shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Storage

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-experienced-having-sticky-residue-on-your-pearls.213223/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-experienced-having-sticky-residue-on-your-pearls.213223/[/URL]
Original Thread: "Any One Experienced Having Sticky Residue On Your Pearls.

NacreLover|1431775322|3877406 said:
Most all of mine are stored in the boxes they came in from PP. None of them are sticky, but just like they were when I got them. Are you storing them clean each time? My pearls only date back 9 years from PP.

NacreLover, I was thinking about your statement above, and how you store in the original boxes from PP. Can I assume you and others Pearl Girls feel they get enough moisture/humidity in these boxes?

I have a etagere in my bath and I leave one strand out exposed on a neck form for pearls, and my tahitians are in a fabric divided box. Pearl earrings are in the original boxes but I usually leave them open. My bath creates good humidity for the pearls. My DH and I don't use aerosol sprays, or hair spray, or do I spray perfume in the bathroom.

My question is: Is it best to keep them covered from dust in original box vs. exposing them openly and daily to a bath environment?

Please everyone give your thoughts too!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just keep them in their original boxes in a drawer, and of course, I wear them.

When worn they get moisture from the air, and when I remove them, I wipe them with a damp hand and then dry them with a microfiber cloth-- or just dampen the cloth. We don't run the AC year-round, just when we need it, so the air in the house has moisture as well.

To tell the truth I would not want to keep them on a bathroom, even overnight. I would not want the silk getting damp.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1438556483|3910257 said:

Thanks for responding NacreLover my bath has moisture from running the shower only, otherwise in the Winter we have a humidifier when the furnace is running for hardwood floors and comfort, and in the Spring and Summer the air conditioner supplies normal humidity. I was just thinking that pearls closed in boxes would be too air tight.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
pearlsngems|1438557031|3910264 said:
To tell the truth I would not want to keep them on a bathroom, even overnight. I would not want the silk getting damp.

I don't feel the silk gets damp, but you make a great point I hadn't thought of thank you pearlsngems!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frost Me|1438563044|3910294 said:
... I was just thinking that pearls closed in boxes would be too air tight.

But really, the boxes they come in aren't actually air tight. There is no seal, nor does the top overlap the bottom snugly.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would not keep pearls a damp room if they are strung on silk - there will be condensation damp which will soak into the silk and weaken it.
Pearls are pretty tough and there is plenty of moisture in normal air for them, even in an airtight container for a time - after all, they are kept in huge sealed plastic bags in the factories and wholesalers, or in ziplocks.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I've heard that bank vaults are too dry, and pearls should not be kept in safety deposit boxes.

Otherwise, I think most homes have enough ambient humidity to keep pearls from becoming brittle. I keep mine in little satin pouches, or those satin boxes with the clips. Nothing air-tight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results