shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone row?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
For some reason I start to see physiological changes, not with the big birthdays ending in _0, but in the ones that end in _5. This last year was another _5 birthday and I am starting to see changes in vision, hair, skin, and of course another five pounds. I guess it's time to step up my cardio and i am looking for something low impact, full body workout, that i can do at home. So.... I have started looking at rowing. I know some guys who do this as their main cardio, plus a little weights and they are in fabulous shape, but i don't know them well enough to ask about their workout/machine preference. So I ask the wonderful world of pricescope and want to know if anyone rows, which machine they have, and how strenuous is it on your knees?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
What a timely thread! A friend of mine lost about 20lbs through rowing alone, in about three months. I recently have started as well. As in last week. I love that I get a full body workout with zero pain. I'm a runner, but I gained a lot of weight with my pregnancies and running now seems like too much impact.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't recommend any machines, but I would recommend looking at how smoothly the seat slides on the rail. If it doesn't slide smoothly then it can cause excessive strain on the knees. As far as the impact on the knees the actual exercise has; it's about the same as riding an exercise bike, maybe slightly less as the repitition is not as frequent. However you have the added advantage that it is working more muscles and tones the body in it's entirety more efficiently than many other cardio exercises.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1438740752|3911250 said:
What a timely thread! A friend of mine lost about 20lbs through rowing alone, in about three months. I recently have started as well. As in last week. I love that I get a full body workout with zero pain. I'm a runner, but I gained a lot of weight with my pregnancies and running now seems like too much impact.

What are you rowing on? My knees are pretty good unless I run or ski so I think rowing may be what I'm looking for.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
jordyonbass|1438742105|3911257 said:
I can't recommend any machines, but I would recommend looking at how smoothly the seat slides on the rail. If it doesn't slide smoothly then it can cause excessive strain on the knees. As far as the impact on the knees the actual exercise has; it's about the same as riding an exercise bike, maybe slightly less as the repitition is not as frequent. However you have the added advantage that it is working more muscles and tones the body in it's entirety more efficiently than many other cardio exercises.

I think this is where you don't go cheap on a machine. I have seen them for as little as $100 and as much as $1000+. I'm not afraid to spend the money on a quality machine, but I also don't want a behemoth that I can't store in the large walk in closet off of our tv room when I'm not using it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to, I could sit on that thing, in front of the TV with a fan on me for like 3 hours. But what I learned is that it did not help my endurance in any other respect--like I couldn't walk any longer or whatever. But yes, I can go FOREVER on a rowing machine. We have one with the stick on the string, not the one with the handles, if that makes sense. We moved it downstairs for now, just because we needed the room in the living room. I'd like to move it back up though, so I can get back in the habit on the nights I am not boxing.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
ponder said:
What are you rowing on? My knees are pretty good unless I run or ski so I think rowing may be what I'm looking for.

It's a Concept2 machine, which seems to be the gold standard. I watched some videos and read articles on technique. It definitely takes practice. I'm doing 30 minutes and rowing roughly 5400m in that time. I'm pretty darn tired while doing it, but it's very different from running. Running is definitely harder and a better workout for a given time. But, at my current fitness level, rowing is probably a better choice since I can do 30 minutes straight, where with running I have to stop a lot.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I row a couple days a week as cross-training since I am marathon training. I have sciatic issues so biking is out for me and the elliptical machines make my foot hurt in a weird way so rowing is something that does not hurt me. I think of it as an extra upper body workout on days when I don't use my arm weights.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
SO has a WaterRower and loves it. It cost around $800 maybe five years ago.
The dog loves it also. He comes running when he hears the initial beep. I think it's on the timer. We think he likes the whooshing noise the water makes.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1438837688|3911762 said:
ponder said:

It's a Concept2 machine, which seems to be the gold standard. I watched some videos and read articles on technique. It definitely takes practice. I'm doing 30 minutes and rowing roughly 5400m in that time. I'm pretty darn tired while doing it, but it's very different from running. Running is definitely harder and a better workout for a given time. But, at my current fitness level, rowing is probably a better choice since I can do 30 minutes straight, where with running I have to stop a lot.

This is the one I have been looking at. It seems to give the best full body workout. As i understand the concept of rowing, you should be using all muscle groups starting with legs since they are your most powerful muscles then core/back followed by arms as you complete each stroke.

How is the fold up storage of the concept 2?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj|1438907434|3912007 said:
The dog loves it also. He comes running when he hears the initial beep. I think it's on the timer. We think he likes the whooshing noise the water makes.

I have read that the water rowers are the closest to true rowing (as in the boat). I also hear they are the largest/most bulky of all the rowers.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
ponder said:
This is the one I have been looking at. It seems to give the best full body workout. As i understand the concept of rowing, you should be using all muscle groups starting with legs since they are your most powerful muscles then core/back followed by arms as you complete each stroke. How is the fold up storage of the concept 2?

No idea. I use the one at the gym.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
ponder|1438913989|3912027 said:

I have read that the water rowers are the closest to true rowing (as in the boat). I also hear they are the largest/most bulky of all the rowers.

He tried a bunch before buying this one and said this one was the smoothest. When not in use, his sits on the heavy end between the dresser and the wall in the bedroom. I was surprised by how little space it takes up.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj|1438923528|3912059 said:

He tried a bunch before buying this one and said this one was the smoothest. When not in use, his sits on the heavy end between the dresser and the wall in the bedroom. I was surprised by how little space it takes up.

Where was he able to try several out before purchasing? I would love to be able to do that.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I did row a few years ago when I was in the best shape of my life. Nowadays I just do it if my feet are hurting from too much running. I use whatever brand we have at 24 hour fitness. I think it is lifecycle?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm laughing - I saw your thread and had to think about the title for a good twenty seconds before it clicked.

I don't row - not that sort, anyway, but I definitely argue with my DH regularly! We had a row just last week about the litterbox schedule, actually :bigsmile:

Okay, gratuitous threadjack over ::)

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
ponder|1438958506|3912142 said:
texaskj|1438923528|3912059 said:

Where was he able to try several out before purchasing? I would love to be able to do that.

We're lucky to live where he could try out a bunch.
Sorry the photos are sideways.
The space between the dresser and the wall is roughly two feet.

_33085.jpg

_33086.jpg

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have a concept2 rower. I love it! I got it last winter when my plantar faciitis started to flare up and it doesn't bother my foot at all. Now that my foot feels better I alternate running with the rower. I also have a treadmill and vary running outside vs on the treadmill. My 13 year old son loves the rower too. He had started to gain some weight because he isn't an outdoor kid. Too old for summer camp too young for a job and for the first month of summer for June he spent way too much time watching tv and playing video games. I gently asked if he would like to learn to use the rower (without mentioning his weight because I grew up with parents who made me very insecure about my weight). Anyway he started slowly and loves it. He now uses the rower when he watches tv and that weight he started to gain has come right off and he looks more fit. And best of all, he feels better about himself. I still try to get him outside, but at least now he is doing some physical activity I feel better. Anyway, as a result of the rower, he has now started going on runs with his big sister and me sometimes. Pretty fast results for him.

For me, I have found that awful 40something upper arm flab has firmed up. And my abs have firmed up a bit too. I like the rower to mix up my workouts to keep from being bored. And its a great excuse to catch up on tv without feeling like I'm wasting time because I always have too much to do and not enough time to do it. It doesn't bother my knees and when I feel any twinge of my old plantar facitiis injury I back off running and row instead.

My concept 2 is the model d with the pm4 display. I think they have a higher display now. I got it on amazon prime and paid zero shipping on it and it was really easy to set up.

Form is CRUCIAL. You can injure your back if you don't do it right. I HIGHLY recommend the videos on the concept 2 site, even if you don't buy that brand, they have some good videos. Or search youtube for rowing form videos. It feels awkward at first but once you get it, its second nature.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results