shape
carat
color
clarity

Size vs. quality for a diamond

gooner2389

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone who posts on here. I've been reading a lot lately as I narrow down my search. I've posted a few times and appreciate all responses.

I am now conflicted between size vs. quality. If my budget is $8,000 total (platinum solitaire setting), would you recommend the best 1 - 1.05 ct stone OR a 1.2 ct stone that fits my budget but might sacrifice cut/color/clarity.

I've been looking at 1.2 ct stones but am not sure if I can afford that size and also get a great cut stone (shopping a local jeweler in NYC). So, I've begun to wonder whether it would be useful to consider a smaller stone in a great cut that hopefully gives great "fire" and overall light performance that makes up for the drop in size. Ring size finger is 5.5 if this helps.

Thanks for any help!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
That's the dilemma you have to decide for yourself or with regards to your fiance. Cost is always a factor so you need to determine where you will sacrifice. First thing I would do is see how color sensitive she is and go from there. If she notices color readily and you need to buy a d-F stone then you know you'll have to sacrifice carat size. If she's not then H or I and maybe eye clean SI1 will suffice so you can go larger in size. You also have to look at the cut of the individual diamond as a 1.2 might not be much larger than a 1ct. Also, I don't feel that super ideal cuts are necessary at this size range. A good HCA score and ASET will suffice and it's unlikely you'll see much difference in precision of the cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is #1 and that should not be sacrificed. Color and clarity can make a huge difference in price. I personally wouldn't go below I color. You might be able to find something between 1.0 and 1.20 as a compromise if you choose a very basic setting. Example: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3460839.htm

or you can do H color and stick with closer to a carat:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3328836.htm

I found a 1.3 ct GIA XXX (ideal cut proportions) stone that would be very nice, as well:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-3ct-i-si1-premium-round-ideal-cut-diamond-1.html

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
gooner2389,

As the other posters have alluded to, you are rightly debating these important points. AS for Color: Ideally, to know where your 'comfort zone' may be, see if you can look at different loose diamonds in person from different color ranges (is your intended sensitive to G vs. an E for example). Once you know color sensitivity, understand that the diamonds that are cut at the highest level will often face-up to some observers at a higher color level than their grade. Diamond color is set by the labs, intentionally, with the diamond face down. Because they are face down cut does not play into the color grade. But the best cut diamonds will get light in and out of the diamond in a direct path and the observer may discern less of the inherent color in the diamond they might otherwise see. This is why many people on PriceScope and elsewhere have stated that their well-cut H or I diamonds face up, to their eyes, as a G or better. We can have the debate on whether or not the grading labs should judge color face-up in a different thread :whistle: .

As for Clarity: Any diamond that is 'eye-clean' is a good choice - that could be an SI1, a rare SI2, or most VS2's and higher. Ask the gemologist if the diamond is eye-clean to be certain there are no visible clarity characteristics.

Armed with the above knowledge, you could almost certainly get better cut and/or size in an I SI1 than an E VVS1 at the same price-point.

Once you have these variables decided-upon, the rest is simple. If you know you can purchase a well-cut I SI1 that is eye-clean, your budget will take you into some very well-cut diamonds, but if you know you MUST have an E VVS1 (not sure why you need a clarity this high - but to each his own) you will have to sacrifice on top-tier cut in order to keep the color and clarity where you and your intended will enjoy it.

Most importantly, you don't want any regrets about the diamond you choose. You will want to look at it and be excited.

A small warning however, by finding PriceScope, you may begin to feel you are almost part of an exclusive club where the reality of top-tier cut is celebrated and the unwashed masses of the earth who don't "get it" live on in a world where ignorance is bliss.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like the word 'quality' should not be used to describe colour and clarity. Having an I SI1 is not a "lower quality" diamond.

Anyways, as others said, its up to you to decide where to draw the line. I really like the 1.3 diamondseeker posted. Some people can see tint in an I colour, it may bother some and it may not bother others.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you need to choose which of the 4 Cs is important to you. Cut is never sold in the outside world the way it is on here. ,When I first started researching diamonds on the internet in 1997/98 the experts always said you should go for a balance of the four C,'s then this board started up and it was all about cut precision being the best and most needed. Jewellers I have asked all say to balance out the C's in a medium way then the last C which is carat weight will fall where your budget is. Elsewhere jewellers speak of rarity but that is forgotten on this board and replaced with size.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an SI1 G diamond and an E VS1 diamond and I do feel the SI1 diamond is of lower quality, the same as If I had a VVS1 it would feel my VS1 was of lower quality - because it is. It has larger or more flaws, not a solid crystal of diamond with less impurity. Color or the gas making it is an impurity Nitrogen within the crystal. There is a reason they cost more than the more flawed or colored ones unless it is a desired color like pink or blue. Same with all Cs a 1 carat is more than a quarter carat. Ideal cut is more than Excellent cut although different labs and both more than Very Good Cut.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1438631389|3910575 said:
I have an SI1 G diamond and an E VS1 diamond and I do feel the SI1 diamond is of lower quality, the same as If I had a VVS1 it would feel my VS1 was of lower quality - because it is. It has larger or more flaws, not a solid crystal of diamond with less impurity. Color or the gas making it is an impurity Nitrogen within the crystal. There is a reason they cost more than the more flawed or colored ones unless it is a desired color like pink or blue. Same with all Cs a 1 carat is more than a quarter carat. Ideal cut is more than Excellent cut although different labs and both more than Very Good Cut.
I don't think quality can be used to describe something like a diamond, and I look at it this way: Diamond is carbon. When it was made, if there happened to be nitrogen introduced, it takes on a yellow tinge. How is that less quality? Its just a chemical. If there happens to be boron introduced, it will be blue. Nature made both diamonds, and they might go for drastically different prices. I just think that quality cannot be used to describe natural items. Is a maple tree higher quality than an elm? I feel like you can equate quality to man made things - cars, houses, etc, and also diamond cut, settings. Anyways, just my personal opinion :)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get what you are meaning, maybe it is humans who put that label on. So you see a T color I3 as being as good quality as a G VS2, even though the I stands for Imperfect. So Perfect to Imperfect is different from Quality.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1438638166|3910633 said:
I get what you are meaning, maybe it is humans who put that label on. So you see a T color I3 as being as good quality as a G VS2, even though the I stands for Imperfect. So Perfect to Imperfect is different from Quality.
I would just not use the word quality for it. I actually stands for Included. inclusions are never called flaws, even if you look at them as such. They are just that - included in the diamond. Do I think an i3 is going to be as beautiful? Maybe not. GIA calls em birthmarks, which I find a lovely comparison. And why should a T be lower quality than a G, if you prefer a FY? T is going to much closer to that. Perspective :tongue:
http://www.gia.edu/gia-about/4Cs-Clarity

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
telephone89|1438630353|3910568 said:
I feel like the word 'quality' should not be used to describe colour and clarity. Having an I SI1 is not a "lower quality" diamond.

GIA calls em birthmarks, which I find a lovely comparison.

telephone89

There is certainly merit in your comments. Additionally, GIA recommends referencing "clarity characteristics" when describing inclusions to consumers. I do think, however, the OP is representative of many people who just assume D is the highest 'quality' color, IF is the highest 'quality' clarity, etc...

I noticed you referenced color and clarity as specifically exempt from references of 'quality'... that leads to the next logical thought: Is it appropriate to refer to any of the 4C's as a measure of "quality''?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1438684720|3910914 said:

GIA calls em birthmarks, which I find a lovely comparison.

telephone89

There is certainly merit in your comments. Additionally, GIA recommends referencing "clarity characteristics" when describing inclusions to consumers. I do think, however, the OP is representative of many people who just assume D is the highest 'quality' color, IF is the highest 'quality' clarity, etc...

I noticed you referenced color and clarity as specifically exempt from references of 'quality'... that leads to the next logical thought: Is it appropriate to refer to any of the 4C's as a measure of "quality''?

Iro Suokko, a friend of mine from Finland, puts it this way. "Cut is the only quality grade on a diamond. Everything else is rarity."

True, rarity has a HUGE impact on price, but the cut determines the finished beauty of the starting material. A poorly cut D-IF will cost much more than the most precisely cut I-SI2, but it will NOT be as beautiful.

Wink

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1438687228|3910923 said:
Iro Suokko, a friend of mine from Finland, puts it this way. "Cut is the only quality grade on a diamond. Everything else is rarity."

True, rarity has a HUGE impact on price, but the cut determines the finished beauty of the starting material. A poorly cut D-IF will cost much more than the most precisely cut I-SI2, but it will NOT be as beautiful.

Wink
This is what I was coming back to say actually :bigsmile: Rarity and covetness (?) =/= quality. But really, its semantics. Sorry for derailing your thread op!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results