shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I being too picky?

Lodilaker

Rough_Rock
Hello all- I am in need of your expertise on my custom reset I designed and just received. This is the 5th setting I have tried for my 2.03 ct. G color VS1 princess. My husband and I collaborated our ideas and this is we we came up with...I purchased the traps (.60 ct. tw) to make this but am questioning the pave on the sides(1.00 ct. tw.). Do you think it is a keeper or back to the drawing board? I think I need to hear honest opinions because everyone I show in person is going to say they love it because they know how long I worked on it. Thank you!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without knowing your vision for the ring, it is hard to know if this is the right iteration for you - do you have photos/images of your inspiration ring(s)? Were the prior 4 versions similar to this style of setting, or was each completely different from each other?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, as requested, based on the photos alone, and without knowing anything about your inspiration/design process/etc., the paved diamonds makes the ring far too busy and takes my eyes away from the traps and centre princess cut stone.

I had to take a closer second look in order to see the traps!

DK :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lodilaker :wavey:

Well! That's a whole lotta ring! To be honest, there is so much going on there that I'm having trouble making out the details. In the second photo, is there a second diamond ring beneath your new ring? It looks for all the world as though there is.

So - just to try to get a clearer picture of what your setting is...are the princess center stone and traps raised, then the band pave is set lower, more or less on your finger, and an eternity style? And - how wide is the band? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of very wide bands. I think I'd be looking more for a slender band - either with pave or without - and also to drop the center stone significantly so it regained contact with the traps - which I'd have set on an angle. For my own taste, I prefer a softer, more fluid shape, but even if you prefer a more architectural, structured look, it's hard to see where you're going with this ring, as there's so much going on.

On the other hand, I'm not positive I'm seeing it as it really is. Is all of that one ring? Or is it stacked against other rings? And if it's just one ring - how many rows of pave does it have? I like a multi row pave band as a RHR - but not with a center stone; it just gets swallowed.

If you want a lot of bling, how about your princess stone, the tapered traps, then tapered baguettes - all set so that they run more smoothly together around your finger? Then you could pair it with a pave band and bling it out! That way - maximum sparkle, but your princess stone still stands out. As it is, I don't think you're making the most of your lovely 2ct center stone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am not sure I understand--what is it you think you are being too "picky" about? Also, is this the 5th (completely) different setting, or design/reiteration of the same ring?

Can you share your inspiration?

cheers--Sharon

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends if you want a thick band type ring with a lot going on or a more simple setting which shows off the three main stones. The latter is more my taste, but it really is about what you wanted to achieve in the first place.

Lodilaker

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your advice...over the years I have had this stone in every kind of setting except the three stone so I thought I would try to go custom with a friend of mine who's a jeweler I've known for over 25 years. the problem is his cad equipment is older so I couldn't see what the finished product would look like. I did ask him to raise the traps but he took some creative license with it and I was too afraid to ask him to do another wax because I didn't want to hurt his feelings (my fault). The ring is actually beautiful in real-life and fits my body proportionately (10 mm). I am 5'9" tall and definitely not petite but I think what I will do is go to a more contemporary jeweler who can hopefully bring my ideas to fruition before my 20th anniversary in May. I attached one more pic for the road.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: I'm also 5'9" and my fingers are long, I can handle a good-sized ring too. So I don't think the overall space taken up on your finger is too much, but I do believe the pave and the traps fight each other. How about a pave band for the days you don't want to wear this blingtastic ring? Quality pave is hard to do, if your jeweler does it well you might think about a pave band.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what it is you are being picky about? Is it that you are not quite 100% on the ring and don't want to be picky by having it reworked? :confused:

Fwiw, I couldn't even see the traps at first. I had to really look at the photos to pick them out. They are very nice with your center stone, but those three stones are hard to see with all of the other things going on. It may just be the photos though? :wall: It looks like you have a lot nice ideas though, but maybe they weren't executed quite the way you wanted. I agree that the prongs look at bit thick or like they don't quite fit with parts of the design. I applaud you for getting more input especially if you aren't happy with the outcome. Your ring is important to you and hopefully you can share some inspiration pics to get more input especially if you want to remake it. :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1439256945|3913164 said:
Here's an example of a three stone with diamonds on the band. Was this the thought going in?

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-ring-three-stone-uber-ring-with-micro-pave-and-scroll-details-so4176-

I like the last picture better. My first thought was the prongs look heavy. I can relate to setting changes. I reset my e-ring three times and just sent my RHR off to reset.

IMO, this is how to do a 3 stone with pave on the shank. I think if you want more pave then get pave bands that match the
ering band to wear on either side. That will also give you more finger coverage.

Edit ...next time you decide to have it done, come here and post your CADs to get input. PSers have had lots of experience
at looking at CADS and making minor adjustments that help with the overall look and beauty of the setting. Of course we
have to know your vision in order to help you get what you want from the setting.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1439266445|3913208 said:
I'm not sure what it is you are being picky about? Is it that you are not quite 100% on the ring and don't want to be picky by having it reworked? :confused:

Fwiw, I couldn't even see the traps at first. I had to really look at the photos to pick them out. They are very nice with your center stone, but those three stones are hard to see with all of the other things going on. It may just be the photos though? :wall: It looks like you have a lot nice ideas though, but maybe they weren't executed quite the way you wanted. I agree that the prongs look at bit thick or like they don't quite fit with parts of the design. I applaud you for getting more input especially if you aren't happy with the outcome. Your ring is important to you and hopefully you can share some inspiration pics to get more input especially if you want to remake it. :wavey:
All of this.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lodilaker|1439227580|3912994 said:
I think I need to hear honest opinions....

I don't like Princess cuts at all, so if you were drawn to that cut, we have different taste in jewelry. My honest opinion is that this particular ring is very square, unlike people or fingers, and looks machine-made. But, again, we have different taste. Good luck.

usnwife

Rough_Rock
I am like you, and I have been through many resets. Sometimes, doing everything you love, just ends up being too many elements for 1 ring. The photos of the profile remind of a sparkle castle on a white sand beach. The flat pave band portion seems to distract my eyes from the large center stone(which due to the wide band doesn't look like 2cts), and like the others, I didn't even notice the traps right away. I have no clue what you are looking for, or what your inspiration for the ring is, or even if, you have the right idea and your jeweler can't execute it correctly??? Best of luck growing to love the ring or starting over with another reset.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring profile is nice but the front view is not so good in my opinion. Wonder if bezel setting the traps would help or not or remove some melee on the band maybe building the design to a point towards the traps.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Well, having gone from a RB, to a Princess and back to an RB, I'm wondering if it is the center stone that doesn't sing to you? During the period when I had my princess cut centerstone, I changed the setting a couple times, never finding the right look that I wanted to achieve....turns out, the modern shape of the stone just didn't match my traditional personality. When I upgraded at my 10 year anniversary, I went back to a traditional RB, and was in love! Even in a plain solitaire, it just sings to me! Perhaps you should explore other shapes?

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Mayk|1439256945|3913164 said:
Here's an example of a three stone with diamonds on the band. Was this the thought going in?

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-ring-three-stone-uber-ring-with-micro-pave-and-scroll-details-so4176-

I like the last picture better. My first thought was the prongs look heavy. I can relate to setting changes. I reset my e-ring three times and just sent my RHR off to reset.

This DBL one is great, if you are looking for a similar but more streamlined style.

I would never volunteer this if you weren't already doubting it, and I say this having been disappointed in custom work I've had done too: the heavy metal on the edges of your band, as well as the way the 3 stones are set above it, looks pretty clunky and dated to me.

If you are open to ditching the pavé, I love how the traps are integrated with the center (cushion, but I think would work just as nicely with a princess) in Ricezo/Neil's chrysoberyl 3 stone that David Klass did, and he would be a great guy to redo this for you.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-chryso-diamond-ring-by-niel-david-klass.215263/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-chryso-diamond-ring-by-niel-david-klass.215263/[/URL]

Lodilaker

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline|1439322451|3913426 said:
Lodilaker|1439227580|3912994 said:
I think I need to hear honest opinions....

I don't like Princess cuts at all, so if you were drawn to that cut, we have different taste in jewelry. My honest opinion is that this particular ring is very square, unlike people or fingers, and looks machine-made. But, again, we have different taste. Good luck.

Wow, Where is this hostility towards princesses and square shapes coming from? I am not sure why you wasted your valuable time letting me know your ring shape preference...everyone else has given constructive criticism and offered great advice, I thought that is what this site was for.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lodilaker - Tourmaline was explaining where her comments were coming from - why she finds your ring very square etc. I think if someone is going to make dissenting comments, it's reasonable to explain why - which is what she did. And you did ask for honest opinions, so not all of them will be positive or to your taste. She's also right about fingers being round and princess cuts being square - which is why it might not be giving you good synergy on your hand.

One thing is for sure though - if you describe opinions that disagree with your own as 'hostility', then wander into the sarcastic with phrases like 'your precious time' - you will effectively stop other people sharing their opinions with you, which you may have found useful, and that would be a shame.

Lodilaker

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1439343654|3913551 said:
Lodilaker - Tourmaline was explaining where her comments were coming from - why she finds your ring very square etc. I think if someone is going to make dissenting comments, it's reasonable to explain why - which is what she did. And you did ask for honest opinions, so not all of them will be positive or to your taste. She's also right about fingers being round and princess cuts being square - which is why it might not be giving you good synergy on your hand.

One thing is for sure though - if you describe opinions that disagree with your own as 'hostility', then wander into the sarcastic with phrases like 'your precious time' - you will effectively stop other people sharing their opinions with you, which you may have found useful, and that would be a shame.

Like you said , I asked for honest opinions and am by no means offended or defensive. I love All things jewelry and it is supposed to be fun so I am not sure why anyone who made it very clear she did not like the shape of my stone would feel she had anything constructive to offer on the subject unless she was suggesting I get a different shape stone and that is not an option for sentimental reasons.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am princess cut lover myself so I'll chime in. I find the prongs holding the pave a bit heavy and it takes away from the princess cut and traps. I think the polished flat edge accentuates it like a frame. I think the princess and traps are sitting up a bit too high as well (just my opinion but then I like lower set diamonds). I've seen many lovely princess cut diamond rings so please don't be discouraged. You just have to find the right design for you? My 10th anniversary ring is a princess cut and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about yellow diamond traps or some coloured diamond row or rows in the pave.

Lodilaker

Rough_Rock
Well ladies, I think I know what I need to .... Going to a new jeweler and putting the princess and traps on a thin band , may forgo the pave altogether. The combined width of traps and princess is 15mm so there will be plenty of finger coverage. I have several different variations of bands I can wear with it if I need a little more bling or width and i will come up with a plan for the wide setting, probably make it a RHR as I think it has potential if I add color. Thanks again for the confirmation of my thoughts and not making me feel like I am expecting too much as I am thankful for what I have, it just doesn't make my heart sing as many of you mentioned. I hope 6th time is a charm, will post pics when done...TTFN

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I think that sounds like a good plan. I have been there and when I first get back a new piece, if I am not in love, I try to convince myself I love it and that I am being difficult. I can tell you from experience, you probably won't fall in love if you aren't in those first hours. After many resets and finally changing shapes and then one more reset, I finally found one that I love and adore daily-I hope the same for you on the 6th try!! Good luck and keep us posted!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great to hear your new plans. :) Hope this goes smoothly for you and that you end up with a ring you truly love.

If you need any names for jewelers who would be able to bring your plans to life, let us know. We've got a bunch of good ones!

Good luck!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think maybe sentimental reasons are not enough to make you like the appearance of a Princess cut, with a ring that does nothing to help it. I think your obnoxiousness shows that I may have hit a chord of truth. Five resets indicate that the common factor (the center stone) isn't working for you. But whatever. Get mad at me. Notice that nobody has complimented your ring. I think maybe asking for honest opinions backfired.

Lodilaker

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline|1439392869|3913704 said:
I think maybe sentimental reasons are not enough to make you like the appearance of a Princess cut, with a ring that does nothing to help it. I think your obnoxiousness shows that I may have hit a chord of truth. Five resets indicate that the common factor (the center stone) isn't working for you. But whatever. Get mad at me. Notice that nobody has complimented your ring. I think maybe asking for honest opinions backfired.

Oh contraire, I am not mad at you nor do I feel my post backfired as I received the confirmation of the design flaws that I was seeking. The fact that no one complimented my ring does not hurt me as you hoped, it inspires me to create a beautiful, sentimental treasure.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lodilaker, I admire the grace exhibited in your post above - and please remember more than a few of PSers have been through a similar journey of settings before the right design is reached - I am certain you will end up with the perfect ring to showcase your lovely diamonds. Please keep us updated as things progress.

Lodilaker

Rough_Rock
marymm|1439401656|3913752 said:
Lodilaker, I admire the grace exhibited in your post above - and please remember more than a few of PSers have been through a similar journey of settings before the right design is reached - I am certain you will end up with the perfect ring to showcase your lovely diamonds. Please keep us updated as things progress.

Thank you so much for the kind words, I appreciate the encouragement and will definitely post re- do pics when I get them : )

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely do not think you're being too picky. It can be really hard to have a vision come to fruition in a custom piece. So many on PS know that from experience (I am one of them!). And lots on PS have done countless resets, so you have found your tribe, lol.

It takes some courage to ask for feedback and constructive advice on a sentimental piece and I feel you have taken the comments very graciously.

Sometimes photos of inspiration rings can help when communicating with the jeweler. Someone like David Klass who has a lot of experience creating many different style rings with many different types of stones could be a great option for you. Just look at his Facebook page and you will see.

I like princess cuts but they're not my personal favorite, but that is totally irrelevant. It's what you love and it's your ring. That being said, I think the traps will look smashing with your princess center stone if set a bit differently. I think your ring would be spectacular with a bit more fluidity and simplicity to highlight the lovely center stone and trap side stones. I do feel the center stone and traps look kind of plunked down on the shank. I'm wondering if the three stones could be more integrated into the shank and that could help with the overall silhouette.

In any event, please come back if you need inspiration or feedback on future CADS. I hope you find your dream design for your lovely stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results