok. Thank you for sharing this. I also read the threads Chrono referred to about thin shanks and related problems. May I ask, how thin was your shank? I think it would be very good to know for someone considering this setting... :think:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I am so sorry that happened to your ring! I honestly did not take Erica's comments quite the way you did, though. Just opening a door does not seem like it could mangle a shank like that, because my rings normally don't even touch a door handle when I open it. But that certainly doesn't mean I think you are lying. It just means that is hard to believe that much damage could have happened just opening a door, even with a thin pave shank. I have heard of some of LM's very thin pave shanks going out of round or losing stones, though. It sounds like you have a good bench where you are and that would be easier for the repair. I'd just make the shank wider (2mm+) whether you have pave this time or not since we do know that thin pave shanks are more delicate and susceptible to damage. Hope it all turns out well in the end!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it odd that someone would say that it "couldn't" have happened that way. It's almost like using the word "never". Like my
kids would never...just don't use it because it will come back to haunt you. I can understand disbelief/shock that turning a door
handle could have done it but not out right implying that you are not telling the truth. Why wouldn't you? It's not like the damage is
covered if you did it by trying to open a door but not covered if you ran over it. We all know that thin bands with pave
work are delicate. It could have snapped when your hand hit the door then when you applied pressure and twisted the knob
it could have then bent it out of round and snapped the now loose pave out.

I guess I dont see how it happened as that big of deal. Just needs to be fixed. Sounds like whoever responded to you at LAD
was on the defensive.

Hope you can get it fixed without too much issue. I would consider doing a non-pave shank...or at least going wider on the
shank.

Just like diamonds are one of the hardest things on earth and you would think impossible to break but every now and then someone
comes on PS that has broken/chipped/cracked their stone. Sh*t/life happens. :((

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
OOCH, glad to hear your OK!
Pardon my ignorance, but what does LAD stand for?

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Love Affair Diamonds

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also caught my setting on a door... Torqued it good... Called Chris at BE because he made it. He said to ship it back. He fixed it... No questions asked I paid shipping both ways. I was looking for the picture I posted. Couldn't find it but the whole experience with BE made it so less tramatic. I was in tears when it happened. My finger was sore but my ring took the brunt of it.

Found it...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ouch.184265/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ouch.184265/[/URL]

Doors are dangerous.

The fix...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-fixed-and-a-new-friend-from-erd-dbty-sapphire-bracelet.184754/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-fixed-and-a-new-friend-from-erd-dbty-sapphire-bracelet.184754/[/URL]

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
weird things happen from time to time but looking at the pics I think my response would have been about the same.
The force it would take to do that is out of proportion to the story.
That does not mean I am calling you a liar it is just way weird.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That looks like it was painful, for both you & the ring! Shite can happen. It happened to me just about a month ago opening a door at the Cheesecake Factory. :wall: Clearly, the ring is damaged, clearly the head is still intact, it wasn't mulched by anything. I hope you get this fixed pronto & get that beautiful ring back on your finger. I wouldnt steer away from pave in the shank, I would however thicken the depth & the width. The trend ( as mentioned by Chrono) for these super skinny delicate shanks is really just about looks & not about the integrity of the ring. Some benches won't do super skinny for this reason. My eternity, which is almost all around except for a sizing bar has both width & depth. I never lost a stone & it didn't snap apart. I'm not sure if had been gold & not platinum would it have.

Public Service Announcement:...... :lol:
I mention the restaurant because they have these super long vertical door handles that if you grab cup the bottom part of it, you may experience my dilemma. Otherwise, pull at the middle of the handle to open in. Or, pay more attention & don't be clutzy. :loopy:

Eternity-OVAL-2_zpsmyepa9oc.jpg

Eternity--OVAL-1_zpsdirafrzu.jpg

Eternity-OVAL-3-_zpsstxmsiv9.jpg

Smile...it will work out. =)
Judy

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I can totally see how that could happen. I am very very hard on my rings. A lot of them are out of round at the very least. I remember making my platinum setting out of round just from carrying an infant car seat with a 15lb baby in it, twisted another ring when the band got caught in the big metal recycling bin, and on and on.... I can write a book on what not to do to your jewelry. I get in a hurry and things happen so I can see how that could happen to your ring, you grab the knob too hard, too much pressure on the band, breaks, melee pops out and the shank gets pushed out of shape. Sorry this happened to you. Guess LAD could have handle it better but sometimes, you write an email and it just comes out wrong. Hope you get it fix so you can wear your gorgeous ring again.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I find it odd that someone would say that it "couldn't" have happened that way. It's almost like using the word "never". Like my
kids would never...just don't use it because it will come back to haunt you. I can understand disbelief/shock that turning a door
handle could have done it but not out right implying that you are not telling the truth. Why wouldn't you? It's not like the damage is
covered if you did it by trying to open a door but not covered if you ran over it. We all know that thin bands with pave
work are delicate. It could have snapped when your hand hit the door then when you applied pressure and twisted the knob
it could have then bent it out of round and snapped the now loose pave out.

I guess I dont see how it happened as that big of deal. Just needs to be fixed. Sounds like whoever responded to you at LAD
was on the defensive.

Hope you can get it fixed without too much issue. I would consider doing a non-pave shank...or at least going wider on the
shank.

Just like diamonds are one of the hardest things on earth and you would think impossible to break but every now and then someone
comes on PS that has broken/chipped/cracked their stone. Sh*t/life happens. :((

THIS!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Holy crap--lucky you still have your finger--just like Jimmy Fallon! :saint:

I never say "never" with jewellery. Hope your ring is repaired to your satisfaction.

cheers--Sharon

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aren't these types of rings just like sheet metal holding the diamonds, I would expect them to bend. Would cast not be better at having more depth beneath the stone. I remember a time ago someone had a cast one which broke and there were questions of porosity though.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi folks!

Hopping on to post a response, though the OP's copying and pasting of our emails pretty much covers our correspondence on the matter.

To the OP - my apologies that you felt the tone of my emails was accusatory - that was not at all my intention and I'm sorry that it came across that way. I confess I was very frank and immediate in my reaction and response - I just couldn't see how turning a doorknob, in and of itself (with no prior damage whatsoever), could have caused a ring to break in multiple places and crush in an upward fashion, and I still can't I'm afraid - so that's what I wrote and I see now that I could have been more sensitive in my tone.

In any case, as I said in my last email you you, we can reshank the ring as long as the halo is undamaged, which I can't tell from the pics - one part of the halo looks as though it could be bent but it's possibly just the angle of the photo. You mentioned that the halo looks to be in good shape, in which case we can reshank the ring, however it would be at your expense per the prices I had quoted you. It seems that upon receiving the pricing for the repair, you opted to post this thread on PS, and if you don't want to do business with LAD again, I will respect that. However should you wish to proceed with the repair, I will be happy to move forward with that as well.

Having it done locally may be a less expensive option, once you factor in shipping. Since you picked up your ring in person, yes, duties could be an issue, since there's no trail of me shipping the ring to you, which customs will require in order for us to claim a repair so that duties are waived upon entry into the US and reentry when I send it back. But I would just need a copy of the original customs docs to support the duties you paid when you brought the ring home, so that they would not charge you again.

If you'd like to further discuss the repair, I am available.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mayk|1439303436|3913301 said:
I also caught my setting on a door... Torqued it good... Called Chris at BE because he made it. He said to ship it back. He fixed it... No questions asked I paid shipping both ways. I was looking for the picture I posted. Couldn't find it but the whole experience with BE made it so less tramatic. I was in tears when it happened. My finger was sore but my ring took the brunt of it.

Found it...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ouch.184265/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ouch.184265/[/URL]

Doors are dangerous.

The fix...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-fixed-and-a-new-friend-from-erd-dbty-sapphire-bracelet.184754/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-fixed-and-a-new-friend-from-erd-dbty-sapphire-bracelet.184754/[/URL]

Yikes! I bet that hurt! Looking at your damaged ring I would also suggest that the ring had "caught" on something, or been squeezed/crushed/twisted. But what the OP has described is that her ring was fine and she turned a door knob, as she had done a thousand times before, and the ring crumbled on her finger and the shank bent upwards. Without the ring having been wedged or caught on anything.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Sorry if I missed it, but what karat gold is your setting? I know 18k is not as strong as 14k, so I'm wondering if that contributed as well?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
All that damage from just opening a door is crazy. It looks more like they were compressed because a door closed on it. Glad to hear your fingers are okay.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've done similar damage to ring shanks. Usually, though, I picked up the handle of something heavy. Picked up something like a car battery, or some equipment in a carrying case. The finger flattens out against the handle and that forcibly ovals the ring shank. The shank must distort somehow, and possibly it fractures or breaks. Yeah, I could see how pulling on a really heavy door could cause that damage. I have at least 2 rings right now that need to be reshanked.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen pave shanks bent out of shape and damaged like that by being caught in something that is a stronger metal or object than the metal in the ring too. I am an Aussie so it might be wise to point out unlike the US most homes do NOT have garbage disposal units in their sinks or anywhere else here it is not that common at all... so I totally believe you.

Let me know if you want the name of some good jewellers here.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband and I hadn't even been married a year when his first wedding band broke. We were at a Christmas party and he went to pick up up his drink glass when I noticed he had the strangest look on his face. He opened his hand and a section of his ring fell out. He took the ring off and it broke into about 4 or 5 pieces. In this case it was faulty casting (too porous) and was weak from the start. But who knew that just closing your hand around a glass could do this. It's one of those strange but true incidents.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I'm sorry this happened. The ring is way too thin. It needs to be much wider and taller. Could maybe have had porosity too?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can definitely happen. I once terribly mangled a ring closing my car door. It was not a thin shank and although it did not break, it was really bent out of shape. Somehow I caught it on the corner of the window and when I went to slam the door, the force pulled on the ring and did the damage. It was my favorite ring at the time and luckily it was repaired, but these freakish things can happen even to rings that are not so delicate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results