shape
carat
color
clarity

You can use your tablet or smartphone as a dichroscope!!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I "discovered" this today!!

I played a bit with my alexandrites and put a small indian pear table facet down on my ipad screen ( white screen of course!! :D )

The stone has a very strong CC and think it is a twin.

The stone showed the strong bluishgreen daylight color and I rotated the stone carefully with my tweezer - and the color changed to a pinkish red !! Exactly the same colors like using my dichroscope!! I tried this with an Axinite and a Benitoite - same result.

SO YOU HAVE A VERY CHEAP DICHROSCOPE - easy to use.

White screen - gem table down - carefully rotate the stone with a tweezer ( scratches!) - repeat it putting the stone on a pavillion facet.

Try it with a green Tourmaline or a Tanzanite.

O.K. a discroscope will show the colors a bit stronger but this is easy to use, you see it with the naked eye and it is a good way to check and compare many stones. With a bit experience you can check the orientation of the stone.

Tried pictures but no way!!! Maybe tomorrow with daylight.

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, very interesting! Looking forward to the next installment of your tutorial...

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Some pictures - two alexandrite around 0,26ct - 0,31 ct

You will see it much better at home with your own stones!

90 degree rotation left stone

90 degree rotation right stone

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
How clever of you to discover this! Lol

Unfortunately, my Alex is in a ring - so I'm not sure if this would work. I think maybe not. Will have to take a look the next time it's out of its safe house!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Marlow. Sounds like it might come in handy when buying gems at shows? If I can figure it out ahead of time :think:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
lilmosun|1438539028|3910151 said:
Thank you Marlow. Sounds like it might come in handy when buying gems at shows? If I can figure it out ahead of time :think:

Yes, you can use it in shows! Wanna see the face of the vendor :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep - this true of laptop screens as well, only I could never figure out how to put my stones on my screen! Some people on "the other gem website" suggest holding your gems up to your Macbook screen and rotating...

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, with sunglasses - not to dark - then you have a polariscope ( four rotations and dark-bright-dark-bright... in uniaxial or biaxial gems) - I know this from GO.

The white illuminated tablet or smartphone screen will show you the di- or pleochroism. You see it with a loupe and a tweezer with your naked eye too but think this is a very easy way. But no polarisation.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Very interesting Marlow!
Welcome back BTW, I missed your posts while you were gone. :wavey:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
PieAreSquared|1438704777|3911026 said:
Very interesting Marlow!
Welcome back BTW, I missed your posts while you were gone. :wavey:

:D :wavey:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Very cool!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
gemandjewelrylover|1438521164|3910058 said:
How clever of you to discover this! Lol

Unfortunately, my Alex is in a ring - so I'm not sure if this would work. I think maybe not. Will have to take a look the next time it's out of its safe house!

Use a lid of a gembox - so you avoid scratches on your smartphone. I am sure it will work...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just realized that you were not talking about an Iphone but an IPad. :(sad Tell me how to use my IPhone and I'll be gratefully indebted to you. :praise:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The same way...

You need a white screen ( browser and a new "page" - I have still an ipad 1 - so I click the "+" ) - put your alex one the screen - and rotate it . It is only a "lighttable".

But in a gemshow, at a fleamarket you have an easy way to seperate a synth. spinel from an aquamarine, or glass from a ruby or sapphire.
Or an alex from a CC-Garnet. And with sunglasses you have a polariscope too.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow, how would we tell the difference between glass and corundum, or synthetic spinel and aquamarine? Which stones should we expect a color change when rotating sideways? I'm hoping something I have at home will have this property so I can see what you mean... (I do not have an alexandrite to test this out, but I do have corundum and aqua... :D )

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Glass ( amorph) and garnet, spinel, fluorit and diamond is cubic - only one RI and no dichroism ( uniaxial gems like tourmaline, zircon, beryl, corundum and quarz for example) or pleochroism ( biaxial like tanzanite, chrysoberyl, topaz or peridot)

You will see no change of colors in a cubic gem or glass.

You will see two colors in uniaxial gems and three colors in biaxial gems.

A ruby will show orange-red or better a warmer red in one direction and bluishred or better a cold red in the other directon.
Synthetic too!!

But glass or red garnet or spinel will show no change. Aqua has a weaker dichroism but you will see a difference - synth. spinel again will show the same color.

Cognition

Rough_Rock
wow! this looks like a magic! I hope someday we can use our smartphone as a raman spectrometer and other fancy tools :appl: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results