carat
color
clarity

Tipping a delivery driver

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1438893518|3911943 said:
It seems strange to me that the driver didn't take the money. It has been on our local news lately that certain banks are now refusing to take jars of change as they have done in the past. We order pizza about once a week and have always tripped really well. The bill is usually $14 and I always give the driver $7. The pizza Is always delivered piping hot.

It seemed strange to me too, but obviously not any more...

Well, we are definitely going to start tipping for takeout at our regular pizza place since we go there every Friday, and the girls are nice. I'm doing $2 in $1 bills. I feel OK about $2. (do I hand it over to whoever rings me up? They don't have a tip jar, and there's like a million girls back there).

Yum, that's tomorrow! :lickout:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1438894092|3911946 said:
Calliecake|1438893518|3911943 said:
It seems strange to me that the driver didn't take the money. It has been on our local news lately that certain banks are now refusing to take jars of change as they have done in the past. We order pizza about once a week and have always tripped really well. The bill is usually $14 and I always give the driver $7. The pizza Is always delivered piping hot.

It seemed strange to me too, but obviously not any more...

Well, we are definitely going to start tipping for takeout at our regular pizza place since we go there every Friday, and the girls are nice. I'm doing $2 in $1 bills. I feel OK about $2. (do I hand it over to whoever rings me up? They don't have a tip jar, and there's like a million girls back there).

Yum, that's tomorrow! :lickout:

CJ, I have never tipped for take out, just delivery. I have only picked up the pizza a couple of times. Gosh do you need to tip if there is no tip jar? I wouldn't think you need to CJ. It will be interesting to see what others think.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, we recently started ordering from this place...I'd say maybe about a month or two...and we really like the pizza so I'm sure our Friday night pizza will continue...

That's why I'm doing it, because we go there weekly...

I rarely see anyone ever tip for takeout - and I'm often waiting for my pizza a good 10 minutes...but I like the philosophy behind it, if it's a place you frequent often. $2 won't kill me and if it's the same girls all the time, I like the idea.

(we do the same for the coffee/bagel place girls - we give them a card for the holidays with either $10 $15 or $20 depending on how often we feel we see them...not a lot of $ when you break it up by the whole year but that's all we can do since there's like 10 of them. There are 3 girls in particular we really like - they get my coffee right every time - and the other girls are all just, pleasant...)

(ETA: to tell you the truth I *hope* there is no tip jar...I kind of hate them...I'd rather give to whoever takes care of me...hopefully they'll pool whatever $ they each get later?)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tip for takeout. I always tip when there's food involved.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I'm voting in the rude category. When I waited tables in school, we didn't care how the tip was left: cash, change; I even had regulars leave me the pizza they couldn't finish.
There's been a couple of times I didn't have enough cash for the pizza guy's tip. I put the quarters in a ziploc and tell him I'm sorry and he always laughs and says he doesn't care.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very timely incident last night.

We ordered delivery at 8pm, after our window install finished and we finally got all the blinds reinstalled.

The delivery driver, who is about 40ish years old, got a flat on the way doing his deliveries because a construction plate came loose on the road, damaging his tire and bending his wheel on his car badly. A police officer stopped and helped him put his donut on, and helped make sure he was ok. He called the store, asked for someone to come retrieve the food to finish the deliveries so he wasn't late. The owner FIRED him on the spot because a few customers had called when their food hadn't arrived within 10 minutes and then expected him to make his deliveries. Apparently a police officer went to the store to talk to the manager after helping the driver, and that just pissed off the owner more, prompting the owner to call everyone and tell them what happened and that he fired him for failing to make his deliveries on time because he got a flat tire and that's no excuse for being late on deliveries. When he arrived a little while later, he was shaking and had clearly been crying, DH knows that he had worked there for years and needed this job. They would chat time to time when DH would go there in person to eat vs delivery. No one else tipped him because he was late, they didn't care that he got a flat, and everyone bitched that their food was cold and that he should've gone and gotten fresh food. We gave him $20 cash since we charged it, and apologized. He was their best driver, and we could not believe he was fired over something out of his control.

DH is a regular, and actually plans to go at lunch today and tell the owner that while there might be a history we don't know about, that not only firing the guy over a flat that was well out of his control, calling and telling customers that he fired the driver is out of line and he lost us as customers. He's just crushed over this. He ate there at least twice a week, they knew our order just by our phone number.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1438951294|3912104 said:

We ordered delivery at 8pm, after our window install finished and we finally got all the blinds reinstalled.

The delivery driver, who is about 40ish years old, got a flat on the way doing his deliveries because a construction plate came loose on the road, damaging his tire and bending his wheel on his car badly. A police officer stopped and helped him put his donut on, and helped make sure he was ok. He called the store, asked for someone to come retrieve the food to finish the deliveries so he wasn't late. The owner FIRED him on the spot because a few customers had called when their food hadn't arrived within 10 minutes and then expected him to make his deliveries. Apparently a police officer went to the store to talk to the manager after helping the driver, and that just pissed off the owner more, prompting the owner to call everyone and tell them what happened and that he fired him for failing to make his deliveries on time because he got a flat tire and that's no excuse for being late on deliveries. When he arrived a little while later, he was shaking and had clearly been crying, DH knows that he had worked there for years and needed this job. They would chat time to time when DH would go there in person to eat vs delivery. No one else tipped him because he was late, they didn't care that he got a flat, and everyone bitched that their food was cold and that he should've gone and gotten fresh food. We gave him $20 cash since we charged it, and apologized. He was their best driver, and we could not believe he was fired over something out of his control.

DH is a regular, and actually plans to go at lunch today and tell the owner that while there might be a history we don't know about, that not only firing the guy over a flat that was well out of his control, calling and telling customers that he fired the driver is out of line and he lost us as customers. He's just crushed over this. He ate there at least twice a week, they knew our order just by our phone number.

Ugh, that is AWFUL ame! I sure hope the delivery person can get another (and better I hope!) job if he cannot get his old job back but honestly given the working conditions I wonder if he is not better off being finished with that owner. What horrible treatment and how nice of the police officer to try explaining it to the owner although it didn't help. And I am sure the delivery guy really appreciated your and your dh's kindness last night and also your dh's efforts today. Hoping it all works out. How awful some people are and usually those are the people in some type of power position. So unfair. :blackeye:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Money is money, should be glad he got a tip, very rude. It's ridiculous these days as to what we "accept" and don't accept.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Missy, if this guy is a decent worker he's better off without this owner...maybe the flat tire was the straw that broke the camel's back, but yeah...the worst possible reason to fire someone, over something that was absolutely no fault of their own. And hopefully he'll find another job soon. It's sad to hear he was shaking and crying.

No matter what the circumstances were behind the scenes I always find it a little bit odd/unprofessional when an owner discusses why someone was let go...they should just make right by the customer and leave it at that.

(and yes, I do think the restaurant needed to deliver fresh, hot food, or offer some type of credit to the customers who got cold food - whether the customer decides to let it go and not accept it as a token of loyalty to the restaurant, or the driver, etc. - that's up to them. But fresh, hot food should be offered by the restaurant, at the restaurant's expense. If an employee makes a mistake, it's still the business' responsibility to make right by the client - how they deal with the employee mistake should be independent of that.)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1438951294|3912104 said:

OMG, that is AWFUL. That poor man. And I think I have problems.

I'm so glad your DH is going to do this, that deliveryman was a PERSON and worked hard for his money. His car is nonoperable in a safe manner now (axle probably bent too) and same for that night and HE GOT FIRED. :angryfire: I hope that owner gets this back 10-fold. The deliveryman was depreciating his car every single day doing those deliveries and was never compensated for that by the owner of the business.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an update and DH asked me to remove it, he doesn't want them finding it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope whatever happened something positive came out of it...although I'm thinking it's likely not a good update if you can't post it. :/

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I went to pick up our pizza last night and I realized I had no cash on me when I got there. :/

So I left $2 on the credit card.

Is cc ok (truth is I hardly ever have cash on me, but I can try to have it if it's better) or maybe it's better to hand over cash to whoever checks me out, although sometimes if won't be the same girl who took my order...so I'm not sure.

I was thinking maybe I can actually ask the girls what they prefer, since they're the ones that work there and know how it works behind the scenes at that particular place. Would that be weird to ask them?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1439049361|3912508 said:
So I went to pick up our pizza last night and I realized I had no cash on me when I got there. :/

Is cc ok (truth is I hardly ever have cash on me, but I can try to have it if it's better) or maybe it's better to hand over cash to whoever checks me out, although sometimes if won't be the same girl who took my order...so I'm not sure.

I was thinking maybe I can actually ask the girls what they prefer, since they're the ones that work there and know how it works behind the scenes at that particular place. Would that be weird to ask them?

Yes I think it's weird to ask. You've crossed into the realm of completely overthinking it.

Generally speaking (hi IRS!!!) cash tips are nice because they go right into your pocket. Credit card tips get reported and taxed. Cash tips are supposed to be reported as well but... There's obviously no paper trail. When I go to a restaurant I usually pay on credit card and try to leave cash as tip if I have it, but it's 100% fine to leave tip on a card too. Just saying if you happen to have cash on you, that's what many I know prefer

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1439070584|3912585 said:
CJ2008|1439049361|3912508 said:

Yes I think it's weird to ask. You've crossed into the realm of completely overthinking it.

Generally speaking (hi IRS!!!) cash tips are nice because they go right into your pocket. Credit card tips get reported and taxed. Cash tips are supposed to be reported as well but... There's obviously no paper trail. When I go to a restaurant I usually pay on credit card and try to leave cash as tip if I have it, but it's 100% fine to leave tip on a card too. Just saying if you happen to have cash on you, that's what many I know prefer

Yes, but I like thinking :bigsmile:

And yeah, I don't want to drive myself crazy trying to have cash...if I have it I'll give to them, if not, I'll put on the CC...easier for me that way.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a weird story. To me $3 is $3 in any legal tender. We have a huge bowl of change on our counter and at times when I have no cash I will grab a handful of change. I always apologize when I have to use a wad of change and no one has complained. I try to make it in same denomination piles so counting is easier for them. I always wait till the transaction is complete in case my counting was off.
Interestingly, no one has criticized your $3 tip which IMHO was OK. I never knew that the business kept the delivery fee- jeesh what a racket as the poor drivers have to pay for their own gas.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would find it funny not rude. It is his choice to accept and as a non-confrontational I prefer this interaction.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
JD took in the change container (not even a big one, and it wasn't even half full) and there was over $100 in it. I keep containers of change in each of the vehicles so when we're at a drive thru or I don't have change in my purse, I can either count it out quick or toss a handful in the zipper part of my bag. I laugh, thinking of all the times I've gone to DQ with change for my Moolatte. I count it out and have it in rows for them, $4.59. I've actually had two times I can think of where I've been someplace and they had to give me a bunch of coins as change rather than dollars. Not a super amount, like $5 in quarters, who cares? Lookie there, I can go to DQ w/$4.50 of that and scrounge up an additional 9cents from my container and I can get a moolatte. And the times I've been places and the cashier will say, "hey, you got any nickels in there? I'm almost out" Well heck yeah, here's $2 in nickels it's your lucky day. It all spends the same and unless a person is getting several dollars in pennies, $3 in quarters takes up very little space--and unless a person is required to carry said change in their pockets for an entire shift and that person delivers to 100+ houses in a shift, or you're handing out coins made of lead...We have a tupperware container in the kitchen that is very small-you could fit a sleeve of crackers in it if you stacked two rows, and that thing holds a TON of coins-if I were a delivery person I'd put that in my vehicle and put all tips, paper or coin in it. And I would apparently have waaaay less stress in my life than that delivery person.

We are a highly sensitive country anymore.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think $3 is a horrible delivery tip, even after hearing many comments to the contrary.

But I also see how $4 is better, of course, so I am willing to up it to $4 after hearing reasons that made sense to me.

We have also started tipping for takeout at our REGULAR takeout spot because again, the reasons for doing it make sense to me.

And I'm so proud of DH because he was way more annoyed at the delivery guy than I was and he was way more resistant to tipping for takeout - but when I explained the reasons...well, yesterday he went to pick up a sandwich at our regular pizza spot and he tipped them a $1 on the CC. This may not seem like a lot, but it's huge that he did it. And I am OK with $1 for a sandwich.

I do think there is a lot of anger and frustration at customers behind the scenes that seems/feels over the top - and makes me more leery of eating out in general - but I also recognize that just may be what builds up over time from dealing with rude or demanding customers, customers who don't tip fairly, etc. I can see how it adds up. And maybe in the beginning change doesn't seem like a big deal but as the years pass and you get more and more frustrated with customers in general you have less patience for everything, including getting your tip in change.

OTOH I don't think it's right to put it on the customer to make right everything that is wrong with the industry or with the place you work at or with the job you chose or need to do for whatever reason.

ETA: I also think some of this is just a matter of personality...some people are just more easy going, more patient, more accepting...and that's going to "color" and influence how they see and deal with things, whether they're a server or delivery person or a customer.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1439045770|3912488 said:
I hope whatever happened something positive came out of it...although I'm thinking it's likely not a good update if you can't post it. :/
It went so badly I am not even going to post the precautions we're taking to protect ourselves.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, our washer went out, decided to get matching washer and dryers as they are stacking and Sears rep cautioned us that older dryer may not fit on new washer, etc etc. So sale rep entered detailed instrux of hauling broken washer, keeping working dryer, and of course delivering and installing new washer dryer. when they arrived, the deliverymen/installers, acted like every single thing was an impossible chore for them. They could not unhook the old hoses, they were too tight. the outlet was too far away (what - our other washer and dryer plugged in just fine, it is right behind where it is located. Warning flag, they said they could either haul both the washer and dryer away, or leave both, they could not just take the broken washer, as that would mean they would have to undo the bracket holding them together and that was a "liability issue". So I had my husband talk to them on the phone. To HIM they agreed to separate and take old washer and leave us the dryer, and install the new washer and dryer (he had to be at work during the delivery). anyways after giving them some time I check on them. They did move the new washer and dryer and stacked it, but did not do any installation. I say "hold on, I'm going to talk to my husband" while I am waiting for him to call me, I go to where their van is parked to see how it is going with them separating the washer and dryer, and they were gone, with both our washer and dryer. I never even signed off on anything.

anyways it was weird but it made me think of this thread, were they expecting a tip and therefore withholding service because they didn't get one? I don't know if it was that or that I was a woman and they were trying to get away with doing as little as possible. Anyways we talked to customer service and they say they are going to resolve it, find our dryer and return it.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
REALLY???!!! You mean to tell me that change is SO cumbersome that there was absolutely NO place in his car to put the change?? He had to be a total a$$hole and put the change by the garage? Or wait, he is the one independently wealthy delivery driver in this world and he so rich that is able to refuse money? What an entitled, rude, jerk!

Money is money and to throw away money is plain stupid. He is working for wages and tips. Honestly, if I ever used that company again and had him as a delivery driver, I would not tip him. As a matter of fact, I would probably say something to the effect of, "it seems that you are so wealthy that you don't need to be tipped, so thanks for the delivery and have a great day!"

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame - that is really scary. Be careful.

party gypsy - this is why I always always always make sure DH is home whenever we get ANY service. I feel that some men do treat women differently and are more likely to try to take advantage in some way, especially if you're kind of "nice."

We've had Sears here, both for a fridge and a dishwasher and we were happy with the techs that came out (we were surprised, actually, as we kind of hated the Sears phone reps - they kept giving us conflicting info. on pricing and guarantees). Sounds like you had the opposite experience which stinks...I hope they resolve it it for you satisfactorily.

house cat - I'm kind of really liking you right now :lol:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had multiple Sears appliances purchased and installed and until now always had a good experience with both the products and the delivery/install. This was the first time I had a bad experience. So I didn't think it would be a problem being just lil ol-me, but yeah I immediately got the sinking feeling, I wish hubby was here to run interference.

Depite the fact I sent him texts of what went down I guess he didn't believe me. When he got home "So they left the dryer, right?" And I'm "No". And he was like "That's b*s*t! That's my dryer, that's my dryer! I'm going to call customer service and raise holy hell!"

Hubby called me from work. There is no cord for the new dryer, and they left no paperwork for the dryer. They only brought/left the stuff for the washer.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind change. Even when I was at Starbucks and then the deli, I liked coin tips. I took the bus so it was easy to grab my fare. Cash is cash and a kind customer took a moment to give a token of thanks.

Even now, I keep change in a jar. In fact, just rolled it (by hand) to make up the missing cash for our car payment.
Comes in handy! I don't carry and use so it makes up a sort of emergency emergency fund.... For when nothing is left anywhere else.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1439234923|3913046 said:
We've had multiple Sears appliances purchased and installed and until now always had a good experience with both the products and the delivery/install. This was the first time I had a bad experience. So I didn't think it would be a problem being just lil ol-me, but yeah I immediately got the sinking feeling, I wish hubby was here to run interference.

Depite the fact I sent him texts of what went down I guess he didn't believe me. When he got home "So they left the dryer, right?" And I'm "No". And he was like "That's b*s*t! That's my dryer, that's my dryer! I'm going to call customer service and raise holy hell!"

Hubby called me from work. There is no cord for the new dryer, and they left no paperwork for the dryer. They only brought/left the stuff for the washer.

It's funny - when I was single, I didn't "need" anybody to do anything for me - I negotiated car prices, had things installed, etc. with no problems. But "knowing" DH is around I'd rather him deal with those things - because even though I'm kind of good at it, I do find it exhausting...and the less I do it the less practice, the harder it becomes to do...I'd rather just be the nice one and offer them a glass of water. :bigsmile: (although when I need to jump in, I do - I am much more "to the point" and efficient in conversation than DH - so sometimes when things seem like they're derailing I do need to jump in and mediate or whatever).

I hope you get the dryer thing resolved - I mean, wow.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh man, Sears...we had a HORRIBLE experience when we bought our washer and dryer there just a few months ago. It took two separate delivery visits, two trips to Sears, and at least a dozen phone calls to get them to deliver what they were supposed to.

On the first trip they did deliver the correct washer, but not the correct dryer; they took our working dryer out before they realized that they brought the wrong new dryer, and then refused to put the old one back in (it was "against policy" or some bullshit). So we were without a dryer for a week while we figured this all out (and the drivers were super weird about taking our old dryer - from things that they said, I believe it's bc they planned on selling or keeping it themselves - it was really screwy. And they did take it away even though I didn't want them to; but they had already loaded it in the truck and they had refused to re-install it. They even asked me not to tell anyone that they were taking it!!! They claimed that this was for "my" benefit, bc supposedly if they took away appliances they were supposed to charge for it, even though at Sears they had expressly told us that take away of old units was free and included in delivery pricing. We asked twice just to verify this. The delivery guys were VERY shady characters. We tried to tell Sears, but they didn't even care - the drivers aren't Sears employees, just contracted delivery people).

There is actually a LOT more to the story, I could go on and on with how they screwed up, but it's very boring, lol. Let me just say that it was a big, time sucking mess, and it left us without a dryer for a week, and ended up costing us more than we were initially quoted (they even tried to charge us for delivery a second time, even though the screw ups were all their fault! But since they had to come back again to deliver the right dryer, they initially tried to charge us another $75 or whatever it was - we told them if they were going to do that, then they could forget about making the sale and refund us, we would just go to Lowes and get the dryer there).

I will never ever ever ever buy anything else from Sears. Just never.

The sad thing is that a cousin of mine had a similar bad experience with Home Depot, and a different friend had a similar experience with Lowes... So the moral is that I guess every store can royally screw up, and you're not really safe buying from anywhere, lol.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath,

Same thing with cell phone companies...

and Cable companies...

The grass is always greener until you switch.

And you encounter either the same problem, or new ones...

(hey, this is kind of the same as with relationships! haha)

ETA: and BTW...these are the kinds of things that can be so intimidating when you're dealing with them in person by yourself...you're telling them not to do something and they still just do it...they would NEVER do that with a man around! (unless the man was very soft spoken/mild mannered, maybe...)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1439241529|3913079 said:
Oh man, Sears...we had a HORRIBLE experience when we bought our washer and dryer there just a few months ago. It took two separate delivery visits, two trips to Sears, and at least a dozen phone calls to get them to deliver what they were supposed to.

On the first trip they did deliver the correct washer, but not the correct dryer; they took our working dryer out before they realized that they brought the wrong new dryer, and then refused to put the old one back in (it was "against policy" or some bullshit). So we were without a dryer for a week while we figured this all out (and the drivers were super weird about taking our old dryer - from things that they said, I believe it's bc they planned on selling or keeping it themselves - it was really screwy. And they did take it away even though I didn't want them to; but they had already loaded it in the truck and they had refused to re-install it. They even asked me not to tell anyone that they were taking it!!! They claimed that this was for "my" benefit, bc supposedly if they took away appliances they were supposed to charge for it, even though at Sears they had expressly told us that take away of old units was free and included in delivery pricing. We asked twice just to verify this. The delivery guys were VERY shady characters. We tried to tell Sears, but they didn't even care - the drivers aren't Sears employees, just contracted delivery people).

There is actually a LOT more to the story, I could go on and on with how they screwed up, but it's very boring, lol. Let me just say that it was a big, time sucking mess, and it left us without a dryer for a week, and ended up costing us more than we were initially quoted (they even tried to charge us for delivery a second time, even though the screw ups were all their fault! But since they had to come back again to deliver the right dryer, they initially tried to charge us another $75 or whatever it was - we told them if they were going to do that, then they could forget about making the sale and refund us, we would just go to Lowes and get the dryer there).

I will never ever ever ever buy anything else from Sears. Just never.

The sad thing is that a cousin of mine had a similar bad experience with Home Depot, and a different friend had a similar experience with Lowes... So the moral is that I guess every store can royally screw up, and you're not really safe buying from anywhere, lol.

That is so weird. I ALSO felt they were doing this so maybe they could resell, because after telling them multiple times we wanted to keep the dryer they took it! Since I was going to sell it they owe me some money if they can't relocate it!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is quite odd, I've never heard of anyone in any kind of food/service industry declining a tip. When I was 19 years old I worked at the casino here in Melbourne and waitered the gaming tables for drinks; while I mostly got tipped the change from drinks I would still make at least $100 for an 8 hour shift, even more if I worked hard. You can change over all those coins for cash y'know?? :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results