shape
carat
color
clarity

how old is old enough for diamond jewelry ?

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
say a necklace or diamond earrings?

Obviously there is a issue with getting lost, wouldn't be an expensive project. I have a tiny diamond that I have no use for but it could be one of a pair for earrings or maybe a little bezel necklace. Any moms have any input? This wouldn't be for my daughter so I don't want to step on anyone's toes or do something that might seem crazy

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had BGD make a diamond bezel necklace with a 10 pointer for my daughter's 10th birthday. She loves it. They even put a one inch jumper on it for her, so she can wear it at 15 and 16 inches.

_32819.jpg

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter will need a medical alert bracelet in the next few years, she is 4.5 years now, I'm thinking of incorporating a bezel set diamond or hard colored stone to encourage her to wear it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughters are adults now. Honestly before 18-20+ you can expect it to either get lost, or never be worn. YMMV of course, but that's what I found. A necklace with a really sturdy chain would be a good idea. Earrings are not a good idea, and a ring would be okay. Just don't let them wear it to school. Nice things always got lost or taken at school, which was sad for them and me.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder|1438271941|3909042 said:
My daughter will need a medical alert bracelet in the next few years, she is 4.5 years now, I'm thinking of incorporating a bezel set diamond or hard colored stone to encourage her to wear it.

You should check out Lauren's Hope for medical alert bracelets. Your daughter could pick out something she likes now. Basically, they engrave the alert tag, and then you buy different bracelets to attach it to. There are a gazillion choices for kids to adults. She could sort of have a "wardrobe" of bracelets that way. I got one of my bracelets there. http://www.laurenshope.com/products/357/2015-catalog

You could do the diamond thing when she's older. ;))

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of teeny diamonds that I'm having made into baby bezels for my friends daughter. She is a newborn, so they can choose when to pierce her ears/wear them. As a baby, I don't expect there to be much chance of loss, but once she gets older/grabbier they might get lost. They are not a huge expense or of the top most quality, and if they choose not to put them on her I wont be hurt.

Anyways, basically saying there is no old enough :D Everyone gets diamonds!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I made my daughter a 0.30ctw pair of OEC buttercup studs, screwbacks, when she was 7 or 8. She's taken excellent care of them and hasn't lost or even removed them (except for an occasional trip through the ultrasonic). She had a sterling silver locket that she wore every minute of every day for a year (she's 10 now) and it never got lost - I just put a really solid chain on it. But I would be hesitant to get her a diamond necklace because those are so easy to lose for a kid. But I think screwback earrings are great for little ones!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter has a tiny diamond pendant that she is allowed to wear on special occasions, and I keep it safe in my drawer.

I think it's nice of you to give such a lovely pressie!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't think that there is an answer to your question because it would vary based on each individual preference. Only you can decide what an appropriate age is when it comes to wearing diamond jewelry =)

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I asked their parents first but I gave my 9 and 12 yr old nieces little diamond earrings. The younger niece received a .10ctw set comprised of tiny pave set diamonds shaped like a heart and the older niece received a .33ctw set which was a little center diamond set in little halos.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think it's whatever age Mom gets to when she's okay with the kids losing or breaking the jewelry. :lol:

My grandparents gave me a nice little Timex when I was 9 and I loved it. But I still managed to slam it against the wall when I was crawling through a cement pipe (thats what passed for playground equipment back in my day). I still remember the exact moment and that sickening feeling in my stomach.

Never did get another watch from them. :)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom gave me a 10K birthstone ring for Christmas when I was 11 getting ready to turn 12 I am now 54, I still have it and if it fit me I would wear it once in awhile :wink2: so my opinion it depends on how mature the child is.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10 seems like an appropriate age to me.

LLJsmom, that pendant is very pretty - I wouldn't mind one for myself lol!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Birth, lol. I'm currently pregnant and will soon (hopefully) find out the sex of the baby. If it's a girl I plan on having a baby bracelet made with a .05 diamond, DBTY style.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1438404195|3909667 said:
10 seems like an appropriate age to me.

LLJsmom, that pendant is very pretty - I wouldn't mind one for myself lol!

Thanks Junebug! I really want one too. Mom liked it so much she borrowed it from my daughter for a wedding. Lol!! N

Btw, my daughter only wears it on weekends and special occasions, not for school. She is very aware and careful with it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my first piece of fine jewelry at 13 (emerald cluster earrings). Still have them.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm.... My daughter is ten, and twice already she's torn the WG chain on a blue topaz bezel I got her for her birthday. The only earrings that haven't gotten split up from their mates at some point are the baby CZ bezels that I refuse to let her remove. Rings? Ha! She makes fun of me when she sees me on PS. She rolls her eyes at AVCs. Is she my child??? Bracelets are meant to be lost or shredded....

Diamonds? Not yet. I'll gauge if she's ready at 18.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results