shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping a delivery driver

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame, I totally believe that's how it works...obnoxious or not...

That's why I'm not going to order from there again...unless we can pick it up.

Of course, if we're already on file for being crappy tippers then maybe we should just stay away all together...why risk it. I'll probably never again feel comfortable eating the food from there.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand...how is tipping with change worse than no tip? Change is still money he can use.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1438719345|3911114 said:
I don't understand...how is tipping with change worse than no tip? Change is still money he can use.
It's money they can use if they can get it back there and exchange it for dollars, yes.

It's offensive to them because you're basically cleaning out your change jar on them. And for them to not be worthy of a few paper dollars, it's lazy, and usually it's not very much money, and they have to sit there and count it out IF they even have somewhere to put it in their vehicle. How do you transport a reasonable tip amount in that much change? If it's $4 in quarters? Fine, slightly less annoying. Usually it's $2 in mixed change, tons of pennies typically.

The person ordering the food didn't have the foresight or concern to consider this kid has to pay for his own gas, insurance, etc., and risk his life to bring you your pizza or whatever. Then this kid will have to lug all that back inside, sit and count that out after making 20 deliveries, and then try to cash that out somewhere--not where they are employed normally as the drawer can't handle the change. You're asking them to work harder for the tip you just gave them which was the pittance of a reward them for not getting killed in traffic trying to get you the food you just ordered and were too lazy to pick up or go eat in person. And if the weather sucks, even more so.

Clearly this is very personal to me because I've been there.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1438717734|3911099 said:

Of course, if we're already on file for being crappy tippers then maybe we should just stay away all together...why risk it. I'll probably never again feel comfortable eating the food from there.
At least in our experience--the food itself is safe. It just gets there a little later than you'd like. Like, they'll make you the last delivery of the route, vs the first, even if it means the guy has to go WAY out of his way.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1438720459|3911121 said:
It's money they can use if they can get it back there and exchange it for dollars, yes.

It's offensive to them because you're basically cleaning out your change jar on them. And for them to not be worthy of a few paper dollars, it's lazy, and usually it's not very much money, and they have to sit there and count it out IF they even have somewhere to put it in their vehicle. How do you transport a reasonable tip amount in that much change? If it's $4 in quarters? Fine, slightly less annoying. Usually it's $2 in mixed change, tons of pennies typically.

The person ordering the food didn't have the foresight or concern to consider this kid has to pay for his own gas, insurance, etc., and risk his life to bring you your pizza or whatever. Then this kid will have to lug all that back inside, sit and count that out after making 20 deliveries, and then try to cash that out somewhere--not where they are employed normally as the drawer can't handle the change. You're asking them to work harder for the tip you just gave them which was the pittance of a reward them for not getting killed in traffic trying to get you the food you just ordered and were too lazy to pick up or go eat in person. And if the weather sucks, even more so.

You have got to be kidding! Maybe I'm old but change is money. I worked as a waitress for 15 years and I would have been happy to get $3 in change as opposed to nothing. This delivery kid makes so much that he can not be bothered with $3 in change. Maybe I need to look for a food delivery job!!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man... I had a friend who used to wax nostalgic about this NYC Chinese takeout food around the corner from him. He was fresh out of Poland, working as a contractor, eventually attending masters in Mechanical Engineering program at Columbia, and he would save his change until he had the whatever... Let's say $3.50 for that addicting general tsao chicken and go running into that restaurant with his bag of change. That bag of change meant something to him... The change is part of a positive experience.

Just as CJ2008 sets aside her change so that she has money to tip the delivery person. She means well with the tip, because not everyone in this world tips... And I hope that the delivery guy can look at things with a glass half full perspective, even if he doesn't want the change at the end of the day...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NonieMarie|1438733778|3911214 said:
ame|1438720459|3911121 said:

You have got to be kidding! Maybe I'm old but change is money. I worked as a waitress for 15 years and I would have been happy to get $3 in change as opposed to nothing. This delivery kid makes so much that he can not be bothered with $3 in change. Maybe I need to look for a food delivery job!!!!

I know, I just don't get it either. Oh well. I'll happily take the kid's change. :bigsmile:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And that is the endpoint, here, a customer won't be back. That is a loss for the business owner. You get enough of that, your business dwindles away. I worked in a steakhouse one summer when I was in high school and I learned a lesson that has stayed with me since: Never send meat back to the chef. Just don't.

CJ, I wouldn't eat their food again, you have no idea what is thought of you there and how they might act on that.

FWIW, I don't think you were wrong although the deliveryperson thought you were. He wanted you to know it to, if I understand correctly he put the money where you would see it---message delivered. Why risk your health on the place now.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1438737394|3911237 said:
Oh man... I had a friend who used to wax nostalgic about this NYC Chinese takeout food around the corner from him. He was fresh out of Poland, working as a contractor, eventually attending masters in Mechanical Engineering program at Columbia, and he would save his change until he had the whatever... Let's say $3.50 for that addicting general tsao chicken and go running into that restaurant with his bag of change. That bag of change meant something to him... The change is part of a positive experience.

Just as CJ2008 sets aside her change so that she has money to tip the delivery person. She means well with the tip, because not everyone in this world tips... And I hope that the delivery guy can look at things with a glass half full perspective, even if he doesn't want the change at the end of the day...
Some do, but most don't. But the point I am trying to make, is that the resistance to change is part of the entitlement generation of the expected iphone and expected car and expected everything. They think of change as "trash" and not as "money". Whatever little tip they get, they expected more. And giving them change isn't good enough. We have done those jobs, we know they suck, people are disrespectful, you get shit on by your bosses, share your tips and earnings with everyone and they're high turnover. We tip very generously on purpose, we tip generously in restaurants as well, unless the server is just atrocious and they have no excuse for being so bad at it. I, personally, have never witnessed a kitchen staff or server messing with anyone's food. I know it's been done, many times, but I have not taken part in that. I don't send things back though, simply because I know what can be done and I don't trust it.

Regarding the friend from Poland--change, tipping, etc, is so different in other parts of the world. As I understand it, in other parts of the world, they don't tip, and in other parts of the world, they don't have the same "entitlement" mentality as many of us in the states do. I also think the entitlement thing is generational, and gets worse every generation. I don't have the same entitlement feeling as say, my cousins that are younger than I do, as the next batch younger than them. I work my rear end off, I still have two jobs, cut back from three. I have had nothing but a bed, food and an education handed to me, and really, "handed" is putting it nicely. My parents worked their asses off for that. I know people who didn't even have that. Everything I've earned, I worked for, and I have been judged harshly for everything I buy with my earnings. Even by my own parents.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

well I'd say that's an overreaction. You decide to tip with change one time, the person puts the change by your driveway (doesn't throw it to make a mess or cause a scene, just refuses it in a nonconfrontational manner) and now it is the delivery driver and restaurant's fault and you are not going to frequent their establishment?
I agree with others, that money is money. But also consider, what if every customer acted as you did? Giving either a minimal tip or tip all in change (not even dollar coins but smaller change). He wouldn't really be able to make change for other customers as they wouldn't want the change either, he'd be lugging around a bunch of change that could be lost easily.

If you want to make right, simply call the restaurant and have them tack on a delivery tip onto your bill using charge card, or even stop by with a tip. And I don't know where you guys go to eat, but yes employees do talk s**t of bad tipping or bad behaving customers, people tampering with food is not some common thing. That's the kind of stuff that would get them fired in a real hurry and if others found out would make him/her have a reputation that would make it difficult for them to be hired elsewhere.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1438785598|3911435 said:

well I'd say that's an overreaction. You decide to tip with change one time, the person puts the change by your driveway (doesn't throw it to make a mess or cause a scene, just refuses it in a nonconfrontational manner) and now it is the delivery driver and restaurant's fault and you are not going to frequent their establishment?
I agree with others, that money is money. But also consider, what if every customer acted as you did? Giving either a minimal tip or tip all in change (not even dollar coins but smaller change). He wouldn't really be able to make change for other customers as they wouldn't want the change either, he'd be lugging around a bunch of change that could be lost easily.

If you want to make right, simply call the restaurant and have them tack on a delivery tip onto your bill using charge card, or even stop by with a tip. And I don't know where you guys go to eat, but yes employees do talk s**t of bad tipping or bad behaving customers, people tampering with food is not some common thing. That's the kind of stuff that would get them fired in a real hurry and if others found out would make him/her have a reputation that would make it difficult for them to be hired elsewhere.

Oh, no it's nobody's "fault"...except for us starting the chain reaction by being crappy tip changers. ETA: although I have to say I don't think $3 is bad. But maybe we will bump it to $4. (I know better not to make it $3.50 now!) That kind of falls in line with the 20% idea, I just never thought of applying 20% to delivery orders for some reason, even though we apply that 20% rule when we go out to eat.

So bottom line is, we learned something (well, I have at least - I haven't shared with DH yet but I am sure after his initial annoyance/embarrassment he will come around going forward).

I don't know enough about the food industry - and I believe ame when she says in her experience food is safe - but I just wouldn't feel comfortable - there seems to be a lot of anger and frustration at people who tip with change...it takes just a few seconds for someone to do something to my food. No thanks.

And honestly, I don't feel like making "right" with this driver...I will give him the benefit of the doubt, assume he just didn't know how else to handle it, but that's it. Maybe I'll feel differently eventually.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1438742695|3911262 said:
And that is the endpoint, here, a customer won't be back. That is a loss for the business owner. You get enough of that, your business dwindles away. I worked in a steakhouse one summer when I was in high school and I learned a lesson that has stayed with me since: Never send meat back to the chef. Just don't.

CJ, I wouldn't eat their food again, you have no idea what is thought of you there and how they might act on that.

FWIW, I don't think you were wrong although the deliveryperson thought you were. He wanted you to know it to, if I understand correctly he put the money where you would see it---message delivered. Why risk your health on the place now.

Kristie - is this even with say a steak that's undercooked? (I'm afraid to ask)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1438787025|3911447 said:
part gypsy|1438785598|3911435 said:

Oh, no it's nobody's "fault"...except for us starting the chain reaction by being crappy tip changers. ETA: although I have to say I don't think $3 is bad. But maybe we will bump it to $4. (I know better not to make it $3.50 now!) That kind of falls in line with the 20% idea, I just never thought of applying 20% to delivery orders for some reason, even though we apply that 20% rule when we go out to eat.

So bottom line is, we learned something (well, I have at least - I haven't shared with DH yet but I am sure after his initial annoyance/embarrassment he will come around going forward).

I don't know enough about the food industry - and I believe ame when she says in her experience food is safe - but I just wouldn't feel comfortable - there seems to be a lot of anger and frustration at people who tip with change...it takes just a few seconds for someone to do something to my food. No thanks.

And honestly, I don't feel like making "right" with this driver...I will give him the benefit of the doubt, assume he just didn't know how else to handle it, but that's it. Maybe I'll feel differently eventually.
They're not going to mess with your food if you tipped poorly one time. If you're historically bad, and the guy is a serious psycho, perhaps, but that sort of stuff becomes a real issue for not only the guilty party, but the restaurant real fast, so they're not going to risk their livelihood unless they're truly that insane.

I guess I don't get why tipping someone for delivering to you doesn't warrant 20%. It's still a service. Why does this person deserve less than the person who walked the food to you at the restaurant? Are they somehow doing less work? The drivers often pack up the food in the to-go packaging, make sure it's correct, and then they drive it to you, risking their cars, and in some cases of poor weather, lives. If that doesn't warrant 20%, I guess I'd like to know what they can do to warrant 20%. Dance at your door? (lol, I mean, that would garner 25% from me, hell 30%!)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I don't get why tipping someone for delivering to you doesn't warrant 20%. It's still a service. Why does this person deserve less than the person who walked the food to you at the restaurant? Are they somehow doing less work? The drivers often pack up the food in the to-go packaging, make sure it's correct, and then they drive it to you, risking their cars, and in some cases of poor weather, lives. If that doesn't warrant 20%, I guess I'd like to know what they can do to warrant 20%. Dance at your door? (lol, I mean, that would garner 25% from me, hell 30%!)

I don't have a good answer or actually any answer for this...

Although I don't remember anyone in my circle (the few times I've been in a situation where we got delivery within a group, and that would have been a long time ago) ever saying "the order was x - what's 20%?" - it seems to me (although I can't be 100% sure) that we would tip a "flat" rate, whether it be $3 or $4 or $5 or whatever.

ETA - we always tip $3, and I know it wasn't the first time we tipped in change, so yeah...we won't order from there any more. Maybe we already got somebody's wrath in our food. :-o

I learned something, and good to know going forward, no change, ever.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
As someone that works in the service industry, yes, I do get tipped in change occasionally. It's an inconvenience. Cash I can deposit directly into an ATM but change would require a trip to a coinstar machine which takes 10% or gives you giftcards for places I don't use. Some of my other friends live in apartments so they use the quarters for laundry, but I have my own machines so even that doesn't help me.

My initial reaction to this post wasn't about the change but rather the amount. $3 for a $21 delivery seemed on the low end. Remember the delivery charge doesn't go to your driver.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1438797581|3911539 said:
As someone that works in the service industry, yes, I do get tipped in change occasionally. It's an inconvenience. Cash I can deposit directly into an ATM but change would require a trip to a coinstar machine which takes 10% or gives you giftcards for places I don't use. Some of my other friends live in apartments so they use the quarters for laundry, but I have my own machines so even that doesn't help me.

My initial reaction to this post wasn't about the change but rather the amount. $3 for a $21 delivery seemed on the low end. Remember the delivery charge doesn't go to your driver.

Yes, calculating at 20% it was about a dollar short...

It was about a little less than 15%, which normally I would never leave...so yes, it was a dollar short...(glad I didn't give it to him it would have been in dimes though I didn't have any quarters left) :D (too funny but true I really didn't have any more quarters left).

The driver did a service to his fellow drivers - with his gesture, he has managed to convert 2 people to bills only always.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know money is money and you should save it where you can, but have to echo some above statements. Yes! $2 can absolutely be the difference from meh service to being a priority customer. Two measly dollars, so you can relax in the comfort of your own home and get a hot, tasty meal delivered to you. Be nice, make the driver's night suck a little less.

On that note, I want pizza.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, all this talk about delivery makes me think pizza too! :cheeky:

(BTW, not sure what you meant about the $2 but the tip was not $2 short, it was $1 short if we calculate it on 20% - of course, doesn't matter being that was all in change, but you know what I mean.)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1438799385|3911551 said:

(BTW, not sure what you meant about the $2 but the tip was not $2 short, it was $1 short if we calculate it on 20% - of course, doesn't matter being that was all in change, but you know what I mean.)

I may have just ordered pizza. I'm cleaning out a lot of old stuff today for Ebay (saving for vacation) and hunger calls.

I just meant to say, if you overtip by a dollar or two it is a great investment for you in the long run. Your food arrives in a timely manner and your driver walks away feeling a little faith in humanity again after a night of people who thought he pockets the delivery fee and gave him a dollar.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1438800174|3911561 said:
CJ2008|1438799385|3911551 said:

I may have just ordered pizza. I'm cleaning out a lot of old stuff today for Ebay (saving for vacation) and hunger calls.

I just meant to say, if you overtip by a dollar or two it is a great investment for you in the long run. Your food arrives in a timely manner and your driver walks away feeling a little faith in humanity again after a night of people who thought he pockets the delivery fee and gave him a dollar.

hahahaha NOT FAIR! I can't eat pizza until Friday!

Enjoy though.

Ahhhh...got it now I know what you meant. (although for accuracy and truth's sake, I never thought about what happens to that $1.50 delivery fee - so I can't say I gave him $3 only because I was thinking it would really turn out to be $4.50) I just gave him $3...

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1438787287|3911451 said:

CJ, I'm so sorry to say that is EXACTLY the scenario I saw over and over and over. And I like my steak medium, so I stopped ordering steak when eating out because even when I say medium its still undercooked for my taste (and I know its just me, most people like their steak pretty rare and I do understand why).

Just don't send food back and honestly, if one diner at your table does it the staff/chef hate your whole table. The only thing I ever do is *if* the food is clearly unsafe/unpalatable I ask for the manager at the end of the meal and ask that it be taken off the check----no, I don't want something else (LOL, I know what that means) and no, I don't want them to throw my meat back onto the grill (really? that's an option? food safety wise it should not be). Just tally up the bill and let us go on our way. I go out to eat partly to relax and I don't want to have a food safety discussion with the staff nor do I want to be treated like a 3-year-old ("You don't like corn?" if I've left something uneaten on the plate) and I don't care what the server's favorite desert is either ("You like the kale chocolate mousse creme brulee chimichanga? Great, order one for yourself, I'm having the granita.").

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1438801091|3911576 said:
CJ2008|1438787287|3911451 said:

CJ, I'm so sorry to say that is EXACTLY the scenario I saw over and over and over. And I like my steak medium, so I stopped ordering steak when eating out because even when I say medium its still undercooked for my taste (and I know its just me, most people like their steak pretty rare and I do understand why).

Just don't send food back and honestly, if one diner at your table does it the staff/chef hate your whole table. The only thing I ever do is *if* the food is clearly unsafe/unpalatable I ask for the manager at the end of the meal and ask that it be taken off the check----no, I don't want something else (LOL, I know what that means) and no, I don't want them to throw my meat back onto the grill (really? that's an option? food safety wise it should not be). Just tally up the bill and let us go on our way. I go out to eat partly to relax and I don't want to have a food safety discussion with the staff nor do I want to be treated like a 3-year-old ("You don't like corn?" if I've left something uneaten on the plate) and I don't care what the server's favorite desert is either ("You like the kale chocolate mousse creme brulee chimichanga? Great, order one for yourself, I'm having the granita.").

Really - so even if one person sends their food back it can affect the whole table...I can see that...they're not going to try to remember WHO did what. Easier to just take it out on the table. Yikes.

Kale chocolate mousse creme brulee chimichanga :lol:

ETA are you super careful with wine/drinks too? The other night we went out to dinner with friends and I sent back my glass of wine since it was clearly past its prime...and they opened a new bottle for me...yikes.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I think never ordering from the establishment again might be a little overboard. Depending on how often you order, they may not remember the house, you may not get the same driver and i know people TALK about bad customers, but to go that far to write a note on your file...i doubt it. A busy establishment doesn't have time for that and i don't know any delivery places that keep a file.

Speaking of tipping, when there is inclement weather, i have been known to tip closer to 30% or higher. We had a terrible blizzard. I had been held over at work for 2 days ( I am an RN at a community hospital and i generally work nights). Once i finally got home, slept and woke up - i feverishly called around looking for anything open. I found one place. It took the poor guy over 1 1/2 hours to get to me and they were located not more than 2 miles down the road. He said the roads were so bad and he apologized for the delay. I gave him 10 bucks extra on a 13 dollar bill. I felt terrible to make him come out in the storm, he was so grateful. I never tip under 20-25%. I am being lazy by not going to pick up my own food, therefore, i don't mind paying the "premium" to receive it.

I was wondering if anyone else tips based on weather???

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy|1438808544|3911623 said:
I think never ordering from the establishment again might be a little overboard. Depending on how often you order, they may not remember the house, you may not get the same driver and i know people TALK about bad customers, but to go that far to write a note on your file...i doubt it. A busy establishment doesn't have time for that and i don't know any delivery places that keep a file.

Speaking of tipping, when there is inclement weather, i have been known to tip closer to 30% or higher. We had a terrible blizzard. I had been held over at work for 2 days ( I am an RN at a community hospital and i generally work nights). Once i finally got home, slept and woke up - i feverishly called around looking for anything open. I found one place. It took the poor guy over 1 1/2 hours to get to me and they were located not more than 2 miles down the road. He said the roads were so bad and he apologized for the delay. I gave him 10 bucks extra on a 13 dollar bill. I felt terrible to make him come out in the storm, he was so grateful. I never tip under 20-25%. I am being lazy by not going to pick up my own food, therefore, i don't mind paying the "premium" to receive it.

Definitely. I usually order delivery because I don't want to go out in bad weather myself lol! It's almost always a rainy day. It's just me so my order is never usually more than $20. Normal is $5 but on a bad weather day I've gone up to $10 if they come to my door sopping wet.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ABSOLUTELY. We absolutely do. I will double, triple, whatever, depending on the weather. I cringe at the thought of them being out there, but then also realize they might not make anything if no one orders.

"Kale chocolate mousse creme brulee chimichanga" made me literally gag. And the reason was only bec of the kale inclusion. If it was pureed in, maybe I wouldn't notice. But don't mention it.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
CJ IMHO it was extremelly rude of him to leave the money there period. I'm hoping the kid just placed it there because he needed to tie his shoe and forgot it, but I realize with ame's comment about entitelment .............. yeah wishfull thinking on my part. Sorry this happened to you CJ.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get a huge kick out of the trendy Byzantine desserts at some places, bwahaha!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1438824893|3911690 said:
ABSOLUTELY. We absolutely do. I will double, triple, whatever, depending on the weather. I cringe at the thought of them being out there, but then also realize they might not make anything if no one orders.

"Kale chocolate mousse creme brulee chimichanga" made me literally gag. And the reason was only bec of the kale inclusion. If it was pureed in, maybe I wouldn't notice. But don't mention it.

Same here. We tend to overtip if the weather is bad and also when service is good because we can and want to. I know service people are grossly underpaid for the most part and that they are not treated well (generalizing here) and work hard. That makes me mad because it is unfair and to that end we do what we can to make it a little better for them.

However I still think that delivery person behaved badly with CJ and while tipping with change is inconvenient for the delivery person what he did was more wrong than what CJ did period (IMO). She did not do anything malicious and she still tipped yanno?

The delivery person OTOH was very passive aggressive and foolish with what he did. And now as someone else pointed out everyone loses. Personally I agree with those posters who say they would not order from that restaurant again. Not worth the risk. Too many potential issues there. Sorry CJ. The situation is unfortunate but again I don't think what you did was so wrong and awful. It was an honest misjudgment and you didn't deserve that behavior from the delivery person.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Clueless and thank you Missy :wavey:

BTW Emily Post writes about tipping guidelines...she has it at 10-15% of the delivery bill. $2-5 for pizza delivery depending on the size of the order and difficulty of delivery.

For take Out she says
No obligation
10% for extra service (curb delivery) or a large, complicated order

(so for whatever it's worth according to her standards, the $3 was OK (not saying she's always right, and I don't know how old this is/when the last time this was updated, and of course she probably has a whole separate section on the bad manners of change :D - but makes me think the $3 was not so outrageously low, even if it wasn't generous. And she talks about the "flat" tip, so I got that idea from somewhere at some point, although she only refers to it for pizza).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems strange to me that the driver didn't take the money. It has been on our local news lately that certain banks are now refusing to take jars of change as they have done in the past. We order pizza about once a week and have always tripped really well. The bill is usually $14 and I always give the driver $7. The pizza Is always delivered piping hot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results